Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like watching Patty and the energy he brings, much like Manu. The Spurs 2nd unit is really one of the only reasons to watch the team outside of Kawhi's defense. LMA is boring, good but boring and Pau is like the poster child for boring. When that dull starting unit leaves and that up tempo second unit hits the floor, then it's fun to watch, so I don't care if they pay Patty 15m per, it's not coming out of my pocket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be hard to watch if the Spurs had to let Patty and Dedmon go (who both can command $12-15 million) because Gasol and Parker are sitting on $31 million in cap space.

Once Patty and Manu leave, the entire bench is going to .
    It's a common occurrence in the NBA that less effective vets make more than the impact players who are in their primes, because of what they did in the past to justify the money. Tony did a lot for the Spurs for many years and Pop isn't going to shelve him just because he slowed and became less effective. See Bonner as an example of Pop's dogged loyalty to system guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I maintain that he probably re-signs and does so for less than many think (4/$40M?).

I'd be surprised if anyone views him as a starter. He's too limited a play maker and too small to be a 3 and D type and Bayless and Dellavedova are bad examples . . .

Bayless: 76ers had an insane amount of cap space and a terrible rep from being historically bad and not signing legit NBA players for 3 years.

Dellavedova: As a 3 and D type, he's an ideal compliment to a point forward such as Antetokounmpo.

Unfortunately, Dedmon is probably gone due to his lack of bird rights. Simmons is probably slightly more likely to be gone, as any somewhat expensive offer sheet probably pries him loose. Partially because of the presence of Murray, but also because the combination of him and Anderson isn't going to cut it as 3rd and 4th wings.
    I believe the Spurs will find a way to keep Patty. It seems to me that the team has virtually groomed Patty to be the vocal leader of the team. (Otherwise, who will be?) I also believe that Patty likes it here. I think he might be willing to give a little bit of a discount if the Spurs will give a long-term deal. So much depends on how much emphasis he places on starting AND on how quickly Dijon develops.

As for Deadman, the situation with the "bigs" is so fluid, who can tell whether the team will be able to keep him. Will LMA be traded? Will Pau and Lee opt in? My crystal ball just isn't clear enough to see who the "bigs" will be next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    patty is averaging more points than tony on less shots and is shooting the ball better. he should be playing more minutes than tp and his FGA should be higher than tony's too.
    How is his running of an actual offense vs starting caliber defenses and how is his defense against starting caliber PG's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Patty and I'm fine with him being paid, but he's not a starting caliber PG. We've seen in the playoffs when he's been asked to actually run an offense with high pressure he can't even handle the ball against NBA level defense. He gets bullied and pressed because no one even respects his handle.

He's made it pretty clear he wants to start so SA would have to come pretty damn close to any offer he gets because he's not going to start here most likely.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't see patty leaving the spurs or the team giving up on him. He's one the best instant scorers/shooters out there who fits in perfectly with what the Spurs are trying to do.

He should get paid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu is getting 14 patty will want more
    Even if Manu retires spurs need to pay Demond and let patty walk
    They will have to get a guy that can make threes though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will not promise patty will start they might say he can earn it and keep it

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty will get paid if we can't get CP3. Ideally we would go into next year with CP3/Parker/Murray

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty will get paid if we can't get CP3. Ideally we would go into next year with CP3/Mills/Murray

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs letting Mills walk so they can save money to give Parker a $20 million a year send off

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No thanks. Have fun in Philly!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love him, but let another team overpay him, tbh..Otherwise, yall gonna lament Porker still going Enrique in 2022...This team needs another starting Point Guard who is worth a when his shot isn't falling..

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    I maintain that he probably re-signs and does so for less than many think (4/$40M?).

I'd be surprised if anyone views him as a starter. He's too limited a play maker and too small to be a 3 and D type and Bayless and Dellavedova are bad examples
    Kings would take him in a heart beat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu wrote an article on New Years' eve about Lapro getting cut and mentioning that the coaching staff had him more as insurance if Murray didn't make progress, but he also said that the coaching staff is high on Murray (and that is apparent after his last few stints). Just made me think the Spurs might actually be preparing to part ways with Patty if he gets a ridiculous offer.

I won't have a full size keyboard or the time to translate until the end of the week, but I thought it was interesting, so I figured I'll bring it up.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu wrote an article on New Years' eve about Lapro getting cut and mentioning that the coaching staff had him more as insurance if Murray didn't make progress, but he also said that the coaching staff is high on Murray (and that is apparent after his last few stints). Just made me think the Spurs might actually be preparing to part ways with Patty if he gets a ridiculous offer.

I won't have a full size keyboard or the time to translate until the end of the week, but I thought it was interesting, so I figured I'll bring it up.
    What if they're preparing to ditch porker?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if they're preparing to ditch porker?
    Parker is under contract and not going anywhere, IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks for sharing I'll dig it up...
    As an aside from this... glad to hear they are so high on Murray. It shows... kid has talent.
    Manu4tres might be right... he was advocating letting Patty go and going with Murray.
    Patty has also made those statements and it's easy for us to talk about someone giving discounts when it's not our money (and Patty hasn't gotten a big payday in comparison and this next contract he will be in his prime. He can't take those for granted. Dedmon and Simmons are the same). Anyways, it's going to be a FA market swing... the kind where they go into the market wanting to keep someone, but if offers are outrageous they let him go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, If I were Mills, I wouldn't take a pay cut. that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing I'll dig it up...
    As an aside from this... glad to hear they are so high on Murray. It shows... kid has talent.
    Manu4tres might be right... he was advocating letting Patty go and going with Murray.
    Patty has also made those statements and it's easy for us to talk about someone giving discounts when it's not our money (and Patty hasn't gotten a big payday in comparison and this next contract he will be in his prime. He can't take those for granted. Dedmon and Simmons are the same). Anyways, it's going to be a FA market swing... the kind where they go into the market wanting to keep someone, but if offers are outrageous they let him go.
    I'm fine with that and it's natural with the salary cap (and rebuilding) that SA would want to go cheaper and younger. However, Mills and Murray are two polar opposite players. So it's not like you would be swapping skillsets (just a point to make)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'd like to keep Dedmon too.

I am willing to let Simmons go.
    Of course

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with that and it's natural with the salary cap (and rebuilding) that SA would want to go cheaper and younger. However, Mills and Murray are two polar opposite players. So it's not like you would be swapping skillsets (just a point to make)
    They are different players. I just know Spurs have a lower defensive ceiling as a 2nd unit if Spurs go with Murray defending SGs instead of PGs. I hope Spurs are fully aware how much of an edge Murray would bring if they optimize Murrays' rare physical attributes defending the PG position. His elite length and size would give the Spurs an edge on defense that not many teams have. You have to put him in the position where he can maximize his effectiveness on both ends ( not just offense).

He needs to be the back up PG on both ends next year imo. Allocating 10-15% of the cap to Mills would not only be overpaying for a shooter ( who's a defensive liability), but it will impede Murrays overall progression/effectivess to his overall floor game on both ends.

Im

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah,
    I know and they can play together very well... I think at this point it's really about Patty himself and what offers he gets and wants to do. I think Spurs want him but probably not at any cost...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I probably agree overall. I'm just not sure if Murray will be ready offensively next year for a consistent role. He could be but it's not a given in my mind.

Doesn't change the overall point about paying Mills though. It is what it is and there are just too many variables at the moment regarding FA. There are situations where keeping Mills may make sense and many that don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Points scored by Mills in last 10 games: 13, 5, 11, 13, 3, 23, 2, 6, 6, 5

I am not paying big money for this type of wild inconsistency; Spurs can afford it with Green because he brings the D to the equation; otherwise Patty is virtually invisible and unplayable when the shot isn't there..

I assume if Brett Brown survives the season in Philly he will get an offer he wouldn't refuse...the Aussie connection with Ben Simmons/Brett should make it an obvious choice..

Thread Information