Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    And yet :today's NBA player can't even break a 20 year old record set by a scrub in :yesterday's NBA.

Showing today's NBA players wilting under pressure and not being able to loosen up on something they were supposedly so much better than yesterday's NBA players.

today's NBA players can't even practice shooting off a rack properly.

today's NBA players are supposedly these super quick shooters who can't shoot 25 balls in a minute like yesterday's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amb

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    And yet :today's NBA player can't even break a 20 year old record set by a scrub in :yesterday's NBA.
    Hodges' old scoring record in any round has been surpassed three times in the last eight years, including each of the last two years. As for his consecutive shots record, Curry made 13 straight two years ago and we've seen five double-digit streaks in the last eight years. It's only a matter of time before that record gets broken, too.

Showing today's NBA players wilting under pressure and not being able to loosen up on something they were supposedly so much better than yesterday's NBA players.
    New records in any-round scoring and final-round scoring have been set in each of the last two years. So much for wilting under pressure.

Why would anyone spend a ton of time practicing for something they'll never need to do outside of a meaningless All-Star contest?

today's NBA players are supposedly these super quick shooters who can't shoot 25 balls in a minute like yesterday's NBA.
    Yesterday's NBA players are supposedly comparable to today's players in three-point shooting, but they needed the line shortened for them in the actual games to even get close to today's percentages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hodges' old scoring record in any round has been surpassed three times in the last eight years, including each of the last two years. As for his consecutive shots record, Curry made 13 straight two years ago and we've seen five double-digit streaks in the last eight years. It's only a matter of time before that record gets broken, too.

today's NBA shooters needing more extra point balls

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    today's NBA shooters needing more extra point balls
    Jason Kapono set what were then the all-time records in any-round scoring and final-round scoring in 2008, before the extra money balls were added.

Plus, all the extra money balls did was add 4 more points to the maximum possible score in a round. Nobody's ever had a perfect score under either format, so it's not like that matters very much.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    today's NBA shooters needing rest
    while yesterday's NBA shooters were playing back to back to backs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Back-to-back-to-backs have only happened twice in the last few decades, during strike years in 1999 and 2011. But the 1999 lockout lasted longer and the season was shorter.

Yesterday's players needing more time off
    Still showing up fat and out-of-shape after all that time off
    Yesterday's NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course. If :today's NBA players are better at 3 pt shooting, they should be better at the 3 pt shooting contest.
    In the games, though. The guy who wins the 3P contest isn't always the best shooter in the NBA, just as the winner of the skills challenge isn't always the most skilled player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All-Star weekend as an argument? Lefty using "clutch stats" record-keeping as an argument? is getting difficult to read, tbh..

On our side, we're discussing the change in demographics and the eradication of antiquated player types, while these s are talking about All-Star weekend

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    disagree. If someone is better at shooting in game, he's better shooting it in a 3 pt contest as well. The reverse may not be true.

As for those fat crayons, are you going to dip your fingers in wax?
    So Klay is a better 3pt shooter than Steph. Got it.

If Curry goes 5 for 30 in a contest, then he is worse than someone who went 6 for 30 in the same contest.
    In that contest only. So if your point is that "great 3pt shooters in Today's NBA" only means in "that contest", you're correct. Otherwise you're not correct. You're using the 3pt contest results to judge in-game seasonal 3pt shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday's shooters were laying on their backs for the final years of their careers. I recall seeing Bird prone on the sidelines with a towel under his back. Oh the conditioning required for that is outrageous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Never saw anyone have to pick up Ray Allen or Bird at the half court to avoid him hitting a 40' shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said "don't be purposely dumb son. You sometimes get there without having to try." meaning you sometimes get dumb without trying, so don't do it on purpose too. I think it was clear to understand for anyone with basic levels of reading comprehension skills, tbh.
    Don't get snarky son. Not entirely sure how your poorly constructed sentences meant. Did you mean that I shouldn't try to be purposely dumb? Or do you mean I get there without trying? If I wrote a response that you consider dumb, how can you tell if it was purposeful of done without effort? At the end of day, what is the purpose of the directive of not being purposely dumb if you have to follow up with the following sentence?

You for real son? Your "As a three point shooter, of course" answer was in response to this comment I made:
    Yeah, as a three point shooter in a 3 point shooting contest, of course. Do I have to draw you a diagram next time.

At first I thought you were being purposely dumb, now I'm starting to doubt it, tbh.
    , you sure showed how smart you are in this thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was that with or without the extra money balls?

New records in any-round scoring and final-round scoring have been set in each of the last two years. So much for wilting under pressure.
    I got 27 points, but it's off of 34 points. I broke the record of 25 points, but that was off of 30 points. Let's make every single shot a money ball, it will break even more records.

today's NBA using ABA gimmick balls to "break" records.

Why would anyone spend a ton of time practicing for something they'll never need to do outside of a meaningless All-Star contest?
    But they are so much better now than they were then, they shouldn't even need to practice, but after showing that they have to, they can't even do it properly.

Yesterday's NBA players are supposedly comparable to today's players in three-point shooting, but they needed the line shortened for them in the actual games to even get close to today's percentages.
    You mean like 25/30 at the same distance as :today's NBA line?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jason Kapono set what were then the all-time records in any-round scoring and final-round scoring in 2008, before the extra money balls were added.

Plus, all the extra money balls did was add 4 more points to the maximum possible score in a round. Nobody's ever had a perfect score under either format, so it's not like that matters very much.
    Except Hodges already had 25/30 points in 1986, 22 years before Kapono set the record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yesterday's shooters were laying on their backs for the final years of their careers. I recall seeing Bird prone on the sidelines with a towel under his back. Oh the conditioning required for that is outrageous.
    You do know Bird injured his back while doing what today's NBA stars wouldn't be able to do?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the games, though. The guy who wins the 3P contest isn't always the best shooter in the NBA, just as the winner of the skills challenge isn't always the most skilled player.
    I wonder how they select the contestants though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=DMC;8870757]So Klay is a better 3pt shooter than Steph. Got it.[/quote[

The same.

In that contest only. So if your point is that "great 3pt shooters in Today's NBA" only means in "that contest", you're correct. Otherwise you're not correct. You're using the 3pt contest results to judge in-game seasonal 3pt shooters.
    In the contest. Yes,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never saw anyone have to pick up Ray Allen or Bird at the half court to avoid him hitting a 40' shot.
    Only if the topic is about today's NBA players better at 40' shots than yesterday's NBA players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do know Bird injured his back while doing what today's NBA stars wouldn't be able to do?
    I'm not surprised that you believe Bird was legit, tbh..the narrative of Bird being legitimately dominant is as believable as your guy Batman

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't get snarky son. Not entirely sure how your poorly constructed sentences meant. Did you mean that I shouldn't try to be purposely dumb? Or do you mean I get there without trying? If I wrote a response that you consider dumb, how can you tell if it was purposeful of done without effort? At the end of day, what is the purpose of the directive of not being purposely dumb if you have to follow up with the following sentence?
    "Not entirely sure how your poorly constructed sentences meant"??? Talking about poorly constructed sentences.

My sentences were perfectly understandable for a person that knows how to construct and read sentences, tbh.

Yeah, as a three point shooter in a 3 point shooting contest, of course. Do I have to draw you a diagram next time.
    Ooh, now you add the "3 point contest" bit? Again, poor attempt at trying to get your message across son. Anyway, why the would you answer that to a comment I made literally talking about "in-game 3 pt shooting"?

, you sure showed how smart you are in this thread.
    I've shown that for years, posting in this fourm, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Not entirely sure how your poorly constructed sentences meant"??? Talking about poorly constructed sentences.
    That sentence was fine.

My sentences were perfectly understandable for a person that knows how to construct and read sentences, tbh.
    Not really. What was the purpose of it? If something dumb was said, how do you know if it was purposely done or unintended? If you can't tell, what is the point of the "warning" of not being purposely dumb?

Ooh, now you add the "3 point contest" bit? Again, poor attempt at trying to get your message across son. Anyway, why the would you answer that to a comment I made literally talking about "in-game 3 pt shooting"?
    Because this entire thread is about 3 point contest son. While we are at it, do we have to define it as 3 pt shooting in an NBA sized court, and not some kindergarten gym where the three point line is 4 feet away and the net is 3 feet high?

I've shown that for years, posting in this fourm, tbh.
    intelligent internet warrior

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    So the guy jacking up the most shots made the most 3s, cute!

Thread Information