Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is probably worth its own thread. Things to note:

-Strus to the Cavs is being reported as a done deal at $64 million over four years.
    -That deal is such a certainty that some sort of agreement on a sign-and-trade has to be close.
    -The Cavs have to complete a sign-and-trade to give him that money.
    -Osman makes $6.7 million next season and isn't owed any money beyond that amount.
    -The Spurs have multiple avenues to absorb his contract.

As it stands, if the Spurs are involved, my guess is they'd receive Osman and wouldn't have to send much back (maybe cash or one of their least valuable second round pick). There's even a chance the Spurs could get cash and/or a second round pick to take on Osman.

It's also noteworthy that the Heat would be involved in this trade and they're looking to dump the contracts of Kyle Lowry (~$30 million) and Victor Oladipo (~$10 million). Could one of those contracts get wrapped up in that trade? Is Osman even good enough to acquire at this point in time when you can be doing more interesting things with your cap space? Who would Osman take minutes away from?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way the Spurs should give up anything to help out this trade. Strictly get capital back only.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah if the spurs don’t get Lowry or some assets I have no idea why we would absorb Osman. Not worth our time imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've I'm reading this right, the Cavs should be able to complete the Strus trade with JUST Cedi if they stay below the tax. The new rules allow them to take back double his salary. So the Spurs could give the Heat a minor or fake second and get Cedi for cap space/RE, the Cavs can send Cedi to the Spurs and get Strus from Miami, and the Heat can send Strus to Cleveland and get a pick (real or fake) from the Spurs. The Cavs should be able to give cash to cover a lot of Osman's deal, which would basically be free money for the Holts. And they could legit want to keep him, or at least bring him into camp. I do wonder if the knowledge of this is playing into them not bringing Mamu back. Or maybe they're trying to get him to take a two-way? We'll see. Either way, that's a clean structure to this trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Osman doesn't matter. The salary matters. And they need to cough up if they want us to help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah if the spurs don’t get Lowry or some assets I have no idea why we would absorb Osman. Not worth our time imo
    If the Spurs are just taking him into cap space they don't intend to use, then just cash would be a win for ownership. If they take him into the RE, then that logic doesn't hold up and it would have to be a matter of them thinking he's a rotation player.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This doesn't seem to be anything major to me, unless the deal morphs into something much bigger to involve someone like Lowry.

Osman was a rotation player on the East #3 seed last year, but his stats don't stand out and the Cavs seem to view him as expendable. The 3 spot seems a bit crowded already.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems we are needed to make this possible, so not clear why we’d need to give up anything of value. I assume it’s because MIA doesn’t want to take on any salary to facilitate the S&T and CLE has cap and/roster constraints that mean they can’t outright sign him. Cedí is not an asset at this time, other than perhaps helping get to the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp I seem to recall you reporting a few years ago that the Spurs had their eyes on Osman going into the trade deadline. Could this be a pet player the Spurs have had their eyes on for awhile and now see a way to get him for cheap/free?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oladipo traded to OKC. Possibly related as a salary dump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get more picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more 2nd's the better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oladipo traded to OKC. Possibly related as a salary dump.
    If it's yet another salary dump the Spurs didn't get into, this is just going to get more interesting. There's a huge incentive for the Spurs to do something salary wise, SA and MIA have a great relationship, and this deal makes it less likely that the Heat see moving Lowry as desirable outside of a big trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nooooo

Oh wait, for free?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp I seem to recall you reporting a few years ago that the Spurs had their eyes on Osman going into the trade deadline. Could this be a pet player the Spurs have had their eyes on for awhile and now see a way to get him for cheap/free?
    It's possible ... but, by now, it's pretty much set in stone that Osman is basically a replacement level player. I can't imagine the Spurs still see possible upside in him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is the only article I could find on the Spurs being rumored to have interest in Osman back in 2022: https://airalamo.com/posts/would-ced...-antonio-spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Oladipo trade gets Miami in place to carry this trade without the Spurs. I don't get what the Heat get out of Cleveland. Another exception?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cedi for no picks back is stupid as and SA should not be doing things for money only….they have a legit asset (cap space) and need to use if for something meaningful (players who help and/or are trade able or absorbing deals for legit picks)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Oladipo trade gets Miami in place to carry this trade without the Spurs. I don't get what the Heat get out of Cleveland. Another exception?
    They probably don’t want to carry 7M of Cedi for doing the favor of a S&T. I think CLE needs to move off Cedi’s too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They probably don’t want to carry 7M of Cedi for doing the favor of a S&T. I think CLE needs to move off Cedi’s too.
    My question is why Miami would bother with a S&T at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is why Miami would bother with a S&T at all.
    At $14-Million TE is pretty handy for a team calling itself a contender. They'd have two mid-sized TEs after this, and it's possible they could time the trades where those guys provide most of the ballast to get them Harden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you can combine exceptions, can you?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After cutting Birth and supposedly giving Cissoko a full deal, adding Osman would only leave 1 roster spot, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Osman sucks and I’d think there’s gotta be a better use of the cap space than absorbing this deal for a ty pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you can combine exceptions, can you?
    You cannot, but none of these players are traded yet. So they can combine the outgoing salaries of Strus and Oladipo along with their current players to use to match Harden or Lillard and then just do everything as one big old trade.

Thread Information