Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban isn't worth the $$ he's getting paid.
    No he isn't. People aren't going to realize it until he gets the heavy minutes. I liked Boban, I thought he was fun but no way in would I want the Spurs to commit more than 2 years on the guy. His body isn't going to stand up to the 82 game season. Let alone if they do go more than 2 rounds in the playoffs.

His body is going to breakdown especially because of the time he has already spent playing overseas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3yr/21M? He's easily worth what he got paid.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Boban isn't worth the $$ he's getting paid.
    Probably not the right thread talking about player's who aren't worth the amount of money they're about to make.

No he isn't. People aren't going to realize it until he gets the heavy minutes. I liked Boban, I thought he was fun but no way in would I want the Spurs to commit more than 2 years on the guy. His body isn't going to stand up to the 82 game season. Let alone if they do go more than 2 rounds in the playoffs.

His body is going to breakdown especially because of the time he has already spent playing overseas.
    How do you think a 39 year old Ginobili, who for the upteenth year in a row is going to be asked to carry a bench full of scrubs while trying to make them look halfway decent, will stand up to an 82 game season? Last two postseasons, he was benched during crunch time as he watched the "Ginobili's scrub all-stars" completely the bed without him.

Btw, Boban is hardly an athlete. He's just a guy that shoots over the top of defenders, grabs rebounds and blocks shots from a standing position because he towers over his compe ion. I'm not sure why you think that part of his game is going to breakdown in the next three years. Btw, have you seen Deadman play? I hope to god he's covering up an injury because that was one of the saddest 2 rebound, 6 fouls in 22 minute performances I've ever seen. He'd better be a lot better going forward because the Spurs are counting on him to be a rotation player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only two options were Manu at the room exception and Boban or Manu at whatever price above the room exception and Dedmon. One looks better than the other right now, but we'll have to see. Obviously Manu at the min or just gone changes the numbers a lot. But that probably was never an option.
    That really is not so clear to me.

You mean the Spurs could, renounce Manu, sign him with the room exception, and then Match Bobanīs offer which started at 5.6 millions, and still sign Gasol? (I am counting that with Boban in we are not going for Dedmon)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You mean the Spurs could, renounce Manu, sign him with the room exception, and then Match Bobanīs offer which started at 5.6 millions, and still sign Gasol? (I am counting that with Boban in we are not going for Dedmon)
    Yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only two options were Manu at the room exception and Boban or Manu at whatever price above the room exception and Dedmon. One looks better than the other right now, but we'll have to see. Obviously Manu at the min or just gone changes the numbers a lot. But that probably was never an option.

Yes, except that Manu was never taking the room exception, so it was not an option available to the Spurs.

There were ways to retain Manu and Boban, but they all involve not signing Gasol.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I donīt get your math to offer Gasol the salary he is making. As the Spurs are at the $111,175,298 mark, and the cap is at $94,143,000, even if you remove Manus Salary, you are still over the cap and unable to offer Gasol the 15.500.000 he is making.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, except that Manu was never taking the room exception, so it was not an option available to the Spurs.

There were ways to retain Manu and Boban, but they all involve not signing Gasol.
    I think Manu would have taken the Room Exception if those millions he was not getting were going to say, a Star or proven playoff performer, not for Boban clearly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Manu would have taken the Room Exception if those millions he was not getting were going to say, a Star or proven playoff performer, not for Boban clearly.
    Taking the room exception would have given the Spurs about 5.5M more cap space. So they could have possibly kept Diaw while still signing Gasol. Maybe Manu would have gone for that, but I find that highly unlikely.

Spurs could have kept Manu, Boban, and Diaw, and signed Dedmon. Just couldn't sign Gasol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that is the case, it seems to me the front office didn't think he was worth the investment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably not the right thread talking about player's who aren't worth the amount of money they're about to make.
    I liked Boban but going forward, he was more luxury than necessity. The amount he was paid by Detroit exceeded what he was worth to the Spurs. He was a fan favorite but I didn't see him being anything more than a 7 foot 4 conversation piece.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How do you think a 39 year old Ginobili, who for the upteenth year in a row is going to be asked to carry a bench full of scrubs while trying to make them look halfway decent, will stand up to an 82 game season? Last two postseasons, he was benched during crunch time as he watched the "Ginobili's scrub all-stars" completely the bed without him.

Btw, Boban is hardly an athlete. He's just a guy that shoots over the top of defenders, grabs rebounds and blocks shots from a standing position because he towers over his compe ion. I'm not sure why you think that part of his game is going to breakdown in the next three years. Btw, have you seen Deadman play? I hope to god he's covering up an injury because that was one of the saddest 2 rebound, 6 fouls in 22 minute performances I've ever seen. He'd better be a lot better going forward because the Spurs are counting on him to be a rotation player.
    Great post Hoops, per par

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't know what Manu role will be this season, but I suspect that largely depends on the two bolded areas in your second paragraph. That makes him worth it of some money. I don't know if it's $14m, but that pricetag was put by the Sixers, not the Spurs.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I don't know what Manu role will be this season, but I suspect that largely depends on the two bolded areas in your second paragraph. That makes him worth it of some money. I don't know if it's $14m, but that pricetag was put by the Sixers, not the Spurs.
    Agreed! Spurs got Jeremy Lin'd. But why would Brett Brown do such a thing? I thought he was our friend. Wasn't he the coach last year that was going to hand over Jahlil Okafor or Nerlans Noel to the Spurs for a scrub to be named later and a bag of cheez-its?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Taking the room exception would have given the Spurs about 5.5M more cap space. So they could have possibly kept Diaw while still signing Gasol. Maybe Manu would have gone for that, but I find that highly unlikely.

Spurs could have kept Manu, Boban, and Diaw, and signed Dedmon. Just couldn't sign Gasol.
    Chinook is implying that if Manu took the Room Exception then the Spurs could have Gasol and Boban, thatīs what he is or is not saying.
    We all agree that we could have kept Boban and Diaw if we donīt add Gasol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's exactly it. It was a choice between Gasol and Manu, or Boban and some second-tier player that they could have fit in under the cap. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

The money Manu got cost Holt and the minority owners some cash, but it didn't prevent them from getting superior players. If it's a choice between Gasol and Manu or, say, Boban and Diaw 2.0? It's not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed! Spurs got Jeremy Lin'd. But why would Brett Brown do such a thing? I thought he was our friend.

A lot of people in the league understand what Manu brings to the floor, and to the locker room. But few understand it better than Brett Brown. And I'm sure he didn't have to work too hard to convince Bryan Colangelo that it would be worth throwing some money at a chance to bring Manu in to be an example for the young players on that team. He's a compe or, and he still goes all-out. Those guys have never seen anything like that in a Sixers uniform. I don't think there was any attempt to screw the Spurs. I think that the Sixers had cap space, and Brown legitimately wanted to use a chunk of it to bring Manu in.

And from what we heard, even if the Sixers hadn't offered what they did, there were still other teams that were offering him a LOT more than the room exception. No matter what people here thought, signing him that cheap was never going to happen. Remember, a lot of people here (like most of them) thought the Spurs could legitimately afford Conley, and/or several other players who got grossly overpaid. The e in the cap put a lot of money into the pool, and it gave Manu a shot at a huge payday. I can't fault him for getting it. Those other teams came looking for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed! Spurs got Jeremy Lin'd. But why would Brett Brown do such a thing? I thought he was our friend. Wasn't he the coach last year that was going to hand over Jahlil Okafor or Nerlans Noel to the Spurs for a scrub to be named later and a bag of cheez-its?
    Few people know that Brett Brown was Manu's developmental coach when Gino arrived to the Spurs. There's a connection there that goes way, way back and I'm pretty sure Brett wasn't gouging, but actually felt that Manu could be a great influence to a very young team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Simmons in his podcast at the time speculated and without having any info asked: Was Colangelo screwing with the Spurs?

I can see that actually, but at the same time Manu is a legend and am glad he got paid, lot's of players got paid this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I donīt get your math to offer Gasol the salary he is making. As the Spurs are at the $111,175,298 mark, and the cap is at $94,143,000, even if you remove Manus Salary, you are still over the cap and unable to offer Gasol the 15.500.000 he is making.
    Manu only took about $5.5 Million of actual cap space. The rest was Bird rights after the fact. You take that hold out, and Boban slides right in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook is implying that if Manu took the Room Exception then the Spurs could have Gasol and Boban, thatīs what he is or is not saying.
    We all agree that we could have kept Boban and Diaw if we donīt add Gasol.
    He didn't imply anything, he said it outright. The CBA math is absolutely correct, but it assumes that Manu would be willing to play for the RE, which is not a realistic assumption.

It is equally correct that the Spurs could have signed Gasol for his 15M and kept Manu using his Bird Rights, if we assume that Boban would have signed for the RE.

Finally, the Spurs could have matched Detroit's offer for Boban and kept Manu using his Bird Rights, if we assume that Gasol would have signed for 10M instead of 15M.

All of those scenarios require one professional basketbal player to sign for many millions of dollars less than was available to him on the open market. None of those scenarios were available to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu only took about $5.5 Million of actual cap space. The rest was Bird rights after the fact. You take that hold out, and Boban slides right in.
    As above, the math works, but the Spurs were never going to renounce Manu and watch him sign elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Few people know that Brett Brown was Manu's developmental coach when Gino arrived to the Spurs. There's a connection there that goes way, way back and I'm pretty sure Brett wasn't gouging, but actually felt that Manu could be a great influence to a very young team.
    Beyond the Manu/Brown connection, Manu's agent has a relationship with Jerry Colangelo that goes back to the 1980's. Add in the salary cap floor factor and Philly was perfectly placed to make such an extreme offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As above, the math works, but the Spurs were never going to renounce Manu and watch him sign elsewhere.
    Yes, that's all true. I was just responding to TGY about how Manu and Boban worked. Manu taking $14 Million didn't cost Boban; Manu getting anything above the room exception did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, that's all true. I was just responding to TGY about how Manu and Boban worked. Manu taking $14 Million didn't cost Boban; Manu getting anything above the room exception did.
    This was all discussed when it happened. Spurs could've easily matched Boban's offer but they couldn't because Manure was close to signing with Philly. He cost us Boban. No way to spin it, folks.

Ask Chinook
    Here's why I commented. Your response to TGY, intended or not, implies that Boban plus Manu for the RE was an option that was just as available to the Spurs as Manu using Bird Rights plus Dedmon for the RE. As you've now clarified, Manu for the RE was never an available option. TGY, however, has run with your answer as support for his absurd notion.

Thread Information