Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tate-expansion

With Big 12 expansion back on the table, officials from the University of Houston, the University of Memphis, University of Central Florida and Colorado State University have been lobbying members of the Big 12's composition committee, according to do ents ESPN.com has obtained.

West Virginia president Gordon Gee is one of three Big 12 presidents on the committee, which is charged with exploring expansion candidates. Do ents reveal that Gee has been busy in that role in recent months, which has included a trip to the University of Houston in late November.

Do ents show that Gee flew to Houston on Nov. 29 to tour the school's athletic facilities and speak with top officials. According to an itinerary outlining the visit, Gee met with Houston president Renu Khator for more than an hour the morning of Nov. 30, then was taken on a tour of the athletic facilities by athletic director Hunter Yurachek and football coach Tom Herman. Gee finished up by having lunch with Khator, three of the school's regents, vice chancellor Eloise Stuhr and Camden Property Trust CEO Ric Campo, who reportedly played a major part in the city of Houston landing the 2017 Super Bowl.

Khator followed up by forwarding Gee a spreadsheet of the Houston football team's TV ratings in the Houston market during the 2015 season.

Khator, however, isn't the only Big 12 expansion president that Gee has been in contact with.

On Feb. 24, Memphis president David Rudd penned a letter to Gee and copied Oklahoma president David Boren and Baylor president Ken Starr, the other two members of the composition committee, as well as former Big 12 board chairman and Kansas State president Kirk Schulz. In the letter, Rudd pledged that Memphis will make a $500 million investment in academic and athletic infrastructure over the next five years. Rudd also enclosed a letter from FedEx chairman Fred Smith, who stated that the delivery services giant headquartered in Memphis will be behind the school's Big 12 campaign.

"We strongly support the university's efforts to become a member of an expanded Big 12 athletic conference," Smith wrote to Rudd in a letter dated Feb. 23. "In support of [Memphis'] Big 12 aspirations, we have researched college conference sponsorships and are prepared to become a major Big 12 sponsor of football and basketball."

Smith also wrote that FedEx would be prepared to sponsor a Big 12 championship game.

We believe the University of Memphis and the Big 12 are a great fit and hope our support will contribute to the University of Memphis becoming a member of this storied athletic conference in the near future," Smith wrote.

Other do ents ESPN.com gathered show that the presidents at Colorado State and Central Florida also sent brochures to Gee promoting their schools to the Big 12.

"I appreciate very much our [phone] conversation, and I appreciate the information you sent me," Gee wrote UCF president John Hitt on Oct. 6. "Be assured that the University of Central Florida is very much on our radar screen. The future of expansion is very much uncertain, but I also know that we are looking at these issues very carefully given the tumultuous nature of college athletics."

Gee also praised Colorado State in a July 21 letter to president Tony Frank.

"Indeed, Colorado State is making a statement and moving swiftly into the forefront of universities, not only in your region but nationally," Gee wrote. "Be assured that my colleagues in the Big 12 and I will take careful notice."

Boren has pushed Big 12 expansion back into the limelight, repeatedly calling the league "psychologically disadvantaged' without 12 teams, a championship game and a conference network.

The Big 12 presidents and athletic directors will meet again May 31 in Irving, Texas, where the topic of possible expansion is expected to be discussed heavily.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    They should have added Louisville instead of Neck Virginia

Post Count
    Big 12 does not need Memphis or Houston.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Adding Memphis is so underwhelming.

Houston should have been added in the very beginning over Baylor.

I would consider adding Memphis simply for the basketball team and the fact that they will have a backer like FedEx behind them. I think that BYU and Colorado St. are probably the best options though.

Post Count
    Hopefully Tulane will eventually get an invite in the next few years to bring that New Orleans market and Louisiana recruiting IF the new coaches in football and basketball build successful programs like the new baseball coach has the last two seasons. Tulane brings academic credibility as well. Enough talent in the state to consistently win.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    I'd like them to expand by 4 to 14 by bringing in four of the strongest AAC programs.

Houston, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and East Carolina would be my choice.

Expanding the footprint into Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina brings in a ton of eyes and attention.
    It's a combination of teams that either have been, are or can be highly compe ive on the BCS level.

Lots of potential and strong support.

In terms of geography, if you're already in the mountains of Appalachia, then might as well bring in a North Carolina school that is rabid as any big 12 base.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    I'll amend my post to say the four teams should (could) be:

1) BYU
    2) Cincinnati
    3) Houston
    4) Tulane

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Why Tulane?

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    I personally didn't consider them until a couple sources - espn writer/BYU channel brought them up as a potential wildcard.

And the reasons brought up are among other things, the academic contribution for the league.

They would be to the Big12 what Vandy/Northwestern/Duke are to their respective conferences.
    Sure historically a likely cruddy on-field record, but the potential to better themselves with the P5 money.

Personally, I was thinking Tulane would be a good add-on to the other 3 most brought up.
    I mean there's gotta be programs that ride the middle/bottom of every conference.

And to clarify all of this is if the conference wants to add 4 teams.

If it's just two, then it's gonna be a wild free for all.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count

My Team
    Iowa State Cyclones
    Post Count
    I like the idea of opening up the Big 12 to these schools. Remember, many didn't think TCU would amount to anything coming into the conference, and now they're one of the best programs in football.

Post Count
    I'm a Tulane alum so I can make a case outside of athletic performance. Tulane can bring the New Orleans market as well as Louisiana recruiting into the Big 12. Also, it's an prestigious academic ins ution which would help the Big 12's overall ranking. Performance on the field has to improve in football and basketball, but they have brought in a new president, new AD and new coaches in football and basketball (Mike Dunleavy) so things should improve on the field as well. However, they need to show it for a few seasons. The previous president and AD were disasters for the last 16 years.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I'm a Tulane alum so I can make a case outside of athletic performance. Tulane can bring the New Orleans market as well as Louisiana recruiting into the Big 12. Also, it's an prestigious academic ins ution which would help the Big 12's overall ranking. Performance on the field has to improve in football and basketball, but they have brought in a new president, new AD and new coaches in football and basketball (Mike Dunleavy) so things should improve on the field as well. However, they need to show it for a few seasons. The previous president and AD were disasters for the last 16 years.
    Sounds good to me.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Since we got Tech and Iowa State fans here...

What do ya'll honestly feel the Big 12 should do, keeping in mind the best interests of your respective teams?

I know bringing in a team like UH for example is not being received too well primarily for the recruiting aspect - they would take players who otherwise would sign with Tech, ISU, OU, and the like, to be able to play in a P5 league.

As objectively as I can portray Houston's inclusion, I would say that having a potential formidable team in the conference will add to the long-term viability of it - in other words the schools I mentioned may lose those recruits here and there, but won't have to run for cover should Horn or Sooner decide to pack up and leave.

I think Tech would be a candidate for Pac, but who knows maybe UT wants to take UH as its partner during the next round...

ISU is a AAU school, so they would be attractive in that regard...but it would be hard to get into the Big10 with the Hawkeyes there, and not sure if the SEC would covet that geographical area.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I dunno. I'm mixed on it.

Houston makes sense but it's boring and adds a middle team just like Tech and Tcu

It also doesn't add any extra market value to the big 12

There are no sexy choices unless it is true that Nebraska wants back and UCLA can get out of the PAC 10. If that were the case then I would push for BYU and Houston and get 14 teams. I doubt those rumors have much merit to them.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    I dunno. I'm mixed on it.

Houston makes sense but it's boring and adds a middle team just like Tech and Tcu

It also doesn't add any extra market value to the big 12
    they add another top 25 program to the conference..............

with houston

without houston

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    That's a one year thing. At the end of the day, they're a middle tier football program.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    That's a one year thing. At the end of the day, they're a middle tier football program.
    Yeah, and Baylor might soon be going back to the old ways of getting drubbed 49-0 regularly. Well, maybe not that bad but definitely taking a huge step back.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    No, it's not a one year thing. Tom Herman makes them more than that, if you haven't seen the type of talent he is pulling in.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    No, it's not a one year thing. Tom Herman makes them more than that, if you haven't seen the type of talent he is pulling in.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/

What do you consider being 41? Upper middle?

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/

What do you consider being 41? Upper middle?
    https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2017
    And they move up 9 spots the next year. Like I said, Herman will have them in the top 20. Top flight coach building a big time program.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2017
    And they move up 9 spots the next year. Like I said, Herman will have them in the top 20. Top flight coach building a big time program.
    No he won't. It's still Houston

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Bye Bye BYU

Thread Information