Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not enough commercials in my post for you?
    "7 hours of commercial free football starts now"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole concept of RedZone makes no sense to me.

I like to see an entire drive, how it played it out. Big in' deal watching a highlight of a red zone play.

And again, I want to watch my team. I shouldn't have to pay any more money to the NFL and cable companies to get away from the 60th Budweiser or Chevy commercial of the evening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mid hates the one thing that blows a huge hole in his " Commercials" argument...

I'm shocked.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Mid getting regulated trying to defend fatbol as per par

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mid hates the one thing that blows a huge hole in his " Commercials" argument...

I'm shocked.
    No it doesn't. What about "I want to watch my team" didn't you understand?

Cutting to the Colts vs the Jags is STILL a break from the broadcast I want to watch.

I don't play fantasy. Red zone doesn't interest me.

How about this?

The NFL cut down on commercial time?

Just a thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take this forum we all know and love for example. We're all a bunch of diehard sports fans here.

When the NFL season starts...the NFL Sub-Forum will be packed. Every Sunday will have a 30+ page thread created in it's honor. Every time Russel Wilson loses a game...a thread will be started about it. Every time Cam Newton throws a pick....a thread will be started about it. Johnny Football gets photographed looking smacked out again....a thread will be started about it.

Now go down to the MLB Sub-Forum. It's a ing ghost town. Last time I was down there I'm sure I saw a tumbleweed rolling around trying to create a thread. There's a reason why baseball stories/threads are created in the NBA Forum, tbh.

Why do so many more "sports" fans go to the NFL forum and not to the MLB Forum? It's clearly obvious that the "incessant penalties and commercials" don't seem to bother the average sports fan here.

10,000,000,000 commercials and penalties + One game of football >>>> One game of baseball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take this forum we all know and love for example. We're all a bunch of diehard sports fans here.

When the NFL season starts...the NFL Sub-Forum will be packed. Every Sunday will have a 30+ page thread created in it's honor. Every time Russel Wilson loses a game...a thread will be started about it. Every time Cam Newton throws a pick....a thread will be started about it. Johnny Football gets photographed looking smacked out again....a thread will be started about it.

Now go down to the MLB Sub-Forum. It's a ing ghost town. Last time I was down there I'm sure I saw a tumbleweed rolling around trying to create a thread. There's a reason why baseball stories/threads are created in the NBA Forum, tbh.

Why do so many more "sports" fans go to the NFL forum and not to the MLB Forum? It's clearly obvious that the "incessant penalties and commercials" don't seem to bother the average sports fan here.

10,000,000,000 commercials and penalties + One game of football >>>> One game of baseball
    Yeah, yeah. We know foobaw is popular. What's that have to do with my personal problem with there being 75 commercials per broadcast?

You said redzone should cure that problem. I explained why it doesn't for me. Now you're on to appealing to popularity.

Keeping up with the Kardashians is more talked about than than The Wire. That doesn't make keeping up with the Kardashians any less .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mid getting regulated trying to defend fatbol as per par

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You said redzone should cure that problem.
    Explain to me how a channel with no commercials somehow doesn't cure the " 10,000,000 commercials" problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Explain to me how a channel with no commercials somehow doesn't cure the " 10,000,000 commercials" problem?
    My problem with commercials isn't that I have to watch them, it's that they are 4 minute BREAKS from the game I want to watch. Cutting to a game I have zero interest in is still a BREAK from the game I want to watch.

I know hardcore foooobaw fans love to see anything and everything that takes place on the field. But I don't really care about watching the Saints trying to score against the Falcons.

How is this hard for you to understand? A break is a break, whether I'm forced to watch a Chevy ad or another game.

Furthermore, RedZone doesn't solve this problem during the playoffs, Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, and the Super Bowl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My problem with commercials isn't that I have to watch them, it's that they are 4 minute BREAKS from the game I want to watch. Cutting to a game I have zero interest in is still a BREAK from the game I want to watch.

I know hardcore foooobaw fans love to see anything and everything that takes place on the field. But I don't really care about watching the Saints trying to score against the Falcons.

How is this hard for you to understand? A break is a break, whether I'm forced to watch a Chevy ad or another game.

Furthermore, RedZone doesn't solve this problem during the playoffs, Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football, and the Super Bowl.
    Then don't watch the NFL or RedZone. You're probably not going to anyways, tbh.

The NFL doesn't need your support. They're still the big dog on the block. Always will be....even with their 10 billion commercials.

I just find it incredibly dishonest of you to spin all of the negative things people complain about baseball into some sophisticated strategy talk. Take my post the other day about the pitcher throwing the ball back to 1st base 7 times in a row to check the runner. Very rarely does a runner get tagged out trying to get back to 1st base. You spin it as..........."Well this team should have done it more. That's the reason why they didn't get to the World Series".

I'm the first one to admit that foobaw has it's faults. Penalties, Concussions, Peyton Manning Commercial after Peyton Manning Commercial.....etc.

You've just drawn the line in the sand and will refuse to acknowledge any of baseball's shortcomings. It's all got a spin associated with it. "You just wouldn't get the intricate nuances involved in the game of baseball"....or something along those lines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then don't watch the NFL or RedZone. You're probably not going to anyways, tbh.

The NFL doesn't need your support. They're still the big dog on the block. Always will be....even with their 10 billion commercials.

I just find it incredibly dishonest of you to spin all of the negative things people complain about baseball into some sophisticated strategy talk. Take my post the other day about the pitcher throwing the ball back to 1st base 7 times in a row to check the runner. Very rarely does a runner get tagged out trying to get back to 1st base. You spin it as..........."Well this team should have done it more. That's the reason why they didn't get to the World Series".

I'm the first one to admit that foobaw has it's faults. Penalties, Concussions, Peyton Manning Commercial after Peyton Manning Commercial.....etc.

You've just drawn the line in the sand and will refuse to acknowledge any of baseball's shortcomings. It's all got a spin associated with it. "You just wouldn't get the intricate nuances involved in the game of baseball"....or something along those lines.
    Your argument is on aesthetic grounds. You don't like checking the runner because it "bores" you. That's fine. People are entertained/engaged by different things. But if my team was in the WS, with a speedy runner on 1st, I would want that runner to be checked (it never happens 7 times in row). It's an IN GAME action. A commercial or cutting away to RedZone isn't.

You don't like the time a pitcher takes between pitches. Fair enough. But it's still an IN GAME action and something a pitcher needs to do. When I was ing around throwing pitches, you need to take your time to focus. You can't just chuck pitches fast and expect them to be accurate.

I don't acknowledge baseball's faults that you and the others cite because they are aesthetic criticisms, and subjective.

Here's baseball faults:

- Homeplate umps are good, but still miss calls. Link them up with PitchTrax (easy to do) and the problem is solved.

- Don't cut to a commercial during a mid-inning pitching change.

- When the pitcher comes in relief, he shouldn't be allowed to warm up. He's already been warming up in the bullpen for the last 10 minutes. Get on with it. No one wants to see a warm up pitches on the game mound.

- Make breaking up double plays with hard slides and homeplate collisions legal again.

Other than that, all the other "faults" are aesthetic. "They don't run around enough, etc, etc."

Like I said, I don't need a bunch of running, jumping, and spinning to be entertained. We already have 2 other sports that cover that better than probably any sport can, so why do we need it in baseball? Baseball, at its core, is about one guy throwing an object at or near 100 mph (along with a variety of off-speed stuff) to a guy trying to hit that object with a bat that has a sweetspot no bigger than the object thrown. And it's a fascinating thing. But I get it, not ESPN highlight friendly enough. That's fine. You like what you like.

What gets me going is the myth baseball players are all fat (I know the soccer crew is trolling, but it's a troll without much truth and thus re ed), unathletic, and it doesn't take much "physicality" to play, which is complete horse when you investigate the strain throwing at max velocity puts on your body and the physical gifts and precise mechanical fundamentals you need to have to generate the amount of bat speed and torque to hit a ball 450 feet or throw 95 mph. I would rather play basketball at max for 30 minutes than throw 30 minutes at max. Running and jumping aren't the only kinds of athleticism.

As I said in the other thread, baseball isn't my favorite sport. I like all sports I follow equally if they're presented right. It's just a fact baseball is very in' hard and takes a great athlete with exceptional hand-eye coordination to play well. Yes, you can say this about all sports, but baseball's learning curve, from my experience and many others I know, is higher than basketball and football's.

Orioles center fielder Adam Jones, a great athlete, said, "I've told players from other sports, 'We [baseball players] could play your sport better than you could play our sport.'"
    I agree. Not out of bias, but because that has been my experience (and Kidd K and my friends). Yes. Anecdotal, but I can also make the argument appealing to biomechanics if you want to debate this idea.

As for football. Great sport. Love it. Don't like the NFL at the moment. Not a criticism of the sport, but of a specific league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Tebow likely to prove again that baseball is harder than football

So Tim Tebow wants to play professional baseball, even though he last played the sport as a junior in high school. Back then, he was a power-hitting outfielder who hit .494 with four home runs as his team reached the state semifinals. The Angels actually wanted to draft him, but he never turned in his information card.

Of course, at 29 years old and 11 years removed from baseball, the odds of a team even signing him are slim. Then again, the Chicago White Sox gave a basketball player named Michael Jordan a shot back in 1994, when he was 31 years old. Put immediately in Double-A, Jordan hit .202/.289/.266 with 30 stolen bases. It wasn't pretty, but even doing that well was impressive.

Really, it was a reminder that baseball is the most difficult of sports. You can't rely on raw athleticism if you don't have the hand-eye coordination to hit 95-mph fastballs and nasty sliders. We wish Tebow luck, but here's a list of football players who tried to play baseball and discovered they were much better at football.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/p...-than-football
    That so many folks tried to make it into baseball after having played professionally another sport says it all.

I don't know know of any guy that has tried that with soccer, tbh.

You know why? 'cause they know they have no chance in .

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That so many folks tried to make it into baseball after having played professionally another sport says it all.

Though baseball is the only sports where the offense does not control the "ball."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"So many folks."

Who?

Jordan, and now Tebow. T-Mac wasn't serious and was basically used as a publicity stunt by an Independent team to sell tickets. And he was terrible.

And to put Jordan's performance into perspective, he had a .556 OPS at the Double AA level. Average MLB OPS is .713.

NBA=MLB
    Euroleague/NCAA Division 1=AAA

AA baseball is probably the equivalent of a Euroleague team in the 2nd tier. It would be like a player shooting 35% in that said league. A really good rec league American player (who was maybe a former HS stud) under 35 could probably manage 35% shooting in the 2nd tier of the Euroleague, so it shows how unimpressive Jordan's attempt was.

Tebow has no chance in . He just has a massive ego and is something of an attention .

(tl;dr ahead. I know you don't like reading, so I thought I'd warn you).

Oh, and it has happened in soccer.

This guy was first a pro basketball player in the Turkish league, and then invited by his country's national team soccer coach to play soccer. He did, and eventually become one of Turkey's top pros, eventually making it to Lazio in Italy's Serie A (as you know, a top league in the world).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can_Bartu

Happened in the 60's, but soccer has always been deep talent pool wise, and there were a lot of great players in the 60's (Best, Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Charlton, etc).

"Well, he probably played a lot of soccer when he was young."

And Tebow played baseball, making the all state team in HS, so he obviously has reason to believe in himself, even if his belief has no chance of happening (you soccer crew still have little idea how hard the sport is).

Meanwhile, Hayne made an NFL roster after a few months of training, at 27 years old. Drew Henson flamed out in baseball after a year, batting .111, moved to football and had a 5 year career. Ainge moved to basketball after 3 years with the Blue Jays.

Corey Jenkens. Released by in 1999 from his AA team. Took up football and was drafted by the Dolphins as a 27 year old . Had a 3 year NFL career.

Brian Jordan. Had aspirations of being the next Bo Jackson, to be elite in both baseball and football. Drafted in the first round of the baseball draft and 7th round in the football draft in 1988 (so he was a more highly touted prospect in baseball). Walked immediately on to the Falcons. Led the Falcons in tackles and made the Pro Bowl. Meanwhile, he was only in the minors in baseball. He eventually signed with an MLB team, who gave him a bonus to concentrate on baseball full-time.

It never happens the other way around (flame out in pro football, basketball and then move onto the MLB).

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Really? So what does it say about basketball that Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Julius Peppers and Donovan McNabb went on to play in the NFL? (College hoops might as well be "professional" since they're all getting paid under the table anyway.)

Chad Ochocinco tried out for the MLS a few years ago:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6250413

Also, a few former European soccer players have sometimes gone on to play kicker in the NFL. See: Derek Smethurst, Toni Fritsch, and Neil O'Donoghue.

In fact, there have been plenty of athletes who have switched from one football code to another:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ode_to_another

More like they don't want to waste their athletic talent on a third-world lawn game that claims to be a "sport."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why should I pay for something extra to get away from the NFL's incessant commercials?

Why doesn't, you know, the NFL just put more of a hard cap on the number of commercials during a broadcast?

Besides, I tune into to watch my team and really couldn't care less about the Bucs driving against the Saints.

Red Zone is to appeal to fantasy nerds, and fantasy football is bigger than the actual sport these days.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Breaking news: Prince Fielder retiring from swing stick aka Malboro ball aka chew and spit aka diabetes catch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too much beer while he was sitting on the bench that he forgot how to dive into the dirt, a skill any 5 year old can master

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? So what does it say about basketball that Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, Julius Peppers and Donovan McNabb went on to play in the NFL? (College hoops might as well be "professional" since they're all getting paid under the table anyway.)

Chad Ochocinco tried out for the MLS a few years ago:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6250413

Also, a few former European soccer players have sometimes gone on to play kicker in the NFL. See: Derek Smethurst, Toni Fritsch, and Neil O'Donoghue.

In fact, there have been plenty of athletes who have switched from one football code to another:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ode_to_another

More like they don't want to waste their athletic talent on a third-world lawn game that claims to be a "sport."
    The fact that players from baseball's closest cousin (cricket) could never make it should tell DAF86 all he needs to know. And they've tried before.

And the in the 70's, the A's experimented by signing a world class sprinter (world record holder in the 60 yard dash) to use as a specialist pinch runner and base stealer. Should be easy enough, right? Why don't more teams do this?

He's was thrown out about 60% of the time A terrible rate. Rickey Henderson had years where he was only thrown out 18% of the time.

And baserunning is by far baseball's easiest skill (run fast in straight line for 90 feet with a few turns) and a world class sprinter couldn't even do it well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    too much beer while he was sitting on the bench that he forgot how to dive into the dirt, a skill any 5 year old can master
    See my latest post. If it's so easy, then why was a world class sprinter terrible at it?

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See my latest post. If it's so easy, then why was a world class sprinter terrible at it?

Minnesota United FC?

I don't think that team is even in the MLS

You don't want us to post minor league lowlights

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minnesota United FC?

I don't think that team is even in the MLS

You don't want us to post minor league lowlights
    You know how many bloopers exist at all levels of soccer?

Wow. People up. Who would've thought?

Anyhow:

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information