Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yeah, folks don't give KG credit for this '03-'04 season where he was basically Giannis on steroids.

If Cassell didn't get injured, the Wolves might have beaten the Lakers where KG was playing backup PG.

He was also a man possessed in Gm 7 against the Kings:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan was better than Shaq since 2002 easily imo. I realize you're just rewarding Shaq cuz he won that year, but Duncan was superior to him for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Correct List:

2000: Shaq
    2001: Shaq
    2002: Shaq
    2003: Kobe
    2004: Garnett
    2005: Nash
    2006: Kobe
    2007: Nash/Dirk tie
    2008: Kobe
    2009: Kobe
    2010: Kobe
    2011: Dirk
    2012: LeBron
    2013: LeBron
    2014: LeBron
    2015: LeBron
    2016: Curry/LeBron tie
    2017: ???? Jury still out (Harden, LeBron, Westbrook all up there)
    Sorry it was hard to understand you with Kobe's lodged in your throat while you were stabbing that poster of Duncan that you drew devil horns and a Hitler mustache on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2002: Shaq
    2003: Duncan
    2004: Duncan
    2005: Duncan
    2006: Duncan
    2007: Kobe
    2009: Kobe
    2010: LeBron
    2011: LeBron
    2012: LeBron
    2013: LeBron
    2014: LeBron
    2015: LeBron
    2016: Curry
    This list is close to what I'd say. 1999 was also Duncan before Shaq got motivated for those couple of seasons. 2007 I would also give to TD.

2002: Duncan
    2004: Garnett/Duncan (I'll give props to KG for his regular season, but the Spurs should have had the first seed as the Wolves won a game on a completely bogus offensive foul giving them the first seed)
    2006: Duncan (Had plantar fasciitis most of the season, but completely dominated in the playoffs despite it. Was easily the best player over everyone that season)
    2007: Duncan (Parker won finals MVP, but Duncan was easily the playoffs MVP over everyone else)
    2009: Kobe/Lebron
    2010: Lebron
    2011: Lebron
    2012: Lebron
    2013: Lebron
    2014: Lebron
    2015: Lebron
    2016: Curry (regular season only) Lebron (playoffs)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    00-01 Shaq
    02-03 Duncan
    04- Garnett
    05 - Garnett/Dirk (could have been Duncan but he was hurt too much)
    06-07 Dirk (really low point in terms of best player in the league. Others that could make an argument includes Lebron, Chauncey and Kobe)
    08 to 15 Lebron
    16- Curry

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry it was hard to understand you with Kobe's lodged in your throat while you were stabbing that poster of Duncan that you drew devil horns and a Hitler mustache on.
    Duncan was never the best player except maybe you can argue 2003, especially if you factor in the playoffs and Finals, but Kobe was just surreal that year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who says Duncan for 2007 needs to give up sports forever or stop being such a blind homer. Most of his buckets were spoon fed by then and he was CLEARLY in major decline by then after the plantar fascia season. He wasn't even a top 10 MVP candidate that year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan was never the best player except maybe you can argue 2003, especially if you factor in the playoffs and Finals, but Kobe was just surreal that year.
    Come up with a less re ed angle to troll.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lebron has been the best in the league since his game 5 massacre of detroit in 2007

steph was never the best, just the most popular

2000-2002: Shaq
    2003-2007: Timmy
    2008-present: Lebron

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lebron has been the best in the league since his game 5 massacre of detroit in 2007

steph was never the best, just the most popular

2000-2002: Shaq
    2003-2007: Timmy
    2008-present: Lebron
    Did you even watch the NBA or even ESPN from 2004-2010 or did you only watch Spurs games? And how can you say there was never a period, especially in 2006 and the late 2000s, where Kobe was the best, even though ESPN/TNT/the rest of the media and the league unanimously agreed that Kobe was second to none the best player in the NBA during a lot of those stretches?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come up with a less re ed angle to troll.
    Can't handle objectivism, so call the messenger a troll in the name of favoritism. Nice try.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Anyone who says Duncan for 2007 needs to give up sports forever or stop being such a blind homer. Most of his buckets were spoon fed by then and he was CLEARLY in major decline by then after the plantar fascia season. He wasn't even a top 10 MVP candidate that year.
    Duncan was still the alpha of the Spurs in '07, but you're pretty much right. LeBron officially became the best player in the league in 2006. He deserved the MVP that year but got robbed by all the old white sportswriters who voted for Steve Trash on skin color alone.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    It's refreshing to see some objectivity, kudos to you and I enjoy reading your posts.

Veteran
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I think Wade also had a place there. 2006 was Wade's year who flew under the radar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't handle objectivism, so call the messenger a troll in the name of favoritism. Nice try.
    Where's the objectivism? You came up with anything other than your opinion?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoon fed? You're a ING TROLL. You claim you watched basketball those years? I think you were too busy watching someone's go into your mouth.

Did you not watch the playoffs??????????? DUNCAN WAS DOMINANT. All the toughest series, he was the guy that was the MVP. Parker was only the finals MVP because he had the favorable match-up.

Game 5 in Phoenix, when we were down 20 points and on the verge of getting blown out with the Phoenix crowd out for blood in a very hostile area, it was TD that scored something like 14 points in a row to start the 3rd quarter with Kurt Thomas guarding him (Suns' best big man defender). Spoon fed my ass. You're either a troll or yet another that underrates TD.

TD didn't start his decline until the 2009 season. 2008, he was still top 5, maybe 4th or 5th, but no, troll, he was still great in 2007.

I also take both playoffs and regular season into consideration when picking best player of the year. If you just want to list the regular season, then I don't give a about those lists. I take both into consideration. You can't have a great regular season and completely the bed in the playoffs like Dirk did in 2007 and expect me to say you were the best player that season. Sorry, I won't acknowledge players like that. I also put more weight into a great playoff run than a great regular season with an average playoff performance/s.

Also, don't bother replying because I don't give a what you've got to say from this point on. Enjoy those Dallas Cowboys that you said all over the Spurs earlier in the year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan was still the alpha of the Spurs in '07, but you're pretty much right. LeBron officially became the best player in the league in 2006. He deserved the MVP that year but got robbed by all the old white sportswriters who voted for Steve Trash on skin color alone.
    I disagree. Lebron became the best player in 2008. He wasn't quite there before then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UNT is a college kid but says he knows basketball from early-mid 2000's dude you were in elementary/middle school boy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UNT is a college kid but says he knows basketball from early-mid 2000's dude you were in elementary/middle school boy.
    I was only in elementary school one semester, the 2002 part of the 2002-03 schoolyear. I told my mom I wanted to try third grade. I vividly remember skipping school the Monday before Thanksgiving (Northside ISD didn't give kids/teachers the whole week off back then) after crying all night because we lost a home game to the Sonics after being up like 20 in the 4th quarter. I think it was one Brent Barry who sank us that time, too.

Elementary school just wasn't for me, due to social (not academic) reasons. I was smart, white, short and skinny in a school of dumb, bigger Hispanic kids (a few blacks). I was home "schooled" the rest of the way up until 8th grade. My "education" consisted of freelance fiction reading, web surfing, computer/video games, chat rooms, basketball and football (both watching and playing), and posting on message boards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spoon fed? You're a ING TROLL. You claim you watched basketball those years? I think you were too busy watching someone's go into your mouth.

Did you not watch the playoffs??????????? DUNCAN WAS DOMINANT. All the toughest series, he was the guy that was the MVP. Parker was only the finals MVP because he had the favorable match-up.

Game 5 in Phoenix, when we were down 20 points and on the verge of getting blown out with the Phoenix crowd out for blood in a very hostile area, it was TD that scored something like 14 points in a row to start the 3rd quarter with Kurt Thomas guarding him (Suns' best big man defender). Spoon fed my ass. You're either a troll or yet another that underrates TD.

TD didn't start his decline until the 2009 season. 2008, he was still top 5, maybe 4th or 5th, but no, troll, he was still great in 2007.

I also take both playoffs and regular season into consideration when picking best player of the year. If you just want to list the regular season, then I don't give a about those lists. I take both into consideration. You can't have a great regular season and completely the bed in the playoffs like Dirk did in 2007 and expect me to say you were the best player that season. Sorry, I won't acknowledge players like that. I also put more weight into a great playoff run than a great regular season with an average playoff performance/s.

Also, don't bother replying because I don't give a what you've got to say from this point on. Enjoy those Dallas Cowboys that you said all over the Spurs earlier in the year.
    Tony was better than Duncan in every playoff series that year.

Overall, 2007:

1) Nash
    2) Dirk
    3) Kobe
    4) LeBron
    5) Wade
    6) Arenas
    7) Davis
    8) McGrady
    9) Parker
    10) Bosh
    11) Melo
    12) Duncan
    13) D. Williams
    14) Stoudemire
    15) Boozer
    16) Iverson
    17) Billups
    18) D. Howard
    19) Carter
    20) Yao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan had the most help out of any team in the league apart from maybe Detroit, in 2007... who did the guys I listed above him have? Furthermore, how many game winning shots or even ATTEMPTS did Duncan have in 2007? Let's not confuse 2007 and 2003, please.

Duncan had the best perimeter defender and defense in the league, the best bench in the league, a top 5 PG, and a top 5 SG. And arguably the best system in sports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony was better than Duncan in every playoff series that year.

Overall, 2007:

1) Nash
    2) Dirk
    3) Kobe
    4) LeBron
    5) Wade
    6) Arenas
    7) Davis
    8) McGrady
    9) Parker
    10) Bosh
    11) Melo
    12) Duncan
    13) D. Williams
    14) Stoudemire
    15) Boozer
    16) Iverson
    17) Billups
    18) D. Howard
    19) Carter
    20) Yao
    Duncan had the most help out of any team in the league apart from maybe Detroit, in 2007... who did the guys I listed above him have? Furthermore, how many game winning shots or even ATTEMPTS did Duncan have in 2007? Let's not confuse 2007 and 2003, please.

Duncan had the best perimeter defender and defense in the league, the best bench in the league, a top 5 PG, and a top 5 SG. And arguably the best system in sports.
    Do you know what objective means?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid thread as per the usual. No one cares about TD.
    Oh, well look who's still posting on Spurstalk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This list is close to what I'd say. 1999 was also Duncan before Shaq got motivated for those couple of seasons. 2007 I would also give to TD.

2002: Duncan
    2004: Garnett/Duncan (I'll give props to KG for his regular season, but the Spurs should have had the first seed as the Wolves won a game on a completely bogus offensive foul giving them the first seed)
    2006: Duncan (Had plantar fasciitis most of the season, but completely dominated in the playoffs despite it. Was easily the best player over everyone that season)
    2007: Duncan (Parker won finals MVP, but Duncan was easily the playoffs MVP over everyone else)
    2009: Kobe/Lebron
    2010: Lebron
    2011: Lebron
    2012: Lebron
    2013: Lebron
    2014: Lebron
    2015: Lebron
    2016: Curry (regular season only) Lebron (playoffs)
    Exactly, Duncan was the best player on the planet in 99 and 02-07. Sad to see him underrated by spurs fans of all people.

And that's not homerism. Duncan is a top 5 player all time for a reason. He was his generation's Lebron. He passed the torch to Lebron in 07 (despite beating him in the finals)...and he still tried to take it back in 13 (putting on an MVP performance in game 6).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and he still tried to take it back in 13 (putting on an MVP performance in game 6).
    30 points in the first half and virtually zero in the second half is an MVP performance? homerism

Thread Information