My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont forget there were idiots saying the out-of-office obama should be impeached for spying on trump

not that impeachment was legally impossible (would just have been completely pointless, not to mention meritless)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get butthurt about anything here, sorry.
    just trying to help you out here...you copy/pasted spurraiders post -
    but

you missed a little piece;

Originally Posted by TSA
    The unlawful exoneration of Hillary Clinton by political operatives in the DOJ/FBI.

The unlawful destruction of evidence; and the manipulation of investigative protocols to gain a specific and pre-planned political outcome. (Peter Strzok, Andrew McCabe)

The unlawful use of the FISA court for political spy operations by the DOJ/FBI.

The unlawful use of the Dept of Justice National Security Division. For weaponized political benefit. (Sally Yates, Loretta Lynch, Bruce Ohr)

The unlawful use of the FBI Counterintelligence Division. For weaponized political benefit. (James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, James Baker)

The unlawful use of a Special Counsel (Mueller) investigation to hide the conspiracy; (James Baker, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, Bruce Ohr, Andrew Weissman, Jeannie Rhee, Aaron Zebley)

Now, are you going to accept the ELE bet yes or no?

you're welcome!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont forget there were idiots saying the out-of-office obama should be impeached for spying on trump

not that impeachment was legally impossible (would just have been completely pointless, not to mention meritless)
    Not sure I agree.

Supposing an abuse of power -- like a President using the FBI to spy on a political campaign -- only came to light after he/she left office, wouldn't it make sense to prevent that person from holding office again?

Ulysses S. Grant's Sec'y of War William Belknap was impeached post-resignation, even went to trial.

(He was acquitted because Senators were unsure about jurisdiction.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I agree.

Supposing an abuse of power -- like a President using the FBI to spy on a political campaign -- only came to light after he/she left office, wouldn't it make sense to prevent that person from holding office again?

Ulysses S. Grant's Sec'y of War William Belknap was impeached post-resignation, even went to trial.

(He was acquitted because Senators were unsure about jurisdiction.)
    a) there was never a factual basis to support the alleged wrongdoing. just innuendo and vague deep state conspiracy theories
    b) obama was never realistically going to hold public office again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t get butthurt about anything here, sorry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a) there was never a factual basis to support the alleged wrongdoing. just innuendo and vague deep state conspiracy theories
    b) obama was never realistically going to hold public office again
    I totally agree with a.) and b.), but just if.

Alcee Hastings ran for US Congress and won after impeachment and removal, more power to him.

Taft became a Supreme Court justice post-Presidency, John Quincy Adams became a US Rep. Public service after being President is uncommon for sure, but not impossible.

If the conduct were heinous enough, but not clearly criminal, that would seem to be a good faith basis to strip the officer of benefits, would it not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lap it up folks... end of the road

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Flynn's a confessed felon. All that remains is the sentencing and the pardon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally agree with a.) and b.), but just if.

Alcee Hastings ran for US Congress and won after impeachment and removal, more power to him.

Taft became a Supreme Court justice post-Presidency, John Quincy Adams became a US Rep. Public service after being President is uncommon for sure, but not impossible.

If the conduct were heinous enough, but not clearly criminal, that would seem to be a good faith basis to strip the officer of benefits, would it not?
    (a) is the critical point. people were so convinced of the baseless conspiracy theories that they actually wanted the preemptive impeachment to happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (a) is the critical point. people were so convinced of the baseless conspiracy theories that they actually wanted the preemptive impeachment to happen
    Totally in agreement about this case, just trying to ponder the hypothetical.

I'm still not sure that post-tenure impeachment can be ruled out in principle for other cases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mentioned this a few weeks ago when the usual conspira s were advancing new theories presented by Flynn’s new attorney: it’s difficult to claim you’ve been misled after asserting twice in front of different judges that you lied.

Too little too late, and Mueller recommending no jail time happened before the sudden change of heart. We’ll see now what his sentence looks like. I would still wager it will be lenient considering he’s a first timer, IIRC

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    end of the road

Horowitz: "What we ultimately decided was that the conduct here warranted sending the entire report to the FBI and Department for review, for review from the line agent all the way to the top of people who were still at the FBI."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can kicked

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    playing naive just to use a catch phrase

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    playing naive just to use a catch phrase
    You've been kicking the can for years.

Flynn is going to be sentenced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    end of the road

Horowitz: "What we ultimately decided was that the conduct here warranted sending the entire report to the FBI and Department for review, for review from the line agent all the way to the top of people who were still at the FBI."
    Just take the and move on... this one didn't work out. Maybe derp will pass judgement, I don't care.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

Gates still cooperating and willing to testify in upcoming trials

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    500 hours worth of cooperation with state and federal

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

thoughts and prayers

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thoughts and prayers

ditto

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thoughts and prayers
    Man, they cut off his supply of hair dye. awwww

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Government recommends no jail time for Flynn and Russiagate pushers still searching for the tiniest of wins.

That IG report cause some serious butthurt
    How Sorry Is Michael Flynn That He Hired This Nutbag Lawyer?
    https://www.wonkette.com/how-sorry-i...-nutbag-lawyer

Flynn still in major trouble.

------------------------------------------------

Judge Sullivan was singularly unimpressed with "[d]efense counsel's theory" that "[t]he evidence the defense requests, if produced, would defeat the factual basis for the plea." Moreover, he strongly implied throughout the 92-page ruling that the evidence sought would prove inculpatory to Flynn, rather than exculpatory, saying, "To the extent he seeks information in addition to what has already been provided, Mr. Flynn has failed to establish the first component of his Brady claim: favorability."

Flynn won't be able to claim a conflict of interest with his former attorneys at Covington after having waived it on multiple occasions, and he won't be allowed to leverage the court to get do ents from the FBI to defend himself against the "smear" that he's a Russian agent, since that's not what he's charged with. Which is a blow to Sidney Powell, who was sure that Judge Sullivan, the hero of her book License to Lie, who threw out the case against Alaska Senator Ted Stevens based on prosecutorial misconduct, would see things her way.

Alas not.

This case is not United States v. Theodore F. Stevens, the case that Mr. Flynn relies on throughout his briefing. In that case, the Court granted the government's motion to dismiss, and the government admitted that it had committed Brady violations and made misrepresentations to the Court. Even if Mr. Flynn established a Brady violation in this case, dismissal would be unwarranted because "[t]he remedy for a Brady violation is retrial, not dismissal." [Internal citations omitted.]
    Adding insult to injury, in a section headed "Ethical Concerns with Mr. Flynn's Brief," Sullivan accused Powell of failing to adhere to professional standards by inadequately citing an amicus brief as her source material, saying, "The Court notes that Mr. Flynn's brief in support of his first Brady motion lifted verbatim portions from a source without attribution." There's a legitimate argument to be made that Powell's conduct is pretty standard in the legal community. But there's no argument that this decision was anything but a total repudiation of both Powell's legal reasoning and her courtroom strategy. Flynn might wind up getting a pardon from Donald Trump, but he's sure as not getting a walk from Judge Emmet Sullivan.

See you at sentencing on January 28, Sidney!

-------------------------------------
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 12-17-2019 at 06:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah missing citations isn't end of the world. usually the court just tells you to knock it off or be careful about it.

i had a situation where the opposing counsel made a big stink about an incorrect citation and the judge flat out didnt care

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah missing citations isn't end of the world. usually the court just tells you to knock it off or be careful about it.

i had a situation where the opposing counsel made a big stink about an incorrect citation and the judge flat out didnt care
    Eyup. Funny, but not overly material.

My take away:

There's a legitimate argument to be made that Powell's conduct is pretty standard in the legal community. But there's no argument that this decision was anything but a total repudiation of both Powell's legal reasoning and her courtroom strategy.

Thread Information