Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can anyone explain why it has been customary for US Presidents to put their property in blind trusts, or why it's a good idea that US presidents (starting with Donald Trump) should no longer do so?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why is this happening?

is there an emo dimension I ignored? is it somehow cheering or comforting to see a rich man use the country as his personal plaything during your own lifetime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why is this happening?

is there an emo dimension I ignored? is it somehow cheering or comforting to see a rich man use the country as his personal plaything during your own lifetime?
    As long as it's not Hillary, there's a good portion of the population that don't particularly give a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the intense public interest in political corruption apparently went to sleep on November 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what it might consist of now is speculative. apparently it doesn't register brazen self-enrichment as a possible conflict of interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all corruption. Trump just has enough lifelong elitist at ude about him that he'll do it openly. The Clintons did it more covertly but they all do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the intense public interest in political corruption apparently went to sleep on November 9.
    With half the nation, and obviously woke up with the other half.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. You are so ing stupid that you aren't able to formulate a single ing thought on your own. You are the very embodiment of what is wrong with this country.
    So you moved up from loves to pilot. Congrats a whole different level of s to suck for meth money. WTG.
    and, holy , actually learn what ing words mean before throwing them out in some bull insecure rant
    Lol. What? He's a got piece of poser. He's a scared little boy afraid of the world around him. Kind of like the people that are brainwashed by the gun lobby. They are incapable of thinking for themselves, and actually doing simple research to understand no one will take their ing guns. So they up forums justifying shooting children.

A piece of like that, well you, should do the honorable thing and just stop existing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With half the nation, and obviously woke up with the other half.
    yep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's all corruption. Trump just has enough lifelong elitist at ude about him that he'll do it openly. The Clintons did it more covertly but they all do it.
    I suppose I'm old-fashioned; I think that preserving the appearance of propriety is an actual check on corruption. A politician should decently hide his/her grafting.

A nod and a wink amounts to encouragement. The erosion of norms isn't consequence free: purely private interest swallowing the presidency is a bad precedent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    were you equally outraged in 2008 when obama did it?
    RG has checked out again. He's probably working on stage 3 or 4.

1. Denial and isolation
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Custom is stronger than legality. The destruction of political norms is momentous and not all for the good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's LYING

Trump Claims He’s Leaving His Company ‘In Total’ — But Doesn’t Provide Any Details

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...m_term=Reuters

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    He's holding a news conference about this on December 15th, and I'm sure we'll hear all the details then. But don't let that stop you and HuffBlow from freaking out because Trump isn't operating on your schedule.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's holding a news conference about this on December 15th, and I'm sure we'll hear all the details then. But don't let that stop you and HuffBlow from freaking out because Trump isn't operating on your schedule.
    Nothing to do about scheduling. Trash fully intends to enrich his bull empire by exploiting the Presidency.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump’s stock holdings may give him a personal stake in rules on banks and oil firms

President-elect Donald Trump has disclosed owning millions of dollars of stock in companies with business pending before the U.S. government and whose value could rise as a result of his policies.

Trump’s stock holdings, which are separate from the more high-profile real estate and branding empire that he has said he will separate from in some fashion, represent another area rife with potential conflicts of interest that Trump has yet to address as he prepares to take office.

Trump’s stock holdings, as of his most recent disclosure in May, included millions of dollars worth of shares in financial ins utions such as Goldman Sachs and Wells Fargo, which have seen their stock prices rise with his promises to roll back regulations imposed after the 2008 financial crash.

He has held substantial numbers of shares in Apple and a unit of Ford, companies whose executives he has spoken with since the election as part of his efforts to press corporations not to ship jobs overseas.

Trump’s portfolio also has been dotted with millions of dollars worth of shares in oil and other energy companies that could stand to gain if he follows through on promises to loosen environmental regulations and pursue more drilling — including Halliburton, ExxonMobil, Occidental Petroleum and Phillips 66.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.d294effede0c

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No we won't.

He is going to blather on about how good his hotel is, and he won't do anything but continue to directly profit from being president.

That you think otherwise is shockingly niave.

The wit hasn't provided any details about how he would do anything, never released his tax returns, and now is going to be all serious about providing details on how he is going to solve his conflict of interest problem?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RG has checked out again. He's probably working on stage 3 or 4.

1. Denial and isolation
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance
    Or maybe I was on a business trip, and have been more than a little busy. nah.

Keep going with whatever "feels" truthy to you, it is a post-fact world where such things don't matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let's get back to do enting this, shall we?

Let's start with the Hotel in Washington.
    The Trump Organization’s contract with the General Services Administration prohibits any elected official of the United States government from being part of the lease or deriving any benefit from it.

Unless the agency ends its lease before the president-elect takes office, Mr. Trump will, in effect, be both the landlord and tenant of the building, according to two government procurement experts, Steven L. Schooner and Daniel I. Gordon.
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ests.html?_r=0

The lease with the GSA, states that no federal employee can be enriched. Trump appoints the head of the GSA.

Further Trump can direct that federal employees stay at his hotel, and charge them whatever he wishes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deutsche Bank, Germany’s largest bank, is in negotiations with the Justice Department to settle claims over its handling of mortgage-backed securities before the 2008 financial crisis.

Questions remain about the bank’s ability to pay a large penalty. The Justice Department’s opening bid was $14 billion.

If the negotiations are not settled by Jan. 20, Mr. Trump will oversee a department that has the potential to make or break the bottom line of one of his biggest lenders.
    Next up, how he will handle federal sanctions on one of his largest lenders, as I have noted before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The head of the Internal Revenue Service is nominated by the president for a five-year term. Republicans have tried to impeach the current commissioner, John A. Koskinen, whose term ends on Nov. 12, 2017. Mr. Koskinen could resign or be impeached before then, clearing the way for Mr. Trump to nominate a new commissioner.
    Next up is that Trump gets to appoint the IRS commissioner while being under audit. Awfully convenient, that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The National Labor Relations Board is an independent federal agency responsible for enforcing labor laws and safeguarding employees’ right to organize.

The five members Mr. Trump appoints will be in charge of investigating complaints brought by workers, which could include those at his hotels and other properties.

In fact, a week before the election, the board ruled against the Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, which Mr. Trump co-owns, for refusing to negotiate with a new culinary workers union.
    Here is a sweet way to make all those labor violations at his various properties go away.

He can steal from his workers without worry about regulatory consequences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At a minimum, ethics experts warn, Mr. Trump’s holdings around the globe could give the appearance of tainting his decisions on various foreign issues.

In addition, they could also open him up to accusations that he has violated a part of the Cons ution known as the emoluments clause, which prohibits government officials from taking payments or gifts from a foreign government or en y.

“Unless he divests ownership, he will have an interest in the foreign government payments and benefits that flow to his business daily,” said Norm Eisen and Richard Painter, former chief White House ethics lawyers for President Obama and former President George W. Bush, respectively, in a statement on Democracy 21, a group that pushes for government transparency.
    Business dealings in dozens of countries.

Tell me that they won't be buying influence by smoothing things out. Go on.

Several of them have already pretty much done so. This is what hold the potential to get him impeached.

Have you googled emolument yet?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What nuthin?

Four solid conflicts of interest, and those are just the big ones.

Should I go on about the call with the Argentinian president?

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Trickle down baby! What's good for Trump is good for AMERICA!

Thread Information