Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should we trade him for Jeff Green just to clear his salary?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would do a Millsap for LMA, tbh..His offensive versatility is way more valuable..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It really sucks thinking about trading for Butler as I was looking at the 2011 draft earlier today.

29th pick Spurs draft Cory Joseph
    30th pick Bulls draft Jimmy Butler

59th pick Spurs draft Adam Hanga
    60th pick Kings draft Isaiah Thomas

I know drafting is hit and miss, but those two players were picked right after the Spurs' picks, so it kind of makes me feel like more of a close miss. So close yet so far type of thing. Spurs could have left that draft with a haul of Kawhi, Butler, Bertans and Thomas. That's almost a whole starting 5. I'm most upset about Isaiah Thomas. I loved the way he played the first time I saw him in a Kings uniform, thought he would have been sick off the bench for the Spurs - A superior version of Speedy Claxton. He's really turned himself into an amazing player. Anyone seen what he's been doing this season? Not sure if he can keep up his current play, but it appears that he's getting better and better.
    Thomas plays no defense at all. He wont play his offense with Parker on board, and wont get into rotation without playing defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His offense is incredibly limited due to his inefficiency outside of his overrated mid range.

Aldridge is too predictable and too sloppy on the block. Smart teams never double ...those open 3s on strong side Danny gets vs the Kings and Lakers are fools gold. Ive been saying this after a lot of ST bold and greys overrate his true offensive value. He doesnt create good looks with the ball for himself or anyone...hes just a finisher that can Pop out in PnRs.

tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does get doubled... not bc they fear him IMO, but bc he's such a poor passer that he will cough up the ball b4 he finds a teammate. I had already seen that in game 4 of the Memphis series and it has continued from there on. He's not going to get what he wants in the post. He's going to get blitzed/flashed doubled by Beverly or whomever and cough it up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He does get doubled... not bc they fear him IMO, but bc he's such a poor passer that he will cough up the ball b4 he finds a teammate. I had already seen that in game 4 of the Memphis series and it has continued from there on. He's not going to get what he wants in the post. He's going to get blitzed/flashed doubled by Beverly or whomever and cough it up.
    Teams mix it up for the very reason you pointed out.. but they are anticipating his passes like defenses anticipate Brock Osweiler's passes because he's so predictable.

My point is, he doesn't create the type of doubles that create better opportunities. Teams are anticipating closing out if they can't deflect the pass. So how are these type of traps beneficial to the others on the Spurs?

Also, Rockets left Ryno to defend him 1 on 1 in 4 other possessions and LA couldn't take advantage. I wasn't surprised... he's been a 43% option in the post all season long. Massively overrated player in the post not just in this forum, but on twitter and from SAENS own media guys.

Post play in general is one of the worst styles of offense in 2017. You can't compete w/ the best teams in a 7 game series playing post up 40% basketball while they get 40-50 40% threes the other way. I said it last off-season but many people here tried to argue Gasol/LA would be an advantage in the post against smaller teams. Not the case, why? Because they don't have the foot speed/footwork to make effective moves towards the rim that warrant weakside attention. Teams can play them straight up and easily stay between them and the basket -- making them take 40% contested hooks or dumbass fadeaways. If Spurs are getting contested 2's at a 40% clip, while HOU/GS are getting 40-50 40% 3's a game, in a 7 game series.. it won't be close.. not by a long shot.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 05-02-2017 at 01:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams mix it up for the very reason you pointed out.. but they are anticipating his passes like defenses anticipate Brock Osweiler's passes because he's so predictable.

My point is, he doesn't create the type of doubles that create better opportunities. Teams are anticipating closing out if they can't deflect the pass. So how are these type of traps beneficial to the others on the Spurs?

Also, Rockets left Ryno to defend him 1 on 1 in 4 other possessions and LA couldn't take advantage. I wasn't surprised... he's been a 43% option in the post all season long. Massively oriented player in the post not just in this forum, but on twitter and from SAENS own media guys.
    He doesn't... they need to move away from him. As you said, he's a finisher not a creator. This series is over if Pop keeps going to him and he's not going to change. He's not all of sudden going to play Dijon, Bertans and Kyle more (I know you don't like him but damn he's better than this Lamarcus tbh.)

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't... they need to move away from him. As you said, he's a finisher not a creator. This series is over if Pop keeps going to him and he's not going to change. He's not all of sudden going to play Dijon, Bertans and Kyle more (I know you don't like him but damn he's better than this Lamarcus tbh.)
    Dijon, Dedmon need to play more... Anderson is too much of a liability on offense while Simmons is too much of a liability on both offense and defense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop won't though. Pop will keep going big and will probably go inside to Pau/LA more because that's what he thinks will win ... unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I was very candid with him," Gregg Popovich recalled months later. "I told him, 'I'd be happy to trade you. You get me a talent like Kevin Durant, and I'll drive you to the airport. I'll pack your bags. And I will drive you there, get you on the plane, and get you seated.' He laughed, you know, that kind of thing.

"I said, 'But short of that, I'm your best buddy because you're here for another year, and you ain't going nowhere. Because we're not gonna get for you talentwise what we would want. So let's figure this thing out.' And we did."

The trade request didn't become public until Popovich told reporters that it had been a catalyst for Aldridge's best season in San Antonio. Their discussions had made Popovich realize that he had been "overcoaching" Aldridge, the legendary coach said. Popovich changed his approach, and Aldridge signed a two-year extension before the regular season started. Aldridge made the All-NBA Second Team in 2018, made his seventh All-Star team in 2019 and remained with the Spurs until they agreed to a buyout in 2021.

Link
    A history of unfulfilled NBA trade requests, from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to Scottie Pippen to Kobe Bryant - CBSSports.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Their discussions had made Popovich realize that he had been "overcoaching" Aldridge, the legendary coach said.
    Well, no . Aldridge had already played 9 years and been an All-star 4 times when he signed with the Spurs. You can't just take a veteran player who's already established himself as a star and try to change the way he plays.

Thread Information