Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like a fair analogy to me, except it misses the parts where the overall benefit of infrastructure, and trade with other states offsets the cost.

Failure to fully consider all evidence, costs, and benefits is a very common failing in the way many people view governments.
    An analogy is saying something is similar to something else. What he gave was a hypothetical given the principal actors and a lot of wishful thinking as you've noted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like a fair analogy to me, except it misses the parts where the overall benefit of infrastructure, and trade with other states offsets the cost.

Failure to fully consider all evidence, costs, and benefits is a very common failing in the way many people view governments.

An analogy is saying something is similar to something else. What he gave was a hypothetical given the principal actors and a lot of wishful thinking as you've noted.

like the EU is really going to quit trading with the UK....

Why don't we wait and see just how much "damage" there is to UK trade?

Apparently the smart money is deciding it's not as bad as the chicken littles say...UK stock market is way back up today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

like the EU is really going to quit trading with the UK....

Why don't we wait and see just how much "damage" there is to UK trade?

Apparently the smart money is deciding it's not as bad as the chicken littles say...UK stock market is way back up today.
    Stock market stopped being a popular economic indicator when I was about 12 personally. I was taught in secondary school that the economic impacts of government policies take months at the very least. That's why they evaluate quarterly.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK won't leave.

Cameron, staying in office for 4 or 5 more months, says won't invoke Article 50, dumping Article 50 on the next PM (maybe UK's Trash, also with the dyed hair) who probably won't, either.

2/3 of Parliament don't want to leave, and they elect the next PM.

It's all racist, xenophobic, bigoted B U L L S H I T by suckered old people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK won't leave.

Cameron, staying in office for 4 or 5 more months, says won't invoke Article 50, dumping Article 50 on the next PM (maybe UK's Trash, also with the dyed hair) who probably won't, either.

2/3 of Parliament don't want to leave, and they elect the next PM.

It's all racist, xenophobic, bigoted B U L L S H I T by suckered old people.
    The vote was by the same margin Obama beat Romney. It wasn't even close. They are going to have a hard time ignoring the will of the people.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Leftists, 2000: "This is America, count every vote!"

Leftists, 2016: "Who cares if the British people overwhelmingly voted to leave the EU? We'll just ignore their votes! Democracy is stupid when it doesn't go our way, anyway!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The vote was by the same margin Obama beat Romney. It wasn't even close. They are going to have a hard time ignoring the will of the people.
    They've ignored it for centuries.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The UK will do not leave.

There is already huge division, and ignorance about Leaving and what the EU actually is and means, among the Leavers.

Leavers are older, white, white nationalist, racist, bigoted, xenophobic, just like you Repug base assholes.

The referendum was advisory, not mandatory.

BigFinance (London) will have the final say, as it does everywhere.

Politicians ignore voters' preferences all the time, esp in USA.

2/3 of Parliament are against Leaving. Parliament makes the laws, not voters.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They've ignored it for centuries.
    Most empires tend to do that.

Their current parlimentaty system might be more cognizant of popular whims than our two party system.

I think the writers of our cons ution understood you do not immediately write a referendum the second after events stir the populous into a fervor (GB did not do this, but they gambled) This seems to escape some posters on this board. Donald needs to learn to sit on his statements for about a week before vomitting out nonsense as an example of a popular impulsive LEADER of the free world.
    Last edited by pgardn; 06-29-2016 at 07:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    siding with Wall Street, the Establishment, the elites, the media, all the stars like JK Rowling - all out of touch with the common man.
    JK Rowling was a waitress a few years ago.

Born in Yate, Gloucestershire, England, Rowling was working as a researcher and bilingual secretary for Amnesty International when she conceived the idea for the Harry Potter series while on a delayed train from Manchester to London in 1990.[6] The seven-year period that followed saw the death of her mother, birth of her first child, divorce from her first husband and relative poverty until she finished the first novel in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, in 1997.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling

How exactly is she "out of touch"?

What is "the establishment"?

Who are the elites?

Why are they bad?

So much sentiment that needs some scrutiny, so little time. You seem to be one of the more intelligent, reasonable people that posts here, so I find it a bit fascinating that you seem to hold the kinds of beliefs that, to me, just don't seem to hold up to any kind of critical evaluation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rmt "more intelligent, reasonable people"

rmt is wrong on everything, and gives money to Trash.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JK Rowling was a waitress a few years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling

How exactly is she "out of touch"?

What is "the establishment"?

Who are the elites?

Why are they bad?

So much sentiment that needs some scrutiny, so little time. You seem to be one of the more intelligent, reasonable people that posts here, so I find it a bit fascinating that you seem to hold the kinds of beliefs that, to me, just don't seem to hold up to any kind of critical evaluation.
    1997 is hardly a few years ago - hard to believe it's so long but that's almost 20 years ago. I know her history - she did a very inspirational commencement speech at Harvard a couple years? back and we are huge fans of her books, but 20 years is a long time. And I wonder whether her opinion would be the same today if she were still a penniless secretary with nothing to her name. Most of the "London" types - media, politicians, financiers, etc got the mood of the country very wrong. I didn't say they were "bad" - just that they were out of touch. Everyone else followed suit - there was a run up on stocks before in anticipation of Remain. I remember the exact moment when they realized that it was gonna be Leave - the price of gold shot up - stunning reversal.

Anyway, I thank you for the compliment - I believe it's the first here. No, there was also a very kind person who pointed me in the right direction when I got too caught up. Usually I get pounded un-mercilessly with nasty names for holding opinions contrary to most here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The UK will do not leave.

There is already huge division, and ignorance about Leaving and what the EU actually is and means, among the Leavers.

Leavers are older, white, white nationalist, racist, bigoted, xenophobic, just like you Repug base assholes.

The referendum was advisory, not mandatory.

BigFinance (London) will have the final say, as it does everywhere.

Politicians ignore voters' preferences all the time, esp in USA.

2/3 of Parliament are against Leaving. Parliament makes the laws, not voters.
    Boots, things are already rolling. It's done. GB will hurt for a unspecified time period starting 2 days ago.

As as I see it, GB has already been very unhappy with some trading aspects of the EU and some decentralization of their justice system ( other aspects also) There is not a country in the EU that is happy about every aspect of the organization. But the other EU remain because they understand the ramifications of leaving or getting booted out. Some countries (Norway) choose to operate outside the EU fully realizing they lose some economic advantages. ( I would love to see some of the people in my age group with unsatisfactory job situations go to Norway and see how the older generation is sucking the younger harder workers dry. Perish the thought of thinking the US is screwing the young, it's all relative)

Current events involving mass migration away from wars ignited an already volatile foreign worker/immigration problem. This added to dissatisfaction that was already present. David Cameron saw the popular dissatisfaction coming to a head as a chance to extract a more favorable deal from the EU in the name of GB. And he got concessions from the EU that other members did not have the standing to possibly ask for. Further, Cameron used the threat of a referendum he never wanted passed as leverage to gain concessions. So now he has succeeded except...

Well the popular fervor boosted by economic situation of older folks, and "wary of immigrant" younger working class people, voted to LEAVE in large numbers. Now the game is supposed to continue and the newly found power of the popular vote headed by a Trump like Boris Johnson have not a clue what to do. They have not a Fckn clue how their entire country functions. But the will of the people won. So now they go slinking back to those with the know how to plead for help.

Those with the know how had really never expected to have to solve a LEAVE problem and did not take appropriate measures. And THE PEOPLE, the 52% and their leaders, don't have a Fkn clue that the ramifications of their vote went beyond their individual, highly specific reasons for voting to leave.

Again, the good of the whole vs. the will of the individual plays out in an extraordinary way. Selfish behavior when living with close ties to other individuals can be a .

This is a very interesting new experiment playing on a very old theme. IMO of course.
    Last edited by pgardn; 06-29-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rmt "more intelligent, reasonable people"

rmt is wrong on everything, and gives money to Trash.

$25 is lower than the Bernie average. Anyways, I'll give something much more valuable - my time. I've never been involved in a political campaign before so I look forward to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1997 is hardly a few years ago - hard to believe it's so long but that's almost 20 years ago. I know her history - she did a very inspirational commencement speech at Harvard a couple years? back and we are huge fans of her books, but 20 years is a long time. And I wonder whether her opinion would be the same today if she were still a penniless secretary with nothing to her name. Most of the "London" types - media, politicians, financiers, etc got the mood of the country very wrong. I didn't say they were "bad" - just that they were out of touch. Everyone else followed suit - there was a run up on stocks before in anticipation of Remain. I remember the exact moment when they realized that it was gonna be Leave - the price of gold shot up - stunning reversal.

Anyway, I thank you for the compliment - I believe it's the first here. No, there was also a very kind person who pointed me in the right direction when I got too caught up. Usually I get pounded un-mercilessly with nasty names for holding opinions contrary to most here.
    Read my post above about the dangers of "moods" and the will of the individual. See above. IMHO...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK will be fine. There will be some short term dislocation but the economic devastation hysteria is way overblown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK will be fine. There will be some short term dislocation but the economic devastation hysteria is way overblown.
    Easy for you to say living here.

It is a totally unnecessary mess. And of course they will be fine in a relative way. You would be fine in a relative way if your taxes increased by 20%, so would I. But do you want that to happen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy for you to say living here.

It is a totally unnecessary mess. And of course they will be fine in a relative way. You would be fine in a relative way if your taxes increased by 20%, so would I. But do you want that to happen?
    talk about hysteria.

The EU needs trade with UK as much as the UK needs trade with them.

They will work something out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    talk about hysteria.

yep, like not implementing Article 50 at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    talk about hysteria.

You are a business man and don't get it.
    Ok.
    Anecdotal example of a PH.D. in Austin and his group working here at UT in Austin. They get funds from GB and the US and big oil for some incredible research in reading and mapping possible oil geological features. This whole group is on hold because as of right now their FUTURE funding from GB is unknown. (Yes, this has even seeped into science and this affects all sorts of other aspects such as oil research and economies)

What they are now NOT doing and will not be doing for the foreseeable future| Buying cars. Buying homes. In the US. Which they HAD planned on doing. Now take this example and extrapolate. Hysteria...? Caution and the unknown with projects going forward brings a machine to a halt. And this is going to be delayed even further it now appears with GB saying they will take their time.

Understandable? This is not good now and there are no promises how DELAYS in the flow of money and brains affect the future.

So maybe you got another laugh emoji for him and the group he works with. I'm OK, you're Ok...got it.
    Last edited by pgardn; 06-29-2016 at 09:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there is temporary uncertainty and there will be some temporary financial dislocation as things get worked out. I'm saying it's not Armageddon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read my post above about the dangers of "moods" and the will of the individual. See above. IMHO...
    Is that any different from those who vote for someone because he's black or because she's a woman? Most voters are not knowledgeable on the issues - I'm as guilty as most - this is the first election cycle that I've paid any notice to - was just too busy raising kids and living life - I must say politics is fascinating (and so dirty). But in the end, even with much more knowledge, I'm still going to vote the same way. People are always going to vote their self-interest.

No one knows what will happen - it's early days yet - it might turn out to be better in the long run. But I totally understand the feeling the common Brit has of taking back their country and iden y. I've visited Europe twice - before kids - and I doubt that the Europe that I saw and has been for so long is what it is today in just a couple decades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the huge issues is ending the free movement of people between EU countries.

100Ks of EU people live in UK, and same with UK people living in EU countries. None of these Ms of ex-patriots have needed visas, now what?

And all y'all's fellow bigots, racists, xenophobes in UK aren't gonna get rid of the Ms of Indians, Pakistanis, Greeks, Poles, French, etc in UK any more than you bigots, racists, xenophobes can get rid of Hispanics and knitters in the US.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-29-2016 at 09:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there is temporary uncertainty and there will be some temporary financial dislocation as things get worked out. I'm saying it's not Armageddon.
    Where did I say it's Armageddon?

Its was totally unnecessary. Uncertainty can lead to Unknown outcomes based purely on erratic random behavior. (Somewhat like my posting)
    Dont you think the people of Britain who voted stay might be a bit frustrated?
    Now, practically everyone admits it is a mess.
    Last edited by pgardn; 06-29-2016 at 10:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that any different from those who vote for someone because he's black or because she's a woman? Most voters are not knowledgeable on the issues - I'm as guilty as most - this is the first election cycle that I've paid any notice to - was just too busy raising kids and living life - I must say politics is fascinating (and so dirty). But in the end, even with much more knowledge, I'm still going to vote the same way. People are always going to vote their self-interest.

No one knows what will happen - it's early days yet - it might turn out to be better in the long run. But I totally understand the feeling the common Brit has of taking back their country and iden y. I've visited Europe twice - before kids - and I doubt that the Europe that I saw and has been for so long is what it is today in just a couple decades.
    If the bolded is true, and you put "only" in that sentence, we are screwed IMO.

I would gladly pay more in taxes for public education if I thought it would really help our country's young people identify impulsive, narcissistic, fear-mongering, xenophobic, hateful, selfish, tunneled vision leaders and citizens.

Taking back the country... They now have less control over their destiny. No doubt in my mind. They just cut out their bargaining power. But they can keep their country whiter and poorer. There are many poor white Eastern European countries that admire them. Good show!
    Last edited by pgardn; 06-29-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Thread Information