Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Dale gets a boner going thru his almanacs looking up the songs. Check.

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    That's a lot of over-simplified hogwash.

Motives, intentions, rights, wrongs, tension twixt, the ominous moods, the reason for being, none of this is similar.

Of course certain details like roads or money or Texas or law are going to be similar. Both are crime movies. Both are located in similar settings. Both involve people.

But nothing that ties the plot together is similar.

At udes of everyone involved included.

Your strongest point is the similarity of Bridges/Jones characters, in that each has seen it all, or mostly seen it all, brings a wealth of perspective, but where Jones was a crotchety cynic, Bridges was a mostly sarcastic-go-lucky. One was resolute to a world where he understood he couldn't solve or fix everything, or maybe anything, despite best attempts. The other was indignant and impervious to the notion that he couldn't solve or fix or correct all wrongs, badge or no badge.

Factor in one plot revolves around shady drugs, their reach and influence, and the corrupting influence of blood money, and the other is about opportune/vulture banking preying upon the weak.

At no point in No Country was there a moral righteousness to what Brolin did. He was entirely selfish. There's was no greater good. No high ground.

With the brothers, it was righting a wrong even if wrongly.

All of your superficial similarities do not mean they are anywhere similar in films.

It's like saying Heat is trying to be Oceans 11 (the original). Or that Django and 12 Years A Slave are alike.

Topics, settings, tropes, sure.

But the films aren't even close to being similar.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If Bridges is so happy go lucky, why does he carry the hard on to get the one brother long after it's over?
    Okay, he's pissed because his partner was killed.
    But I read it more as his egotistical every-thing-in-his-West Texas life-went-his-way that he just can't let it end by being (in his mind) one upped.

Oh and I sure f'd up on the Tommy Lee Jones fake accent. Born and grew up near Midland.
    Bridges on the other hand, spare me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    If Bridges is so happy go lucky, why does he carry the hard on to get the one brother long after it's over?
    Okay, he's pissed because his partner was killed.
    But I read it more as his egotistical every-thing-in-his-West Texas life-went-his-way that he just can't let it end by being (in his mind) one upped.

Oh and I sure f'd up on the Tommy Lee Jones fake accent. Born and grew up near Midland.
    Bridges on the other hand, spare me.
    I didn't say happy go lucky. I didn't say happy at all.

I said sarcastic go lucky. For most of the film the chase is a game. Then it's personal. Then it's life-fulfilling.

But at udes are drastically different, one being cynical to a fault, the other the an hesis of cynical.

As for the accent. I never said it was real. You said it was a copy. You said the whole character was a copy. But Bridges and his fake accent have made western films since the 80s. And their character's at udes are nothing alike. So other than they are Texas lawmen chasing money, you have nothing.

You seem to have a problem with comprehension.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    , just in the last few scenes of each film involving the Jones and Bridges characters:

1. Jones is woefully dismayed at what the world has become, lamenting he can't be motivated to see his job to its necessary conclusions in the light of the weight of atrocity. It's too big for him. He's crushed by the weight of the knowing what, but not knowing why. He can't "see" himself in the world. There's no place for him, his ways, his ideals despite an office that allows him to influence such.

2. Bridges, already lost to time, already out of it, is unwavering in his at ude that he will not allow what took place to happen without a comeuppance. Indignant, heavy-handed, he intimates he knows, and looking at the oil rigs and the family, knows why, and that's he's unmoved by their heartstrings story or Robin Hood attempts since resulting actions caused loss of life. His ways, his ideal of what needs doing don't begin or end with the badge.

One is so much a cynic he can't get out of his own way even for the sake of justice. The other, is so much the realist that he knows what happened must be met with some form of Justice.

Yeah, they both talk in drawls, one more realistic than the other.

Sure they each wore stars.

Yep, they each chased crime and money.

But how, why, to what end...

Nothing alike.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    All that silly bull over a movie, hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    All that silly bull over a movie, hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~
    You're just pissed because neither film involved underage Asian tail.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    meh, not that either one of us wants or needs third parties....here one that has thoughts from both of us:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/12/12...ern-chris-pine

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    So you read a flawed review and had your mind made up for you because of superficial matches that dance around the nature of each character by masquerading tropes as analysis.

Must be nice to be a free thinker.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So you read a flawed review and had your mind made up for you because of superficial matches that dance around the nature of each character by masquerading tropes as analysis.

Must be nice to be a free thinker.
    read the review after everything posted.
    give it a break.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Nah... my guess is you made an assertion, had no proof, and scouted the internet for anything that backed up your claim. Probably have " Or Highwater No Country For Old Men" in your Google History.

Great job finding an article that makes only the most simplistic of links.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Holy ! The article you posted is the first search return on my joke above!

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You're just pissed because neither film involved underage Asian tail.
    I was in the navy some 50 years ago little man, ok? Undersage...????

ing moron.
    Last edited by Avante; 11-23-2016 at 02:43 PM.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    I was in the navy some 50 years ago little man, ok? Undersage...????

ing moron.
    Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Nah... my guess is you made an assertion, had no proof, and scouted the internet for anything that backed up your claim. Probably have " Or Highwater No Country For Old Men" in your Google History.

Great job finding an article that makes only the most simplistic of links.
    Pure fertilizer fabricated by you.
    But if you were to choose to believe your own fert, it begets the question why would you be discussing movies with a poster if they did fit that fantacy? Hmmn?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Because it's a public conversation and even if you still believe you bull , I might sway others from thinking two movies unlike in almost every way aside from them being about crime are the same, and, both, according to you, are merely meh, when each was arguably the best film of the year.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good man movie....very few weak spots and captured life in west tx...very good story and the end scene was classic.. 8/10 because lets face it, West TX has no cinematography

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Doesn't that make sense to you, or is your brain that dumb that you can't even get that?
    Who really cares about sailors in bars to begin with? Yep, only some idiot so no it doesn't make any sense to me or anyone else.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We need more movies filmed in Texas with a sound track that features....

Townes Van Zandt
    Gillian Welch
    Bonnie Raitt
    Waylon Jennings
    Willie Nelson
    Ray Wylie Hubbard
    Hank Williams
    Albert Collins
    Steve Earle
    Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
    Patsy Montana
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Lightnin' Hopkins

A movie about a hoboing guitar player and a murder at some out in the dust cow town juke joint. Drugs, violence, sex, and the ...........music.

Sunsets, sunrises, dirt, grim, a lot of grit. And a cast of first time actors (in the movies that is)

Opening scene.....

We come up behind a tall long hair with a guitar strapped across his back and his thumb sticking out as a red Corvette and a gorgeous blonde speeds by, he just hangs his head and starts walking down a long lonely desolate Texas road....as we hear...

Just before the sun goes down, up pulls an old hippie in an old beat up pick up truck, he's heading to Tyler, on the radio......

The old hippie lights a joint up, takes a hit and hands it to our hobo. This goes on for another 20 miles or so, before.....let me out here, and thanks partner. Our hobo walks into the Fat Freddy's Bar, on the juke box.....

....then she walked in and every head in the bar turns, she walked right over to our hobo and.................
    Last edited by Avante; 11-28-2016 at 03:04 AM.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    USC Trojans
    Who really cares about sailors in bars to begin with?
    Well the 12 year old Olongapo girls who get raped by them, for starters.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well the 12 year old Olongapo girls who get raped by them, for starters.
    Are you really dumb enought to think that bars hired 12 year old girls to hustle drinks? You cannot be this stupid. Stupid, the drinking age was 18 ok dummy? Now think, ok?

And, who in the would prefer some under developed, flat chested, know nothing kid to a full grown woman who knew what she was doing, well?

Never seen so many total idiots in one place before, wow~~~~~

And, how do ya rape a professional hooker who is of age?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Because it's a public conversation and even if you still believe you bull , I might sway others from thinking two movies unlike in almost every way aside from them being about crime are the same, and, both, according to you, are merely meh, when each was arguably the best film of the year.
    ...and don't forget to add, future generations will be able to fawn over your review.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    ...and don't forget to add, future generations will be able to fawn over your review.
    Fringe benefit. Primary objective was to clear out the BS.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You didn't disprove squat.
    Just gave your opinion.

Which is what a lot of movie reviewing is about.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Dude, I obliterated your bull .

You have no argument.

And I exposed you as a google opinion.

Thread Information