Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    That's an interesting way of looking at The Decision. I think most people would say HE ran otherwise why would the people of Ohio feel so betrayed? Because they wanted him gone?

I guess that is a millennial perspective. This is difficult. Hmmmm...I'll run away instead of dealing with it.
    Millennials aren't stupid enough to rot w/ one franchise if they aren't putting the right piece around them b/c it's a player league now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millennials aren't stupid enough to rot w/ one franchise if they aren't putting the right piece around them b/c it's a player league now.
    Exactly, LeBron left. He wasn't run off.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Exactly, LeBron left. He wasn't run off.
    Getting criticized while the media was riding Kirby's had a LOT to do w/ why he left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm... I hope he isn't maxing out his talent. He's improved year-on-year since he came here. I think he's not done. I also think he could be used better, but that's a whole other discussion. I know he would benefit from having at least one big man who actually plays in the paint.

My point is, it's pretty spectacular when he makes those crazy shots. But he would be so much better if he didn't have to make them so often. And I think that Pop featuring (forcing) him on offense this way keeps him from dominating on D the way he could be. That's also another whole discussion.

But I think if you're going to talk about a guy in terms of "greatest of his generation" it ought to be obvious that he is. I don't think Kawhi is there yet. That's no slight, I just don't think you can see him head and shoulders above his generation right now.
    A true, good PG would benefit Kawhi greatly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting criticized while the media was riding Kirby's had a LOT to do w/ why he left.
    Can we at least agree that Kawhi isn't a wet vagina like LeBron emotionally? He's not going to run away from the Spurs because he's not a fragile ass. Kawhi seems to have a healthy self concept and doesn't have the need for attention like LeBron.

Also, regardless of what you might think he's not under any pressure whatsoever playing in San Antonio. Why would he go to LA or another market where he'll obviously be under more pressure from the media. Makes absolutely no sense.

So this whole Kawhi isn't appreciated and he'll get run out of town argument is a reach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Kawhi has to be the best defender on the league and average 30 ppg"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A true, good PG would benefit Kawhi greatly.
    Parkers always been a scoring PG. True hes not scoring like he used to but hes never been a "true" PG in the sense of CP3 or Nash and weve won 4 les with him. Maybe 3 because he might have been hurt during one of them. But I think a passing guard can be a detriment sometimes in that the other players become complacent looking for the brilliant pass, weakening their skills. Team passing is the ultimate passing and in that sense TP is definitely good enough.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Can we at least agree that Kawhi isn't a wet vagina like LeBron emotionally? He's not going to run away from the Spurs because he's not a fragile ass. Kawhi seems to have a healthy self concept and doesn't have the need for attention like LeBron.

Also, regardless of what you might think he's not under any pressure whatsoever playing in San Antonio. Why would he go to LA or another market where he'll obviously be under more pressure from the media. Makes absolutely no sense.

So this whole Kawhi isn't appreciated and he'll get run out of town argument is a reach
    Tim almost left when his supporting cast was AARP Admiral. If PATFO oblige & let Porker play until he's 40 like Turnobili along w/ re-signing Softridge then Kawhi might start reconsidering his long term prospects.

Kawhi doesn't have to jump on a championship team's bandwagon or play in a big market, he could play w/ Anthony Davis in New Orleans or Towns in Minnesota & form a dynamic duo like LeBron did when he went to back to Cleveland. (Would be hilarious if Wiggins got traded for a 3rd wheel, again)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody said he's Jordan but name me another two-way wing-player 25 or under that's more comparable to '87-'88 Jordan.
    His offense is nowhere near what Jordan's was though. So you're pretty much just asking me to name a scoring wing who plays good defense.

Sidney Moncrief comes to mind if you want a better comparison for Kawhi. Kawhi's stats are much more comparable to his at 24-25 too than MJ. And neither were close to MJ tbh.

Kawhi's excellent, but comparing to MJ, we should probably stop that.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Kawhi is an alpha. DK got carried by Stern, Phil, MVPippen, and the most stacked rosters of his era.
    Do people fall for this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi's excellent, but comparing to MJ, we should probably stop that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=GSH;8838834][QUOTE=south side spur;8838818]There's a difference between appreciation and eroticism.

Oh, man. Truth nuke there. From someone with 180 posts even.

Looking at the stands most nights, they don't go to the games either.
    Its funny how you say that like having thousands of posts somehow gives a poster merit

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Sidney Moncrief comes to mind if you want a better comparison for Kawhi. Kawhi's stats are much more comparable to his at 24-25 too than MJ. And neither were close to MJ tbh.
    It was easier to score 1-on-1 in the 80s/90s b/c they were no zone defense & you couldn't double without the ball b/c of illegal defense. In any case, Kawhi per 100 possession is averaging 37ppg on 25 shots (PPS: 1.43) vs. '87-'88 Jordan's 43 on 30 shots (PPS: 1.43).

Moncrief was more of a combo guard like Joe Dumars rather than a wing-player, he would have ZERO chance of guarding LeBron.
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 12-27-2016 at 03:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=PopTheGOAT;8841095][QUOTE=GSH;8838834]
    There's a difference between appreciation and eroticism.
    Its funny how you say that like having thousands of posts somehow gives a poster merit

Is that what I meant? Thank you, Mister Helper, for telling me what I was thinking.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. There are plenty of people with thousands of posts who are absolutely brain-damaged. My point was that even a person who's only been around a short time can recognize and call out the blatant -gobblers.

Actually, the guy I was talking about is a consistently solid poster, from what I've seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was easier to score 1-on-1 in the 80s/90s b/c they were no zone defense & you couldn't double without the ball b/c of illegal defense. In any case, Kawhi per 100 possession is averaging 37ppg on 25 shots (PPS: 1.43) vs. '87-'88 Jordan's 43 on 30 shots (PPS: 1.43).

Moncrief was more of a combo guard like Joe Dumars rather than a wing-player, he would have ZERO chance of guarding LeBron.
    Scottie Pippen then, since you keep moving the goalposts. And if you bring up 3pt shooting, I'll just point out their eFG% being nearly identical using Pippen's seasons at 25-26 years old.

Ofc Pippen was a MUCH better playmaker and passer than Kawhi though, but there's a similarly-sized great defender for you who can also score and contribute on offense at a high level.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Scottie Pippen then, since you keep moving the goalposts. And if you bring up 3pt shooting, I'll just point out their eFG% being nearly identical using Pippen's seasons at 25-26 years old.

Ofc Pippen was a MUCH better playmaker and passer than Kawhi though, but there's a similarly-sized great defender for you who can also score and contribute on offense at a high level.
    Pippen isn't on the same level as Kawhi as far as scoring in the half-court which is what Jordan is known for & what Kawhi NOW basically does as well as any player in the league while Pippen was an open court player. (Pippen HIMSELF pointed that out in an interview, 22:16 mark: http://www.podcastone.com/the-big-po...FdgUgQod7zwC8A)

Iggy at 25 is more comparable to 25 yr old Pippen: http://bkref.com/tiny/6O1sx

If you are bent on not comparing Kawhi to Jordan then the next best (other than Durant/Bron) is Wade who was on his way to becoming Jordan 2.0 before he started breaking down at 25 (twice as many assists but twice as many turnovers & higher usage than Harden): http://bkref.com/tiny/oC96a
    Last edited by Kawhitstorm; 12-28-2016 at 02:28 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop comparing Kawhi to Jordan
    Theyre not even in the same atmosphere
    You right. Kawhi is a much better defender and rebounder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet he already is improving in season. He is starting to find the open man better than he was early in the year. Fewer bad shots and turnovers as he works through dealing with double teams.

He is fun as to watch.
    -----------------------------------------------

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Kawhi, but he shouldn't be in the same sentence with Jordan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He models his game on Jordan. His jab step and turnaround look like Jordan.

His technique on pull up and fade-aways off the dribble look like Kobe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Jordan didn't ring until his 7th year in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pippen isn't on the same level as Kawhi as far as scoring in the half-court which is what Jordan is known for & what Kawhi NOW basically does as well as any player in the league while Pippen was an open court player. (Pippen HIMSELF pointed that out in an interview, 22:16 mark: http://www.podcastone.com/the-big-po...FdgUgQod7zwC8A)

Iggy at 25 is more comparable to 25 yr old Pippen: http://bkref.com/tiny/6O1sx

If you are bent on not comparing Kawhi to Jordan then the next best (other than Durant/Bron) is Wade who was on his way to becoming Jordan 2.0 before he started breaking down at 25 (twice as many assists but twice as many turnovers & higher usage than Harden): http://bkref.com/tiny/oC96a
    And Kawhi isn't on the same level as Jordan.

Kawhi is much closer to Pippen than MJ. Leonard's more efficient (due to the team's style) while Pipp was the better playmaker. Ofc they're different players, but it's a good comparison for sure. Jordan on the other was better at everything offensively besides threes.

I mean you're comparing 24-25 year old Kawhi to people . .bro Jordan was averaging 35-37 PPG at 23-24 years old lol. And nearly double Kawhi's assists. So he was scoring 50% more and assisting 100% more. Getting twice as many blocks and 50% more steals. It's literally not close. At all.

I love Kawhi, but please dude. He's no Jordan and nor was Wade or Durant or Kobe either. I know newer NBA fans like to be hipsters and on NBA eras they didn't watch, but uh. . .yeah MJ is not a dude people prop up due to nostalgia. He was an unstoppable force that many, many people aspired to be like.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He models his game on Jordan. His jab step and turnaround look like Jordan.

His technique on pull up and fade-aways off the dribble look like Kobe.
    His offense is modeled after both of them. Kawhi has huge hands like Jordan too. Only a few wings can do a one hand'ed pump fake like both of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Kawhi isn't on the same level as Jordan.

Kawhi is much closer to Pippen than MJ. Leonard's more efficient (due to the team's style) while Pipp was the better playmaker. Ofc they're different players, but it's a good comparison for sure. Jordan on the other was better at everything offensively besides threes.

I mean you're comparing 24-25 year old Kawhi to people . .bro Jordan was averaging 35-37 PPG at 23-24 years old lol. And nearly double Kawhi's assists. So he was scoring 50% more and assisting 100% more. Getting twice as many blocks and 50% more steals. It's literally not close. At all.

I love Kawhi, but please dude. He's no Jordan and nor was Wade or Durant or Kobe either. I know newer NBA fans like to be hipsters and on NBA eras they didn't watch, but uh. . .yeah MJ is not a dude people prop up due to nostalgia. He was an unstoppable force that many, many people aspired to be like.
    They belong to different eras/systems/team mates so we should not even compare these guys because its impossible to have a fair discussion when they lived very different situations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan is widely considered to be the GOAT.

Kawhi is putting up numbers comparable to MJ at the same age.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems to be a thread of perspective: Kawhi Leonard has become a player that you can can compare to someone who's considered to be the GOAT when it comes to stats at the same age.

That's pretty ing impressive - and thread worthy.

Thread Information