Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Pro-Remain supporters are so noisy on Twitter while their Leave counterparts, who won the vote, aren't as heard on social media. Just tells you the demographic of the voters.
    It really shows that Twitter is an echo chamber for young far-leftists - a safe space that allows them to lose sight of the fact that their views are the minority opinion in the real world.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It really shows that Twitter is an echo chamber for young far-leftists - a safe space that allows them to lose sight of the fact that their views are the minority opinion in the real world.
    Not exactly minority, because they lost by 3%, but yeah it's true that Social Media is an echo chamber for the far-leftists. It's okay at first, but then it becomes annoying and nauseating once they become self-righteous, en led and condescending to anyone who disagrees with their opinion. I've muted a lot of far-left friends because of this behaviour. They tend to 'debate' people who disgaree with their stand, and then they start resorting to insults and condescending language once the opposing resistance grows stronger and sturdier.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Page, at Ipsos MORI agreed. The Leave vote was likely fueled by

"older, working class people with no education, who are fed up of life, fed up of the way Britain is going and they used the referendum to punish politicians."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/brexit-referendum/britain-s-brexit-how-baby-boomers-defeated-millennials-historic-vote-n598481?cid=sm_fb_lastword

Which parallels older, white people "revolting" against the Repug establishment by nominating Trash.

Older, white, low-pay, low-education, low-info, connable people in both countries:

"we're ed in the present, our whole lives actually, and are willing to over the future for the younger people".

The con job: Brexit and Trash won't fix in either country. The BigFinance/BigCorp/establishment/oligarchy/1% will continue to rule both countries.

The really hit the fan with "evil twins" St Ronnie the Diseased and Margaret Thatcher in the 80s.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Secessionists Say #Texit! and We’ll Try Not to Cheer Too Much

"If Trump fails #Texit seems to be our best remedy." So the best remedy for sanity is insanity. Okay, GOP, we get that.

Never mind that the United States Cons ution forbids it: Inspired by Brexit, the Texas Nationalist Movement wants to #Texit.

Just as Donald Trump failed to realize Scotland did not vote to leave the EU, Daniel Miller, president of the TNM, doesn’t seem to realize that not only do most Texansnot want to leave the Union, but they couldn’t if they wanted to.
    Miller irrelevantly lamented to news.com.au,

“The vast majority of the laws, rules and regulations that affect the people of Texas are created by the political class or unelected bureaucrats in Washington.”

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/06/...iticus+USA+%29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    British Exit From EU Not Inevitable, Despite Referendum

one declaration was notably absent: the formal notification to the EU that the United Kingdom intends to leave the organization, which is required to start the clock on negotiations for a departure.

an exit would not happen soon, as he intended to resign in three months and leave it to his successor to decide “when to trigger Article 50″ of the union’s basic agreement, the Lisbon Treaty, which says that a member state has two years after declaring its desire to leave to negotiate the terms of its exit.

“In voting to leave the EU, it is vital to stress that there is no need for haste,” Johnson said, “and indeed, as the prime minister has just said, nothing will change over the short term, except that work will have to begin on how to give effect to the will of the people and to extricate this country from the supranational system.”

Given that the popular mandate his side had just won was summed up in a single word on the backdrop behind him, “Leave,” it seemed odd that Johnson made no mention of the fastest way to get that process started, by pressing for an immediate Article 50 declaration.

The reason could be that Johnson has something very different in mind: a negotiated compromise that would preserve most of the benefits of EU membership for British citizens and businesses but still satisfy the popular will to escape the attendant responsibilities and costs.

In this context, it is important to keep two things in mind.

First, it was Johnson himself who suggested, when he joined the Leave campaign in February, that a vote to depart could be used as a stick to negotiate not a full departure from the EU, but a better deal for the UK. “There is only one way to get the change we need, and that is to vote to go, because all EU history shows that they only really listen to a population when it says ‘No,'” Johnson wrote then. “It is time to seek a new relationship, in which we manage to extricate ourselves from most of the supranational elements.”

Second, as the legal blogger David Allen Green has explained clearly,

the measure Britons just voted for “was an advisory not a mandatory referendum,” meaning that it is not legally binding on the government.

No matter who the prime minister is, he or she is not required by the outcome to trigger Article 50.

And, despite what senior figures in the EU and its other states might say, there is no way for them to force the UK to invoke Article 50.

https://twitter.com/DavidAllenGreen/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

there is some wiggle room for a new government to try to find a compromise arrangement that would satisfy a larger share of the population than just the slim majority of voters who demanded separation.

Johnson did not have to go far to get a sense of the seething outrage in parts of the country, like London, that voted overwhelmingly against leaving. Walking out of his home on Friday, Johnson was booed and jeered by some of his neighbors, who chanted, “s ” and “traitor.”

“about 160 of the 650 MPs elected last year want Britain to leave the EU. The overwhelming majority of Westminster MPs believes that leaving would be a mistake. Many believe it would be a very grave mistake. Not a few believe it would be calamitous.”

Given that a two-thirds majority of the current Parliament opposes leaving the EU, Parris suggested, a new general election next year was almost inevitable, further delaying even the start of the process.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/24/...te-referendum/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is their own party's fault. Labour. The ones who supposedly look out for the unwashed.

And they are going to feel it the most. The posh Londoners switch to less expensive caviar. True democracy works best with educated citizens. Everyone will take a hit in the pocketbook. The great unwashed will feel it the most. Ignorance and xenophobia work best for Despots, Monarchs and Tyrants. And these great unwashed in the UK are not truly poor. This was not some obscure African Nation. But by golly if one wants to drag the entire UK down the real path to despotic rule, this was a decent start.

They will be fine IMO, but the hurt they will feel in the interim was entirely unnecessary.
    path to despotic rule, or they will be fine -- please pick a lane.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brexit campaign, like US Repug xenophobic campaigns, based on a HUGE LIE

Nigel Farage: £350 million pledge to fund the NHS was 'a mistake'

Nigel Farage has admitted that it was a "mistake" to promise that £350million a week would be spent on the NHS if the UK backed a Brexit vote.

Speaking just an hour after the Leave vote was confirmed the Ukip leader said the money could not be guaranteed and claimed he would never have made the promise in the first place.

The pledge was central to the official Vote Leave campaign and was controversially emblazoned on the side of the bus which shuttled Boris Johnson and Michael Gove around the country.

Campaigners promised to use the money the UK reportedly sends to the EU to fund the health service instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...was-a-mistake/

NOW, AFTER WINNING, Farage said it was a big lie.

MISTAKE!

Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-25-2016 at 07:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is their own party's fault. Labour. The ones who supposedly look out for the unwashed.
    Much like the Dems, their policies have long since left the working class behind and sing to the tune of corporate power. Labour is the party of metropolitans and professionals.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Boo s lining up alongside the banks, financial sector and large multinationals he claims to hate, while Nigel Farage and future prime minister Boris Johnson are busy Making Britain Great Again.

Today's liberals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CN quick to give political charlatans credit for what the people did

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CN quick to give political charlatans credit for what the people did
    the old, white, poor, uneducated people only "advised", the referendum result isn't mandatory. The Financial oligarchs will prevail. UK ain't going nowhere.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    the old, white, poor, uneducated people only "advised", the referendum result isn't mandatory. The Financial oligarchs will prevail. UK ain't going nowhere.
    You and Goldman Sachs, shoulder-to-shoulder.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Also, at the "it's not mandatory!" excuse that the left is grasping for. Cameron is stepping down and the EU wants Britain out ASAP. There's a lot of paperwork and red tape involved in leaving that they have to get started on soon. Backing out now would be political suicide.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You and Goldman Sachs, shoulder-to-shoulder.
    CN, totally ed up take, as usual.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "EU wants Britain out ASAP"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    takes two years under Article 50 to exit the EU. Cameron won't invoke it, as promised. this leaves wiggle room.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    ^ Goldman Sachs approves this message. ^

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AEP:

The pro-Remain group TheCityUK already has a plan to limit the damage, insisting that the City can prosper outside the EU, provided the post-Brexit government launches a bonfire of red-tape, keeps the door open to foreign talent, and takes the lead in the G20, the IMF, the global Financial Stability Board and the Basel Committee.

They want unfettered access to the EU single market and passporting rights for the City, and this means either pushing for the Norway option of the European Economic Area (EEA), or a hybrid variant.

This safe-exit is a compromise, and an olive-branch to the EU since we would continue paying into the EU budget and accepting the EU Acquis. It would last until we have negotiated our bilateral trade deals with the rest of the world. It also means accepting the free flow of EU migrants for a while. This is incendiary, of course.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...rs-of-hard-la/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This referendum was never a fight between Britain and Europe, as so widely depicted. It was the first episode of a pan-Europe uprising against the Caesaropapism of the EU Project and its technocrat priesthood. It will not be the last.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-make-us-rich/

In all likelihood, the next British government will go out of its way to keep free trade and the flow of talented migrants unfettered - via a Norway-style agreement in the interim and new trade deals negotiated in parallel. They will do what it takes to keep London's access to the European markets. What they may not be as quick to replace are some of the EU's labor-friendly laws.

The rubes who voted to "take our country back" will figure out eventually that the Europeans in the UK will not be deported, immigration will remain around current levels, the UK will continue to pay structural funds into the EU, the steel industry will not rise from the ashes, the government won't spend more money on health and welfare services, etc. But hey, at least they got a chance to celebrate like England had won the World Cup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meet the new bosses, same as the old bosses

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-make-us-rich/

In all likelihood, the next British government will go out of its way to keep free trade and the flow of talented migrants unfettered - via a Norway-style agreement in the interim and new trade deals negotiated in parallel. They will do what it takes to keep London's access to the European markets. What they may not be as quick to replace are some of the EU's labor-friendly laws.

The rubes who voted to "take our country back" will figure out eventually that the Europeans in the UK will not be deported, immigration will remain around current levels, the UK will continue to pay structural funds into the EU, the steel industry will not rise from the ashes, the government won't spend more money on health and welfare services, etc. But hey, at least they got a chance to celebrate like England had won the World Cup.
    And here we see the left reaching the bargaining stage of the grief cycle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tories were and still are fractured over this. It isn't a clean left/right split.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And here we see the left reaching the bargaining stage of the grief cycle.
    I'm merely posting what the Telegraph (which backed Brexit) and Dan Hannan (one of the leading faces of Brexit) are saying. They are the ones who are now keen to explain what they meant when they said "leave".

You probably consider 90% of the planet as "left", as is common with most wing nuts. I almost want Trump to win and the same thing to happen in the US - although I'm sure you'll still line up to fellate Trump even if he doesn't build a wall or deport anyone.

Thread Information