Page 18 of 1660 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228681185181018 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    So what media do you read for the truth?
    Fox News.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For what is a man, what has he got
    If not himself then he has naught
    To say the things he truly feels
    And not the words of one who kneels

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Trump tracking down on illegals. yeah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's freeing up those fruit picking and landscape labor jobs. You'll be employed in no time.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He should go after illegals on welfare. Now those people are a waste of taxpayers money.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For what is a man, what has he got
    If not himself then he has naught
    To say the things he truly feels
    And not the words of one who kneels

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

fake news?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

fake news?
    It's nothing more than a tool that Trump uses to his benefit, long term benefit. He's banked this fire not just for [today], but, for all the days to come. It tamps down wrong doing, or, the mere thought of wrong doing. This can only aid Trump. He needs every single vote he can garner. Most importantly he needs to shed every single opposition vote, especially if it's illegal.

He'll keep these embers active throughout his Presidency.

President Trump

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    + Inauguration Day:::Trump talked about us, Splits. About blacks, whites and browns. And the color of American blood. And about how the men behind him had raped us. How Clinton, Bush, and Obama had stolen our money.

You didn't hear any of that though. Media was screaming as loud as they could so you wouldn't/couldn't hear. The status quo must be maintained.

You have to be out of your ing mind not to see & hear it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's nothing more than a tool that Trump uses to his benefit, long term benefit. He's banked this fire not just for [today], but, for all the days to come. It tamps down wrong doing, or, the mere thought of wrong doing. This can only aid Trump. He needs every single vote he can garner. Most importantly he needs to shed every single opposition vote, especially if it's illegal.

He'll keep these embers active throughout his Presidency.

President Trump
    fake news

+ Inauguration Day:::Trump talked about us, Splits. About blacks, whites and browns. And the color of American blood. And about how the men behind him had raped us. How Clinton, Bush, and Obama had stolen our money.

You didn't hear any of that though. Media was screaming as loud as they could so you wouldn't/couldn't hear. The status quo must be maintained.

You have to be out of your ing mind not to see & hear it.
    fake news

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    fake news

fake news
    lmcontrollinao!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

real news

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

real news
    Pussy grabbing outfit. The pink, gets him "the pink" ...wink, wink

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense. And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable—what then?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Democrats still clinging on things President Trump said a long time ago.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense. And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable—what then?
    ...You tote up the ciphers as the midnite hour passes...

Trump: 1

Hillary: 0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...You tote up the ciphers as the midnite hour passes...

Trump: 1

Hillary: 0
    Sanity is not statistical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to start with Trump’s lies. It’s now a commonplace that Trump and his underlings tell whoppers. Fact-checkers have never had it so good. But all politicians lie. Bill Clinton could barely go a day without some shading or parsing of the truth. Richard Nixon was famously tricky. But all the traditional political fibbers nonetheless paid some deference to the truth — even as they were dodging it. They acknowledged a shared reality and bowed to it. They acknowledged the need for a common set of facts in order for a liberal democracy to function at all. Trump’s lies are different. They are direct refutations of reality — and their propagation and repe ion is about enforcing his power rather than wriggling out of a political conundrum. They are attacks on the very possibility of a reasoned discourse, the kind of bald-faced lies that authoritarians issue as a way to test loyalty and force their subjects into submission. That first press conference when Sean er was sent out to lie and fulminate to the press about the inauguration crowd reminded me of some Soviet apparatchik having his loyalty tested to see if he could repeat in public what he knew to be false. It was comical, but also faintly chilling.What do I mean by denial of empirical reality? Take one of the most recent. On Wednesday, Senator Richard Blumenthal related the news that Judge Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s nominee for the long-vacant Supreme Court seat, had told him that the president’s unprecedented, personal attacks on federal judges were “disheartening” and “demoralizing.” Within half an hour, this was confirmed by Gorsuch’s White House–appointed spokesman, who was present for the conversation. CNN also reported that Senator Ben Sasse had heard Gorsuch say exactly the same thing, with feeling, as did former senator Kelly Ayotte.

The president nonetheless insisted twice yesterday that Blumenthal had misrepresented his conversation with Gorsuch — first in an early morning tweet and then, once again, yesterday afternoon, in front of the television cameras. To add to the insanity, he also tweeted that in a morning interview, Chris Cuomo had never challenged Blumenthal on his lies about his service in Vietnam — when the tape clearly shows it was the first thing Cuomo brought up.

What are we supposed to do with this? How are we to respond to a president who in the same week declared that the “murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 45 to 47 years,” when, of course, despite some recent, troubling es in cities, it’s nationally near a low not seen since the late 1960s, and half what it was in 1980. What are we supposed to do when a president says that two people were shot dead in Chicago during President Obama’s farewell address — when this is directly contradicted by the Chicago police? None of this, moreover, is ever corrected. No error is ever admitted. Any lie is usually doubled down by another lie — along with an ad hominem attack.

Here is what we are supposed to do: rebut every single lie. Insist moreover that each lie is retracted — and journalists in press conferences should back up their colleagues with repeated follow-ups if er tries to duck the plain truth. Do not allow them to move on to another question. Interviews with the president himself should not leave a lie alone; the interviewer should press and press and press until the lie is conceded. The press must not be afraid of even calling the president a liar to his face if he persists. This requires no particular courage. I think, in contrast, of those dissidents whose critical insistence on simple truth in plain language kept reality alive in the Kafkaesque world of totalitarianism. As the Polish dissident Adam Michnik once said: “In the life of every honorable man comes a difficult moment … when the simple statement that this is black and that is white requires paying a high price.” The price Michnik paid was years in prison. American journalists cannot risk a little access or a nasty tweet for the same essential civic duty?

Then there is the obvious question of the president’s mental and psychological health. I know we’re not supposed to bring this up — but it is staring us brutally in the face. I keep asking myself this simple question: If you came across someone in your everyday life who repeatedly said fantastically and demonstrably untrue things, what would you think of him? If you showed up at a neighbor’s, say, and your host showed you his newly painted living room, which was a deep blue, and then insisted repeatedly — manically — that it was a lovely shade of scarlet, what would your reaction be? If he then dragged out a member of his family and insisted she repeat this obvious untruth in front of you, how would you respond? If the next time you dropped by, he was still raving about his gorgeous new red walls, what would you think? Here’s what I’d think: This man is off his rocker. He’s deranged; he’s bizarrely living in an alternative universe; he’s delusional. If he kept this up, at some point you’d excuse yourself and edge slowly out of the room and the house and never return. You’d warn your other neighbors. You’d keep your distance. If you saw him, you’d be polite but keep your distance.

I think this is a fundamental reason why so many of us have been so unsettled, anxious, and near panic these past few months. It is not so much this president’s agenda. That always changes from administration to administration. It is that when the linchpin of an entire country is literally delusional, clinically deceptive, and responds to any attempt to correct the record with rage and vengeance, everyone is always on edge.

There is no anchor any more. At the core of the administration of the most powerful country on earth, there is, instead, madness.

With someone like this barging into your consciousness every hour of every day, you begin to get a glimpse of what it must be like to live in an autocracy of some kind. Every day in countries unfortunate enough to be ruled by a lone dictator, people are constantly subjected to the Supreme Leader’s presence, in their homes, in their workplaces, as they walk down the street. Big Brother never leaves you alone. His face bears down on you on every flickering screen. He begins to permeate your psyche and soul; he dominates every news cycle and issues pronouncements — each one shocking and destabilizing — round the clock. He delights in constantly provoking and surprising you, so that his monstrous ego can be perennially fed. And because he is also mentally unstable, forever lashing out in manic spasms of pain and anger, you live each day with some measure of trepidation. What will he come out with next? Somehow, he is never in control of himself and yet he is always in control of you.

One of the great achievements of free society in a stable democracy is that many people, for much of the time, need not think about politics at all. The president of a free country may dominate the news cycle many days — but he is not omnipresent — and because we live under the rule of law, we can afford to turn the news off at times. A free society means being free of those who rule over you — to do the things you care about, your passions, your pastimes, your loves — to exult in that blessed space where politics doesn’t intervene. In that sense, it seems to me, we already live in a country with markedly less freedom than we did a month ago. It’s less like living in a democracy than being a child trapped in a house where there is an abusive and unpredictable father, who will brook no reason, respect no counter-argument, admit no error, and always, always up the ante until catastrophe inevitably strikes. This is what I mean by the idea that we are living through an emergency.
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ng-donald.html

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Sanity is not statistical.
    First one to win the last game played in June is Champion.
    First one to 270 is Champion.

There is nothing else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First one to win the last game played in June is Champion.
    First one to 270 is Champion.

There is nothing else.
    Wrong.

One has no obligation afterwards except the parade.

The other, well...

Thread Information