Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That is the kid in ya.
    He'll never die.
    So Thread hit this dead on. Reminded me of how much time and enjoyment I got as a kid riding a bike all over the town. I'd sometimes go by myself but most often a group of 4 or 5 of us would bike all over the place.
    We'd be gone for hours at least and sometimes the whole day. Thinking back, it was probably my favorite thing to do. We'd sometimes invent games to play on the bikes. One I remember was our version of Tron. We'd have a space blocked off in the street with boundaries and the goal was to cut in front of someone to make them put their feet on the ground.

But most often, it was just riding through the neighborhoods. Trying to find a new alley or trail to explore. Like I said, we'd be gone for the day.

I don't see many groups of kids doing this anymore. Don't know if it's because of computer time or parental worry.
    I know I'd not be comfortable letting my kid be out of my sight for that long and not knowing where they were going.
    Wonder if the world is really more dangerous today or it's just that we hear about every single bad thing that happens.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is a great topic. I recall much of the same, although my personal favorite was riding over bridges. The speed on the way down was fantastic. We'd cover a large area in a matter of an hour. The amount of energy you have as a kid is amazing really.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was riding my bike from Visalia to Exeter, my destination was Rocky Hill and that coast down the hill. I was 18 years old and in fantastic shape (football shape). I was shirtless and wore cutoffs, yep, bronze muscles rippling. So as I peddled along thinking about all those tarantulas I was seeing crossing the road (little black ones) a girl in a red Corvette pulls up and..."hi". I was used to this so I just grinned and.."hi".

Well I never made it up Rocky Hill, and there was noway my bike would fit anywhere in/on that Corvette so I ended up following her to her house. She was amazing, but a screamer. Thank God she lived on the end of a road, a little off from anyone. Afterwards we exchanged phone numbers and promised to do this again. Obviously the ride home was one huge smile.

We saw each other a half dozen times after that, she'd come and pick me up. She even came to a couple of my football games. Then one day I called and a guy answered, yep....her husband.

So everytime I drive by Rocky Hill, I think of Wanda and all that.....YES YESSSSSSSS OH GODDDDDD....YESSSSSS~~~~~

I still have a scar on my back.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This is a great topic. I recall much of the same, although my personal favorite was riding over bridges. The speed on the way down was fantastic. We'd cover a large area in a matter of an hour. The amount of energy you have as a kid is amazing really.
    Yes...the energy. I see people riding road bikes up hills and I'm thinking there's now way I could do that today. But as a kid going up ever steeper hills on just a dirt bike. Also the lack of fear that I had as a kid. Flying down hills without any thoughts of what would happen if I crashed or a car backed out of a driveway.

All that being said, these couple of threads have just about convinced me to get a bike again.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Yep, coasting up the driveway, hopping off and letting the bike keep on-a-goin'.

The sissy bar, the banana seat, the speedometer that never quite worked right + cost a fortune.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    College
    Kentucky Wildcats
    I was riding my bike from Visalia to Exeter, my destination was Rocky Hill and that coast down the hill. I was 18 years old and in fantastic shape (football shape). I was shirtless and wore cutoffs, yep, bronze muscles rippling. So as I peddled along thinking about all those tarantulas I was seeing crossing the road (little black ones) a girl in a red Corvette pulls up and..."hi". I was used to this so I just grinned and.."hi".

Well I never made it up Rocky Hill, and there was noway my bike would fit anywhere in/on that Corvette so I ended up following her to her house. She was amazing, but a screamer. Thank God she lived on the end of a road, a little off from anyone. Afterwards we exchanged phone numbers and promised to do this again. Obviously the ride home was one huge smile.

We saw each other a half dozen times after that, she'd come and pick me up. She even came to a couple of my football games. Then one day I called and a guy answered, yep....her husband.

So everytime I drive by Rocky Hill, I think of Wanda and all that.....YES YESSSSSSSS OH GODDDDDD....YESSSSSS~~~~~

I still have a scar on my back.
    So let me get this right, slick. You made up a 12 hour bike ride in your youth to impress people you don't care about? That sounds yep..... pathetic.

You've never walked the streets of Bakersfield but I do believe you tried to kiss little sister once or twice.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    found my old bike. LOL. IIRC, I changed out the grips and added chromers. I was always jealous of my friend who would get a nice bike and then modify it with even higher end parts. Looking back, I'm not sure that he got much extra performance. But I remember how cool it sounded when he said he was going to change out his brakes for Shimanos. Even though I didn't really have a clue what that would do.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yes...the energy. I see people riding road bikes up hills and I'm thinking there's now way I could do that today. But as a kid going up ever steeper hills on just a dirt bike. Also the lack of fear that I had as a kid. Flying down hills without any thoughts of what would happen if I crashed or a car backed out of a driveway.

All that being said, these couple of threads have just about convinced me to get a bike again.
    I have a brand new bike that I haven't used. It just sits there, good quality too. I think for some reason as adults we have an idea of spacial exercising. The gym, an outdoor or indoor basketball court, a hockey rink, skate parks for those types, soccer fields, general fields for football etc. And we have transformed (perhaps) for matters of practicality instead of general fun. As if unorganized rifting is solely for the kids. Even in biking for the most part you have these "weekend warriors" fully decked out in their Lance Armstrong starter kit. I think you may be right, just get on a bike and go.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    found my old bike. LOL. IIRC, I changed out the grips and added chromers. I was always jealous of my friend who would get a nice bike and then modify it with even higher end parts. Looking back, I'm not sure that he got much extra performance. But I remember how cool it sounded when he said he was going to change out his brakes for Shimanos. Even though I didn't really have a clue what that would do.
    I used to cruise my Diamondback everywhere. This was in Dallas though. Greedy Grove mutha a

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Just takes practice, then you can bomb that hill on the way down Glad I have disc brakes these days though

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I had a bike that resembled this

A mountain bike prior that resembled this to some extent

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have a brand new bike that I haven't used. It just sits there, good quality too. I think for some reason as adults we have an idea of spacial exercising. The gym, an outdoor or indoor basketball court, a hockey rink, skate parks for those types, soccer fields, general fields for football etc. And we have transformed (perhaps) for matters of practicality instead of general fun. As if unorganized rifting is solely for the kids. Even in biking for the most part you have these "weekend warriors" fully decked out in their Lance Armstrong starter kit. I think you may be right, just get on a bike and go.
    Yeah...in a round of bout way, you've hit on my dilemma. Bought a bike about 8 years ago along with my wife. And they just hung in the garage. When we moved, we sold them at a garage sale. Probably rode it twice around the block. And I don't think I'm going to get to the point where I want to get biker shorts and shirt and join the packs I see riding around. Not to mention, I don't like the idea of riding along a highway or even busy county road with no shoulder. I want something less than that. But more than just going around the block a few times.

I don't ever see any people my age just cruising around a neighborhood on a bike wearing regular shorts and a t-shirt. Although I kind of live out in the sticks.

There are some nice parks in Fort Worth / Arlington I think that have cool areas to ride. But that means putting a rack on the cars and dealing with having to drive somewhere to ride a bike. Then load up and drive home again.

If I do get a bike, there's a 75% chance that it'll just sit there. But there's also that chance that I'll end up enjoying the out of it and wondering why I didn't do this sooner. And I guess that's what will cause me to spend the money and give it another shot.

That being said, I'll probably get busy and forget about the whole thing.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just takes practice, then you can bomb that hill on the way down Glad I have disc brakes these days though
    You sound pretty knowledgeable. What kind of bike should I be looking at? I'm not going to do much "road" riding if that makes sense. Just something that's pretty easy to use and do some casual cruising around. But not completely limiting me from having to get up and down some hills from time to time. Am I looking for a mountain bike?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Balance Buddy is one of the best inventions made - too late for me though - would have saved a lot of back-breaking time.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I used to cruise my Diamondback everywhere. This was in Dallas though. Greedy Grove mutha a
    Nice. I'd love to go back to my old neighborhood and cruise the same streets. I could drive through about half the city without having to drive down a busy street. And get from the south end to the north.
    LOL. I just looked up Greedy Grove. WTF.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You sound pretty knowledgeable. What kind of bike should I be looking at? I'm not going to do much "road" riding if that makes sense. Just something that's pretty easy to use and do some casual cruising around. But not completely limiting me from having to get up and down some hills from time to time. Am I looking for a mountain bike?
    commuter/hybrid bike should work fine. If you have a local bike shop that sells used bikes, just tell them what you are looking for and they can make recommendations, or maybe even build you a bike out of old parts. That's how I got my 29er mountain bike, the dude was about to build one up as a single speed but added gears for me.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So let me get this right, slick. You made up a 12 hour bike ride in your youth to impress people you don't care about? That sounds yep..... pathetic.

You've never walked the streets of Bakersfield but I do believe you tried to kiss little sister once or twice.
    Actually little fella I have walked the streets of Bakersfield and Oildale many times. Been all over the place there. , I used to hit the Bakersfield Relays every year for a decade. Played football there when I was in HS. Been up and down BUCK OWENS Drive....many times. So you are 100% WRONG. Dummy, I live in Porterville...now think.

I made that trip many times from Visalia to Rocky Hill, usually a gang of us would go up. Coming off the hill was very cool. So you are 100% WRONG.

Stupid, that wasn't the only time I got picked up riding my bike, trust me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I was shirtless and wore cutoffs
    Dry heave

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah...in a round of bout way, you've hit on my dilemma. Bought a bike about 8 years ago along with my wife. And they just hung in the garage. When we moved, we sold them at a garage sale. Probably rode it twice around the block. And I don't think I'm going to get to the point where I want to get biker shorts and shirt and join the packs I see riding around. Not to mention, I don't like the idea of riding along a highway or even busy county road with no shoulder. I want something less than that. But more than just going around the block a few times.

I don't ever see any people my age just cruising around a neighborhood on a bike wearing regular shorts and a t-shirt. Although I kind of live out in the sticks.

There are some nice parks in Fort Worth / Arlington I think that have cool areas to ride. But that means putting a rack on the cars and dealing with having to drive somewhere to ride a bike. Then load up and drive home again.

If I do get a bike, there's a 75% chance that it'll just sit there. But there's also that chance that I'll end up enjoying the out of it and wondering why I didn't do this sooner. And I guess that's what will cause me to spend the money and give it another shot.

That being said, I'll probably get busy and forget about the whole thing.
    Isn't that the truth.

You are in quite the position with no area within a decent proximity where you can ride. Riding against the traffic just doesn't do it, as you would likely feel awkward doing so. And the sticks typically don't have sidewalks from my experiences.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Biking is one of the main reasons I have a place in Sunriver. It's kind of a bicycle nirvana.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Nice. I'd love to go back to my old neighborhood and cruise the same streets. I could drive through about half the city without having to drive down a busy street. And get from the south end to the north.
    LOL. I just looked up Greedy Grove. WTF.
    Why do you think I laugh at all these fake ass thugs? I grew up in the thick of it. I learned to fight and box before I learned how to ride a bike. Not one of these es on here would intimidate me. Now think.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Why do you think I laugh at all these fake ass thugs? I grew up in the thick of it. I learned to fight and box before I learned how to ride a bike. Not one of these es on here would intimidate me. Now think.

It's time I tossed ya bone ya little punk.

I'd love to see the look on your face with me standing in front of you. Trust me ya little you will be intimidated, ok?

Ok, back to ignoring that...DUH~~~..that is you.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I'd love to see the look on your face with me standing in front of you. Trust me ya little you will be intimidated, ok?

You can go back to ignoring because you know you are full of . I've squared up with and taken down bigger than you. Daddy was a boxer and I grew up in the ring. It wouldn't even be a sparring match with you. It would be a waste of time.

Go back to ignoring like the little that you are. It would take a lot more than 360 pounds of twisted stool to intimidate me. If anything, I might make an example out of you for any other pedos that crossed me, .

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Don't talk to anyone, old got. You don't have a bit of ing room. I tossed you a bone a long time ago and you proved to everyone here that you are just a fat, scared ass old man behind a screen. All you did was duck and dodge me while I called you out...and you are still doing it today.

Cue the "no one will believe its me" excuse about the video.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You can go back to ignoring because you know you are full of . I've squared up with and taken down bigger than you. Daddy was a boxer and I grew up in the ring. It wouldn't even be a sparring match with you. It would be a waste of time.

Go back to ignoring like the little that you are. It would take a lot more than 360 pounds of twisted stool to intimidate me. If anything, I might make an example out of you for any other pedos that crossed me, .
    Heard he was undefeated in touch butt in the navy, I'd watch your step.

Thread Information