My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, I love Sean Elliott. He was a damn good player and good guy.

Was just wondering...had he not hit the Memorial Day Miracle, how would he be thought of in the Spurs' pantheon?
    How important was that one shot to his legacy and career?

Obviously, he was an All-Star talent but I think the first associate with his name is the mystique of that huge shot on the way to the Spurs' first le.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where does Sean Elliott get his cakes again? I need to know in case I ever move back to Texas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where does Sean Elliott get his cakes again? I need to know in case I ever move back to Texas
    What? Is that what caused his kidney thing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean was a hugely popular player well before that shot. He would still be remembered fondly without the MDM.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Third best SF in franchise history only behind Gervin and Bowen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean was a hugely popular player well before that shot. He would still be remembered fondly without the MDM.
    I know Dingle Barry. I'm not saying he wouldn't be still well respected. He was one of my favorite players. But every time I hear his name, the MDM is right there with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe raped him in 2001 tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TOP SHELF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might not have had his number retired, leading to them holding off on Avery and Bowen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

The guy is loved by San Antonio; not to the extent of DRob, but same idea.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forth best SF in franchise history only behind Gervin, Bowen and Donald Royal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean was a really good player before he had his kidney operated. I'd rank Sean higher than Bruce.

Sean had more offensive responsibility than Bruce ever did and performed at an All-Star level. He did that while defending the best perimeter player night in and night out.

T-a-c-o C-a-b-a-n-a
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 11-11-2016 at 04:35 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, I love Sean Elliott. He was a damn good player and good guy.

Was just wondering...had he not hit the Memorial Day Miracle, how would he be thought of in the Spurs' pantheon?
    How important was that one shot to his legacy and career?

Obviously, he was an All-Star talent but I think the first associate with his name is the mystique of that huge shot on the way to the Spurs' first le.
    Sean Elliott was college player of the year in 1989. 1989 Wooden Award winner, 1989 AP Player of the Year

The only other Spurs to do that are David Robinson and Tim Duncan. (Okay, Walter "The Truth" Berry, also).

He didn't need to hit any particular shot to be remembered as a great player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 time all star. Fantastic defender. Pretty good all around player.

One of the more underrated Spurs of all time. Was their greatest until Leonard came along.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love him. Such an amicable person, at least seemingly from his broadcasts and days as a player. Would be something to know him on a personal level I would imagine. His grin is just amusing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sean Elliott was college player of the year in 1989. 1989 Wooden Award winner, 1989 AP Player of the Year

The only other Spurs to do that are David Robinson and Tim Duncan. (Okay, Walter "The Truth" Berry, also).

He didn't need to hit any particular shot to be remembered as a great player.
    I'm not sure anyone gets the point. He was a great player. But I doubt that many outside of Spurs fans would remember it. And many Spurs fans that weren't around then surely wouldn't. They'd just know him as some good player that used to be on the Spurs. No matter how great he was, you can't diminish the impact of him hitting the biggest shot in Spurs history at the time. Maybe ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know Dingle Barry. I'm not saying he wouldn't be still well respected. He was one of my favorite players. But every time I hear his name, the MDM is right there with it.
    These speculation threads that require revisionist history are pointless. Without Allen's last second 3 Lebron would be remembered differently. It's all different if you change the events leading up to it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These speculation threads that require revisionist history are pointless. Without Allen's last second 3 Lebron would be remembered differently. It's all different if you change the events leading up to it.
    Shut the up. What if's are one of the most common themes in sports discussion. And it's not like I'm asking about pairing Tony with George Mikan. Or Pistol Pete with Dennis Rodman.

And for that matter, it's not even revisionist. Here...I'll ask a different way since you're re ed.

How important to Sean Elliott's legacy was the MDM shot?

How's that peckerhead.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cept I'm serious. Homemade cake made by a pro; can't beat that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. That shot doesn't define his career. He also had one of the top 10 best in game dunks in Spurs history. It's as if his elbow was up to the rim and he wasn't gonna come down. I'm sure it's on youtube. This was pre-kidney loss

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe raped him in 2001 tbh
    I had to look that up as I thought I remembered '99/'00 as his last season. I don't remember him playing in 2001. Was he injured throughout the 2000/2001 season? I saw that he didn't start any games in 2001 playoffs? Who started at SF?

And obviously Sean wasn't in great shape to guard Kobe in 2001, but he did a pretty good job on him in the 1999 playoffs. He guarded some monster players in that 1999 Championship run when he was in decent shape, and did a great job on all of them. I believe he guarded players such as KG, Kobe, Rasheed, Sprewell, Allan Houston to name a few.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a real shame his career was cut short because of his kidney problems. It would have been awesome to have had him on the team for the 2003 le, and who knows maybe he could have played until 2007? It's really nice to see him day in and day out at Spurs games, but damn when I see him I feel like such an unfinished business...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without the MDM the Spurs still easily win the 1999 le and Sean is still remembered as the Spurs legend who went out and busted his ass guarding Kobe, Rasheed, and Sprewell when he should have been getting dialysis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by ace3g; 08-16-2019 at 07:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice

Thread Information