Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA's offense has been the least of our problems tonight.
    Agreed. His defense was the real issue, Blake took LMA to school in every possession.

Also LMA has easily outplayed Kawhi tonight while matched up with Blake
    Stop kidding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. At worst, it suggests the team will be match-up dependent. If LMA has a good match-up, he'll dominate.
    I wonder which match-up against elite bigs is good for him...Because he looked so bad against Cousins and Blake.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder which match-up against elite bigs is good for him...Because he looked so bad against Cousins and Blake.
    Looked great against Raymond, got

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said ELITE bigs, troll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker falling off a cliff has completely scuppered PATFO plan/vision as to how this team would look like in 2017. I would still argue they wouldn’t have given him that money in the extension if they knew this what would become of him 3 years later.

They had imagined Tony –being the youngest of member of the old Big 3 --to be a nice third wheel (13-15 ppg.) in new Big 3 formed of Kawhi and the Free Agent Big they would chase in 2015 offseason. In nights like yesterday, you needed something close to a vintage TP as a safety valve scoring option (see the Detroit/Cavs game last season) to keep you in the game and chip away at the Clips lead when their shots stopped falling for moment in the 2nd/3rd Q..

For the past two seasons we just have been lacking that option in our backcourt that--when needed- could consistently get you buckets from the dribble drive and FT line -- and it is maybe a costly thing vs other contenders if kawhi/LMA aren't balling at the same time as in the season opener vs GSW..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ I don't think this team will beat the Clippers or GSW if none of Parker/Mills/Manu is providing +10 ppg in the series..We know better than bank on Softridge to give you an efficient 24/12 in a 2nd round playoff series..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IIRC, the only info we had about Dedmon was that the Spurs signed him with the RE, period. I'm fairly sure that's how we knew that Manu wasn't getting resigned with the RE... as you were advocating in the offseason. Then again, you were way more active than me during the offseason chatter, so I'm probably wrong on this and I'll gladly take your word for it.
    This is what was actually reported:

So yeah, we didn't know it was for the RE. That was the assumption, but the Spurs could've still signed Manu with it and just given $3 Million in cap to Dedmon. If you recall, the same possibility existed with Beli's contract three years ago, except it was the RE and MLE instead of RE and cap space.

That's why I'm a bit averse of moving Pau out of the starting lineup. It's a conundrum, but the dropoff on offense, as this team is built right now, from Pau to Dedmon is pretty darned big.
    It wouldn't be as big if the team had a PG who could still run the PnR effectively. Dedmon could probably average 12ppg in that case. Pau would still be better off the bench, as that unit really needs buckets with Anderson being bad and Simmons being inconsistent.

The worst part is that we both know Tony and Manu are not going anywhere, and neither Kyle or Simms are going to fetch you much with their contracts. So we're going to have to make it work this way.
    I do wonder if Pop tries to make a move. On one hand, it would be from a position of short-sighted weakness, but on the other hand, if anything is true about the LMA rumors, then it seems like they either have to make the move for a guard or move on from him. There's no point in pissing away one of these last two years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LmA is a good scorer TBH... Now if the team's offense doesn't take advantage of everyone in a way that they are involved making each other better that is a problem. They have scorers... heck last night they started Patty who has been on fire. They are not generating good looks for all their guys in a consistent fashion. Usually it's the stars that help teammates be better... and when you have several elite players together (Pau/LMA/Kawhi) they should be difficult to defend all at once, leaving a 3 pt shooter with a good look or one of the guys who can burn you, to burn you.

Maybe the point is they don't have quality guard play, an issue they have suffered from the past couple of years and one that was not addressed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this forum has much more options ... so STOP STARTING GAME THREADS !!!

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    this team lacks an alpha first option tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, they lack the same thing they have for 2+ seasons and that's a lead play maker. It's primarily why they've been terrible versus elite teams and haven't been legit contenders since then.

Still, some of this has to fall on Leonard. He's been their clear best player from '15 on and he's played poorly in too many of these games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not impressed with Gasol at all

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense should go through LMA more often. I hate to reward a guy that doesnt hustle and do enough of the dirty work, Im much more of a Kawhi fan in that regard, but if we dont utilize LMA enough were not going to get the benefits of him and he is a good scorer. Post him up more and have him drive and score or drive and kick or just get to the free throw line. Hes a big man that can shoot free throws but doesnt get to the line! Huh?

Its Kawhis team but LMA should take charge more. Battle for position down low and demand the ball and make a decisive move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what was actually reported:

So yeah, we didn't know it was for the RE. That was the assumption, but the Spurs could've still signed Manu with it and just given $3 Million in cap to Dedmon. If you recall, the same possibility existed with Beli's contract three years ago, except it was the RE and MLE instead of RE and cap space.
    But it was the assumption (which turned out to be right) because the Spurs didn't really have $3m in actual free cap space then. They could've dropped the 5.5M in Manu's cap hold to make room, but Manu had a juicy offer and PATFO really was intent in keeping him. So ultimately, the plan was to keep Manu after losing TD to retirement, and signing Dedmon could only be done with the exception, because they didn't really have the cap space to do it without some maneuvering.

It wouldn't be as big if the team had a PG who could still run the PnR effectively. Dedmon could probably average 12ppg in that case. Pau would still be better off the bench, as that unit really needs buckets with Anderson being bad and Simmons being inconsistent.
    I think both Tony and Manu can still run the PnR fairly effectively. I just don't think that's how we want our offense to run, at least in the starting lineup. I suppose Pop feels our advantage is in ISOs and postups, and running and shooting from the bench.

I do wonder if Pop tries to make a move. On one hand, it would be from a position of short-sighted weakness, but on the other hand, if anything is true about the LMA rumors, then it seems like they either have to make the move for a guard or move on from him. There's no point in pissing away one of these last two years.
    Could be wrong, but I don't think LMA is going anywhere... realistically, Pop will give you a season or two before completely giving up on talent like that... he did with RJ, and realistically LMA has been a lot better than RJ...

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thread le is misworded. It should read, "This team's second option lacks consistency."

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thread le is misworded. It should read, "This team's second option lacks consistency."
    You're absolutely right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks that the post-Duncan era starts with Gasol and Aldridge coming into the season with the at ude that they'll just play their way into shape.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks that the post-Duncan era starts with Gasol and Aldridge coming into the season with the at ude that they'll just play their way into shape.
    Hunger is one of a tool to have when going for a le. Kawhi has it, not sure Gasol/Aldridge do. I fee like Aldridge's personality is more of a Carmelo Anthony type in that he just wants to be the top dog but winning a le isn't at the top of his list. He's good with making good money and just taking most of the shots. Gasol has already won les, this is just a chance to play for the Spurs.

Duncan always had it, even with one knee you could during the OKC series he wanted so badly to play well in that game 6. No matter the type of season the Spurs had he always looked the most upset when the Spurs got eliminated. I know Gasol just got here and Aldridge has only been here one season but I never saw that fire from Aldridge last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hunger is one of a tool to have when going for a le. Kawhi has it, not sure Gasol/Aldridge do. I fee like Aldridge's personality is more of a Carmelo Anthony type in that he just wants to be the top dog but winning a le isn't at the top of his list. He's good with making good money and just taking most of the shots. Gasol has already won les, this is just a chance to play for the Spurs.

Duncan always had it, even with one knee you could during the OKC series he wanted so badly to play well in that game 6. No matter the type of season the Spurs had he always looked the most upset when the Spurs got eliminated. I know Gasol just got here and Aldridge has only been here one season but I never saw that fire from Aldridge last year.
    At least I have some confidence that Gasol knows that he has to ratchet it up a notch for the postseason. At his age he might be pacing himself, and I'm okay with that.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    6'6" Gaymond is a BIG?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Hunger is one of a tool to have when going for a le. Kawhi has it, not sure Gasol/Aldridge do. I fee like Aldridge's personality is more of a Carmelo Anthony type in that he just wants to be the top dog but winning a le isn't at the top of his list. He's good with making good money and just taking most of the shots.
    Carmelo actually enjoys playing the game, Softridge is talented but doesn't have a passion for the game similar to Joe Johnson.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Nah, they lack the same thing they have for 2+ seasons and that's a lead play maker. It's primarily why they've been terrible versus elite teams and haven't been legit contenders since then.

Still, some of this has to fall on Leonard. He's been their clear best player from '15 on and he's played poorly in too many of these games.
    You're acting like Kawhi disappear like 2011 Finals LeBron in the past two postseason.

In 2015, Doc loaded up on him after Gm 3 & his teammates couldn't make an outside shot (see LeBron vs. Celtics, 2010)

Against OKC, he played Durant even until Gm 6 which got out of hand when Kawhi went to the bench & he outplayed WestBrick for the duration of the series.

Having more than one non-shooter especially guards/wings (Porker/Fat Head) are a terrible fit for point-forwards which is why LeBron shot 39% against the same Thibs defense Doc implements against Kawhi when Shumpert/Mozgov/Tristan were starting against the Bulls in the 2015 postseason. Durant left WestBrick/Roberson b/c he was tired of teams ignoring them to load up on him when he was isolating.

There is a reason GM LeBron agreed to take a chance on JR Smith who has made more 3s than anyone in HISTORY before turning 30 & didn't hesitate to ship out Wiggins for Love whom he forced into a Ryan Anderson role just like he forced Bosh into a Robert Horry role. He saw in the 2011 Finals that teams will load up by completely ignoring non-shooters which is when he forced Battier into playing PF & fell in love w/ Mike Miller.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The offense should go through LMA more often. I hate to reward a guy that doesnt hustle and do enough of the dirty work, Im much more of a Kawhi fan in that regard, but if we dont utilize LMA enough were not going to get the benefits of him and he is a good scorer. Post him up more and have him drive and score or drive and kick or just get to the free throw line. Hes a big man that can shoot free throws but doesnt get to the line! Huh?

Its Kawhis team but LMA should take charge more. Battle for position down low and demand the ball and make a decisive move.
    I think, this.

He's going Shaqmarcus Fatdridge on the Spurs. But in any case, he needs to have a more consistent offensive role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're acting like Kawhi disappear like 2011 Finals LeBron in the past two postseason.

In 2015, Doc loaded up on him after Gm 3 & his teammates couldn't make an outside shot (see LeBron vs. Celtics, 2010)

Against OKC, he played Durant even until Gm 6 which got out of hand when Kawhi went to the bench & he outplayed WestBrick for the duration of the series.

Having more than one non-shooter especially guards/wings (Porker/Fat Head) are a terrible fit for point-forwards which is why LeBron shot 39% against the same Thibs defense Doc implements against Kawhi when Shumpert/Mozgov/Tristan were starting against the Bulls in the 2015 postseason. Durant left WestBrick/Roberson b/c he was tired of teams ignoring them to load up on him when he was isolating.

There is a reason GM LeBron agreed to take a chance on JR Smith who has made more 3s than anyone in HISTORY before turning 30 & didn't hesitate to ship out Wiggins for Love whom he forced into a Ryan Anderson role just like he forced Bosh into a Robert Horry role. He saw in the 2011 Finals that teams will load up by completely ignoring non-shooters which is when he forced Battier into playing PF & fell in love w/ Mike Miller.
    This is spot on. You can't have a predominantly iso offense with 2 non shooters on the floor. You can barely scrape it with one, but two are too much. Spurs are going to play the same type of offense because this is the personnel and they'll win a lot of games again, but against the better teams this wouldn't work in a 7 game series. Even Jordan needed a lot of shooters around him and Kawhi's far from that level.

Luckily the Spurs have Danny and Patty who could theoretically fit perfectly what would be needed from the backcourt - they don't need great talent there, but a good fit. A wing 3 and D player who can spare Kawhi from time to time and a sharp shooting PG is exactly what they'd need. How the bench would work, whether Parker could accept such a role and so on, is what Pop needs to figure out during the season, because the way the team is constructed significant trades are nearly impossible this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are many factors on why the team has stuggled to start the season. Not having your starting backcourt doesn't help, the brutal traveling schedule, and fitting in other pieces that are new to the team and playing with line ups we won't ever see when it matters..bottom line we've seen the ceiling and floor of this team in 7 games.

The Spurs 3rd best offensive player IMO is Pau and it's really not close...but instead of making him an offensive focal point he's getting his looks as they come. He's done great shooting the ball but Spurs really could use a boost from his play in the
    post..he can draw fouls and double teams and the more he's involved on offense the better he is on defense.

Thread Information