Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spurs Ball
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Other than raw young talent and old Robinson

Duncan at his peak
    Inside game-Duncan-Rose on offense and Duncan-Robinson on defense
    Outside game-Parker/Bowen/Manu/Jack/Speedy-Youth athleticism playmaking/shotmaking
    Defense Terror-Duncan/Robinson/Bowen
    2 good Point guards-Parker/Claxton-Ton of speed
    Strong 9-12 veteran quartet-Kerr Willis S.Smith Ferry
    No one took them to 7 games despite raw talent
    Strong at Point/Wings/Bigs

Most talented complete team they had

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2003 Spurs team is the most overrated Spurs team of the Duncan era on this forum, tbh..

It's my favorite Spurs le team, which is the case for most people here, which is why it has become overrated, tbh..

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2003 Spurs were prone to blowing leads, like Game 5 against Dallas. I know people will point to Game 6 vs Miami this season, but big difference between the 2013 Heat and 2003 Mavs. They were extremely deep, but neither Parker nor Ginobili were close to the players they became later on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think the 99 Team blows every other Spurs team out of the water. Say what you want about the backcourt, but they were impossible to get good shots on with Prime Duncan, Near-Prime Robinson, and then still having Elliott on the perimeter to funnel drivers into the towers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it's overrated. D-Rob past prime. Ginobili and Parker very inconsistant, nowhere near the players they became. Jackson was also pretty damn inconsistant.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    only 1 true superstar. load up on Duncan in 2003, and you have to rely on a guy like Steve Kerr to bail you out.
    if dirk hadn't gotten injured in the WCF, they would've lose tbh. Spurs are forever grateful nellie held dirk out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    only 1 true superstar. load up on Duncan in 2003, and you have to rely on a guy like Steve Kerr to bail you out.
    if dirk hadn't gotten injured in the WCF, they would've lose tbh. Spurs are forever grateful nellie held dirk out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's crazy how dependent the Spurs were on Duncan back in the days. The whole offense was pretty much give the ball to tim in the post and he either scores 1 on 1, creates a double and kicks to a 3 point shooter or passes to a cutter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's crazy how dependent the Spurs were on Duncan back in the days. The whole offense was pretty much give the ball to tim in the post and he either scores 1 on 1, creates a double and kicks to a 3 point shooter or passes to a cutter.
    Yep. Every single possession would go through Timmy in the post. It's pretty remarkable actually when you think about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    was probably the worst 'team' of our le teams, but the most dominant version of Duncan.

Shootin' like Ed O'Bannon Darius McCrary's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 2003 Spurs team is the most overrated Spurs team of the Duncan era on this forum, tbh..

It's my favorite Spurs le team, which is the case for most people here, which is why it has become overrated, tbh..
    overrating a Spurs team with the best NBA player at the peak of his powers

2003 was special. By midway that season, Bruce Bowen and Stephen Jackson were the most physical defensive wingmen combo of the league. No one wanted any part of them. I specifically remember Bowen making Bizzaro Jordan fall down from trying to take Bowen off the dribble.

Very tall defensive wings that shoot awesome 3's, +speedy ever-last pg, +Peak Duncan, +Robinson, + Kerr (whom we could give the ball to up 3 at any point in the game and we'd know he'd hit every FreeThrow in any situation, he was basically the coup de gras of every Spur win that year)

That team was money in the bank.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    05 was better
    stretch 4 in Horry with Barry/Manu to still bail Tony out when he choked

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    whats so funny? OP asked for any weaknesses. IMO 1 superstar was their weakness--if you loaded up on Duncan, spurs had to rely on roleplayers to beat you, as opposed to a 2nd/3rd star like Manu/Parker. Throughout history, most championship teams have had multiple stud go-to guys. Duncan's 2003 Spurs are one of the few exceptions, along with Hakeem's championship Rockets and Dirk's 2011 Mavs. Obviously those teams won the le so they didn't have any glaring weaknesses, but when teams gameplanned against them, it usually involved trying to contain the 1 star and let the role players go nuts on you, or shut down all the role players and see if 1 guy can win a game by himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That team could play any damn game you threw at them, period! You said it's your fave too, which means it was that good!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They blew game one at home, were basically easily up 2-1 when DIRK got hurt! They got you at home in 03 the first game and then DIRK GOT HURT! You were never in control of that series you idiot, get the outta here with your soft frontline you were not winning a le that year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 03 team was overrated as . No way that team reaches the Final without Duncan playing god-mode, tbh

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    They blew game one at home, were basically easily up 2-1 when DIRK got hurt! They got you at home in 03 the first game and then DIRK GOT HURT! You were never in control of that series you idiot, get the outta here with your soft frontline you were not winning a le that year.
    FWIW Mavs beat the Spurs 2-1 in the regular season when Dirk played, and the 1 Dallas loss went to OT which required herculean above average efforts from multiple spurs. And like you said, DAL stole homecourt with a healthy dirk in game 1 of the series. Up until Dirk got hurt, you could easily see DAL beating SAS. Mavs had too much firepower that year (finley/van exel/nash/dirk). That "soft" frontline actually helped tremendously by drawing out guys like Duncan from the paint and opening up the lane. There's no way to know what would've happened for sure, but let's not pretend the Spurs didn't catch a break by Dirk getting hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW Mavs beat the Spurs 2-1 in the regular season when Dirk played, and the 1 Dallas loss went to OT which required herculean above average efforts from multiple spurs. And like you said, DAL stole homecourt with a healthy dirk in game 1 of the series. Up until Dirk got hurt, you could easily see DAL beating SAS. Mavs had too much firepower that year (finley/van exel/nash/dirk). That "soft" frontline actually helped tremendously by drawing out guys like Duncan from the paint and opening up the lane. There's no way to know what would've happened for sure, but let's not pretend the Spurs didn't catch a break by Dirk getting hurt.
    Spurs would have beaten the Mavs that year, you guys are lucky as C WEBB GOT HURT BRO! HAAHAHA get real son. When we beat LA we were winning it all that year, period end of ing discussion.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Spurs would have beaten the Mavs that year
    Maybe. No way you can say that with any certainty.
    The record between the two teams in games w/ a healthy Dirk (3-2, Mavs), suggests otherwise.
    Even after Dirk went down in the playoffs, Dallas managed to win game 5 in San Antonio.
    It's very possible Dallas manages to win 2 games out of 4 with a healthy Dirk, 3 of which would have been in Dallas.
    Maybe the Mavs were lucky CWebb went down, but the Spurs were also lucky he went down, as well as Nowitzki going down. Not to mention the pathetic Nets, which would've been a cakewalk for the Mavs, Kings or Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 03 team was overrated as . No way that team reaches the Final without Duncan playing god-mode, tbh
    Why does that mean they're overrated? The fact is, they did have god-mode Duncan, so that hardly seems like a reason for discounting them.

Yeah, they tend to be overrated on here. But that's not an outgrowth of reliance on Duncan, it's due to having 4 of the 5 best Spurs of all time on the team (top 5 in chronological order: Ice, D-Rob, TD, Tony, Manu), but having only one of them anywhere near his peak. People remember the names and how great those players are, but they weren't all great at that point in their careers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just had to cosign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe. No way you can say that with any certainty.
    The record between the two teams in games w/ a healthy Dirk (3-2, Mavs), suggests otherwise.
    Even after Dirk went down in the playoffs, Dallas managed to win game 5 in San Antonio.
    It's very possible Dallas manages to win 2 games out of 4 with a healthy Dirk, 3 of which would have been in Dallas.
    Maybe the Mavs were lucky CWebb went down, but the Spurs were also lucky he went down, as well as Nowitzki going down. Not to mention the pathetic Nets, which would've been a cakewalk for the Mavs, Kings or Lakers.
    As long as we're talking about getting lucky in which teams you had to face, those Mavs would have been steamrolled by a Lakers team that the Spurs beat in 6. Shaq could have gone for a 40/20 against that Mavs team, and Kobe could have gotten any shot he wanted.

Half the reason the Mavs won game 1 was that the Spurs still had a hangover from vanquishing the 3-time champs.

The reality is that defense wins championships, and it's no accident that the Mavs never won a le until they figured that out.

Is there no one else? AchillesHeel's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    05 was the best Spurs team, tbh. 03 Spurs I think Duncan was at his best but the team overall wasn't. I still love the 03 Spurs for spanking the Lakeshow

Thread Information