Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will guess that no blind trust will materialize.

So now we will have the spectacle of foreign governments directly doing business with the president of the united states in a pay for play model that will make the Clinton Foundation look like amateur hour.

---------------------
    Conflicts of interest
    Dynasty

The incoming administration has an inbuilt problem

DURING the presidential campaign there was much discussion about how the norms that govern American democracy were being ignored or rewritten. Those discussions have not stopped since Donald Trump became president-elect. His decision to put three of his children and one of their spouses on his presidential transition team, and the story, later denied, that he sought top-secret security clearances for them, has provoked concerns about what the roles of the president’s children and their spouses will be once Mr Trump takes office.

His mixing of public and private endeavours looks like a reversion to the way conflicts of interest worked at the presidential level before civil-service reform in the 20th century. Before then presidents frequently dabbled in business on the side. There are few laws governing what a president must do to manage such conflicts, but from the mid-century presidency of Dwight Eisenhower onwards most presidents have placed their assets in blind trusts. So far Mr Trump has declined to do any such thing.

The worry is not so much that Mr Trump’s children will be running his businesses while he is in the White House, or that Trump companies will find ways to profit from their association with the president—though both of those things could well happen. Ivanka Trump gave a small demonstration of what this will look like when her jewellery company used her appearance in the first televised interview with her father after the election to sell copies of the bracelet she wore.

Mr Trump’s companies do not have the market share or political importance that, say, Silvio Berlusconi’s television empire had when he came to power in Italy. Nor is America about to go the way of Ukraine, where oligarchs-turned-politicians manipulate laws to favour their companies.

Instead, one concern should be that people will conclude that doing business with Trump companies is a good way to buy influence, or at least the appearance of it—exactly the problem that dogged the Clinton Foundation and which Mr Trump denounced as crooked. A second concern is that Mr Trump depends heavily on his children for advice. When it comes to running the country, as opposed to a presidential campaign, they are not well-qualified to give it. Americans should be more worried about competence than nepotism.

From the print edition: United States

http://www.economist.com/news/united...roblem-dynasty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll go ahead and subscribe this, so it can be updated as the hits roll in.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    RandomCry with another baby fit.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the biggest Clinton supporter on the board starts a watch thread to see if Trump becomes as corrupt as the Clintons

The next four years are going to be fun on here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RandomCry with another baby fit.
    George W. Bush lawyer: Trump could violate Cons ution on first day in office

The Cons ution’s “Emoluments Clause” provides that “no person holding any office of profit or trust under” the United States “shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or le, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.”

The diplomats’ efforts in seek[ing] Trump’s favor by staying in his hotel “looks like a gift,” ... thus is the very kind of favor the Cons ution seeks to prevent.

Basically, that part of the Cons ution exists so other countries can’t buy influence with the U.S. government. Since the diplomats would be staying in the hotel to win favor with Trump, it’s not legal. About 100 diplomats gathered at the hotel this week “to sip Trump-branded champagne, dine on sliders and hear a sales pitch about the U.S. president-elect’s newest hotel” according to The Washington Post.

In interviews with a dozen diplomats, many of whom declined to be named because they were not authorized to speak about anything related to the next U.S. president, some said spending money at Trump’s hotel is an easy, friendly gesture to the new president.

“Why wouldn’t I stay at his hotel blocks from the White House, so I can tell the new president, ‘I love your new hotel!’ Isn’t it rude to come to his city and say, ‘I am staying at your compe or?’ ” said one Asian diplomat.
    http://fusion.net/story/371332/georg...-cons ution/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the biggest Clinton supporter on the board starts a watch thread to see if Trump becomes as corrupt as the Clintons

Wheee.

Corrupt and the darling of neo-nazis. What a -show, indeed.

Trump is everything you hated about Clinton and more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Conflict of interest? Donald Trump meeting with Indian businessmen raises questions
    Sagar Chordia, Atul Chordia, and Kalpesh Mehta are building a Trump-branded luxury apartment in south Mumbai

President-elect Donald Trump last week met three Indian real-estate investors who are constructing a luxury apartment complex in South Mumbai under the Trump brand. The meeting took place at Trump Towers in Manhattan, New York. He took time out from planning his transition to the Oval office to meet with the businessmen. A spokeswoman for Trump said it was a routine courtesy call and the three flew from India to congratulate Trump on his victory. “It was not a formal meeting of any kind,” Breanna Butler, a spokeswoman for the Trump Organization, told Washington Post.

The Economic Times, however, quoted the businessmen as saying they had discussed about expanding operations under the Trump brand. The report also stated that Washington ethics lawyer said Trump’s meeting with Indian businessmen raised conflict of interest.
    http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ctory-4385427/

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    George W. Bush lawyer: Trump could violate Cons ution on first day in office

http://fusion.net/story/371332/georg...-cons ution/
    Did this lawyer also have a problem with the Patriot Act and Dubya's oil wars abroad, or does his ire only extend to presidents who oppose the neocon agenda?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No le of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or le, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
    http://www.heritage.org/cons ution...luments-clause

e·mol·u·ment
    iˈmälyəmənt/Submit
    nounformal
    a salary, fee, or profit from employment or office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did this lawyer also have a problem with the Patriot Act and Dubya's oil wars abroad, or does his ire only extend to presidents who oppose the neocon agenda?
    Red Herring

Ignoratio elenchi

(also known as: beside the point, misdirection [form of], changing the subject, false emphasis, the Chewbacca defense, irrelevant conclusion, irrelevant thesis, smokescreen, clouding the issue, ignorance of refutation, judgmental language [form of])

Description: Attempting to redirect the argument to another issue that to which the person doing the redirecting can better respond. While it is similar to the avoiding the issue fallacy, the red herring is a deliberate diversion of attention with the intention of trying to abandon the original argument.
    https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...50/Red-Herring

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Congrats, you can blurt out the names of logical fallacies like an autist. That doesn't answer my question, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congrats, you can blurt out the names of logical fallacies like an autist. That doesn't answer my question, though.
    I don't know the answer to your question. How do you feel it is relevant to Trumps conflict of interest problems?

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I don't know the answer to your question. How do you feel it is relevant to Trumps conflict of interest problems?
    Because waving around hypotheticals from DUBYA'S cons itutional lawyer like it's iron-clad evidence of corruption is re ed. Especially if this lawyer didn't say about his former boss' far worse actual violations of the Cons ution.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wheee.

Corrupt and the darling of neo-nazis. What a -show, indeed.

Trump is everything you hated about Clinton and more.
    The big difference between Trump and Clinton is that Trump is causing you to lose your ...that alone make's it worth the any trade off.

This is just the early stages of RG's meltdown... 's gonna get good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because waving around hypotheticals from DUBYA'S cons itutional lawyer like it's iron-clad evidence of corruption is re ed. Especially if this lawyer didn't say about his former boss' far worse actual violations of the Cons ution.
    So you don't know how it is relevant to Trump's conflict of interest problem. Got it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big difference between Trump and Clinton is that Trump is causing you to lose your ...that alone make's it worth the any trade off.

This is just the early stages of RG's meltdown... 's gonna get good
    Nah. I will leave the meltdowns to the conservatives trying to bend themselves in knots defending this. It will be fun to watch.

Do you think the sitting president should be working personal deals to develop real estate in India?

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Nah. I will leave the meltdowns to the conservatives trying to bend themselves in knots defending this. It will be fun to watch.

Do you think the sitting president should be working personal deals to develop real estate in India?
    There's nothing for us to defend. Nothing's happened yet. He's also not the sitting president yet. You are the one losing your mind based on the empty words of some neocon lawyer who hates Trump.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not the sitting President

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad you're exposing the greed and corruption from someone who can misuse and abuse their power for financial gain. I'm sure you started a similar one for Hillary. Can you link me to it? I'd expect it to be up over a hundred pages by now.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Looking forward to see a president do his job without a cabinet picked by citi bank, tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking forward to see a president do his job without a cabinet picked by citi bank, tbh
    Trash is, will be 100% aligned with Wall St and the Repug political establishment. no conflict at all.

eg, Trash has already caved on "won't touch Medicare" to go along with RyanCare.

Trash plans to deregiulate BigFinance, kill CFPB, defund/neuter SEC, stuff FCC with BigNetwork shills, etc, etc.

You low-edu, low-info, low-wage, conned white boys ain't gonna get from Trash

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash is, will be 100% aligned with Wall St and the Repug political establishment. no conflict at all.

eg, Trash has already caved on "won't touch Medicare" to go along with RyanCare.

Trash plans to deregiulate BigFinance, kill CFPB, defund/neuter SEC, stuff FCC with BigNetwork shills, etc, etc.

You low-edu, low-info, low-wage, conned white boys ain't gonna get from Trash

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm thinking of deferring income to next year just in case.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    tl;dr

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe. Maybe not. I'm thinking of deferring income to next year just in case.
    absolutely no maybe about it. Don The Con is 100% Repug/BigFinance establishment in policies, MISgovernance, anti-99% / pro-1%.

His tax plan enriches his family by about $4B

Thread Information