Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they try to match what Philly is going to throw at Patty (likely 12-14 millions, and even more, given the Brett Brown connection and considering their last failed attempt at poaching Manu ), we might as well give up on our front office...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they try to match what Philly is going to throw at Patty (likely 12-14 millions, and even more, given the Brett Brown connection and considering their last failed attempt at poaching Manu ), we might as well give up on our front office...
    Yeah, I'd already prefer Hill, but if the 76ers do something stupid, Mills isn't willing to take much or any less and the financial gap isn't all that big, then it becomes even more of a no brainer.

In the unlikely event neither ends up a Spur (Mills is obviously more likely), then it's probably a near lock Williams does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most likely scenario is that next year is a true bridge year to a flexible 2018. Play Murray, take fliers on cheap guards and live with the year being a learning year. See how LMA does and what to do with him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most likely scenario is that next year is a true bridge year to a flexible 2018. Play Murray, take fliers on cheap guards and live with the year being a learning year. See how LMA does and what to do with him.
    All this talk of flexibility in '18, is nonsense . . .

- 1 a) The '18 free agent class is weak. The best outside UFA's or potential ones: Bradley, Thomas, B. Lopez, Wade, James (p/o), Barton, W. Chandler (p/o), Ariza, L. Williams, Ellis (p/o), George (p/o), T. Young (p/o), Jordan (p/o), Rivers (p/o), Cousins, Anthony (ETO), Kanter (p/o), Westbrook (p/o), Joseph (p/o), Favors, J. Johnson.

- 1 b) James and George obviously aren't attainable and Westbrook is an extreme long shot at the very least, so who's the guy they supposedly need to waste a prime year of a top 2-3 player and a top 2-3 team for: Thomas or Cousins? For different reasons, neither is happening. Paul isn't either, but theoretically speaking, I'd rather max him out than any player on this list not named James.

- 2) It's obviously extremely difficult to lure significant free agents and they're not a prime destination . . . don't be fooled by Aldridge and Gasol; those were marriages of convenience.

- 3) Let's say Mills is re-signed; if the league values him as much as many think, then they should have no trouble salary dumping him at some point should something significant present itself.

- 4) There's a possibility that three (Mills or maybe Hill, Simmons, big via the MLE) significant long term contracts will be added this summer and barring significant injury, Aldridge and Green will opt out and get raises in '18, so in all likelihood there won't be nearly as much flexibility as many think anyway.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They threw mad money at Manu. You know if Patty stays a Spur, he left a ton of money on the table.
    Do NOT leave a ton of money on the table Patty, take it all mate.

I don't look forward to hearing from you soon...

Enthusiastically,

TheDoctor

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do NOT leave a ton of money on the table Patty, take it all mate.

I don't look forward to hearing from you soon...

Enthusiastically,

TheDoctor
    Does he know how many kangaroos can be rescued with those hundreds of thousands he'd give up a year?!?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does he know how many kangaroos can be rescued with those hundreds of thousands he'd give up a year?!?!
    LMAO

Best Patty's playoffs performance impersonification:

Yup, dropped Paddy dropped so far that even dropped from dabom 's avatar

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO

There's spiderwebs all over my "Start Patty Mills krew : lmao" thread

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO

I had Kawhi before Patty. So does that mean Patty is gonna be a superstar?

It's Murray time. Always setting trends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never understood the infatuation with this undersized chucking SG, the dude has been trash more often than not.
    i like him, but he's replaceable. he was gary neal 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills is not worth the gigantic contract that Brett Brown and the 76era will offer him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he was 4 inches taller than I'd want the spurs to resign him. he's got the heart of a champion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he was 4 inches taller than I'd want the spurs to resign him. he's got the heart of a champion
    and the defensive skills of a traffic cone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this talk of flexibility in '18, is nonsense . . .

- 1 a) The '18 free agent class is weak. The best outside UFA's or potential ones: Bradley, Thomas, B. Lopez, Wade, James (p/o), Barton, W. Chandler (p/o), Ariza, L. Williams, Ellis (p/o), George (p/o), T. Young (p/o), Jordan (p/o), Rivers (p/o), Cousins, Anthony (ETO), Kanter (p/o), Westbrook (p/o), Joseph (p/o), Favors, J. Johnson.

- 1 b) James and George obviously aren't attainable and Westbrook is an extreme long shot at the very least, so who's the guy they supposedly need to waste a prime year of a top 2-3 player and a top 2-3 team for: Thomas or Cousins? For different reasons, neither is happening. Paul isn't either, but theoretically speaking, I'd rather max him out than any player on this list not named James.

- 2) It's obviously extremely difficult to lure significant free agents and they're not a prime destination . . . don't be fooled by Aldridge and Gasol; those were marriages of convenience.

- 3) Let's say Mills is re-signed; if the league values him as much as many think, then they should have no trouble salary dumping him at some point should something significant present itself.

- 4) There's a possibility that three (Mills or maybe Hill, Simmons, big via the MLE) significant long term contracts will be added this summer and barring significant injury, Aldridge and Green will opt out and get raises in '18, so in all likelihood there won't be nearly as much flexibility as many think anyway.
    It's not nonsense. It's the most realistic path to flexibility with Spurs being in a position of power. That does not mean they have to do anything in 2018, but they can. Its why it's called flexibility.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not nonsense. It's the most realistic path to flexibility with Spurs being in a position of power. That does not mean they have to do anything in 2018, but they can. Its why it's called flexibility.
    They kind of do, because it's the year before Kawhi's salary effectively doubles. That said, they have flexibility as you mention and don't have to do it via FA - can always trade for salary. Also, that FA class has some interesting guys in Bradley and Barton. Melo and George almost certainly opt out and lock up cap space for teams chasing them - heck, maybe Melo wants to ring chase with Pop and become Olympic Melo for 82 games plus playoffs.

People are making it out to be like 2018 is only going to offer options like Jeff Ayres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They kind of do, because it's the year before Kawhi's salary effectively doubles. That said, they have flexibility as you mention and don't have to do it via FA - can always trade for salary. Also, that FA class has some interesting guys in Bradley and Barton. Melo and George almost certainly opt out and lock up cap space for teams chasing them - heck, maybe Melo wants to ring chase with Pop and become Olympic Melo for 82 games plus playoffs.

People are making it out to be like 2018 is only going to offer options like Jeff Ayres.
    Hey, more respect. Jeff Ayres is an NBA Champion. Something that Sir Charles and Reggie Miller are not

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I alluded to, flexibility to do what though? Flexibility for the sake of it, is pointless; especially if they can get what they need a year in advance.

You can trade for salary, but nobody is salary dumping a game changing player. Bradley and Barton are interesting, but they're about the same caliber of player as Hill (albeit younger), so that's not a reason to wait a year. I can't imagine Anthony wanting to be a Spur or them wanting him to be one and he's rapidly declining and wouldn't fill a need anyway. George is Lakers bound in '18.

There's no reason to wait. If they can get a point guard upgrade now, they'll effectively have their core in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I alluded to, flexibility to do what though? Flexibility for the sake of it, is pointless; especially if they can get what they need a year in advance.

You can trade for salary, but nobody is salary dumping a game changing player. Bradley and Barton are interesting, but they're about the same caliber of player as Hill (albeit younger), so that's not a reason to wait a year. I can't imagine Anthony wanting to be a Spur or them wanting him to be one and he's rapidly declining and wouldn't fill a need anyway. George is Lakers bound in '18.

There's no reason to wait. If they can get a point guard upgrade now, they'll effectively have their core in place.
    I agree and if there is a player they believe to be a fit, that agrees to come to SA, they will make it happen. But that's different than not needing to do anything other than convince someone to sign with no other moves needed is all I'm saying.

It's the "likely" path because its the one that requires nothing from other teams to do something. Does not mean it's the only path.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forget paying Patty. This guy is an upgrade and can create... Pull the trigger RC

Frank Mason III (5'11, PG, Kansas, 23.2yo)

2016-2017 stats
    20.9ppg, 4.2rpg, 5.2apg, 1.3spg, 0.1bpg, 49.0FG%, 47.1 3P%, 25.5PER, .230 WS/48, 10.7BPM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, more respect. Jeff Ayres is an NBA Champion. Something that Sir Charles and Reggie Miller are not
    Even KD got one. Javale, ZaZa, west, These things being handed out like frisbee in a show bag tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would rather have Belinelli back than Patty at this point. Maybe why I'm not GM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pay him a fond farewell?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs just need more dynamic players on both ends. Patty, to his credit, is an amazing shooter and had probably his best defensive year (even though he's still bad there unless he's on bigger players which is surprising).

But he has to be assisted on everything (which is ok, teams all have guys like that), cannot finish in traffic very well and certainly is not a PG in terms of running an offense.

Just need to have more versatility on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the looks of Fultz going to the 76ers that probably takes them out of the running to pay/need Patty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs just need more dynamic players on both ends. Patty, to his credit, is an amazing shooter and had probably his best defensive year (even though he's still bad there unless he's on bigger players which is surprising).

But he has to be assisted on everything (which is ok, teams all have guys like that), cannot finish in traffic very well and certainly is not a PG in terms of running an offense.

Just need to have more versatility on this team.

Yep need players in the mold of Kawhi and Iggy.

Thread Information