Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK demands one billion pounds as reimbursement for the Galileo satellite; EU tells UK to pound sand.

The EU has accused the British government of “chasing a fantasy” and warned that it will not negotiate under threat, after a fraught week of Brexittalks in Brussels that have raised serious concerns about the future of the negotiations.
    The whole approach of the UK government to the discussions was castigated by a senior EU official involved, who further warned that the bloc would not be forced into positions that were against its interests.
    The UK’s suggestion that it would seek to recover more than €1bn of contributions to the Galileo satellite project unless the European commission lifted a block on British firms being involved received a particularly strident response, with an implicit threat that such posturing could unravel the discussions.
    “The EU doesn’t negotiate under threat,” the senior EU official said. “Such a request for reimbursement would be backsliding and unacceptable.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...official-warns

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “To paraphrase The Leopard by Tommaso di Lampedusa, I have the impression that the UK thinks everything has to change on the EU’s side so that everything can stay the same for the UK.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In Dublin, Ireland’s taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, confirmed that he had not seen any firm proposals on the Irish border backstop since his meeting with May 10 days ago in Sofia.

“We are still waiting for them,” he said. “We’re not that far away from the deadline for the withdrawal agreement, we’re very much in the space where we need legal text,” he said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    May is AWOL on VAT:

The Financial Times published an excellent in-depth report, VAT: Brexit’s hidden border dilemma. The short version is the Government hasn’t thought about VAT despite it being a large administrative issue with real costs. Goods bought from other EU members now come in without being charged VAT at the border. That will, or rather should, change once the UK leaves the EU.

But since it has no plans to set up the needed infrastructure to assess VAT on these goods, it faces two choices: not charging VAT, which will lead to considerable loss of revenue and will seriously damage British firms, or accept and comply with the EU VAT regime, which means ceding control over VAT charges and accepting the jurisdiction of the hated ECJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Britain decided that such friction was too costly for business and chose not to police its VAT border, untaxed imports would flood in from the EU, destroying legitimate business for shops in Britain, says Richard Allen, head of Retailers against VAT abuse schemes. Highlighting this is not just an idle “project fear” threat, he says: there is a precedent from the period before 2012 when VAT-free importing of CDs and DVDs from the Channel Islands wiped out most high street music retailing in Britain. “If you say, ‘to with VAT checks at the border’ then everything will be imported,” he says.

The prospect of a hard VAT border is already having a chilling effect on UK business, according to Alison Horner, VAT Partner at MHA MacIntyre Hudson. She says her British clients who supply into EU just-in-time industries are being asked to deliver with VAT sorted out in advance. “This creates a liability to register for VAT in multiple jurisdictions, which is a big cost to business,” she says.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Farage lied his way, coupled with racism/nativism, into really ing up the UK

Pootin and his mafiya are laughing their asses off, as the EU is weakened (then there's very sick "southern border" Italy, Spain, Greece, but Capital has played a destructive role there)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Farage and Cameron both vanished swiftly after the referendum. Unready to face the consequences perhaps.

Your hypothesis that Russia moved the needle on Brexit is totally unsupported here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your hypothesis that Russia moved the needle on Brexit is totally unsupported here.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ump-and-russia

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...i-admire-putin

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...e-9224781.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/47...in-backs-Right

Farage pulling UK out of EU is Pootin's strategy, just as Trash pulling US out of intl agreements, degrading USA's softpower is also Pootin's strategy.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ng-game-214589

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've got only one hook to hang it on: Nigel Farage, and none of the links you gave have any evidence that Russian influence was decisive. Farage is no longer in government and even when he was his parliamentary clout was minimal: it was David Cameron who put Brexit on the ballot.

All I see there is a Farage/Putin mutual admiration society. Pretty weak, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Farage was the inflammatory face of the BREXIT campaign

lying about how many $100Ms UK was paying EU

turn out was VERY LOW, hardly anybody knew WTF was going on, what BREXIT meant, etc, etc.

With a low turnout and paper-thin margin (much like Trash 80K votes in 135M), Farage very well could have been the difference.

In any case, Farage leading UK out of Europe is exactly aligned with Pootin's strategy. It's more than coincidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks like a coincidence to me. you're basically pinning the result on one lie Farage told.

weak sauce.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the "No Deal" stakes are high:

Nevertheless, it seems, it was only last month that officials in Davis's Brexit department and the departments of health and transport drew up these scenarios for a no-deal Brexit. Supposedly, there were three levels, mild, severe one and one dubbed "Armageddon".

Conveniently, the newspaper now has a source that tells it: "In the second scenario, not even the worst, the port of Dover will collapse on day one. The supermarkets in Cornwall and Scotland will run out of food within a couple of days, and hospitals will run out of medicines within two weeks".
    http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86891

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the end of week two we would be running out of petrol as well. Officials say that the government would have to charter aircraft, or use the RAF to ferry supplies to the furthest corners of the UK. "You would have to medevac medicine into Britain", the ST's source says.

And all this, we are led to understand, comes from papers prepared for the so-called Inter-Ministerial Group on Preparedness, which meets weekly when parliament is sitting. One official is cited as saying that the scenarios are so explosive they have only been shared with a handful of ministers and are "locked in a safe" - apart from being published routinely in EUReferendum.com.

Then, according to "a senior official": "We are entirely dependent on Europe reciprocating our posture that we will do nothing to impede the flow of goods into the UK. If, for whatever reason, Europe decides to slow that supply down, then we're screwed".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, this does not seem to represent any reality that is likely to transpire. It cannot be the case, for instance, that continental authorities will seek to block exports to the UK. Nor will the UK purposefully block the import of foods from the continent.

For sure, the UK will be required under WTO rules to impose checks on those goods to match those applied to other "third countries". But, for a period at least, the UK would most likely waive those requirements in order to keep food supplies flowing.

The real problem is actually very different. It comes when UK traders try to export goods to destinations in EU Member States, only to find that border controls slow the flows to a trickle in each port. It is this that will clog up the ports, preventing the ferries from unloading, disrupting return loading and thus stopping goods being sent to the UK.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looks like a coincidence to me. you're basically pinning the result on one lie Farage told.

weak sauce.
    and Farage's admiration for Pootin, of all people.

Farage seems to be an evil, slimey bas so getting compensated by Russians to push for BREXIT, to weaken Russia's rival the EU is plausible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hah, now just merely plausible. one side effect of backpedalling is kicking up dust.

I doubt anyone is fooled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hah, now just merely plausible. one side effect of backpedalling is kicking up dust.

I doubt anyone is fooled.
    Sounds oddly familiar. Russia is in some deep come the next US administration that hasn't been bought off wholesale. Europe is PISSED, although the Germans aren't so pissed they won't push for another gas pipeline...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ….the Dutch government has told its exporters that “if a large part of your product consists of parts from the UK” domestic exporters may lose free trade access under existing deals…
    https://news.sky.com/story/european-...rexit-11395908

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, the very solution that the industry seeks cannot be achieved which means that, if there is a "no deal" Brexit, catastrophic disruption to the aviation industry is inevitable. In legal terms, there is simply no way round this.

What this effectively means is that – as I stated yesterday – "no deal" is not a serious option. The effect on the aviation sector alone is enough to rule it out. Factor in all the other problems, in other sectors, and no responsible government could allow it – and nor could MPs, individually or collectively, permit it...

If our MPs get it wrong, the jobs of hundreds of thousands will be lost, many thousands of businesses will be destroyed and the economy will be irrevocably damaged. There is no room here for doctrine, or riding political hobby-horses. The fate of the nation is at stake.
    http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86903

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pootin laughing his ass off at the chaos he has wreaked in Europe and USA

Boris Johnson and ‘Brexit minister’ resign, leaving Theresa May’s government in disarray

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...nl_most&wpmm=1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Food security is an issue and rationing is not a sell word:

Britain would run out of food on this date next year if it cannot continue to easily import from the EU and elsewhere after Brexit, the National Farmers’ Union has warned.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-farmers-union

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Food security is an issue and rationing is not a sell word:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-farmers-union
    I think EU is in a " you, limey hooligans" mood

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brexit: How Trump Strengthens the Case of the Remainers

The Leavers’ hopes for a bilateral trade deal with the United States always seemed very iffy.

After Trump’s UK visit, they are now wholly unrealistic.

The hopes of the Brexiteers – hard or soft – for a positive outcome of their Brexit venture have always run on fumes. And a key part of those “fumes” that have given the Brexiteers hope for their vision of a “global Britain” was a future free trade deal with the United States.

Three facts stand in the way of such a deal becoming a reality.

First, a bilateral deal would be monstrously difficult to negotiate.

Second, does Britain seriously want to become a guinea pig for Trump’s preference for bilateral deals?

Third, to the extent that such talks seemed to be in the realm of the possible, the interview released by The Sun newspaper moments after the dinner in honor of Donald Trump at Blenheim Palace had been concluded

pretty much puts paid to any realistic prospect of a bilateral FTA.

https://www.theglobalist.com/donald-...n-union-trade/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brexit vote campaign gets £1m from Superdry co-founder

One of the co-founders of the fashion label Superdry has donated £1m to the

campaign for another EU referendum.

Multi-millionaire Julian Dunkerton said he was backing the People's Vote campaign because "we have a genuine chance to turn this around".

The People's Vote, a cross-party group including some MPs, want a public vote on the final Brexit deal.

The government has ruled out another referendum after Britain voted to leave the EU in June 2016.

The UK is on course to leave the EU on 29 March next year.

Mr Dunkerton said he believes the brand he co-launched "would never have become the global success that it did" if Brexit had happened 20 years earlier.

His donation, the largest received by the People's Vote, will go towards funding opinion polls.

He added: "I will be paying for one of the most detailed polling exercises ever undertaken by a campaign so that more and more people have the confidence to demand the democratic right for their voice to be heard."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45235655

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have British Spies Been Hacking the EU?

The European Union has accused British intelligence agencies of disrupting Brexit negotiations—creating a new public dispute that could poison further an already toxic situation

the gist is that that

the European Union has accused the British intelligence agencies of hacking the EU’s side of the Brexit negotiations.

Apparently, some highly sensitive and negative EU slides about British Prime Minister Theresa May’s plan for Brexit, the Chequers Plan, had landed in the lap of the British government,

which then lobbied the EU to suppress publication.

Of course, this could be a genuine leak from the Brussels sieve, as British sources are claiming (well, they would say that, wouldn’t they?).

However, it is plausible that this is the work of the spies, either by recruiting a paid-up agent well placed within the Brussels bureaucracy, or through electronic surveillance.

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/08/1...acking-the-eu/

And Pootin laughs his ass off as his strategy of degrading, disrupting, embittering the EU continues to succeed.

Thread Information