Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was There a Connection Between a Russian Bank and the Trump Campaign?

A team of computer scientists sifted through records of unusual Web traffic in search of answers.

“We thought there was no way in the world the Russians would just attack the Democrats,” one of the computer scientists, who asked to be identified only as Max, told me.

“People think the Internet runs on its own,” Max told me. “It doesn’t. We do this to keep the Internet safe.”

The hack of the D.N.C. seemed like a pernicious attack on the integrity of the Web, as well as on the American political system.

The scientists decided to investigate whether any Republicans had been hacked, too. “We were trying to protect them,” Max said.

As Max and his colleagues searched D.N.S. logs for domains associated with Republican candidates, they were perplexed by what they encountered.

“We went looking for fingerprints similar to what was on the D.N.C. computers, but we didn’t find what we were looking for,” Max told me.

“We found something totally different—something unique.”

The server that housed the domain belonged to a company called Listrak, which mostly helped deliver mass-marketing e-mails:

the one that Max and his colleagues spotted appeared not to be sending anything. At the same time, though, a very small group of companies seemed to be trying to communicate with it.

Examining records for the Trump domain,

Max’s group discovered D.N.S. lookups from a pair of servers owned by Alfa Bank, one of the largest banks in Russia.

Alfa Bank’s computers were looking up the address of the Trump server nearly every day. There were dozens of lookups on some days and far fewer on others, but the total number was notable:

between May and September, Alfa Bank looked up the Trump Organization’s domain more than two thousand times.

“We were watching this happen in real time—it was like watching an airplane fly by,” Max said. “And we thought,

Why the is a Russian bank communicating with a server that belongs to the Trump Organization, and at such a rate?”

Only one other en y seemed to be reaching out to the Trump Organization’s domain with any frequency:

Spectrum Health, of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Spectrum Health is closely linked to the DeVos family;

Richard DeVos, Jr., is the chairman of the board,

Mueller has been looking into Prince’s meeting, following the election, with a Russian official in the Seyc es, at which he reportedly discussed setting up a back channel between Trump and the Russian President, Vladimir Putin. (

Why was the Trump Organization’s domain, set up to send mass-marketing e-mails, conducting such meagre activity?

And why were computers at Alfa Bank and Spectrum Health trying to reach a server that didn’t seem to be doing anything? After analyzing the data, Max said,

“We decided this was a covert communication channel.”

he and his lawyer decided to hand over the findings to Eric Lichtblau, of the Times. Lichtblau met with Max, and began to look at the data.

Lichtblau shared the data with three leading computer scientists, and, like Max, they were struck by the unusual traffic on the server.

As Lichtblau talked to experts, he became increasingly convinced that the data suggested a substantive connection.

“Not only is there clearly something there but there’s clearly something that someone has gone to great lengths to conceal,”

“These people who should not be communicating are clearly communicating,”

the Bureau had intelligence from informants suggesting a possible connection between the Trump Organization and Russian banks, but no data.

It was very important to the Bureau. It was urgent.”

For four days, the servers at Alfa Bank kept trying to look up the Trump domain. Then, ten minutes after the last attempt, one of them looked up another domain, which had been configured to lead to the same Trump Organization server.

He reasoned that someone representing Alfa Bank had alerted the Trump Organization, which shut down the domain, set up another one, and then informed Alfa Bank of the new address.

This March, after

Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee announced that it had found no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia,

the committee’s Democrats filed a dissent, arguing that

there were many matters still to be investigated, including the Trump Organization’s connections to Alfa Bank.

The Democrats implored the majority to force Cendyn to turn over computer data that would help determine what had happened.

Those records could show who in the Trump Organization used the server.

There would probably also be a record of who shut down the Trump domain after the Times contacted Alfa Bank.

Cendyn might have records of any outgoing communications sent by the Trump Organization. But the request for further investigation is unlikely to proceed as long as Republicans hold the majority.

“We’ve all looked at the data, and it doesn’t look right,” a congressional staffer told me. “But how do you get to the truth?”

The enigma, for now, remains an enigma.

The only people likely to finally resolve the question of Alfa Bank and the Trump Organization are federal investigators.

Max told me that no one in his group had been contacted. But, he said, it wasn’t necessary for anyone in the F.B.I. to talk to him, if the agents gathered the right information from other sources, like Listrak and Cendyn.

“I hope Mueller has all of it,” he said. ♦

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...UwMDYyNDg3MAS2

the article explains that email "foldering" may have been done by RNC, Trash's mafiya, Russian bnak, just like Manafort and Flynn hid their criminal communications with email
    "foldering"

it sounds like "foldering" is preparing an email but not sending it, so it remains in the "drafts" folder where access has been granted to other people.

Doesn't the NSA have all the above DNS metadata and data?

Last edited by boutons_deux; 10-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Was There a Connection Between a Russian Bank and the Trump Campaign?

A team of computer scientists sifted through records of unusual Web traffic in search of answers.

“We thought there was no way in the world the Russians would just attack the Democrats,” one of the computer scientists, who asked to be identified only as Max, told me.

“People think the Internet runs on its own,” Max told me. “It doesn’t. We do this to keep the Internet safe.”

The hack of the D.N.C. seemed like a pernicious attack on the integrity of the Web, as well as on the American political system.

The scientists decided to investigate whether any Republicans had been hacked, too. “We were trying to protect them,” Max said.

As Max and his colleagues searched D.N.S. logs for domains associated with Republican candidates, they were perplexed by what they encountered.

“We went looking for fingerprints similar to what was on the D.N.C. computers, but we didn’t find what we were looking for,” Max told me.

“We found something totally different—something unique.”

The server that housed the domain belonged to a company called Listrak, which mostly helped deliver mass-marketing e-mails:

the one that Max and his colleagues spotted appeared not to be sending anything. At the same time, though, a very small group of companies seemed to be trying to communicate with it.

Examining records for the Trump domain,

Max’s group discovered D.N.S. lookups from a pair of servers owned by Alfa Bank, one of the largest banks in Russia.

Alfa Bank’s computers were looking up the address of the Trump server nearly every day. There were dozens of lookups on some days and far fewer on others, but the total number was notable:

between May and September, Alfa Bank looked up the Trump Organization’s domain more than two thousand times.

“We were watching this happen in real time—it was like watching an airplane fly by,” Max said. “And we thought,

Why the is a Russian bank communicating with a server that belongs to the Trump Organization, and at such a rate?”

Only one other en y seemed to be reaching out to the Trump Organization’s domain with any frequency:

Spectrum Health, of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Spectrum Health is closely linked to the DeVos family;

Richard DeVos, Jr., is the chairman of the board,

Mueller has been looking into Prince’s meeting, following the election, with a Russian official in the Seyc es, at which he reportedly discussed setting up a back channel between Trump and the Russian President, Vladimir Putin. (

Why was the Trump Organization’s domain, set up to send mass-marketing e-mails, conducting such meagre activity?

And why were computers at Alfa Bank and Spectrum Health trying to reach a server that didn’t seem to be doing anything? After analyzing the data, Max said,

“We decided this was a covert communication channel.”

he and his lawyer decided to hand over the findings to Eric Lichtblau, of the Times. Lichtblau met with Max, and began to look at the data.

Lichtblau shared the data with three leading computer scientists, and, like Max, they were struck by the unusual traffic on the server.

As Lichtblau talked to experts, he became increasingly convinced that the data suggested a substantive connection.

“Not only is there clearly something there but there’s clearly something that someone has gone to great lengths to conceal,”

“These people who should not be communicating are clearly communicating,”

the Bureau had intelligence from informants suggesting a possible connection between the Trump Organization and Russian banks, but no data.

It was very important to the Bureau. It was urgent.”

For four days, the servers at Alfa Bank kept trying to look up the Trump domain. Then, ten minutes after the last attempt, one of them looked up another domain, which had been configured to lead to the same Trump Organization server.

He reasoned that someone representing Alfa Bank had alerted the Trump Organization, which shut down the domain, set up another one, and then informed Alfa Bank of the new address.

This March, after

Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee announced that it had found no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia,

the committee’s Democrats filed a dissent, arguing that

there were many matters still to be investigated, including the Trump Organization’s connections to Alfa Bank.

The Democrats implored the majority to force Cendyn to turn over computer data that would help determine what had happened.

Those records could show who in the Trump Organization used the server.

There would probably also be a record of who shut down the Trump domain after the Times contacted Alfa Bank.

Cendyn might have records of any outgoing communications sent by the Trump Organization. But the request for further investigation is unlikely to proceed as long as Republicans hold the majority.

“We’ve all looked at the data, and it doesn’t look right,” a congressional staffer told me. “But how do you get to the truth?”

The enigma, for now, remains an enigma.

The only people likely to finally resolve the question of Alfa Bank and the Trump Organization are federal investigators.

Max told me that no one in his group had been contacted. But, he said, it wasn’t necessary for anyone in the F.B.I. to talk to him, if the agents gathered the right information from other sources, like Listrak and Cendyn.

“I hope Mueller has all of it,” he said. ♦

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...UwMDYyNDg3MAS2

the article explains that email "foldering" may have been by the suspects, like Manafort and Flynn hid their communications with email "foldering"

it sounds like "foldering" is preparing an email but not sending, so it remains in the "drafts" folder where access has been granted to other people.

Doesn't the NSA have all the above DNS metadata and data?

attempting to recycle the already failed and debunked Alfa Bank smear

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem with that is that Democrats will control the House next year. Get ready for this to be actually investigated, as opposed to actively covered up by Republicans running interference.

That will mean that the Chair of the Finance Committee will have the power to subpoena Trumps records.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not debunked, DEFUNDED, shut down by the Repugs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol it's a New York Times story.

You can tell us the specific problems you have with the NYT story, Darrin.

Can't you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any day now someone will flip.

Trump = finito

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any day now someone will flip.

Trump = finito
    lol

no one is LEFT to flip -

Entire Trump team has already flipped -it's all over but the indictments.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether a Pres can be indicted or even subpoena'd (as Clinton was, cheered by Repug rat er K) will go to SCOTUS that will rule 5-4 in Trash's favor.

As an exercise, guess who the 5 are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

no one is LEFT to flip -

Entire Trump team has already flipped -it's all over but the indictments.
    at worst, DJT will be an unindicted co-conspirator in Mueller's report.

even if the House impeaches, the US Senate will not remove. the net effect of impeachment will be to fire up the GOP base and independents.

how will Blue team beat DJT in 2020?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at worst, DJT will be an unindicted co-conspirator in Mueller's report.

even if the House impeaches, the US Senate will not remove. the net effect of impeachment will be to fire up the GOP base and independents.

how will Blue team beat DJT in 2020?

The traitor is already a co-conspirator in felonies with Michael Cohen.

Mueller will drop the hammer of more crimes - and not only will the traitor be up for impeachment - Mueller will use the crimes to force Trump - to NOT run in 2020.

Trump only cares about Trump so he will take the free pass and instead of indictments - he will end his term and NOT run - or face criminal indictments.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mueller will use the crimes to force Trump - to NOT run in 2020.

Trump only cares about Trump so he will take the free pass and instead of indictments - he will end his term and NOT run - or face criminal indictments.
    Deluded.

Being the sitting president is DJT's only shield against prosecution, there's about zero chance he will throw it away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How will Team Blue beat DJT in 2020?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deluded.

Being the sitting president is DJT's only shield against prosecution, there's about zero chance he will throw it away.
    Trump is a criminal-period.

He has to answer for crimes committed. No one is above the law. Mueller has got him and will give Trump an out - because he is the sitting president. I don't like it - but I understand why.

The criminal will not pass on a chance to keep his ass out of criminal prosecution. He will attempt to save face and claim victory while leaving the office and not running again.

Or he can face the consequences of his crimes and see his kids get indicted/prosecuted. He won't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will attempt to save face and claim victory while leaving the office and not running again.
    You don't get it.

The reason that Mueller won't indict and DJT won't step down (or refuse to run for reelection) are identical: the sitting president can't be indicted, per the prevailing DOJ custom. It's hard to imagine anything more conducive to the notion the DOJ is undertaking a slow motion coup against DJT, than changing the rules midstream to allow the special counsel to indict the president.

Or he can face the consequences of his crimes and see his kids get indicted/prosecuted. He won't.
    Normally, that would be considered a powerful lever.

Does Kushner count as one of the kids? What has Ivanka done?

Would Trump throw his own kids under the bus?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't assume he wouldn't, why do you, spurshomer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also, how does your party plan to beat Trump in 2020?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't assume he wouldn't, why do you, spurshomer?

Trump is only interested in lining his pockets, looting the country and enriching his fraudulent empire and his rich buddies - who will in return - do for him - cover crimes for him, etc.

In other words he will do what any common criminal would do.

So - he will have an easy choice. By 2020 he will have committed more fraud, made more money illegally and he will be staring at either;
    a) see his kids indicted and keep running his fraud presidency while his family gets prosecuted
    b) take Muellers deal and step down saving face, retaining his dignity (in the brainwashed cults' minds), keep his kids out of prison - and get away scot-free again from his crimes.

Do the math.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you never said how the Dems would beat Trump in 2020. you assume that Trump will knuckle under to the threat of his kids getting prosecuted.

how can DJT pardon them if he's not the president anymore?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you never said how the Dems would beat Trump in 2020. you assume that Trump will knuckle under to the threat of his kids getting prosecuted.

how can DJT pardon them if he's not the president anymore?

Trump will not run in 2020. Crimes eventually catch up to you. Only brainwashed cult members cannot see this.

You can only continue this charade so long - crimes have been committed - an investigation is currently underway - there has to be a logical conclusion.

You commit crimes and think that a bunch of misdirection will acquit you?
    Nope - not gonna happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJT does not give a about your tender feelings related to familial duty and social propriety.

I do not share your confidence that Trump will withdraw in genteel deference to the good opinion of mankind, or the possibility of legal hazard to himself or his family.

DJT's administration was sort of born with a dark cloud over its head, now is openly at war with the cloud.

it's as if you've already conceded any possibility of legal accountability; you're hoping Donald Trump will voluntarily step down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ha

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash already collecting $$$ for his 2020 campaign

Thread Information