Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tories were and still are fractured over this. It isn't a clean left/right split.
    True - and left/right in the UK is nothing like it is in the US. Tory policies are much closer to the Dems than the Republicans. The Tory government increased the minimum wage and legalized gay marriage - something almost no Republican lawmaker will support.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    for CN it's all about tribal loyalty. reality is much more complex than his simple minded allegiance to propaganda from one side.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's so blinded he thinks that his opinion represents unimpeachable rightist orthodoxy and that, therefore, anyone who disagrees with him must be an odious liberal.

it ain't so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larison:

The EU’s multiple failures over the last decade also contributed to driving an already Euroskeptic country out the door. The creation of the euro was a major blunder, and the destructive policies that EU leaders forced on other member states for the sake of the eurozone compounded the original error. The Lisbon treaty process confirmed that the EU would continue its centralizing tendencies without regard for what voters thought about that (and it also provided the mechanism that the U.K. will now use to leave the EU). Merkel’s response to the migration crisis was almost perfectly designed to generate anti-EU sentiment. British voters could see what the EU had done to other member states in these crises, and many reasonably concluded that at some point it could do similar things to them. Because the EU has no meaningful political accountability to correct these errors and was never going to have any, leaving seemed to be the best option.
    http://www.theamericanconservative.c...vote-to-leave/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forget about Federal Reserve tightening this summer. In the aftermath of the U.K. referendum, the market is implying higher odds of a rate cut than a hike.

The pricing on federal funds futures contracts currently imply a 10 percent probability that the Fed will reduce interest rates in July, with a zero percent chance of a hike. Zip. In fact, implied probabilities signal that all the way through February 2017, looser policy is more likely than a continuation of the central bank's tightening phase.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...for-a-rate-cut

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at the crybaby toothless Brit liberals crying and requesting another referendum

Stop crying and move on es. The real Brits rook their country back. If there is another referendum and stay wins somehow there will be blood on the streets

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Caesaropapism of the EU Project and its technocrat priesthood."

aka, an (unaccountable) oligarchy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People who think multiculturalism “is a force for ill” voted to leave by an 81-19 margin.

People who think social liberalism “is a force for ill” voted to leave by an 80-20 margin.

People who think feminism “is a force for ill” voted to leave by a 74-26 margin.

People who think the green movement – environmentalism — “is a force for ill” voted to leave by a 78-22 margin. No word on climate change deniers specifically, but one can certainly speculate.

In other words, leave was given a big boost by the British equivalent of Breitbart readers.

The older you are, the more likely you were to vote leave.

White voters supported Brexiting by a 53-47 margin, while

two-thirds of Asians and three-quarters of blacks voted to Bremain.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/sorr...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's so blinded he thinks that his opinion represents unimpeachable rightist orthodoxy and that, therefore, anyone who disagrees with him must be an odious liberal.

it ain't so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've almost wanted to claw my TV down when I see people who said today, "I voted leave, but I didn't actually think it would happen and now I've changed my mind" or "I voted leave, but I wish I was more informed about the effects on both sides of the argument." Populism at it's finest.

Also intriguing that so many working class people voted for leave thinking they were leading some sort of revolution against the establishment, yet in fact they've just torn themselves away from the relatively liberal EU and led themselves down the path of the elitist ultra right wing neoconservatives i.e. Nigel Farage, Michael Gove and Boris Johnson, who now have complete control over the ruling government now that the neoliberal 'not as right wing as they are' PM Cameron is out.

Boris Johnson is the most likely PM replacement, a man who completely failed London as it's mayor, drove up housing prices and widened class and social divide in the city, before standing down and his supposed fellow conservative successor being absolutely annihilated in the mayoral election this year by the Labour candidate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading the posts here makes me wonder how far left is too far for a liberal, and how far right is too far for a conservative. Neither side seems to know when to brake.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    path to despotic rule, or they will be fine -- please pick a lane.
    They are not a poor African nation. They will survive.

But they unnecessarily made things very hard. It's BS saying listen closely to the ignorance in a country that has an educational system. Ie this ain't Afica... Easy. They chose to punish themselves. But it's ok, it makes sense, no one listened to the unclean. Was this a hunger strike? This was the point. You listen to us or we will hurt ourselves?
    BS.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one in the EU never ever claimed it was perfect, far from it. But the alternative... This did not stand for 60 years because it was a dysfunctional agreement. Far, far from it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's not clear what you're responding to. some part of the article?

free association therefrom?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Euro is only 21 years old. the Lisbon Treaty 12 years.

pretending the EEC is somehow equivalent to a fully-fledged EU, with the Schengen Zone, an ever closer political union and a supranational bureaucracy in Brussels, and that it has all been around for 60 years -- is a bit of a stretch.

-
    Last edited by Winehole23; 06-25-2016 at 11:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

#Brexit not about racism? (at:12:38)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Germany wants to offer Britain associated partnership status with other European Union countries after its vote to leave the bloc, business daily Handelsblatt reported on Friday, citing a finance ministry strategy paper.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/germany-w...-business.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nicola Sturgeon says MSPs at Holyrood could veto Brexit

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC that Holyrood could try to block the UK's exit from the EU.

She was speaking following a referendum on Thursday which saw Britain vote by 52% to 48% to leave Europe.

However, in Scotland the picture was different with 62% backing Remain and 38% wanting to go.

SNP leader Ms Sturgeon said that "of course" she would ask MSPs to refuse to give their "legislative consent".

In an interview with the BBC's Sunday Politics Scotland programme she was asked what the Scottish Parliament would do now.

Ms Sturgeon, whose party has 63 of the 129 Holyrood seats, said: "The issue you are talking about is would there have to be a legislative consent motion or motions for the legislation that extricates the UK from the European Union?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...itics-36633244

Since 2/3 of English parliament is against this "advisory" referendum, it sure looks like UK won't exit.

A bull false alarm.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    e In Racism Reported After Brexit Vote, ‘We Voted Leave, It’s Time For You To Leave’

The first Muslim woman to serve in the British cabinet says that her country’s vote to leave the European Union triggered a e in racist abuse.

Baroness Sayeeda Warsi

“I’ve spent most of the weekend talking to organisations, individuals and activists who work in the area of race hate crime, who monitor hate crime,” says Baroness Sayeeda Warsi, a former co-chair of the Conservative Party who served as Senior Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs from 2012 until 2014.

“They have shown some really disturbing early results from people being stopped in the street and saying look, we voted Leave, it’s time for you to leave.”

Baroness Warsi added that “they are saying this to individuals and families who have been here for three, four, five generations.”

It’s not particularly surprising that the Brexit vote appears to have emboldened racists, as Britain’s far right openly appealed to racism and xenophobia during the lead up to this referendum:

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2016/...ve-time-leave/

You rightwingnut racists, xenophobes, bigots, Repug and Trash supporters have lots of "cousins" in the UK

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting looking at the futures market for Monday...pound is up almost 10%, Euro up almost 3%.

Banks are getting slaughtered. Citi and Morgan Stanley down 9%.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the capitalists. There are 40M+ people on public assistance, a couple M homeless children.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LONDON — On Thursday, 56 percent of all voters in the southwestern county of Cornwall voted in favor of leaving the European Union. It was a decision supported by a majority of the county's members of Parliament.

But only one day later, Cornwall residents were asking, "What have we done?"

The county is heavily dependent on the more than 60 million British pounds ($82 million) in E.U. subsidies per year that are transferred to the region and that have helped finance infrastructure projects and education schemes.

Now, county officials are panicking — fearing the worst for the county's future and wondering why one of the most E.U.-dependent counties in Britain voted against the E.U. — and its money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-draw7&wpmm=1

typical ignorant, rural, conned, duped, suckered rightwingnuts, voting against their own best financial interests.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LONDON — On Thursday, 56 percent of all voters in the southwestern county of Cornwall voted in favor of leaving the European Union. It was a decision supported by a majority of the county's members of Parliament.

But only one day later, Cornwall residents were asking, "What have we done?"

The county is heavily dependent on the more than 60 million British pounds ($82 million) in E.U. subsidies per year that are transferred to the region and that have helped finance infrastructure projects and education schemes.

Now, county officials are panicking — fearing the worst for the county's future and wondering why one of the most E.U.-dependent counties in Britain voted against the E.U. — and its money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-draw7&wpmm=1

typical ignorant, rural, conned, duped, suckered rightwingnuts, voting against their own best financial interests.

Typical Boutons Hyperbole. The UK contributes 8.5 BILLION Pounds more to the EU than they get back from the EU.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New world order getting ed raw. Thanks to Trump and our compatriot Boris Johnson. True Americans

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that southwest corner of Cornwall is at risk of losing UKL60M from EU. G F Y

Thread Information