Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His defensive talent is undeniable
    Been advocated that for 2 years now. It's glad that others are finally seeing it. Kyle will never be an all star player. But he is a solid NBA player. And he has shown, he can run the point in the half court set as well. It was just difficult him early this year having to play next to Parker, who reverted back to his ball hogging ways earlier this year.

I want Kyle to stay with the Spurs for a long time. He is a reliable player. You can't go wrong with reliability. People just need to realize he isn't a Manu/Harden player and never will be.
    Last edited by Cowboys_Wear_Spurs; 01-26-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scores 21 points? Make a whole bunch of threes? No one was talking about those. Defend on the perimeter? Many more examples of that.

General athleticism and lateral mobility aren't the same things.
    Bertans is much more athletic that Kyle. Someone needs to post his blocks this season. But Kyle is MUCH smarter than Bertans and Bertans himself is a smart guy. Kyle is close to Duncan's level of intelligence and yes, that along with his 7'4" wingspan is why he is such an effective defender despite having below standard NBA athleticism. And yes, Kyle is a better defender than Bertans. I would only rate Kawhi and Green (when he isn't having brain farts) as consistently better defenders than Kyle on the Spurs. When Dedmon is on, he is better as well. His defense lead the comeback in Cleveland. I think that game validated Kyle's defense for a lot of people on this board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been advocated that for 2 years now. It's glad that others are finally seeing it. Kyle will never be an all star player. But he is a solid NBA player. And he has shown, he can run the point in the half court set as well. It was just difficult him early this year having to play next to Parker, who reverted back to his ball hogging ways earlier this year.

I want Kyle to stay with the Spurs for a long time. He is a reliable player. You can't go wrong with reliability. People just need to realize he isn't a Manu/Harden player and never will be.
    I always liked Kyle, but I believe that his game will only be maximized as playmaker (I repeat: he should mirror his game in dejan bodiroga)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Pop said of him after these past couple of games in which he totalled 22 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists and three blocks in two victories.

“Kyle really plays solid basketball,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “He doesn’t score a lot of points, but he rebounds, he assists, he makes steals. He plays a fine all-around game.”

What Kyle said of himself after starting the season so poor:

“I knew all along I would get it together and start playing the way I play,” Anderson said. “Tough start, but things don’t always fall your way. The only way you can go from there is up.”
    http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Anderson-making-most-of-second-chance-as-10884035.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Pop said of him after these past couple of games in which he totalled 22 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists and three blocks in two victories.

What Kyle said of himself after starting the season so poor:

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Anderson-making-most-of-second-chance-as-10884035.php
    His positives are obvious and constant.
    I'm enjoying his play right now. He still has a ways to go, but he's not being a negative, while he's on the court and he's expressing some advanced basketball skills that just makes you want more.

Maybe that's one of his (unfair) problems...
    He has skills that just demands you to want more from him.

And he's kind of slow...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ha

Ha

Ha

Ha

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing no

Get well soon, simmons

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think I've ever seen an NBA player that did not want to shoot when he was wide open. Kyle makes Diaw look like a selfish ball hog.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is way too passive........

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we can get rid of this guy, it'll be a good start.

I don't think I've ever seen an NBA player that did not want to shoot when he was wide open. Kyle makes Diaw look like a selfish ball hog.
    I'd kill for Diaw's aggressiveness on offense over Kyle's fear of shooting, and most people know I hated Diaw's passiveness.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ice009 is right about Green and Fathead, tbh..

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw hit thress in 2014. For some reason he stop shooting them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No hope for fat head, I'm afraid...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say that Kyle has improved and my opinion of his value has gone up, but I was so disappointed by his play in the last couple of minutes in our last game against the Mavs because in crunch time he passed up shots that a strong confident rotation player knows he has to take when time is running out. By this time in his development he has to show confidence in himself if he wants Pop to be confident in him at crunch time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say that Kyle has improved and my opinion of his value has gone up, but I was so disappointed by his play in the last couple of minutes in our last game against the Mavs because in crunch time he passed up shots that a strong confident rotation player knows he has to take when time is running out. By this time in his development he has to show confidence in himself if he wants Pop to be confident in him at crunch time.

Here's the problem, Bill. By "this time in his development", clock awareness and/or situational awareness is something he really shouldn't need to learn. Think about it - if he was a guy who was loaded with athleticism, and could score like a madman, but still lacked situational awareness after three years? People would be ing non-stop. But here's a guy who is notorious for being on the slow end for NBA players. He has GOT to make up for it with smart, timely play.

The funny thing is, people are ing about him not taking 3P shots, but his 3PA/36 minutes is up slightly from last year. Damn near everything else on his stat line is down from last season. His 2P% is way the down. His RB/36 are substantially down. His FTA/36 and AST/36 are all well down from last year. Three point shooting is just about the only thing he's doing better than he did in his second year.

Last season, there was this general believe that he was going to hit his stride in his third year, and really begin to shine. There was lots of talk about how he was going to earn more minutes, and be a guy that the Spurs would depend on this season. But the only way to try to make that case is to talk about things that don't show up on the stat sheet. I keep reading comments about how he's a good player, but damn near ALL of his numbers say that isn't true. Other than being slightly better at 3P shooting, there is virtually nothing on the stat sheet to indicate that he's any better than last year.

Somebody on the team has to have plusses that show up on the damn stat sheet.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's the problem, Bill. By "this time in his development", clock awareness and/or situational awareness is something he really shouldn't need to learn. Think about it - if he was a guy who was loaded with athleticism, and could score like a madman, but still lacked situational awareness after three years? People would be ing non-stop. But here's a guy who is notorious for being on the slow end for NBA players. He has GOT to make up for it with smart, timely play.

The funny thing is, people are ing about him not taking 3P shots, but his 3PA/36 minutes is up slightly from last year. Damn near everything else on his stat line is down from last season. His 2P% is way the down. His RB/36 are substantially down. His FTA/36 and AST/36 are all well down from last year. Three point shooting is just about the only thing he's doing better than he did in his second year.

Last season, there was this general believe that he was going to hit his stride in his third year, and really begin to shine. There was lots of talk about how he was going to earn more minutes, and be a guy that the Spurs would depend on this season. But the only way to try to make that case is to talk about things that don't show up on the stat sheet. I keep reading comments about how he's a good player, but damn near ALL of his numbers say that isn't true. Other than being slightly better at 3P shooting, there is virtually nothing on the stat sheet to indicate that he's any better than last year.

I thought they were being sarcastic. Fathead has been trash all year except 1 game. WTF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought they were being sarcastic. Fathead has been trash all year except 1 game. WTF.

Nah, people just KEEP talking about what a great defender he is. That's always harder to argue with, because not much of that shows up on the stat sheet, and DRTG depends a lot on the whole team. They aren't being sarcastic. But they're putting on blinders about the rest of his game. Pop has ALWAYS looked for guys who show steady year-on-year improvement. Kyle sure as hasn't done that, by any measure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He takes so few shots that his attempts are a small sample in reality. Simmons is shooting less from 2% land as well as from 3... bc he's taking more jumpshots and creating more of his offense. I believe Kyle is doing more plays off the dribble and having a crazy post up here or there that Pop calls... it's a kind of development to see if he can handle it or not. He takes so few shots that one missed post up alters his percentage dramatically.

I did expect him to make strides with his shooting... bc he shot over 40% over the summer from 3 in over 4 attempts per game and he had not done that in prior summers or even in the dleague... he looked more comfortable shooting. Sadly for whatever reason, despite his improvement as a shooter he's still reluctant to shoot.. though he's gotten pressured and has lately taken shots when he's open.

You have to take into account the spots he's played at and whether they are ideal for him or not (maybe half of his minutes came as a SG... guys played out of position are not going to play that well)... he can do it well enough to not kill you in a game and the Spurs needed bodies and so he did what he could... but he's played out of position a lot. He has lately played better bc he's played as forward (and I do believe the pressure to shoot and be more aggressive has gotten through his skull a bit).

Still he is what he is so far... and guys will not like him.. so that is fine.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fathead is trash. Dude is still reluctant to shoot a WIDE OPEN ING 3 in any type of situation much less in the clutch.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fathead is a ing CANCER on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He takes so few shots that his attempts are a small sample in reality. Simmons is shooting less from 2% land as well as from 3... bc he's taking more jumpshots and creating more of his offense. I believe Kyle is doing more plays off the dribble and having a crazy post up here or there that Pop calls... it's a kind of development to see if he can handle it or not. He takes so few shots that one missed post up alters his percentage dramatically.

I did expect him to make strides with his shooting... bc he shot over 40% over the summer from 3 in over 4 attempts per game and he had not done that in prior summers or even in the dleague... he looked more comfortable shooting. Sadly for whatever reason, despite his improvement as a shooter he's still reluctant to shoot.. though he's gotten pressured and has lately taken shots when he's open.

You have to take into account the spots he's played at and whether they are ideal for him or not (maybe half of his minutes came as a SG... guys played out of position are not going to play that well)... he can do it well enough to not kill you in a game and the Spurs needed bodies and so he did what he could... but he's played out of position a lot. He has lately played better bc he's played as forward (and I do believe the pressure to shoot and be more aggressive has gotten through his skull a bit).

Still he is what he is so far... and guys will not like him.. so that is fine.

He's played about 14 minutes per game. Last year he played 16 minutes per game. But his numbers are almost all down by more than his minutes. (That's why you look at the Per 36 stats.)

A 14 minute per game guy is getting enough minutes to analyze, after half a season. Dedmon is getting 2 minutes a game more, and Bertans is getting 3 minutes per game less. You don't have any trouble analyzing those two guys. And you don't excuse them because of "small sample" problems.

The simple fact is, Kyle hasn't progressed this year. He may not be any worse, but he really needed to be better.

As for that "hater" schtick? You can take that somewhere else. I've NEVER participated in that. Labeling anyone who criticizes or analyzes KA's play a hater is you sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending not to hear. I said that Anderson wasn't going to get significant minutes in least year's playoffs, but I really expected him to take a big step up this season. He hasn't done that. Period. That's got nothing to do with hating him.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when people were comparing him to Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here, how about this. Anderson is getting 13.7 MPG. In 13-14, Jeff Ayers got 13 minutes per game. Did anyone have any problem analyzing Ayers, and deciding that he sucked? Was that too small of a sample size?

How about we look at Kyle's numbers vs. Ayers, who was getting slightly less MPG?

FGA
    Ayers - 2.4
    KA - 2.3

TRB
    Ayers - 3.5
    KA - 2.6

AST
    Ayers - .8
    KA - 1.0

PTS
    Ayers - 4.3
    KA - 2.9

EFG% (Takes into account Kyle's "great" 3P shooting percentage)
    Ayers - .580
    KA - .480

You keep saying what a good player he is, but his numbers say he's Jeff Ayers with a big head. I don't give a if they play different positions - Kyle has the ball in his hands a of a lot more than Ayers ever did.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    O . GSH going in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's played about 14 minutes per game. Last year he played 16 minutes per game. But his numbers are almost all down by more than his minutes. (That's why you look at the Per 36 stats.)

A 14 minute per game guy is getting enough minutes to analyze, after half a season. Dedmon is getting 2 minutes a game more, and Bertans is getting 3 minutes per game less. You don't have any trouble analyzing those two guys. And you don't excuse them because of "small sample" problems.

The simple fact is, Kyle hasn't progressed this year. He may not be any worse, but he really needed to be better.

As for that "hater" schtick? You can take that somewhere else. I've NEVER participated in that. Labeling anyone who criticizes or analyzes KA's play a hater is you sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending not to hear. I said that Anderson wasn't going to get significant minutes in least year's playoffs, but I really expected him to take a big step up this season. He hasn't done that. Period. That's got nothing to do with hating him.
    I didn't label you personally a hater. There are haters in this forum though, so I made a general statement.

I am not disputing he hasn't progressed. I said I expected him to shoot more myself and he has disappointed in that respect. In fact I was majorly disappointed by it, more than anyone probably, bc I do root for the guys (the trolls don't care, or would prefer him to suck to stick to their shticks.) I genuinely wanted the guy to play better so for me him passing up shots to start the season was a major disappointment.

At this point, I realize he's never going to be a volume shooter, bc in his mind, his game he's a playmaker.. in that sense unfortunately is like Boris (and b4 you comment about the comparison)... not the same physicality in game, just the mentality, both are guys who prefer to make plays for other ppl and tend to be passive due to the mentality in their game. If you don't put him in spots where he can make plays for others, you are not taking advantage of him and I think he was thrown off his game to start due to that. Playing off Kawhi, Pau, Tony and LMA at time when they themselves were working on their own rhythm and kawhi was nearing 40% usage... that was never going to be about him and he started off poorly himself with a regression to his reluctance to shoot.

Eventually I think the Spurs did put the pressure on him to get himself going and he has had games he's made shots, shot the 3, was cutting and also when he had opportunities on the PnR as a ballhandler, he was making nice passes and decisions. But that has only been very recently and his the bulk of his minutes is still that period, so his stats were going to be skewed. Even in garbage time, the Spurs wanted to see Dejounte, who has used a lot of the possessions (almost 30%).

But I do agree, I expected him to be a more confident shooter and I think him not living up to that expectation hurts the Spurs, quite simply bc he's not as good as he could be and has not reached what ceiling he has as a player due to that and it's a symbiotic relationship... when you have one young guy that is not all that he could be, it affects the team as a whole. He's already a solid player in other areas. Him being just a bit more impactful with taking his shots helps the Spurs when he's playing, and his career as a whole. If you consider this point, you realize that we are not talking about crazy expectations for a guy.

Thread Information