Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A neuroscientist explains how Trump created a cult and radicalized its members

there is certainly a subset of them that have shown they are unconditionally loyal and would follow their leader off a cliff.

That kind of allegiance is dangerous.

When a president is seen as a messiah who is infallible,

democracy is at stake, and

the threat of authoritarianism becomes real.

For the cult member, no position is too extreme. QAnon, Dems eating babies

one well-supported psychology theory explains the essence of the phenomenon better than all the others.

That theory is called
    Terror Management Theory (TMT).

A lot of people would say that it really all boils down to racism and bigotry.

Others might make the same claim,

but more softly, arguing that
    https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/a-neuroscientist-explains-how-trump-created-a-cult-and-radicalized-its-members/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5429

afraid of losing their culture,

which is white Christian American culture.

While I believe that there is truth to these claims,

I think that the most accurate explanation goes even deeper.

TMT is based on the idea that human behavior is largely driven by our fear of death.

According to TMT, as a way of dealing with this persistent existential fear,

humans created

cultural worldviews that instill our lives with meaning and purpose,

and give us a sense of permanence.

Worldviews—like religions, national iden ies, and political ideologies—

ease our fears and distract us from the cold hard fact that we will soon be gone and forgotten.

Being an “American” provides a path to symbolic immortality,

meaning a national iden y makes people feel like they are part of something bigger that will outlive the individual.

for many Americans, nationalism and Christianity provide a moment-to-moment defense of a deep-rooted existential fear that would otherwise cause perpetual terror.

Essentially, worldviews are death-anxiety buffers.

a
    study published in 2017 by the co-founder of Terror Management Theory found that priming death-related thoughts directly increased support for Donald Trump.

The same study found that these participants viewed immigrants moving into their neighborhood as an existential threat.

These experimental findings show that fear creates aggression, and aggression creates more fear.

what fuels the bigotry and racism we are seeing with the nationalist movement that has swept much of rural America.

It is a direct result of manufactured fear and psychological manipulation.

we should view Trump loyalists differently.

They are not normal supporters,

but more akin to cult members who have been radicalized by fear.

They are, in a sense, victims.

They have been brainwashed by rigid ideologies from the time of birth,

and those ideologies have been weaponized by divisive politicians like Donald Trump.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/a-n..._campaign=5429

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    A neuroscientist explains how Trump created a cult and radicalized its members

there is certainly a subset of them that have shown they are unconditionally loyal and would follow their leader off a cliff.

That kind of allegiance is dangerous.

When a president is seen as a messiah who is infallible,

democracy is at stake, and

the threat of authoritarianism becomes real.

For the cult member, no position is too extreme. QAnon, Dems eating babies

one well-supported psychology theory explains the essence of the phenomenon better than all the others.

That theory is called
    Terror Management Theory (TMT).

A lot of people would say that it really all boils down to racism and bigotry.

Others might make the same claim,

but more softly, arguing that
    https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/a-neuroscientist-explains-how-trump-created-a-cult-and-radicalized-its-members/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5429

afraid of losing their culture,

which is white Christian American culture.

While I believe that there is truth to these claims,

I think that the most accurate explanation goes even deeper.

TMT is based on the idea that human behavior is largely driven by our fear of death.

According to TMT, as a way of dealing with this persistent existential fear,

humans created

cultural worldviews that instill our lives with meaning and purpose,

and give us a sense of permanence.

Worldviews—like religions, national iden ies, and political ideologies—

ease our fears and distract us from the cold hard fact that we will soon be gone and forgotten.

Being an “American” provides a path to symbolic immortality,

meaning a national iden y makes people feel like they are part of something bigger that will outlive the individual.

for many Americans, nationalism and Christianity provide a moment-to-moment defense of a deep-rooted existential fear that would otherwise cause perpetual terror.

Essentially, worldviews are death-anxiety buffers.

a
    study published in 2017 by the co-founder of Terror Management Theory found that priming death-related thoughts directly increased support for Donald Trump.

The same study found that these participants viewed immigrants moving into their neighborhood as an existential threat.

These experimental findings show that fear creates aggression, and aggression creates more fear.

what fuels the bigotry and racism we are seeing with the nationalist movement that has swept much of rural America.

It is a direct result of manufactured fear and psychological manipulation.

we should view Trump loyalists differently.

They are not normal supporters,

but more akin to cult members who have been radicalized by fear.

They are, in a sense, victims.

They have been brainwashed by rigid ideologies from the time of birth,

and those ideologies have been weaponized by divisive politicians like Donald Trump.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/a-n..._campaign=5429

Trump didn't create the cult, the GOP did. Trump's success came after 30 years of the Republican Party telling uneducated white people their lives were ty because of minorities, gays, atheists, and rich people having to pay taxes. Trump's rhetoric delivers the same message that mainstream GOP rhetoric delivers, it just does so in a much more direct and blunt way that "moderate" Republicans like Rick Wilson can't justify supporting.

All Trump is is a symptom of 21st century conservative politics. If the Lincoln Project heads were being honest with themselves they'd know that each one of them led us down the slippery slope to Trump's America.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    hater firmly moves his goalpost to listening to 18 entire taped interviews.
    He's fully transitioned to the hnest brker stage of Trumpism

"I've studied the tapes and I objectively don't see anything wrong in my honest broker capacity"

Only step remaining is going full blown Trump .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump has canceled today's trip to Michigan so he can spin/deny this new stuff at a press briefing today.

I absolutely love it. He's lost focus instead of campaining.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will hear the full tapes and make a call on it. But so far have heard bits and pieces and dont see much tbqh. Fauci homself said masks are bad for months possibly killing lots of americans. So so far I dont see many democrats condemning fauci.

So far this seems like a partisan nothing chesse bacon burger tbqh
    anti American hater defending its destroyer.

called it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh I said I will hear the tapes(hopefully). Only listened to bits tbqh

Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

called it
    Lol lemming spursdumber

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh I said I will hear the tapes(hopefully). Only listened to bits tbqh

Lol
    What makes you think all 18 taped interviews are available to you?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

called it
    Tbh, Hater is not an American and most people from other countries do think very little of us.

We act superior in every way when in reality are the most re ed country in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, Hater is not an American and most people from other countries do think very little of us.

We act superior in every way when in reality are the most re ed country in the world.
    Sadly I am american n8g. Naturalized. And sadly I agree w u

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Trump has canceled today's trip to Michigan so he can spin/deny this new stuff at a press briefing today.

I absolutely love it. He's lost focus instead of campaining.
    I'm sure the people who camped overnight in rainy weather to see him are thrilled

Trump is back to being the basement

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Trump didn't create the cult, the GOP did. Trump's success came after 30 years of the Republican Party telling uneducated white people their lives were ty because of minorities, gays, atheists, and rich people having to pay taxes. Trump's rhetoric delivers the same message that mainstream GOP rhetoric delivers, it just does so in a much more direct and blunt way that "moderate" Republicans like Rick Wilson can't justify supporting.

All Trump is is a symptom of 21st century conservative politics. If the Lincoln Project heads were being honest with themselves they'd know that each one of them led us down the slippery slope to Trump's America.
    Populism in Western Civilization. Same occurring from Australia to Germany.

75 years of liberalism spawned this

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another talking point in defense of Trash's criminal negligent manslaughter, already heard in many places

Megan McCann on The View is blaming the Dems for Trash not protecting America

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP voter registrations surge in key battleground state
    Republicans in Pennsylvania have added almost 198,000 registered voters, according to report

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    another talking point in defense of Trash's criminal negligent manslaughter, already heard in many places

Megan McCann on The View is blaming the Dems for Trash not protecting America
    What makes her know anything ?
    What are her qualifications ?
    Her daddy was to busy flying back and forth to watch dbacks play then to teach her anything
    Except for to get China to pay for life

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Republicans in Pennsylvania have added almost 198,000 registered voters, according to report
    198,000? Oh, the Americans Trump killed.

Got it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill Barr Says Insulting a Rape Accuser Was Part of Trump’s Official Duties

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/09/...t%20Newsletter

insulting, lying, slandering, All The Best Presidents Do It

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The GOP has added almost 198,000 registered voters to the books compared to this time four years ago, whereas Democrats have gained an extra 29,000. Though Democrats still outnumber Republicans by about 750,000 voters in the state
    You can always trace Duck's "posts" back to an article because he copy/pastes them instead of using his own words.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ylvania-411232

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Ducks unknowingly defending the Democrats thank you for your stupidity.
    Lol

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol lemming spursdumber
    lol anti American hater relishing in the fall of America, and defending the party of Trump, because he knows he will finish off the work he started Putin

called it

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thats the key tenant to maga and keep America great.

and read hater’s schtick. He loathes this country, only here because of what it can do for him. He touts defends Assad a d and Putin.

he loves Trump for what he does to fortify their standing, and diminish America.

He may think he’s some sort of citizen of the world. He’s nothing more than an anti american dictator ball washer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can always trace Duck's "posts" back to an article because he copy/pastes them instead of using his own words.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ylvania-411232
    do you really think he is capable of using his own words? chris can’t either.

if you guys wouldn’t have given spurtacular some buzzwords to use, he wouldn’t be able to either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol anti American hater relishing in the fall of America, and defending the party of Trump, because he knows he will finish off the work he started Putin

called it
    You believe in WMDs and Novichok failed poisonings that would take us closer to war. Why do YOU hate america ma nig?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You believe in WMDs and Novichok failed poisonings that would take us closer to war. Why do YOU hate america ma nig?

you believe in projecting arguments not made to deflect attention away from hatred of America, and love of brutal dictators in order to defend your desire to see America fail?

Why do you hate America? Start there. Then we can talk about the rest.

Thread Information