Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When there's any mention of helping these Americans off the street, in come the "handouts", "bootstraps" and "welfare queens" rants, tbh...
    the people who scream about taking care of unhoused Americans first generally don't care about them either -- the only acceptable explanation for penury is loserdom, and losers deserve bupkis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes that does occur. My opinion has changed recently as homelessness is unavoidable here in SoCal as you know yourself. I think employment is the only consistent solution I have seen. People need to feel self-worth and hope. Especially effective when tackling drug addiction

Don't want to hijack thread.
    We also need to accept that the world has changed and continues to change. Automation, services, remote work, etc. This isn't the 1950's and we're not going back there either unless this planet gets nuked into oblivion and we have to start again (at which point how we feel doesn't matter).

There's going to be more people, less low-skilled jobs, and at some point we might even see middle-skill jobs disappearing as well. We need to start having an adult conversation about this, and what we're going to do about it. It can't be driven by dogma or partisan politics, but, unfortunately, it probably will be.

On your point about addiction, we really need a multi-pronged approach. A good start would be legalizing and regulating weed (I don't smoke, but it's really no more harmful than alcohol, tbh), and shift enforcement on the real family-destroyers, which are hard drugs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem for USA isn't "the world",

it's corrupt, predatory, extractive, corrupt Capitalism having bribed, corrupted Congress to let Capitalists run amok under neo-liberalism.

As bribed, Congress has rigged the tax system in favor of the oligarchy.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes that does occur. My opinion has changed recently as homelessness is unavoidable here in SoCal as you know yourself. I think employment is the only consistent solution I have seen. People need to feel self-worth and hope. Especially effective when tackling drug addiction

Don't want to hijack thread.
    Absolutely.
    And part of your understanding has to be that when you grow up in a life of poverty with no hope and no skins in the game, so fcked up you cant even rely on your parents, that this is a life in trouble.
    Your solution. Lazy bas , lift yourself up. No excuses. Like thinking everyone starts out exactly the same in this country. Not educating and solving this problem leads to huge costs. But it easy to label the stupid black culture wants to be lazy and live like . Thats some absolutely stupid thinking. And it happens with whites in poverty as well. Where the are their parents? Pass the problem on, aint my problem.

Well it will be your and my problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Northern Ireland feeling all on their own now.
    The drug dealing Ulster men are laughing as their kids are attacking police.
    The side effects of such a ridiculously stupid deal.
    This part would not have been thought of as a problem when they first voted against GB staying.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...erbox-23891992

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now do poland...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to burst bubbles.

First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin, Cheddar Man DNA analysis reveals.

The first modern Britons, who lived about 10,000 years ago, had “dark to black” skin, a groundbreaking DNA analysis of Britain’s oldest complete skeleton has revealed.

The fossil, known as Cheddar Man, was unearthed more than a century ago in Gough’s Cave in Somerset. Intense speculation has built up around Cheddar Man’s origins and appearance because he lived shortly after the first settlers crossed from continental Europe to Britain at the end of the last ice age. People of white British ancestry alive today are descendants of this population.

It was initially assumed that Cheddar Man had pale skin and fair hair, but his DNA paints a different picture, strongly suggesting he had blue eyes, a very dark brown to black complexion and dark curly hair.

The discovery shows that the genes for lighter skin became widespread in European populations far later than originally thought – and that skin colour was not always a proxy for geographic origin in the way it is often seen to be today.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...alysis-reveals

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Now do poland...
    Austrians invested in our infrastructure and are credited today. Germans leveled our modern infrastructure. Russians did not invest and stagnated our development.

There are areas in Africa that are still worse off than the Europeans left it.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Sorry to burst bubbles.

First modern Britons had 'dark to black' skin, Cheddar Man DNA analysis reveals.

The first modern Britons, who lived about 10,000 years ago, had “dark to black” skin, a groundbreaking DNA analysis of Britain’s oldest complete skeleton has revealed.

The fossil, known as Cheddar Man, was unearthed more than a century ago in Gough’s Cave in Somerset. Intense speculation has built up around Cheddar Man’s origins and appearance because he lived shortly after the first settlers crossed from continental Europe to Britain at the end of the last ice age. People of white British ancestry alive today are descendants of this population.

It was initially assumed that Cheddar Man had pale skin and fair hair, but his DNA paints a different picture, strongly suggesting he had blue eyes, a very dark brown to black complexion and dark curly hair.

The discovery shows that the genes for lighter skin became widespread in European populations far later than originally thought – and that skin colour was not always a proxy for geographic origin in the way it is often seen to be today.

We all had a good laugh at this one. Thank you for the humorous flashback

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Africans?

The British formed empires in many more places than just Africa which contained people with a variety of skin color.
    It was to form "trade". It was to acquire materials and wealth that could not be found in the British Isles. Then when the British were on the verge of getting tossed after the empire started to crumble, they would be so firmly entrenched they would claim they were teaching the "natives" to drink tea with one finger not touching the cup? This was their cultural legacy? This was civilizing? Now they did do a good job of turning areas that were fighting each other, into areas that would fight them. In many places they would not slaughter the native people so they could be used as the work force to help bring goods and materials back. So yeah, they did try to keep them alive and reliably controlled to do the work.

Where did you get the above from? HistoryLessonsForWhitePeople
    The Spanish did they same and claimed it was to also give the conquered people religion.

In both cases the countries they conquered did retain some of the European habits so you claim this was the civilizing part or what? The Spanish had a huge influence on the spread of Catholicism. But the number of people they killed getting to bend to the will of their God and savior was not at all a Jesus-like method.
    Last edited by pgardn; 04-24-2021 at 04:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to burst bubbles.

Black Britons, go figure.

Btw, doesn't the word Welsh mean slave?

https://www.etymonline.com/word/welsh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (according to Anglo-Saxon culture)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black Britons, go figure.

Btw, doesn't the word Welsh mean slave?

https://www.etymonline.com/word/welsh
    Eh, a Welshman is just a Brit few can understand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, a Welshman is just a Brit few can understand.
    I wouldn't say that to a Welshman. YMMV.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Africans?

The British formed empires in many more places than just Africa which contained people with a variety of skin color.
    It was to form "trade". It was to acquire materials and wealth that could not be found in the British Isles. Then when the British were on the verge of getting tossed after the empire started to crumble, they would be so firmly entrenched they would claim they were teaching the "natives" to drink tea with one finger not touching the cup? This was their cultural legacy? This was civilizing? Now they did do a good job of turning areas that were fighting each other, into areas that would fight them. In many places they would not slaughter the native people so they could be used as the work force to help bring goods and materials back. So yeah, they did try to keep them alive and reliably controlled to do the work.

Where did you get the above from? HistoryLessonsForWhitePeople
    The Spanish did they same and claimed it was to also give the conquered people religion.

In both cases the countries they conquered did retain some of the European habits so you claim this was the civilizing part or what? The Spanish had a huge influence on the spread of Catholicism. But the number of people they killed getting to bend to the will of their God and savior was not at all a Jesus-like method.
    Sounds like Globalization. Sure the tactics and language was more old fashioned and barbaric.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Royal Navy to observe Jersey blockade, the French weigh cutting electricity to Jersey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the so-called "China travel ban" looked somewhat like this in 2020

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "UK screws Northern Ireland"

But Northern Ireland, created in 1921 when Britain carved six counties out of Ireland’s northeast, is not enjoying its centenary. Its most ardent upholders, the unionists who believe that the place they call “our wee country” is and must forever remain an intrinsic part of the United Kingdom, are in utter disarray. Their largest party has ousted two leaders within a matter of weeks, while an angry minority has taken to the streets waving flags and threatening violence. And the British government, in resolving Brexit, placed a new border in the Irish Sea.
    It’s harsh reward for what Northern Ireland’s first prime minister, James Craig, called “the most loyal part of Great Britain.” But the Protestant statelet is not what it was. Well on its way to having a Catholic majority, the country’s once dominant political force — unionism — now finds itself out of step with the community that traditionally gave it uncritical support. And for all his talk of the territorial integrity of the United Kingdom, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has made clear his government would cheerfully ditch this last little fragment of Britain’s empire if it continues to complicate Brexit.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/30/o...centenary.html

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Literally me right now. USA is the junior leagues to a place like this. Europa forever and I am returning.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    America is loud, obnoxious, wasteful, fat, disorganized, illogical and just plain stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like Globalization. Sure the tactics and language was more old fashioned and barbaric.
    wtf is globalization?

Sorry to inform you that we no longer just do sailing ships and are without radio and other communications.

Thread Information