Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans has a small amount of Boban disease. He can't back up well when someone comes at him, particularly back up and pivot. Don't think that has anything to do with his ACL.
    I don't know why, but he keeps bouncing on his feet on defense and gets blown by bc he bounces one way his man goes another, or he just keeps giving room until he's all the way in the paint at which point guys get layups or draw fouls on him. He doesn't strip guys like Kyle does, nor does he play a passing lane to deflect a pass like Kyle. He's not disruptive, doesn't rebound as he should, etc.

He's probably still learning to play D the way Pop wants him to. His athleticism helps for blocking shots and I think he can be a better system defender than he is, once he understands the NBA game, but it helps a lot to anticipate a play and he doesn't have good instincts there.

Kyle just doesn't get enough credit for being a good defender and hAving good instincts for the game. He was one last season too and has started games and competed against starters without being a sieve.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a very good defender, a very good passer, and a good rebounder. If he can shoot the three with some consistency, he can definitely be a legit four in this league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans also has fairly short arms unlike Anderson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    General athleticism and lateral mobility aren't the same things.
    Lol sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyles lateral mobility there is unnatural

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if this video shows why, but I agree. I don't think Anderson has the mobility Bertans does. Even with his knee injuries he still slides his feet well and has recovered nicely if his man beats him.

Anderson probably uses his length better, but guys drive by him and at that point it's relying on help.

He's just not as smart a defender yet, and as a rookie it's not too surprising
    and you're right, though Kyle is a very smart defender with his limitations

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually kind of surprising that you're taking such an arrogant approach against something that is pretty self-evident. But it's also surprising to see you up here trying to talk basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's actually kind of surprising that you're taking such an arrogant approach against something that is pretty self-evident. But it's also surprising to see you up here trying to talk basketball.
    It's self evident that Bertans is more mobile than Kyle. The YouTube clip shows Bertans exploding to the rim around his man.

You hugging Kyle's nuts is unsurprising

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's self evident that Bertans is more mobile than Kyle. The YouTube clip shows Bertans exploding to the rim around his man.

You hugging Kyle's nuts is unsurprising
    Tiago Splitter didn't explode anywhere and had elite mobility defensively. It doesn't shock me that you don't know that, seeing as you really don't post on the Spurs board too often. Jumping high, running fast, moving your feet well side to side. These are different things, and they all use different muscle groupings and ligaments. Tearing an ACL affects lateral moving more than anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson has better instincts for the game on defense. It's not about mobility.
    I alluded to that already tho with the not as smart a defender comment... I was responding to someone who said Anderson had better mobility than Bertans...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said that already tho. I was responding to someone who said Anderson had better mobility than Bertans.
    Oh Roger that!
    It gets though to follow who said what...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh Roger that!
    It gets though to follow who said what...
    Yea. It's tough on here

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fathead is trash 1v1. 3 years now of watching him. Someone tell me I'm wrong.

That's prime for any playoff guard to switch on him and blow by him.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Surprisingly Anderson stays in front of his man much better than a lot of more athletic players like Bertans. He has great anticipation reading his man.
    Shane Battier wasn't the quickest or most athletic dude but he had excellent footwork/positioning & knew how to play angles. Kyle is a similar type of player except he's longer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shane Battier wasn't the quickest or most athletic dude but he had excellent footwork/positioning & knew how to play angles. Kyle is a similar type of player except he's longer.
    Getting blocks from behind on guys that have beaten him is one of his prime weapons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago Splitter didn't explode anywhere and had elite mobility defensively. It doesn't shock me that you don't know that, seeing as you really don't post on the Spurs board too often. Jumping high, running fast, moving your feet well side to side. These are different things, and they all use different muscle groupings and ligaments. Tearing an ACL affects lateral moving more than anything else.
    Lol wgaf about Splitter. We're comparing Bertans to Kyle.

It's an ass whip to try to discuss things with goal post movers that throw out a wall of text to dissect.

Winter is here, I'm sure kyle appreciates you keeping his nuts warm.

PRESSURE MAKES DIAMONDS
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been begging that Pop play him at the 4 as a poor-man's Draymond Green & Pau's injury might be the best thing that happened to the team....along w/ Porker's.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are completely different things.

Some guys are athletic freaks in a straight line but when it comes time to chop their feet and move side to side and at angles, that athleticism isn't as impressive. It works the other way as well. It's why some athletic bigs can stick with a guard on a switch and some can't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson will be a much better defender to Bertans. Kyle positioning is very good. Excellent in fact. Offensively though, Bertans has that covered. Thing is, I think Bertans will always be a 4 and Kyle should always be a 3. Those two together could really work in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans also has fairly short arms unlike Anderson.
    i read somewhere that Bertans has a 7'3 wingspan that's five inches longer than his body in shoes.
    Anderson's arm span is 7'2 3/4, which is a little over inches longer than his body.

Bertan's has long arms but Anderson's arms are freakishly long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are completely different things.

Some guys are athletic freaks in a straight line but when it comes time to chop their feet and move side to side and at angles, that athleticism isn't as impressive. It works the other way as well. It's why some athletic bigs can stick with a guard on a switch and some can't.
    Fascinating.

Is this your way of agreeing with Chinook that Kyle is more mobile than Bertans or are you just giving a lecture, professor?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle has had a nice few games filling in for the massive shoes of Kawhi. He does a nice job rebounding and messing with shots. He can be beat on the parameter, but even then bothers the shot with his length and usually funnels the guy to a potential blocker.
    I have noticed that he has also been talking to the newer players about spacing on the floor. I am sure Becky, Tony, and Kyle all have been helping Murray get up to speed as fast as possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i read somewhere that Bertans has a 7'3 wingspan that's five inches longer than his body in shoes.
    Anderson's arm span is 7'2 3/4, which is a little over inches longer than his body.

Bertan's has long arms but Anderson's arms are freakishly long.
    Draftexpress in 2011 noted negatives on Bertans as a height of 6'10" but wingspan of only 6'10" and average lateral quickness.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Davis-Bertans-6320/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson will be a much better defender to Bertans. Kyle positioning is very good. Excellent in fact. Offensively though, Bertans has that covered. Thing is, I think Bertans will always be a 4 and Kyle should always be a 3. Those two together could really work in the future.
    I agree and Pop praising the young Spurs as guys with high character that enjoy playing with each other means to me that the locker room with the young Spurs has no drama and everyone wants each other to succeed and play well when they get chances.

(The drama queens are in this forum. )

Thread Information