Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The House insurrection committee has painted Trump into a corner where the courts won't save him

the move by the committee to get phone records from lawmakers and members of the Trump's family is evidence of a "classic investigative technique" and the former president has few legal avenues to stop them.

recent rulings by the courts in matters involving Trump and secrecy have not gone in his favor.

Garland have already declared that executive privilege no longer applies and that officials called before the committee can be expected to comply.

"The administration has waived executive privilege and allowed former Trump administration officials to provide testimony to Congress about the ex-president's attacks on the 2020 election and its certification,"

"The US Department of Justice correctly reasoned that the

'extraordinary events in this matter cons ute exceptional cir stances

.. [and]
    the congressional need for information outweighs the Executive Branch's interest in maintaining confidentiality.'"

Trump could go to court and seek an injunction, arguing that he's the owner of the privilege.

But the tenor of the law makes it likely that he would lose --

which may be why Trump did not attempt to stop those former officials from testifying in the first place."

The problem for the former president is that

the one person who could help him out would be President Joe Biden -- an unlikely occurrence.

https://www.rawstory.com/house-insurrection-committee

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Country is in 'desperate trouble' if Biden and Garland won't go after Trump

The Jim Crow Republican Party and larger neofascist movement are escalating their war on democracy by passing laws across the country designed to stop Black and brown people from voting.

for the first time since the peak of the Jim Crow era, states across the country began to enact laws making it more difficult to vote.

was, at least in part, a backlash against rising turnout among communities of color contributing to the election of the nation's first Black president.

Efforts to suppress the votes of communities of color accelerated in 2013,

when the Supreme Court gutted a key part of the Voting Rights Act in Shelby County v. Holder.

In the eight years since, and especially in 2020, these trends continued.

Fascist violence continues unabated. In Portland, Oregon,

Police did not intervene, which is not entirely surprising given that America's police have long supported fascists and other right-wing extremists.

America's political ins utions have shown themselves to be greatly weakened in the battle against Trumpism and the larger neofascist movement.

A series of recent Supreme Court decisions have been made by fiat through what is known as the "shadow docket" process.

Instead of acting as a final check against fascism and authoritarianism and other abuses of power,

the right-wing justices of the Supreme Court have proven willing to restrict Joe Biden's presidential powers in ways they refused to do under the Trump regime.

It is putting a fist on the scales of justice in favor of the far right. This is by design: Donald Trump and the Jim Crow Republicans packed the court, essentially for that purpose.
    "The Taliban, all of them together, plus every Al Qaeda fighter in the world, do not pose the threat to the United States that Trump or Trumpist extremists do."

The Taliban and Al Qaeda are among the most vile, dangerous violent extremist organizations in the world.

They do not, however, pose an existential threat to the United States or our way of life.

Trump and his supporters have, with support of one of America's most dangerous enemies, actively sought to undermine democracy in America.

The coup attempt on January 6th and the propagation of the Big Lie are an example of this.

Their efforts to suppress the vote are an example of this.

Trump's active obstruction of justice is an example of this.

Should they succeed,

democracy in America will be gutted,

our way of life ended,

our values undermined and

our standing in the world destroyed.

President Biden and Attorney General Merrick Garland are not acting with the necessary urgency.

Laurence Tribe, ...

We need to begin with the fundamental precept that not all crimes are created equal.

Those crimes — regardless of who allegedly commits them —

whose very aim is to overturn a fair election whereby our tradition of peaceful, lawful succession from one administration to the next takes place —

a tradition begun by George Washington, continued by John Adams, and

preserved by every president since except Donald Trump — are impossible to tolerate if we are to survive as a cons utional republic. …

Trump's relentlessness has laid bare the defects in many of those accountability mechanisms.

Now Garland stands as the final line of defense for our cons utional democracy.

No prior attorney general has confronted so daunting a challenge.

For what might be the first time in his life and what will surely be the last,

Garland could hold the future of the last best hope on earth in his hands.

he also reflected on how the current political crisis,

in conjunction with the coronavirus pandemic and other problems,

has caused many Americans to sink into a state of exhaustion, and an almost total withdrawal from politics.

Tribe warned that such feelings represent a form of defeatism that

will end in surrender to the neofascists.

Garland and the Department of Justice have (at least to this point) not attempted to prosecute Donald Trump and his confederates for their apparent crimes against democracy and the rule of law – and warned that

not to do so would be a critical mistake, potentially fatal to the future of America's democratic project.

Americans are coping with this by withdrawing into their personal lives, the core self.

They can take care of the parts of their lives they have control over, and

try to forget about the threats to democracy.

That is what fascists and authoritarians count on —

indifference by everybody except those that

they have successfully riled up and fomented into violence and anger.

The only way to overcome this is by making a convincing case that there have been so many times in history where one person has made a difference.

the American people should not assume that because we know nothing about investigations into the role of Mo Brooks and Rudy Giuliani and Donald Trump himself in fomenting the insurrection that there is not in fact a grand jury looking into those matters.

what I'm saying to Merrick Garland is: Wake up! You've got to do something to hold this man accountable.

Donald Trump has never denied, that he said to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, "Just find me 11,780 votes." To me that is compelling proof that Trump was essentially trying to erase his legitimate loss by creating votes that were not his. That is stealing the election.

Donald Trump has never denied, that he said to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, "Just find me 11,780 votes." To me that is compelling proof that Trump was essentially trying to erase his legitimate loss by creating votes that were not his. That is stealing the election.

that is proof of corrupt intent beyond reasonable doubt. It is also proof of a plan to take over the country without legitimately winning. That's a crime.

If anyone worries about destroying the ins ution of the presidency, I would say that when the presidency has been transformed into an autocracy and a veritable dictatorship, it has already been destroyed.

If anyone thinks that the presidency will be dangerously weakened by saying that a president who tries to bring down his own government and steal the next election should not be able to do that, then there's something wrong with them.

It was an unbroken tradition, but it was one that I think people who have been serious about preserving the country and the Cons ution have realized was quite fragile and could be destroyed at any time.

With Donald Trump we have now seen someone who tried his damnedest to destroy that tradition. It almost succeeded.

There is now a substantial cadre of an entire major political party, the Republicans, who are trying to whitewash the past, rewrite history and claim that they are the true patriots.

They want to claim that theirs is the "real" Cons ution, and

those of us who believe that the American people should choose who leads them are misguided and crazy.

https://www.alternet.org/2021/08/trump-garland/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TDS still strong

tee, hee

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump wants 10 GOP lawmakers gone.

After mobs of angry Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6,

10 Republicans joined House Democrats to impeach President Donald Trump for his role in inciting the violence.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...y-prove-tricky

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump-Backed Audits Make Elections 'Wide Open' to Future Fraud, Experts Warn

"The door is now wide open," Hursti told The Guardian. "The only question is, how do you sneak in the door?"

an election technology expert, told the publication that

the disclosure of the software could allow hackers to adjust results and sabotage the system,

or inspire ballot design changes to make that easier.

"This disclosure increases both the likelihood that something happens and the impact of what would happen if it does,"

you should assume this information is already out there. Now we know it is, and we don't know what [hackers] are going to do with it,"

when the audit began in Arizona,

concerns were raised about the security of

the election systems and ballots of Maricopa County after they were transferred into the custody of Senate Republicans and Cyber Ninjas.

Video by Arizona's Family Investigates showed security lapses that suggested the election systems and ballots could be easily compromised.

people, in the pursuit of trying to show the system is insecure, are actually making it more insecure,"

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-backe...s-warn-1624026

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TDS? you trivial, treacherous, ignorant mother er

the derangement is you supporters of Trash, not in the people opposed to Trash, Repugs, You People's project of FASCISM

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trump-Backed Audits Make Elections 'Wide Open' to Future Fraud, Experts Warn

"The door is now wide open," Hursti told The Guardian. "The only question is, how do you sneak in the door?"

an election technology expert, told the publication that

the disclosure of the software could allow hackers to adjust results and sabotage the system,

or inspire ballot design changes to make that easier.

"This disclosure increases both the likelihood that something happens and the impact of what would happen if it does,"

you should assume this information is already out there. Now we know it is, and we don't know what [hackers] are going to do with it,"

when the audit began in Arizona,

concerns were raised about the security of

the election systems and ballots of Maricopa County after they were transferred into the custody of Senate Republicans and Cyber Ninjas.

Video by Arizona's Family Investigates showed security lapses that suggested the election systems and ballots could be easily compromised.

people, in the pursuit of trying to show the system is insecure, are actually making it more insecure,"

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-backe...s-warn-1624026
    - "Promises, promises."

- Ernie "The Cat" Ladd

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TDS still strong

tee, hee
    Yeah in the red party as well.
    They cant shake him.
    Even Mitch treads lightly.

Snake wants that 2024 orange running down his pants.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah in the red party as well.
    They cant shake him.
    Even Mitch treads lightly.

Snake wants that 2024 orange running down his pants.
    Mitch has never been vested, peeg. He wants Trump to go away, far away and can't wait till he does, so everything is back like it was before Trump won.

The s.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitch has never been vested, peeg. He wants Trump to go away, far away and can't wait till he does, so everything is back like it was before Trump won.

The s.
    So we might have people in govt not worrying about their viewership compared to MNF?

Im good.
    Hes gone.
    Like Trump would give a about people like you.
    Just so you could feel revenge?
    You have zero in common.
    He has never ever been in anything like your shoes.
    This worship for an entertainer... born with a daddy to save him at every step.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So we might have people in govt not worrying about their viewership compared to MNF?

Im good.
    Hes gone.
    Like Trump would give a about people like you.
    Just so you could feel revenge?
    You have zero in common.
    He has never ever been in anything like your shoes.
    This worship for an entertainer... born with a daddy to save him at every step.
    I don't need him to love me, peeg. My love and devotion for him is without condition, or, reciprocation. That's the beauty of it and I am at peace with it, and trust me, getting me to be at peace with anything ain't easy.

My daddy saved me a few...well, more than a few times. That's what daddy's are for. It's the shared blood.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'We did a great job on Covid':

Trump claims he 'saved millions of people' in lie-filled Fox Business rant

https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-stuart-varney

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

WATCH: Trump unspools wild rant about circles and stairs to explain his election loss

Trump went on at length to complain that

his occasional difficulty with
    stairswas covered far more than an instance where Biden stumbled on his way onto Air Force One.

"When he fell up the stairs, fell up the stairs three times, it was not on any program," Trump said.

"If that was me, it would have been the biggest story for months, career-ending.

It was never on the media, never on mainstream media, his trip.

It's okay, you can trip.

Gerald Ford tripped, never lived it down.

I would go very carefully down the stairs, I don't want to trip.

You don't live it down with these people.

With him they never put it on."

Trump then claimed he couldn't have lost the election because his rally crowds were bigger than Biden,

whose events were purposefully
    limited to prevent public exposure to COVID-19.

https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-oan

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sen. Ron Johnson secretly recorded telling a cons uent the truth about the Big Lie

video of Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin admitting there was no election fraud going on in Wisconsin during the 2020 elections.

Johnson says the GOP did better than they ever have in Wisconsin, and that

even though Trump did better than previous GOP candidates,

he didn’t do well enough to overcome Biden.

“The only reason Donald Trump lost Wisconsin is that 51,000 Republican voters didn’t vote for him.

They voted for Republican candidates.” same in AZ

look at the totals. it’s certainly plausible there’s nothing obviously skewed about the results.” And then, very matter-of-factly, he adds, “There isn’t.”

if Trump had gotten all of the votes that went to Republicans in House races in Wisconsin, “he would have won.”

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2049414

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump suggests ‘robber’ Biden has to give him back the White House in latest election conspiracy rant

... suggesting he was "robbed" of a second term and that President Joe Biden should be forced to give him back the White House.

Trump claimed he was winning several swings states

"by a tremendous number — and all of a sudden, it got wiped out." WHICH states?

"They ( who? where? )

have all of this incredible evidence (of election fraud)," he added, falsely.

"Does this mean we have to keep the people that cheated for another three-and-a-half years?

Because we're not going to have a country left, I can tell you that.

We won't have a country left."

https://www.alternet.org/2021/08/trump-biden-white-house/
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-31-2021 at 08:45 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FBI hate crime reports e to 12-year high in 2020

over 10,000 people reporting offences related to their race, gender, sexuality, religion or disability.

crimes against Asian and black Americans in particular surged last year.

Reports were up 70% and 40% among both groups, respectively, with black people being the most targeted group overall.

Hate crimes have increased in the US almost ever year since 2014.

As law enforcement groups are not mandated to submit hate crime data to the FBI, the numbers in the annual report

is likely an undercount.

In addition, local prosecutors may differ in what is charged as a hate crime.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58402839

Trump's AmeriKKKa

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    FBI hate crime reports e to 12-year high in 2020

over 10,000 people reporting offences related to their race, gender, sexuality, religion or disability.

crimes against Asian and black Americans in particular surged last year.

Reports were up 70% and 40% among both groups, respectively, with black people being the most targeted group overall.

Hate crimes have increased in the US almost ever year since 2014.

As law enforcement groups are not mandated to submit hate crime data to the FBI, the numbers in the annual report

is likely an undercount.

In addition, local prosecutors may differ in what is charged as a hate crime.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58402839

Trump's AmeriKKKa
    Black on Black crime is always a stalwart. It's just their way.

The Asian increase is due to the Wuhan Virus.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trump suggests ‘robber’ Biden has to give him back the White House in latest election conspiracy rant

... suggesting he was "robbed" of a second term and that President Joe Biden should be forced to give him back the White House.

Trump claimed he was winning several swings states

"by a tremendous number — and all of a sudden, it got wiped out." WHICH states?

"They ( who? where? )

have all of this incredible evidence (of election fraud)," he added, falsely.

"Does this mean we have to keep the people that cheated for another three-and-a-half years?

Because we're not going to have a country left, I can tell you that.

We won't have a country left."

https://www.alternet.org/2021/08/trump-biden-white-house/
    Keeps ya's on the run, keep ya's snortin'.
    Let us proceed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - "Promises, promises."

- Ernie "The Cat" Ladd
    Hee hee promise i got a present for ya.

The number of US troops who died in war zones rose in 2017, the first year of Donald Trump’s presidency, for the first time in six years. As of Dec. 28, at least 33 military personnel had been killed in war zones overseas

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hee hee promise i got a present for ya.

The number of US troops who died in war zones rose in 2017, the first year of Donald Trump’s presidency, for the first time in six years. As of Dec. 28, at least 33 military personnel had been killed in war zones overseas
    Don't try and get even, Mult. Take your medicine. You were this||close and blew it late with the 13 children coming back thru Dover, where dum-dum looked at his watch.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still Lying: Trump Claims Afghan Departure Left '$85 Billion' In Weapons

Trump claimed that the Taliban — now in control of Afghanistan — has seized $83 billion worth of U.S. weapons. But that claim has been fact-checked and refuted by the Washington Post's Glenn Kessler.

Trump failed to mention, of course, that the Biden Administration was following the Trump/Mike Pompeo plan for withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan, although at a slower pace.

A version of this claim also circulates widely on right-leaning social media

no one really knows the value of the equipment that was seized by the Taliban."

the $83 million figure "comes from an estimate in the July 30 quarterly report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) for all spending on the Afghanistan Security Forces Fund since the U.S. invasion in 2001."

U.S. military equipment was given to Afghan security forces over two decades. Tanks, vehicles, helicopters and other gear fell into the hands of the Taliban when the U.S.-trained force quickly collapsed

The equipment portion of that total is about $24 billion — certainly not small change — but the actual value of the equipment in the Taliban's hands is probably much less than even that amount."

https://www.nationalmemo.com/trump-afghanistan-weapons-left-behind-

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Still Lying: Trump Claims Afghan Departure Left '$85 Billion' In Weapons

Trump claimed that the Taliban — now in control of Afghanistan — has seized $83 billion worth of U.S. weapons. But that claim has been fact-checked and refuted by the Washington Post's Glenn Kessler.

Trump failed to mention, of course, that the Biden Administration was following the Trump/Mike Pompeo plan for withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan, although at a slower pace.

A version of this claim also circulates widely on right-leaning social media

no one really knows the value of the equipment that was seized by the Taliban."

the $83 million figure "comes from an estimate in the July 30 quarterly report by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) for all spending on the Afghanistan Security Forces Fund since the U.S. invasion in 2001."

U.S. military equipment was given to Afghan security forces over two decades. Tanks, vehicles, helicopters and other gear fell into the hands of the Taliban when the U.S.-trained force quickly collapsed

The equipment portion of that total is about $24 billion — certainly not small change — but the actual value of the equipment in the Taliban's hands is probably much less than even that amount."

https://www.nationalmemo.com/trump-afghanistan-weapons-left-behind-
    President Trump is just trying to get under your & mother er Biden's skin, bouts. Don't let him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judge tosses Trump rollback of clean water safeguards

A federal judge has thrown out a Trump-era rule that ended federal protections for hundreds of thousands of small streams, wetlands and other waterways and left them vulnerable to pollution from nearby development.

environmental groups, Native American tribes and others said it could lead to the loss of wetlands, damage wildlife habitat and allow businesses and farmers to pollute waterways.

the (Trump kakistorcratic) Environmental Protection Agency had ignored its own findings that small waterways can affect the well-being of the larger waterways they flow into.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...r-16426305.php

Thread Information