San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

(The drama queens are in this forum. )
    You don't have to be hard on yourself

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draftexpress in 2011 noted negatives on Bertans as a height of 6'10" but wingspan of only 6'10" and average lateral quickness.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Davis-Bertans-6320/
    Thanks for the real facts. Bertans wingspan can't be much because of his narrow shoulders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draftexpress in 2011 noted negatives on Bertans as a height of 6'10" but wingspan of only 6'10" and average lateral quickness.

cheers for that.

They have updated that height. He was only 6'8" when drafted as I recall. Davis was 18 and has grown 2 inches since then. It is part of why there is some confusion whether he is a 3 or 4. Everyone thought back then he was a SF

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by SAGirl; 01-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lol "only 6'10"

Most people's wingspans = their height

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't have to be hard on yourself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol "only 6'10"

Nope. Wingspans tend to be longer than their height by a good couple of inches.

This really hasn't been a good day or so for you trying to show off your bball takes.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...bsurd_and.html

According to one study, the average adult man has an arm span 2.1 inches longer than his height. The 2014 NBA combine wingspan numbers—helpfully aggregated by DraftExpress—reveal that elite basketball players are not average adult men. The players measured at this year’s combine have a wingspan that is, on average, 4.8 inches longer than their height without shoes. (That’s a bit stretchier than the usual draft crop: According to DraftExpress’s historical numbers, the average NBA prospect is 4.4 inches longer than he is tall.) David Epstein, the author of the excellent book The Sports Gene, says that most people have an arm length-to-height ratio of 1.01-to-1. By contrast, Epstein reports that the average NBA player has an arms-to-height ratio of 1.06-to-1, “greater than … the diagnostic criteria for Marfan syndrome, a disorder of the body’s connective tissues that often results in elongated limbs.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cheers for that.

They have updated that height. He was only 6'8" when drafted as I recall. Davis was 18 and has grown 2 inches since then. It is part of why there is some confusion whether he is a 3 or 4. Everyone thought back then he was a SF
    I think he should be as tall as Dedmon. Dedmon has actuall measurements without shoes at 6'10": http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...e-Dedmon-6506/

You can actually see it in this image where they are both just standing up:

Note: Dedmon is standing closer to the camera, so he should appear bigger, but it looks like they are the same height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This really hasn't been a good day or so for you trying to show off your bball takes.

I was talking about people in general.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8793422

This hasn't been a good year for you showing off your reading skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was talking about people in general.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8793422

This hasn't been a good year for you showing off your reading skills.
    Did you read the first sentence of that quote? Two inches is the average for regular people. It's four or five inches for basketball players.

God, you're being stupid as about this. Here's your link:

RESULTS:Correlation coefficients (r = 0.73-0.89) indicated a clear association between arm-span measurements and height in all groups. However, arm-span was found to be significantly different (P < 0.01) from height in two ethnic groups, the Afro-Caribbean's of both sexes and Asian males. This suggests that arm-span measurements may be an inappropriate proxy for height in certain populations.
    CONCLUSION:
    The arm-span measurement and height relationship is significantly different in Afro-Caribbean and Asian males. This suggests that any future studies attempting to use arm-span measurement as a proxy for height must consider these ethnic differences.
    Maybe that's too complicated for you to understand, but it says nothing about wingspan equaling height. , it says nothing about them even being proportional. The whole point of that article is that those two factors don't reliably correlate unless you control for things like race.

Seriously, go back to the Political Forum where there will be people to make better arguments for you to latch onto. This isn't your cup of tea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol wow. I clearly said in general it's the case, not that it's always the case. The study clearly shows the correlation. It's very very clear.

Your reading comprehension still blows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Day 2 of lol Kyle being more mobile than Bertans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol wow. I clearly said in general it's the case, not that it's always the case. The study clearly shows the correlation. It's very very clear.

Your reading comprehension still blows.
    Correlation doesn't mean they're equal. Stop being a dumbass. The taller you are the longer your arms tend to be; however, wingspan is still usually greater than height. Mine is four inches longer, for example, and I'm of regular height.

More importantly, you were trying to lol at someone talking about Bertans' ratio, which means you weren't talking about normal people. Even if Bertans were normal (he's not), he'd still be below-average for an NBA player.

Stop being a hack. You clearly have no idea how any of this stuff works. That's fine, but you keep doubling down on your stupidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol who said they were equal. Do you understand what "in general" means?

I'm not responding to the rest of that blithering wall of text. I like how you slide goal post moves in those long winded posts though. Pretty slick, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol who said they were equal. Do you understand what "in general" means?

I'm not responding to the rest of that blithering wall of text
    Lol "only 6'10"

No, dumbass, most people's wingspans > their height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle has played really well lately. His defense has been a nice asset.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question..... Do you guys think Anderson can guard KD? Not saying stop him, just bother him a bit??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question..... Do you guys think Anderson can guard KD? Not saying stop him, just bother him a bit??
    occasionally? Maybe

As the main defender? No chance in

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    occasionally? Maybe

As the main defender? No chance in
    Against GS, 8-10 min is all you would need, assuming Kawhi plays the rest of the game and spends all his time guarding Durant.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, because he has the length. Everyone else other than Leonard is just too small.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Careful, Chinook. The article says "one study". I've seen at least a half dozen studies on height/wingspan over the years that all concluded the same thing: that, statistically, it is not possible to reject the hypothesis that height=wingspan in the general population. Took me about 10 seconds to find one of those studies - link below.

There was a really good study that hypothesized that the ratio of wingspan/height was race-related. The theory was that in those of European descent, wingspan was roughly equal to height; in those of African descent, wingspan was greater than height; and in those of Asian descent, wingspan was slightly less than height. The correlation was weak, but there nonetheless. Doesn't matter much, as that study was sanitized and disappeared. Ins utions shy away from studies like that these days.

One thing is certain - NBA players tend to have wingspans that are extraordinarily long, compared to their height. They are outliers. It's part of the edge that allows them to make it to the NBA.

Edit: Forgot the link. This was the first one that popped up. There are plenty of others out there, I'm sure. Just saying it's not as cut and dried as most people think, looking at anecdotal evidence and isolated studies.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/...portions.shtml
    Last edited by GSH; 01-25-2017 at 05:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Against GS, 8-10 min is all you would need, assuming Kawhi plays the rest of the game and spends all his time guarding Durant.
    In this case, it could have "relative" success, after all we are talking about kevin durant here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, dumbass, most people's wingspans > their height.
    K, nifty. I found out today that some studies show dudes wingspans are roughly 2 inches longer than their height which just completely shatters the myth I grew up on.

I mean that really makes your Kyle mobility > Bertran's mobility comment look Einsteinian.

I'm telling you, you're really good at diverting attention away from your ridiculous comments. Very impressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cheers for tha't.

Bertans' standing reach is listed at 8'10" which is the same as Kawhi's. So it's clear he's not a freak of nature in the reach department. But the difference is also not so drastic as to make it a serious negative.

One thing I will say is that the measurements came from the Nike Hoops Summit. They aren't always as accurate as they could be. I've seen quite a few that they absolutely got wrong. Not only that, but kids in their teens and early 20's tend to have height variations as the day goes on. Measure them in the morning, and they might be an inch, or even a little more, taller than in the morning. I've never had the occasion to look at wingspan that way. But I can tell you that healthcare professionals' measurements on patients will not be the same, so I wouldn't take the Hoops Summit numbers as gospel. Davis' reach probably isn't as great as a bunch of other NBA guys who are the same height.

His height isn't the only reason for confusion over him being a 3 or a 4. He played the 3 primarily in Europe. Not exclusively, but most of the time - at least before the ACL. I don't know about after that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans' standing reach is listed at 8'10" which is the same as Kawhi's. So it's clear he's not a freak of nature in the reach department. But the difference is also not so drastic as to make it a serious negative.

One thing I will say is that the measurements came from the Nike Hoops Summit. They aren't always as accurate as they could be. I've seen quite a few that they absolutely got wrong. Not only that, but kids in their teens and early 20's tend to have height variations as the day goes on. Measure them in the morning, and they might be an inch, or even a little more, taller than in the morning. I've never had the occasion to look at wingspan that way. But I can tell you that healthcare professionals' measurements on patients will not be the same, so I wouldn't take the Hoops Summit numbers as gospel. Davis' reach probably isn't as great as a bunch of other NBA guys who are the same height.

His height isn't the only reason for confusion over him being a 3 or a 4. He played the 3 primarily in Europe. Not exclusively, but most of the time - at least before the ACL. I don't know about after that.
    I can't believe that he's so much better than Spurs other 1st round draft pick that had a similar injury. Yeah, what's his name in the d-league?

Thread Information