Page 119 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3328
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Mavs/Hawks deal plus the potential inequity in the Spurs/Hawks trade is going to start making Atlanta the first call GMs make. Is IT doing consulting in Georgia?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young is a great shooter, but he’s not Curry and not really a franchise player. He’s a solid 2nd best player.

the key is always make trades for unprotected picks with teams that are consistently incompetent. Danny Ainge is the best. Trade with TWolves is one step off a trade with the Kings. Yes the Kings look good this year, but do you trust it to continue? What are the chances those T Wolf picks turn into lottery picks? Pretty good.

Atlanta isn’t a terrible front office, though they dumbly passed on Luka. But they are bad enough that it’s was worth the risk in trading DJM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IG Balla speaks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably missing us, but I think he would be unhappy playing here (and losing). The let down from thinking you are the missing piece only to realize the entire puzzle is broken

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably missing us, but I think he would be unhappy playing here (and losing). The let down from thinking you are the missing piece only to realize the entire puzzle is broken
    Yeah I really don’t think DJ is to blame here. Good for us though as he probably leaves in free agency.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DJM were here, we'd be contending for the play-in. The trade was not because he wasn't good. It was because the talent around him wasn't good enough to push for anything more than a playin/8th seed. But I'm sure it's hard to go from here, where this became his team to Atlanta, where he is second fiddle.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good to see him share that insight. He’s seeing the other side now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was never impressed with the return for Dejounte, but if the Hawks blow up, it could turn into a goldmine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If DJM were here, we'd be contending for the play-in. The trade was not because he wasn't good. It was because the talent around him wasn't good enough to push for anything more than a playin/8th seed. But I'm sure it's hard to go from here, where this became his team to Atlanta, where he is second fiddle.
    Ironic because it looks like the talent around him even now is only enough to push for a playin/8th seed. Could still change, but we will see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJM is not good enough to build around, at best 3rd option in a contender. He cracks easily when cornered, start talking, twitter-happy, dramatic queen not suitable as a leader. He’s too much distraction and volatile. I’m impressed with his hard work, but I agree with other posters, he could be out of the league soon if Detroit or some other team had drafted him.
    Last edited by John B; 01-14-2023 at 12:08 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trade was because Klutch let SA know that he wouldn’t extend again, and wanted to enter FA. To keep him, SA would have had to overpay a guy who isn’t franchise quality. He was a textbook case of sell high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was never impressed with the return for Dejounte, but if the Hawks blow up, it could turn into a goldmine.
    I’m sure NO wasn’t impressed with what looked to be a bunch of late first rounders and swaps they wouldn’t want to use, in the Davis trade. Life throws you curves sometimes, though.

Really? You aren’t impressed that we turned a #29 pick in 2016 into two unprotected picks and a swap, plus another possible FRP?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trade was because Klutch let SA know that he wouldn’t extend again, and wanted to enter FA. To keep him, SA would have had to overpay a guy who isn’t franchise quality. He was a textbook case of sell high.
    In all honesty it's all still up in the air.
    On one end of the spectrum, if the Hawks pull it together and Charlotte doesn't, we could be left with as little as a couple of late 1sts and a couple of late 2nds (if Charlotte doesn't make the playoffs within 3 years and Atlanta contends and is better than us for the next 4 years). Measly return for a young all star.
    On the other, the Hawks blow up and those unprotected picks and swaps turn into 3 lottery picks and Charlotte's into a mid first rounder. That's franchise altering.
    So basically it's a big gamble. As it stands right now, nothing is settled but I'm cautiously optimistic (unlike I was at the time of the trade).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have Poeltl that has basically said the same thing and the spurs have not traded him. DJM also had a much bigger impact on winning and will probably get a larger contract possibly close to max. This year will hurt him a little bit and we will see what he does next year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On one end of the spectrum, if the Hawks pull it together and Charlotte doesn't, we could be left with as little as a couple of late 1sts and a couple of late 2nds (if Charlotte doesn't make the playoffs within 3 years and Atlanta contends and is better than us for the next 4 years). Measly return for a young all star.
    On the other, the Hawks blow up and those unprotected picks and swaps turn into 3 lottery picks and Charlotte's into a mid first rounder. That's franchise altering.
    So basically it's a big gamble. As it stands right now, nothing is settled but I'm cautiously optimistic (unlike I was at the time of the trade).
    I was basically like you and thought we did not get enough in the trade. I still think we could have got more but we wanted to send him to ATL. I also dont think he wanted out as much as some people seem to think he did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This quote is hilarious when you take into account how he alluded to "non - basketball"/culture issues in San Antonio.

Stability is both hard to find/create and maintain in pro sports, otherwise every team would have it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was basically like you and thought we did not get enough in the trade. I still think we could have got more but we wanted to send him to ATL. I also dont think he wanted out as much as some people seem to think he did.
    I don’t necessarily think he wanted out, but it was clear that he wouldn’t extend again, and would enter unrestricted FA. That’s not where a team gets a friendly contract. They would likely have to pay franchise money to a non franchise player, and that’s how salary caps get bloated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t necessarily think he wanted out, but it was clear that he wouldn’t extend again, and would enter unrestricted FA. That’s not where a team gets a friendly contract. They would likely have to pay franchise money to a non franchise player, and that’s how salary caps get bloated.
    Exactly the timing just wasn’t right anymore given our rebuild and that he wasn’t eligible to a market rate extension.

I don’t think he necessarily wanted out but that deal suited both parties. His last season as a Spur he vastly outplayed his contract and I still think he will easily get 120/4yr or more come 2024 but we were never going to pay that.

I could see Keldon being moved in the next 12-24 months also.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs did well to identify a franchise with standing issues. They rely on an undersized chucker, had aging role-players, questionable young players, a bad contract in John Collins, and dodgy team chemistry. Not to mention whatever's going on with the F.O.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly the timing just wasn’t right anymore given our rebuild and that he wasn’t eligible to a market rate extension.

I don’t think he necessarily wanted out but that deal suited both parties. His last season as a Spur he vastly outplayed his contract and I still think he will easily get 120/4yr or more come 2024 but we were never going to pay that.

I could see Keldon being moved in the next 12-24 months also.
    I've been harping on the long slide we've had defensively and if they re-sign him, that slide will continue. You can absorb one, maybe two players in a rotation that are bad defensively or offensively, but not 3 or 4. And right now, that's what we have. You can't re-sign a player like that if you don't have The requisite others to fill the holes.

For context, our defense is last in the league in multiple categories even over Detroit and Houston and Charlotte that are just as young and even more up tempo. That portends a *piss poor* defensive future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also think Keldon will be traded before long. I just don't know whether his skill set is as recognizable or attractive as Dejounte's was -- long, defensive PG vs. undersize guy who shoots threes and drives to the hoop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also keep in mind Dejounte wanted and asked to go to the Hawks. He has no one to blame but himself for being in this situation. Good thing is if Trae gets traded, he is going to get the bag from a desperate Hawks GM in FA. It’s life changing money, but on a bad team, but it’ll be his bad team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many people think that the decisions you make are judged by the quality of the outcome which just wrong headed. You can make the 100% right decision, and it turns out with a less than desirable outcome. Yet, that decision is still the optimal one to make. There is virtually no scenario where the Spurs would have gotten more for DJM or where they could have reasonably expected him to make this team good enough to warrant keeping him and paying him. When you realize that, then the trade to Atlanta is obviously the right move to make every single time. There are scenarios when things don't play out as well as others, but there's really no reason for the Spurs to think twice about that trade.

Few people on this site were as high on that kid as I was/am. I still don't see how any trade would have been better (shocked they got as much as they did, quite frankly). I don't see how anything can be up in the air when the Spurs sold DJM at what is possibly the highest price they could have reasonably gotten for him.

Thread Information