Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if it's rosy or not, I'm just pointing out that the whole "EU is ed" meme has been predicted ad-nauseum for a long ass time and they're still there.

It's like the guys that predict every 5 years that the world will end "within the next 5 years"... amusing...
    I'm just saying that when you see Brits jumping off of a ship screaming "It's going to sink" that maybe they know what they're talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care what you give a about. The EU isn't going anywhere. Neither France or Germany have indicated they want to move away from it. Until there's further news, the EU will keep on being the EU.
    I don't give a about your passion for the EU, go finger your culo to it for all i care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just saying that when you see Brits jumping off of a ship screaming "It's going to sink" that maybe they know what they're talking about.
    It's more like a tantrum. The Brits weren't even a full fledged member anyways, keeping their currency, making demands to the EU. And let's not pretend this was a landslide either, about half the Brits thought the ship was not just fine but was a lifeboat.

This might actually not be all that bad for the EU in the long term. If the Brits eventually change their minds, they might need to go all in next time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't give a about your passion for the EU, go finger your culo to it for all i care.
    I have zero interest in what happens to the EU. My comment was geared towards the perennial doomsayers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the uneducated Brits who'd been deeply affected by the shift in manufacturing away from the UK that were jumping off screaming. Educated Brits largely thought the ship was doing just fine.
    Last edited by Th'Pusher; 06-24-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    This is a great day for liberty. You can have international trade without a world government which is the point of the EU.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    world government which is the point of the EU.
    Holy , you rightwingnuts never end self-indicting yourselves as dumb s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's always politicians that want this or that. We have Trump, for example. That's not the same as an actual country's voice.
    Trump will rule your world for the next 8 years

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “The results of the ‪#‎Brexit‬ referendum should serve as a wake-up call for internationalist bureaucrats from Brussels to Washington, D.C. that some free nations still wish to preserve their national sovereignty,” Cruz wrote. […]

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), an occasional Cruz ally who has become the Senate’s biggest booster of Donald Trump, had an even more supportive reaction.

He did, indeed. The far-right Alabaman, arguably Trump’s closest congressional ally, issued a lengthy statement with an all-caps headline that read, “Now it’s America’s turn.”

. Sarah Palin (R) published a bizarre online harangue that began, “When in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another. The UK knew – it was that time. And now is that time in the USA. The Brexit referendum is akin to our own Declaration of Independence. May that refreshed spirit of sovereignty spread over the pond to America’s shores!”

Palin went on to complain about “globalists who tend to aim for that apocalyptic One World Government that dissolves a nation’s self-determination and sovereignty… the EU being a One World Government mini-me.” She added – again, in all seriousness – concerns about “UN shackles.”

It’s all quite persuasive, isn’t it? In fact, I’m now convinced: the United States should definitely leave the European Union.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "According to YouGov polling before the referendum result, 64% of under-25s said they wanted the UK to remain. With a life expectancy for that generation of 90, younger voters have approximately eight more decades to live compared with the voters who most favoured leaving, the over 65s."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/young-remain-voters-came-out-in-force-but-were-outgunned

old vs young

educated vs not

poor vs not

Exactly like USA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "According to YouGov polling before the referendum result, 64% of under-25s said they wanted the UK to remain. With a life expectancy for that generation of 90, younger voters have approximately eight more decades to live compared with the voters who most favoured leaving, the over 65s."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/young-remain-voters-came-out-in-force-but-were-outgunned

old vs young

educated vs not

poor vs not

Exactly like USA.
    I thought it was the 1% keeping you down, loser.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

The run-up to the vote was marked by a bitterly divided campaign, one that was as much about immigration fears as it was about the global economy.

But despite the all-out attempts by either side to court voters, Britons were not only mystified by what would happen if they left the E.U.— many seemed not to even know what the European Union is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...g-to-leave-it/

Just like the VRWC/Repugs, the UK "Leavers" exploited the profound ignorance of the electorate.

"immigration" ? Thanks, Repugs and BigOil

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    boutons do the democrats do no wrong?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bookaki has a selective memory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump will rule your world for the next 8 years
    I've had worse, tbh... I'll survive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the uneducated Brits who'd been deeply affected by the shift in manufacturing away from the UK that were jumping off screaming. Educated Brits largely thought the ship was doing just fine.
    In democracies everyone gets to vote, not just enlightened technocrats who know better, and just got thumped by their (putative) intellectual lessers.

Lesson: the ruling class ignores the great unwashed at its own peril.

Perhaps posh City of London types would've done better to understand -- or even address -- the anxieties and hardships of their under-credentialled countrymen, who, despite their appalling ignorance and gruesomely parochial tastes are, after all, fellow citizens with votes that count just as much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As Britain awoke on Friday to the news that it had voted in favor of withdrawing from the European Union, voters were introduced to their new reality with a stunning admission from Nigel Farage, the pro-Brexit advocate who leads the U.K. Independence Party. Farage said that the Vote Leave campaign's signature pledge—that leaving the European Union would allow for £350 million to be spent on the U.K.'s National Health Service—was a "mistake."

Farage's mea culpa was made during an appearance on Good Morning Britain, where he was asked if he could continue supporting that promise after the campaign to extract the United Kingdom from the European Union had succeeded.

"No I can't, and I would have never made that claim," Farage said. "It was one of the mistakes I think the 'leave' campaign made"
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...im-was-mistake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The technocratic administration of policy in the EU is obtuse to the average Briton or Italian or Frenchman. They viewed democracy the way most people view mosquito bites, as a nuisance rather than a collective voice worth listening to. Euroskepticism grew amid this neglect. For all the talk of burdensome migration, Leave did best in rural communities with few, if any, immigrants.
    http://prospect.org/article/whos-blame-brexit-elites

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nationalism can be ugly. But so can rule from a secret chamber abroad, for the benefit of corporations. The post-World War II social order has failed too many, and people are desperate for an alternative. As much as the toxicity of right-wing populism is driving this disruption, ultimately the blame must be laid at the feet of those who bungled the European project so completely.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    In democracies everyone gets to vote, not just enlightened technocrats who know better, and just got thumped by their (putative) intellectual lessers.

Perhaps posh City of London types would've done better to understand -- or even address -- the anxieties and hardships of their under-credentialled countrymen, who, despite their appalling ignorance and gruesomely parochial tastes are, after all, fellow citizens with votes that count just as much.
    Word.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bookaki has a selective memory.

Not really booboo hates shillary. She's just not as bad as trump

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is their own party's fault. Labour. The ones who supposedly look out for the unwashed.

And they are going to feel it the most. The posh Londoners switch to less expensive caviar. True democracy works best with educated citizens. Everyone will take a hit in the pocketbook. The great unwashed will feel it the most. Ignorance and xenophobia work best for Despots, Monarchs and Tyrants. And these great unwashed in the UK are not truly poor. This was not some obscure African Nation. But by golly if one wants to drag the entire UK down the real path to despotic rule, this was a decent start.

They will be fine IMO, but the hurt they will feel in the interim was entirely unnecessary.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Pro-Remain supporters are so noisy on Twitter while their Leave counterparts, who won the vote, aren't as heard on social media. Just tells you the demographic of the voters.

I do think everyone will adjust, get along, and this will auto-correct in due time... Everyone's just in freaking out because Britain actually did what everyone thought as unthinkable.

The British branded the anic as the Unsinkable and look where it ended up.

Thread Information