Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think OBL, a devout Muslim would be saying, much less truly believing that Jesus is his Lord and Savior? The unforgivable sin probably only applies in the context of people who are already saved (as in what could unsave them) - not to nonbelievers.
    I'm not surprised you missed the point of that cartoon. It's irrelevant whether the actual OBL asked to be saved. The cartoon is correctly pointing out that he could have and according to many devout people, he would be accepted in heaven. lol

My children's science education is fine.
    Says who? You?
    One does not have to actively teach in order for children to learn. The library and internet are filled with science books and resources.
    Weren't you homeschooling them? I wish I had a teacher that told me, "meh [subject] isn't my strong suit. Go browse the internet for a while and see how much you learn."
    And homeschooling affords a lot more time to try different, nontraditional things like coding a website (at 9 years old).
    Ever wonder why some of those things aren't traditional? I think it's hilarious that a non-native citizen who doesn't have a job and complains about high taxes chose to homeschool their children. Really allows me to get an idea of the mindset of you and your husband.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not surprised you missed the point of that cartoon. It's irrelevant whether the actual OBL asked to be saved. The cartoon is correctly pointing out that he could have and according to many devout people, he would be accepted in heaven. lol

Says who? You?
    Weren't you homeschooling them? I wish I had a teacher that told me, "meh [subject] isn't my strong suit. Go browse the internet for a while and see how much you learn."
    Ever wonder why some of those things aren't traditional? I think it's hilarious that a non-native citizen who doesn't have a job and complains about high taxes chose to homeschool their children. Really allows me to get an idea of the mindset of you and your husband.
    I think you missed the point. Salvation is/was available to all - yes, that includes Hitler, OBL, whatever bad guy you can think of. We have all sinned and no matter what we have done before, if we repent, salvation is available. Now whether one chooses to accept is my point.

Says being 1 of 40 accepted into FSU's (one of our state universities) math and science summer camp, being offered freshman tuition and out-of-state waiver to join UT's Turing Honors program, interning at Google, AP scores, SAT 2 test scores, need I go on...

My focus in homeschooling was the 3 Rs. Once a child reads well, writes well and knows math, he can teach himself just about anything. Of course, he requires guidance and asks questions but nothing that my husband can't answer or be found on the internet. And which do you prefer - to be spoon fed everything or to be given the tools to learn how to think for one's self? What is science especially before high school but applied reading and in high school adding in applied math? There are all kinds of ways of educating kids - and the more different methods is beneficial - homeschooling, self-schooling, online, traditional (whether private, charter or public) and each one has value and its proper function. I take advantage of all of them.

I don't consider myself as not having a job - I have the best job in the world - to stay home and take care of my family. I am against MORE taxes (usually when discussing free healthcare/college tuition). I want taxes to stay the same and for them to work down the debt and lower taxes for corporations so that they will come back/stay here. And as far as money is concerned, I don't do badly. How about NUGT - $108 on Tuesday and hits $147 on Friday - never seen a stock like that.

When your 9 year old says I wanna do a website for my Pokemon stuff, what's one to do but give her a HTML book and say "Go at it" - I don't put limits on what they want to try or do. If it's possible and is within our budget, I think it's a great idea to try stuff.

OT: Congratulations to American Sam Querry on beating world #1 Djokovic at Wimbledon and stopping the calendar Grand Slam.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shastafarian, one more thought. Just so you don't think that I scoff at the traditional, I want to make a plug (for anyone ever considering homeschooling) for The Well Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home - I did Language Arts and History based on this book by Susan Wise Bauer (also author of Story of the World). It teaches the really old fashioned way (a la Benjamin Franklin) of copy work, narration, dictation, outlining, heavy on the grammar and none of the current method of first graders writing 2 pages of what they did on their summer holiday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you missed the point. Salvation is/was available to all - yes, that includes Hitler, OBL, whatever bad guy you can think of. We have all sinned and no matter what we have done before, if we repent, salvation is available. Now whether one chooses to accept is my point.
    Again, I understand that dogma. That is exactly what the cartoon is lambasting.

I don't consider myself as not having a job - I have the best job in the world - to stay home and take care of my family.
    Not recognized as a real job unfortunately
    I am against MORE taxes (usually when discussing free healthcare/college tuition). I want taxes to stay the same and for them to work down the debt and lower taxes for corporations so that they will come back/stay here.
    any idea how many corporations don't pay any taxes at all? So basically you're for GIVING corporations money (which we also do with huge subsidies). That's cute.
    And as far as money is concerned, I don't do badly. How about NUGT - $108 on Tuesday and hits $147 on Friday - never seen a stock like that.
    Which makes your conservatism even more detestable. My favorite Jesus quote is, "Blessed be the poor, for staying poor when the rich get lower taxes is super awesome."

When your 9 year old says I wanna do a website for my Pokemon stuff, what's one to do but give her a HTML book and say "Go at it" - I don't put limits on what they want to try or do. If it's possible and is within our budget, I think it's a great idea to try stuff.
    That's all well and good. But that's not what school is. That's a hobby for a 9 year old. Maybe someday that hobby will turn into something more but to use that as an example of the benefits of homeschooling is ROFL.

Shastafarian, one more thought. Just so you don't think that I scoff at the traditional, I want to make a plug (for anyone ever considering homeschooling) for The Well Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home - I did Language Arts and History based on this book by Susan Wise Bauer (also author of Story of the World). It teaches the really old fashioned way (a la Benjamin Franklin) of copy work, narration, dictation, outlining, heavy on the grammar and none of the current method of first graders writing 2 pages of what they did on their summer holiday.
    How about you just don't homeschool? There are better options for almost everyone. Private or public, unless you're an educator by heart/trade (someone who can teach science for example) homeschooling should be a last resort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    existential threat to Germany?

The Germans’ primordial fear is the loss of the European free trade zone. This is an existential issue for them. This is why, for all the German posturing, in the end the Germans made deals with the Greeks that they knew the Greeks could never comply with. The Germans put on a good show, but they never would have pushed the Greeks out of the EU. Had this happened and the Greek economy improved, it would have set the most dangerous precedent possible for the Germans.

This is the case with the U.K. Exports to Britain are critical to Germany, and the Germans may posture, but they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face by breaking trade relations with Britain. The German fear is that the British decision to leave will spread to other countries and that this might start a reconsideration of the free trade zone.
    http://www.realclearworld.com/articl...ll_111927.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, I understand that dogma. That is exactly what the cartoon is lambasting.

Not recognized as a real job unfortunately
    any idea how many corporations don't pay any taxes at all? So basically you're for GIVING corporations money (which we also do with huge subsidies). That's cute.
    Which makes your conservatism even more detestable. My favorite Jesus quote is, "Blessed be the poor, for staying poor when the rich get lower taxes is super awesome."

That's all well and good. But that's not what school is. That's a hobby for a 9 year old. Maybe someday that hobby will turn into something more but to use that as an example of the benefits of homeschooling is ROFL.

How about you just don't homeschool? There are better options for almost everyone. Private or public, unless you're an educator by heart/trade (someone who can teach science for example) homeschooling should be a last resort.
    You might think that salvation being free and available to all is foolish and worth lambasting, but who then should decide whether someone is good enough to get into a heaven? That's what the Reformation was partly about - that one didn't have to "work" one's way there - that you just believe and you're in.

What is a job? A way of making money - well, I've found other ways to do that from my home. Self-fulfillment and self-worth - check, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than care for the people most important to me. Why else do you have a job?

Why do you think Burger King has left for Canada and why Actavis/Allergan and Pfizer (which failed) ran off to Ireland? Are so many companies leaving the country to re-organize in other countries because the taxes here are so low? Lower the corporation tax and close off the loop holes.

I render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and I he. I give generously of my time and money. Conservatism doesn't mean don't make the most of your God given brain and the best of your opportunities. I am a good steward of what God has blessed me with and I don't think I should be giving the government more of it to waste.

Open your mind to the many different ways of educating a child - it's not just your way of public school. This is part of the reason why education is doing poorly in this country - forcing kids to stay in bad schools just because they live in that neighborhood. We should be open to allowing school choice among public schools, but no, the teachers' unions will fight that tooth and nail - no matter what it does to the kids and their parents keep supporting the democrats and their support of unions to their own kids' detriment. Homeschooling is not just school work - it's a lifestyle - it's educating a child in all areas of life. And that hobby has turned into an internship at Google.

What do you have against home schooling? Am I still not paying property taxes on my home (and my rental) and not making use of those funds - freeing up more funds for other kids. I pay for my own curriculum (which is very cheap compared to public school textbooks). It is naive to think that only an educator by trade can do a good job of education. I am super motivated to educate my kids, I have the freedom to choose curriculum and cater the style of teaching to each child (what works for one child doesn't necessarily work for another) - this is not even counting in the one-on-one individualized time with each child which a public school teacher just can't do. Your suggestion that I don't homeschool is exactly what is going wrong with this country - that you feel that you have the right to tell me what to do, that your idea for MY children is the right one, that homeschooling should be the last resort.

And people homeschool for many different reasons - some for kids with disabilities which the public school doesn't have the resources or time/patience that a loving parent does - others for health/allergies - others because the child is slow/behind (you can go at their pace) or so far ahead, they'd be bored in a (usually elementary) public school setting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's way too much to respond to in there but I found that last sentence the funniest. Home school a child because they are bored. A+

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's way too much to respond to in there but I found that last sentence the funniest. Home school a child because they are bored. A+
    Please consider how an advanced child would be bored in kindergarten when she already knows how to read, how she could be at home reading whatever interests her, going on further in her studies and not held back by the majority of the class. Think of the possibilities and freedom the library and internet offers to such a child not bound by traditional limits of what she should be learning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please consider how an advanced child would be bored in kindergarten when she already knows how to read, how she could be at home reading whatever interests her, going on further in her studies and not held back by the majority of the class. Think of the possibilities and freedom the library and internet offers to such a child not bound by traditional limits of what she should be learning.
    They can be unbound when they're not at school. Nothing you have mentioned, other than health concerns, strikes me as a good reason to home school a child, let alone 3. Gifted children have options even in public schools in a state like Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I use a term palatable to you - because you really don't want to hear that I believe in an Almighty Creator that put this world so perfectly together. You'd probably prefer to hear that there was a Big Bang and this planet just drifted together and randomly came to be - that these atoms came together by chance and apes (or whatever the theory is) evolved into a fantastic body like Lebron's. You are assuming that Christians and science are incompatible. To tell the truth, I didn't even teach my kids any science - just let them read a myriad of books. BTW, Let's Read and Find Out Science series is excellent (for those of you with young kids). They all started formal science at Physical Science, then Bio, Chem, Physics, AP sciences and they all did fine starting late (mostly because their foundation in math and reading is strong and I'm not a science - more of a history - person) and they haven't suffered for the late start. My oldest is very smart, my second is above average and my youngest is average and not one of them is going to one day get up and decide that the God that they believe made this world, who guides them each day and who they have a personal relationship with is fabrication - it's called faith.
    I don't really "prefer" evolution. It simply is what the evidence shows happens.

The only thing I really "prefer" is the truth. Follow the evidence where it leads, not the other way around. I do agree that science and Christianity, or Islam for that matter, are not mutually incompatible. One can have some rather loose interpretations of the bible/koran that fit in with science, and many do.

As for faith, faith is just the excuse people use when they don't have good reasons to believe in something. Holy books are so obviously the fabrication of human minds, bible included, and just aren't good reasons.

You can't have creationism and thinking kids. Evolution, common descent, and an old universe are supported overwhelmingly by evidence, and teaching kids to ignore that evidence is not teaching them anything useful, but rather hobbling them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is one way to look at it.

The other way, is that teaching is a skill, and certified teachers have both education and training that home school parents just don't. Schools are concentrations of experts with college degrees and training. I prefer letting teaching be left to those experts. But then again, I am married to one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might think that salvation being free and available to all is foolish and worth lambasting, but who then should decide whether someone is good enough to get into a heaven? That's what the Reformation was partly about - that one didn't have to "work" one's way there - that you just believe and you're in.
    Ish. There is the contradiction.

"all-loving" is logically incompatible with the concept of , or withholding heaven. That is a bit like claiming god is a four-sided triangle, or a bed made of sleep.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can be unbound when they're not at school. Nothing you have mentioned, other than health concerns, strikes me as a good reason to home school a child, let alone 3. Gifted children have options even in public schools in a state like Texas.
    So, why would you "bind" them for all school hours - sitting there learning nothing as the teacher goes about teaching the others how to read - is that not a waste of time - to satisfy your idea that a child should be in public school. Well, thankfully, we have the freedom to choose to homeschool our kids and it's not your decision. Gifted options include delving deeper into a subject that's being taught, additional work to the normal - besides, teachers are usually the ones who recommend (after observing children for some length of time) whether to be tested for gifted. It's unlikely that a recommendation and the required testing would be made and completed in kindergarten - probably by 2nd or 3rd grade. Gifted just means that a child has a high IQ - it doesn't mean that he/she knows how to read - that's a skill. A non-gifted child could have already learned how to read too. Regardless, it's surely up to the parent make the decision regarding their child.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RG, much good those schools with "concentrations of experts with college degrees and training" are doing to our kids - unless you are satisfied with the general education of US kids? These experts are not doing such a good job communicating their knowledge to the kids especially (imo) in math. Particularly, in the lower grades, I think that a motivated parent who does have knowledge of her child's learning style/tendencies, will have equal or better results than the average child in an average school with an average teacher. There is a myriad of curriculum available as the home schooling movement has exploded.

Are you the poster whose wife is a community college Chemistry teacher? If so, I'll point back to your statement of the sad state of the results of a test you helped grade.

I doubt that Isaac Newton had loose interpretations of the Bible. By the example I gave above, he spent considerable time really studying it.

God is to use your term "all-loving" but we each have free will to choose.

Can we please stop with the religion discussion? I open myself up to all kinds of mockery and baiting on this topic (much worse [because my faith is so important to me] than the bashing of my political views) and each statement leads down another avenue - from evolution to salvation to free will to I'm sure someone will come up with something else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, why would you "bind" them for all school hours - sitting there learning nothing as the teacher goes about teaching the others how to read - is that not a waste of time - to satisfy your idea that a child should be in public school. Well, thankfully, we have the freedom to choose to homeschool our kids and it's not your decision. Gifted options include delving deeper into a subject that's being taught, additional work to the normal - besides, teachers are usually the ones who recommend (after observing children for some length of time) whether to be tested for gifted. It's unlikely that a recommendation and the required testing would be made and completed in kindergarten - probably by 2nd or 3rd grade. Gifted just means that a child has a high IQ - it doesn't mean that he/she knows how to read - that's a skill. A non-gifted child could have already learned how to read too. Regardless, it's surely up to the parent make the decision regarding their child.
    Hang on a sec. Are we talking about homeschooling for kindergarten or in elementary school and above? Two very different considerations. It's funny that you think having children go to school is "binding" at all. Young children play and interact with people of their own age. It's a very important social learning period. Once children hit elementary school, they can be guided into the pathway that best suits them, such as gifted and talented programs.

"Well, thankfully, we have the freedom to choose to homeschool our kids and it's not your decision." I'm not so sure your kids will thank you when they go to college. And this statement eerily reeks of the same kind of thinking as anti-vaccine nutjobs.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These Leave idiots are quitting the repair (Assange), or playing power games in a mess they have no clue how to fix. They are just going to leave it up to the STAY folks to clean up the mess.

The LEAVE folks have more important infighting to deal with:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36693200

What a total rubbish pile...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hang on a sec. Are we talking about homeschooling for kindergarten or in elementary school and above? Two very different considerations. It's funny that you think having children go to school is "binding" at all. Young children play and interact with people of their own age. It's a very important social learning period. Once children hit elementary school, they can be guided into the pathway that best suits them, such as gifted and talented programs.

"Well, thankfully, we have the freedom to choose to homeschool our kids and it's not your decision." I'm not so sure your kids will thank you when they go to college. And this statement eerily reeks of the same kind of thinking as anti-vaccine nutjobs.
    You are one who first used the term "unbound." The beginning of traditional education is learning to read which is started in kindergarten (I think that even in public school pre-k (here in Miami), they delay learning to read so that everyone is on basically the same level in kindergarten) and the biggest difference in the lower grades is between those who don't know how to read and those who do - and yes, I still think that homeschooling, particularly in the lower grades would do just as good if not better job than an average public school.

My children did not lack for social learning and learned to interact with people of all ages (not just kids). Efficient home schooling freed up time for 1 1/4 hour daily after-school Spanish program at the local elementary school, soccer, scouting, church activities, home school group meeting (150 families) all day (with art, drama, ceramics, etc classes) on Fridays, and in the upper grades left time for volunteering at the library and being chess mentors - imo, that beats being in school all day and coming home to do homework. And my kids thank me for the FREEDOM they had in home schooling - my daughter wishes she could home school any future children, but I fear in this economy, a one-income family is getting rarer and rarer. Thankfully we have the freedom to home school our kids and it isn't YET your decision - mind you, I do see a day if we keep going in the direction we are, that there might be a time when the government becomes so powerful that we might not have that choice.

When one witnesses a child go into anaphylactic shock in the pediatrician's office after getting a vaccine and the pediatrician tells you don't come back for any more vaccines - go to the hospital with an allergist, one's mind on vaccines changes MIGHTY fast. For healthy children, they're fine. The worst thing is the doctors will only give medical exemption on the one vaccine that caused the reaction - not for other ones - I should subject my child to "trying" the next one - well, no way - never again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are one who first used the term "unbound."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I apologize - I was the one who mentioned the word "bound" first. I still stand by what I've said above. I don't see why I should be limited by what you think is best for MY children. Look the proof is in the pudding and I am ECSTATIC about the way things have turned out for my children - other than the allergies/asthma for the youngest (and his posture) and the chronic cough the middle seems to get after a cold.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Growing Unease as British Mutual Funds Block the Exit Doors

As one British mutual fund after another bars its doors to fleeing investors, traders and regulators alike are asking the same question: What does it mean for nervous global markets?

This week, six asset management firms in Britain decided to refuse, for the moment, cash demands from those seeking to escape funds that invest in commercial real estate in the country. The rush for the exits followed the unexpected decision by British voters to leave the European Union.

So far, the numbers are small enough. Of the 35 billion pounds, or $45 billion, invested in these funds, just under £20 billion has been affected.

Yet to see, in real time, fund companies turning away investors because they cannot quickly unload assets that are hard to sell brings to life a nightmare situation that has long kept central bankers and large investment managers awake at night.

“The market has gotten crowded,” said Ken Monaghan, an investor in high-yield bonds for Amundi Smith Breeden, a global investment company that manages $1 trillion.

“At some point you have to wonder what happens if all these investors decide to go home.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/business/dealbook/growing-unease-as-british-mutual-funds-block-the-exit-doors.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Predictably, the right wing nutjobs whose populist campaign that consisted mostly of 'dey took er jerbs', namely Nigel Farage (UKIP Leader), Boris Johnson and Michael Gove had zero plan as to what would happen upon EU exit. Farage has resigned as leader of his party, Johnson said ' that' to running for PM when the position opened up because of him and Gove fell flat on his face and missed getting on the ballot to run for PM.

And somehow people voted in favour of the campaign ran by these spineless ers, who ran away when the first load of actual responsibility came their way, fantastic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How technology disrupted the truth

Social media has swallowed the news – threatening the funding of public-interest reporting and ushering in an era when everyone has their own facts. But the consequences go far beyond journalism

A few days after the vote, Arron Banks, Ukip’s largest donor and the main funder of the Leave.EU campaign, told the Guardian that

his side knew all along that facts would not win the day.

“It was taking an American-style media approach,” said Banks.

“What they said early on was ‘Facts don’t work’, and that’s it.

The Remain campaign featured fact, fact, fact, fact, fact.

It just doesn’t work. You have got to connect with people emotionally. It’s the Trump success.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...P=share_btn_tw

Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-03-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boris Johnson ‘lied a lot,’ says French foreign minister

Britain’s new top diplomat, Boris Johnson, came under sharp fire from his European counterparts on Thursday, with France’s foreign minister declaring that the “leave” campaigner had “lied a lot” during the push for Britain to break with the European Union.

Johnson is now charged, as Britain’s foreign secretary, with negotiating a divorce with E.U. colleagues who largely hold him in contempt. The cheerfully undiplomatic former mayor of London has a long history of colorfully insulting other nations and leaders, but the sharpest anger is connected to his campaign for Britain to leave the E.U.

“I have no worries about Boris Johnson, but you know well what his style is,” French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault told France’s Europe 1 radio. “He lied a lot during the campaign.”

The reference covers a range of later-discredited claims by the anti-E.U. side before last month’s campaign, including the level of Britain’s payments to the European Union.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...t-draw7&wpmm=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hilarious. Frogs giving the limeys a very big, and deserved, bras d'honneur.

Thread Information