Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't tell if Blake is dishonest or delusional.

Chinook didn't introduce wingspan into the conversation. Picnroll mentioned it first, Blake eventually commented that wingspan typically equals height, and Chinook corrected him. That was a separate string of comments than the mobility one. It wasn't a "distraction" or goal post shift or w/e

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe that he's so much better than Spurs other 1st round draft pick that had a similar injury. Yeah, what's his name in the d-league?

Not sure what you're getting at, or how it relates to that post. Help me out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Serious question..... Do you guys think Anderson can guard KD? Not saying stop him, just bother him a bit??
    For a few minutes yes, whether bc Pop needs to rest Kawhi or someone is in foul trouble, or bc he wants to throw some other look or body out there he can. Kyle guarded him in the OkC series and stripped him a few times and at least didn't make it easy... Not like you will have him there for long anyways and KD will figure out anybody or any scheme eventually, but for a few minutes yes... (sort of like Pop putting Simmons on Lebron against the Cavs the last game. He did it for just a few minutes and was fine... if you do it for a full game, Lebron will figure it out eventually too.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Chinook didn't introduce wingspan into the conversation. Picnroll mentioned it first, Blake eventually commented that wingspan typically equals height, and Chinook corrected him. That was a separate string of comments than the mobility one. It wasn't a "distraction" or goal post shift or w/e
    Blake is kind of trolling I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Careful, Chinook. The article says "one study". I've seen at least a half dozen studies on height/wingspan over the years that all concluded the same thing: that, statistically, it is not possible to reject the hypothesis that height=wingspan in the general population. Took me about 10 seconds to find one of those studies - link below.

There was a really good study that hypothesized that the ratio of wingspan/height was race-related. The theory was that in those of European descent, wingspan was roughly equal to height; in those of African descent, wingspan was greater than height; and in those of Asian descent, wingspan was slightly less than height. The correlation was weak, but there nonetheless. Doesn't matter much, as that study was sanitized and disappeared. Ins utions shy away from studies like that these days.

One thing is certain - NBA players tend to have wingspans that are extraordinarily long, compared to their height. They are outliers. It's part of the edge that allows them to make it to the NBA.

Edit: Forgot the link. This was the first one that popped up. There are plenty of others out there, I'm sure. Just saying it's not as cut and dried as most people think, looking at anecdotal evidence and isolated studies.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/...portions.shtml
    The study you reference kind of makes me laugh bc Kyle is sort of like a quarter chinese (I think chinese grandmother on the mother's side or something) and his father is african american... lol I can't remember where I saw it (I think his college team UCLA visited China when he was a freshman and I saw an interview about it...) Anyways, I bet Kyle would make that study go around for some loops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, it's pretty clear to me that Chinook has run away from his Kyle mobility comment and is now focusing his walls of text squarely on height wingspan talk.

You can perceive it how you like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he has abandoned the claim that kyle shows greater lateral mobility than Bertans. Feel free to ask him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he has abandoned the claim that kyle shows greater lateral mobility than Bertans. Feel free to ask him
    I don't think so either.

That's why it's funny. He doesn't want to admit it was stupid but he doesn't want to discuss it any more. He doesn't want to back it up. He just wants it to be forgotten.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake is kind of trolling I think.
    Well sure.

What's your answer as to who has more mobility between Kyle and Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well sure.

What's your answer as to who has more mobility between Kyle and Bertans.
    I am just going to ignore that whole discussion... you can carry on just fine without me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to sell high

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think so either.

That's why it's funny. He doesn't want to admit it was stupid but he doesn't want to discuss it any more. He doesn't want to back it up. He just wants it to be forgotten.
    You've brought nothing to the table. Your original evaluation was that mobility = general athleticism and tried to demonstrate that by showing offensive highlights. I've already shown how your evaluation was wrong; mobility is not tied to things like straight-line speed or vertical. So you conceded that (though you did so like a jerk). Now you have nothing but want to "discuss" it anyway.

Mobility isn't just how fast your legs can move. It's also how well you move, both in terms of pure coordination and spatial intelligence. That's why you have guys like Splitter who could move just as well as guys with much more athleticism.

Anderson is extremely well-coordinated, which is how he survives being relatively unathletic. As I said in my first post on the topic, he has maximized his limited physical gifts. Bertans is just in a different boat, which you can tell from how rounded of turns he takes when he has to change direction on a drive and how choppy his steps are when he makes a sudden pivot. Maybe that is do to his knee, though probably more about trust than the actual integrity of it. Maybe that has to do with him being tall and gangly and unused to those movements. Maybe he just doesn't practice those movements enough. But guess what? Those all go into a player being mobile.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am just going to ignore that whole discussion... you can carry on just fine without me.

The simple questions about your heroes are sometimes the hardest to answer huh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The simple questions about your heroes are sometimes the hardest to answer huh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Careful, Chinook. The article says "one study". I've seen at least a half dozen studies on height/wingspan over the years that all concluded the same thing: that, statistically, it is not possible to reject the hypothesis that height=wingspan in the general population. Took me about 10 seconds to find one of those studies - link below.

There was a really good study that hypothesized that the ratio of wingspan/height was race-related. The theory was that in those of European descent, wingspan was roughly equal to height; in those of African descent, wingspan was greater than height; and in those of Asian descent, wingspan was slightly less than height. The correlation was weak, but there nonetheless. Doesn't matter much, as that study was sanitized and disappeared. Ins utions shy away from studies like that these days.

One thing is certain - NBA players tend to have wingspans that are extraordinarily long, compared to their height. They are outliers. It's part of the edge that allows them to make it to the NBA.

Edit: Forgot the link. This was the first one that popped up. There are plenty of others out there, I'm sure. Just saying it's not as cut and dried as most people think, looking at anecdotal evidence and isolated studies.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2006/...portions.shtml
    Indeed, thanks for more insight. Blake's article suggested something similar to what you're saying. Indeed, long arms help with a lot of basketball things, and Bertans (and Bonner) are both sort of odd for their wingspans as far as general NBA population goes. For a guy his height, it really shouldn't make a difference. He's plenty long enough to contest anything. But Kyle having a superlative wingspan for his height is definitely a potential edge when judging their defensive potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've brought nothing to the table. Your original evaluation was that mobility = general athleticism and tried to demonstrate that by showing offensive highlights. I've already shown how your evaluation was wrong; mobility is not tied to things like straight-line speed or vertical. So you conceded that (though you did so like a jerk). Now you have nothing but want to "discuss" it anyway.

Mobility isn't just how fast your legs can move. It's also how well you move, both in terms of pure coordination and spatial intelligence. That's why you have guys like Splitter who could move just as well as guys with much more athleticism.

Anderson is extremely well-coordinated, which is how he survives being relatively unathletic. As I said in my first post on the topic, he has maximized his limited physical gifts. Bertans is just in a different boat, which you can tell from how rounded of turns he takes when he has to change direction on a drive and how choppy his steps are when he makes a sudden pivot. Maybe that is do to his knee, though probably more about trust than the actual integrity of it. Maybe that has to do with him being tall and gangly and unused to those movements. Maybe he just doesn't practice those movements enough. But guess what? Those all go into a player being mobile.
    It's your claim. I don't need to bring anything to the table.

Your hacky text wall of mobility vs athleticism is fluff and filler that is gonna stay off the table too.

You're a scrub that made a silly comment about a guy named SloMo being more mobile than a guy that has shown some explosive dunks on those bad knees these past few games.

My lol stands

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's OK to be afraid. The message board isn't for the thin skinned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am SO enjoying this thread! Kudos guys!

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I
    never noticed the coordination aspect per se in this context you place it but it does allow him to avoid fouling.. and that is important for defense. I have noticed his feet position is usually great in half court sets and when he knows a screen is coming (if he can't anticipate a screen he will get screened free like anybody, but if he knows the screen is coming he positions his feet to go around it if he needs to and tries to anticipate the direction the guy is taking. That certainly does take coordination (and anticipation).

Blake is mostly trolling bc he doesn't care to really discuss any of these observations.

Davis is really new to the system and he really plays mostly a 4 (whereas Pop has played Kyle on the wings a lot)... Feet positioning is not something I have seen Davis be great at but then again, he doesn't have to go through a lot of screens as a 4...

I really hate this kind of discussion bc someone is always going to come out the bad end of it. Kyle is a superior rebounder when he has in his mind to go for a board, he blocks out and boxes out guys regularly, he has quick hands, and good hands, defends without fouling most of the time, relies on feet positioning and his length and has BBIQ to anticipate plays. He can deflect a lot of passes in his vecinity and to that end made plays like this:

He has definitely maximized his talents and physical tools. I hate to contrast that with Davis who needs to play to his own personal strengths... where for a big he's fast and agile and can block shots. He just needs to pick up the Spurs system on defense. Davis has his own church, is a very gifted offensive player and I like him too... so just dislike these comparisons.

Kyle on the other hand unfortunately has so many haters on the forums that they refuse to acknowledge even the things the guy does well.

C'est la vie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "....With that said, the biggest questions surrounding Anderson's pro potential revolve around his play on the defensive end, specifically, who he will be able to guard at the NBA level. While Anderson's length and anticipation skills allow him to generate plenty of blocks and steals, his lateral quickness is as poor as any player in this draft class. He's extremely upright in his defensive stance, and he allows opposing players to blow right by him like he's simply invisible at times......"

DraftExpressProfile: Kyle Anderson, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Anderson-6177/

Oh hey, I'll bring this to the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I
    never noticed the coordination aspect per se in this context you place it but it does allow him to avoid fouling.. and that is important for defense. I have noticed his feet position is usually great in half court sets and when he knows a screen is coming (if he can't anticipate a screen he will get screened free like anybody, but if he knows the screen is coming he positions his feet to go around it if he needs to and tries to anticipate the direction the guy is taking. That certainly does take coordination (and anticipation).

Blake is mostly trolling bc he doesn't care to really discuss any of these observations.

Davis is really new to the system and he really plays mostly a 4 (whereas Pop has played Kyle on the wings a lot)... Feet positioning is not something I have seen Davis be great at but then again, he doesn't have to go through a lot of screens as a 4...

I really hate this kind of discussion bc someone is always going to come out the bad end of it. Kyle is a superior rebounder when he has in his mind to go for a board, he blocks out and boxes out guys regularly, he has quick hands, and good hands, defends without fouling most of the time, relies on feet positioning and his length and has BBIQ to anticipate plays. He can deflect a lot of passes in his vecinity and to that end made plays like this:

He has definitely maximized his talents and physical tools. I hate to contrast that with Davis who needs to play to his own personal strengths... where for a big he's fast and agile and can block shots. He just needs to pick up the Spurs system on defense. Davis has his own church, is a very gifted offensive player and I like him too... so just dislike these comparisons.

Kyle on the other hand unfortunately has so many haters on the forums that they refuse to acknowledge even the things the guy does well.

C'est la vie.
    Is this your way of ignoring the discussion

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I

C'est la vie.
    lol...
    I have zero hate for Kyle, but you just said you were bowing out of this discussion.
    Sigh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep on trolling dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol...
    I have zero hate for Kyle, but you just said you were bowing out of this discussion.
    Sigh...
    lol
    I really have no interest on the Blake take... but I found interesting that Chinook mention coordination and it does help a guy to avoid fouling.

Now the Davis vs Kyle thing... I will leave Blake to keep on with his thing.

Thread Information