Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Houston is a bit of a Lazarus story. They were left for dead at the start of this century and in fact were considering giving up IA football.

Art Briles was brought in to run his HS offense and slowly but surely elevated UH to respectable levels. His successor Sumlin benefited from well-developed Briles recruits (namely Case Keenum) and all of a sudden they were in the top 10 during one stretch.

Fast forward to last year and a brilliant gamble on an OSU offensive coordinator with strong Texas recruiting ties brought the program to heights not seen since the late 1980s.

The next 4 months have the potential to vault the program from a one-hit-wonder or upstart, to a full fledged top level contender.

The biggest question will be if the fans come out from the woodworks. That's what separates the G5 program to what the Big12 teams have - large base of fans.
    And as we know the city of Houston isn't exactly known for loyal, dedicated sports fans.

Well except for the Texans...which I will forever be puzzled with.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

We love the pain in a strange way. I think a lot of them would quit watching if the Texans actually became successful.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Houston is a bit of a Lazarus story. They were left for dead at the start of this century and in fact were considering giving up IA football.

Art Briles was brought in to run his HS offense and slowly but surely elevated UH to respectable levels. His successor Sumlin benefited from well-developed Briles recruits (namely Case Keenum) and all of a sudden they were in the top 10 during one stretch.

Fast forward to last year and a brilliant gamble on an OSU offensive coordinator with strong Texas recruiting ties brought the program to heights not seen since the late 1980s.

The next 4 months have the potential to vault the program from a one-hit-wonder or upstart, to a full fledged top level contender.

The biggest question will be if the fans come out from the woodworks. That's what separates the G5 program to what the Big12 teams have - large base of fans.
    And as we know the city of Houston isn't exactly known for loyal, dedicated sports fans.

Sumlin benefited from having Holgorson and Kingsbury

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    reason expansion is needed..................

1 b12 player Blake

http://247sports.com/Article/Preseas...-team-46838477

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I don't know what that has to do with expansion but yeah, it's starting to sink in nationwide that Mahomes > Mayfield

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Yeah, and Baylor might soon be going back to the old ways of getting drubbed 49-0 regularly. Well, maybe not that bad but definitely taking a huge step back.
    We can always hope.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    houston draws ratings Obstructed_View spurs_fan_in_exile Blake

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    I was in the stands so I can't take any credit. I've always ragged on Houston as being a bandwagon sports town but they will turn out for a winner and that might be biggest accomplishment in the last few years: earning the perception of winners.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I get the optimism, but I can't think of a good reason for Houston's inclusion. They do nothing for the conference as far as expansion targets go.

My Team
    St. Mary's Rattlers
    Post Count
    I get the optimism, but I can't think of a good reason for Houston's inclusion. They do nothing for the conference as far as expansion targets go.
    its a top 5 market in the ing nation.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    its a top 5 market in the ing nation.
    That Texas already controls. Why the would they need to add UH? Make recruiting more difficult? Do they make the conference better in the long term? No. It's a good story while Herman is there, but anyone with a brain knows he's out of there in a season or two. Then what? Expansion is stupid because the conference is doomed to fail anyway, but if you must expand go to newer markets.

My Team
    St. Mary's Rattlers
    Post Count
    That Texas already controls. Why the would they need to add UH? Make recruiting more difficult? Do they make the conference better in the long term? No. It's a good story while Herman is there, but anyone with a brain knows he's out of there in a season or two. Then what? Expansion is stupid because the conference is doomed to fail anyway, but if you must expand go to newer markets.
    i dont know if texas necessarily controls the houston market with a&m around and the proximity of lsu and the sec.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Texas will always get recruits. Recruiting would get difficult for TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, and most of all Texas A&M. And no, Texas does not control the Houston market right now. Plenty of Houston guys going to the SEC. If UH gets into the Big 12, why would Herman be in a hurry to go anywhere? He gets a 5 million dollar bonus if they get in the conference. It will look very weak on the Big 12 to add 2 schools outside of Texas while you have a possible playoff contender, at least this year.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    It would also make it harder for SEC teams to recruit Houston as well as they have been.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Texas will always get recruits. Recruiting would get difficult for TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, and most of all Texas A&M. And no, Texas does not control the Houston market right now. Plenty of Houston guys going to the SEC. If UH gets into the Big 12, why would Herman be in a hurry to go anywhere? He gets a 5 million dollar bonus if they get in the conference. It will look very weak on the Big 12 to add 2 schools outside of Texas while you have a possible playoff contender, at least this year.
    Texas has sucked the last six years. That looks to be ending. There is a market correlation between their suckage and their market decline in Houston. Last night they absolutely dominated the ratings. I get that they were the only show on, but still. There is absolutely no incentive for the Big 12 to let Houston in. They'll have a hard time getting 8 votes. Other than a momentary blip of football significance, what do they bring?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Texas has sucked the last six years. That looks to be ending. There is a market correlation between their suckage and their market decline in Houston. Last night they absolutely dominated the ratings. I get that they were the only show on, but still. There is absolutely no incentive for the Big 12 to let Houston in. They'll have a hard time getting 8 votes. Other than a momentary blip of football significance, what do they bring?
    I would argue UH in the Big XII will likely only attract more local Houston kids to consider the Big XII. That is obviously a positive, taking back the market from the SEC. Adding UH will make the conference more compe ive, especially in recruiting. I mean, why are Big XII coaches openly ting their pants at the idea of adding them? One is, they don't want to play them, that is more compe ion. Two, look at what Herman is doing without being in a P5 conference, and if they get in, the Houston market will get harder to recruit. So if you want to make the conference more compe ive, UH needs a spot.

UH/OU had better ratings in Houston than UT/ND, so no UT actually did not dominate the ratings in Houston. UH/OU drew a better rating in Houston without being the only game on.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    So, who votes for Houston? They need 8 votes. Where do they get them?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Never said they WILL get the votes, I agree they won't get the votes. All I know is Texas will be one. I think Memphis being cut from consideration while Rice and Tulane are being considered signals expansion may not happen at all.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That's what I've been saying. There's no reason to expand. There's no more more money to be had, no more prestige to extract. If Texas is on the rise (again) then that will take care of many of the leagues problems. At least until 2021 when Texas leaves.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Tech has said out loud they approve Houston.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Well there's one. I know Texas has come out and said they'll vote for them. There's two. Who else? I'll bet TCU isn't going to vote for them.

Post Count
    Cincinnati needs to be one of the teams added. It's not fair to WVU for them to have no other Big XII school remotely close to it. They may end up leaving if we don't give them at least one team with at least some degree of proximity to play.

Post Count
    Well there's one. I know Texas has come out and said they'll vote for them. There's two. Who else? I'll bet TCU isn't going to vote for them.
    I don't see the Oklahoma schools wanting more recruiting compe ion either. Baylor is almost certainly a no vote.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I don't see the Oklahoma schools wanting more recruiting compe ion either. Baylor is almost certainly a no vote.
    I thought sure Tech wouldn't want to fight Houston for east Texas recruits either. Oh well.

Thread Information