Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/sp...finals-absence

BY JEFF GARCIA, SPURS ZONEMONDAY, JUNE 20TH 2016
    After coming off an NBA le in 2014, the San Antonio Spurs were looking to win their first back-to-back les in 2015. The team ended up getting eliminated by the Clippers in 7-games in the opening round.

In the 2015-16 season, the Spurs set a franchise record 67-wins last season, only lost once at home, had an MVP candidate on the roster (Kawhi Leonard), and were expected to face the Warriors in the 2016 Western Conference Finals.

Instead, they faced the Thunder in the West semifinals and saw their historic season come to a crashing end, losing to OKC 2-4 .

So what has been wrong for San Antonio in the playoffs? Why haven't they been back on the biggest stage in the NBA?
    According to guard Danny Green the issue has been team chemistry.
    "I think the chemistry. We had some different faces since we won (2014 NBA le). A couple of guys left and even after last year we have a different team now. Newer guys, newer system. It's a different system, different flow. We were changing how we were doing things. With that being said, it takes a while for chemistry to build. Takes a while for guys to get used to that type of style of play for guys that have been there. Once we have that foundation, we have at least one year under our belt I think it will be even better."

As for getting eliminated by the Thunder, Green points to a lack of production from everyone on the roster but credits OKC for their outstanding play.

"It was frustrating that we didn't get there. We thought we were good enough. We played well all year. We can't take nothing away from OKC. They were playing very good basketball they played very well. Not just their superstars but their others, they showed up. I think we went back into a style of play that was not our natural Spurs basketball. They were playing very well and we had games like most games just like our season where we needed everyone to play very well and we couldn't get that.

Just came to a point where a team (OKC) had more guys on their team playing well than our guys on our team."

Once again the Spurs are left to ponder next season. Will it be another great regular season only to see it end too soon in the playoffs? Can they get back to the promised land in the rough Western Conference? What adjustments are needed to the roster?
    Green is right. This team has changed since 2014. No longer is the team's core (Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker) the focal point. That is now LaMarcus Aldridge and Kawhi Leonard.

However, more changes are coming to San Antonio this offseason. Whether it be retirement for Duncan or Ginobili or both, players being traded, free agent pick ups, or the team getting younger, team chemistry will be front and center once again heading into next season. Will "team chemistry" be the excuse again should the team fail to reach the Finals?

As for Green's play last season, he is quick to point out is was disappointing but is optimistic he will be back on track for the 2016-17 season.

"I thought it was not a good one. Obviously, percentage wise I didn't shoot it or play as well as I have normally have done in the past. I also think it was an adjustment. Something to work on. Getting used to the system. It's a different system in the last couple of years. This year was very different. Just move forward, don't look back. Use it as a learning experience.

I want to have a better season than I had last year."

Last edited by south side spur; 06-20-2016 at 12:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Tiago was the the real MVP?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ferrari

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought it was common knowledge that we were blaming David West for this season's debacle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes��������
    Cojo ��������������������

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the i thought we could use emojis now?!

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncans other knee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was the line "Oh I also was MIA during the Playoffs too" omitted

dumbass

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs had the same roster in 2015 and went fishing in the first round.

It was time for a roster change then, and it still is now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not buying this at all..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was the line "Oh I also was MIA during the Playoffs too" omitted

dumbass
    Yeah, because he totally didn't play well in the post-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs had the same roster in 2015 and went fishing in the first round.

It was time for a roster change then, and it still is now.
    Yes, this is true. And it's just the reality that you can't stay the same forever. Teams need change, and changes bring growing pains. What makes it worse is if you resist change until you HAVE to do it, because then it comes suddenly.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, this is true. And it's just the reality that you can't stay the same forever. Teams need change, and changes bring growing pains. What makes it worse is if you resist change until you HAVE to do it, because then it comes suddenly.
    I'll let you know Kyle Anderson can facilitate once our old turds retire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's be honest, we don't beat the Thunder in 2014 without parker getting hurt... Cojo

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That le team played together very well. It's not really breaking news that this year's team didn't step up the way that one did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Patty Mills but he hasn't been the same since he got his big contract and had surgery on his shoulder. He hasn't looked like the same player and is not the answer at PG. Losing Baynes, CoJo and Ferrari hurt bench production this year, as did Boris' no show. I thought Ginobili was pretty good given his new role but no one else stepped up.

Boban was nice and fun to watch at times but lets be real, he's not a difference maker once the playoffs start. He's the guy you put in against the scrubs to finish out games. He's too slow, can't rebound and lacks the athleticism to be an effective defensive player. He's also very soft on offense. He doesn't like contact, gets the ball stripped way too much and often falls down during games.

The Spurs need a Center or PF tp cover up LaMarcus' poor defense and rebounding. Someone they can count on to do the non-glamorous workman stuff. Lamarcus is a scorer and that is it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Patty Mills but he hasn't been the same since he got his big contract and had surgery on his shoulder. He hasn't looked like the same player and is not the answer at PG. Losing Baynes, CoJo and Ferrari hurt bench production this year, as did Boris' no show. I thought Ginobili was pretty good given his new role but no one else stepped up.

Boban was nice and fun to watch at times but lets be real, he's not a difference maker once the playoffs start. He's the guy you put in against the scrubs to finish out games. He's too slow, can't rebound and lacks the athleticism to be an effective defensive player. He's also very soft on offense. He doesn't like contact, gets the ball stripped way too much and often falls down during games.

The Spurs need a Center or PF tp cover up LaMarcus' poor defense and rebounding. Someone they can count on to do the non-glamorous workman stuff. Lamarcus is a scorer and that is it.

You didn't mention Splitter. We really missed his PNR abilities. That alone would get the defense moving around so the Sours could start moving the ball around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well said. Spurs have lots of things to fix up. Also getting a slasher type (I'm not a fan of Simmons, tbh).

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't know Patty was bad in 2015.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting paid 2MIL a year to bail out his counterpart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't mention Splitter. We really missed his PNR abilities. That alone would get the defense moving around so the Sours could start moving the ball around.
    I agree, we did miss the Tiago Splitter that helped us win a Championship. Unfortunately, I think he's finished as a player. I put the guy out of my mind after he was inconsistent and undependable two years ago. He's just not durable enough for the NBA. It's too much for his body. I'm glad we had for the Championship though. It was his last hurrah.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's be honest, we don't beat the Thunder in 2014 without parker getting hurt... Cojo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't know Patty was bad in 2015.
    What are you laughing about? After the Spurs won the Championship in 2013, Mills was bad in 2014 and 2015. Last year, with a full training camp under his belt, he was supposed to have a bounce back year. Are you debating that he wasn't good?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we beat OKC in the WCF in 2013/2014 Championship season but it might have taken 7 games. F'ing Parker. It was so friggin typical of him to be hurt.

Thread Information