Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With all of those changes you suggest they will make, it hardly loooks like bringing everyone back... hardly.
    I guess it all depends how close this roster turns out to be in the playoffs, and how LMA performs. Maybe Holt is OK paying the tax this summer if they're close; he's paid it before.

Also, there is some room (~5m) above the Mills cap hold and the Simmons QO (as listed above) to split between the two before they get the tax line, right? Below is a baseline that could avoid the tax, though, realistically they'd have to exceed the tax by a few million to keep both Simmons and Mills, and DD would need to be OK with he full MLE.

DD - MLE (8.4m)
    Lee - LLE (3m)
    Mills - Bird (8.8m)
    Simmons - RFA match (4.6m)
    Rookie - rookie scale
    Multinov - stash one more year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for that summary.
    also thanks to Chinook for starting the thread.
    I don't think they will be able to retain everyone.
    The money we are talking about is life changing and Simmons, Dedmon and Patty have never gotten the big contract. They would be wrong to leave money to stay in the Spurs bc they are all young but not younglings. This offseason may present their best chance at their best contract of their careers. Seriously I don't see them all coming back. Spurs will have to be selective.

Just IMO

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they have to be selective as well. The one unknown factor here is how well we do in the post season. I think that is going to determine who we target, who we keep, and just the total direction of the franchise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my heart of hearts I agree with you. It would be silly for any of these guys not to take an offer well above and beyond what the team can afford and whatever value they may ascribe to loyalty/preference for the Spurs, especially Patty who has already won a ring here and 2 dudes who are a season removed from scaping by in the D-League.

I guess part of me just wishes (wished?) we could have gotten something in return for what have shaped up to be really good assets that we may lose for nothing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Noel RFA negotiations are going to be an interesting bellwether for Dedmon's deal. Hopefully the underwhelming hual he got at the trade deadline is an indication of what's to come, especially with him being younger than Dedmon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Noel RFA negotiations are going to be an interesting bellwether for Dedmon's deal. Hopefully the underwhelming hual he got at the trade deadline is an indication of what's to come, especially with him being younger than Dedmon.
    Exactly!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone know what the max raises and years Dedmon could get for a full MLE offer? For example, could he end up getting 40/4 if he starts at 8.5?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Tony contract ended up being worse than originally predicted, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone know what the max raises and years Dedmon could get for a full MLE offer? For example, could he end up getting 40/4 if he starts at 8.5?
    Should he 4.5% annual raises as Spurs don't have Bird rights. If it starts at 8.5 that means 8.5 / 8.88 / 9.28 / 9.7 which is close to $36.4mm. Not a lot. I imagine they'd give him a player option to sweeten the pot and at that point will have his Bird Rights (like they have now with Patty).

I see the Spurs keeping Patty unless a team throws something obscene at him given they have a reasonable cap hold on him.

A lot of this hinges on Gasol. For Manu, if he does want to come back it'd be awesome for him to take the LLE or something after his rights are renounced and he took an above market deal this year (it essentially didn't matter what he was paid for cap purposes).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should he 4.5% annual raises as Spurs don't have Bird rights. If it starts at 8.5 that means 8.5 / 8.88 / 9.28 / 9.7 which is close to $36.4mm. Not a lot. I imagine they'd give him a player option to sweeten the pot and at that point will have his Bird Rights (like they have now with Patty).

I see the Spurs keeping Patty unless a team throws something obscene at him given they have a reasonable cap hold on him.

A lot of this hinges on Gasol. For Manu, if he does want to come back it'd be awesome for him to take the LLE or something after his rights are renounced and he took an above market deal this year (it essentially didn't matter what he was paid for cap purposes).
    Thanks, yeah that's not a lot for Dedmon. The problem with the player option at the lower salary is that by the time he's at a decision point he'll be in his 30s. I'd probably want the longest paying contract now if I'm him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a clarification, under the new CBA, raises have increased by .5 percent. So Dedmon's deal could contain up to a 5-percent increase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The elephant in the room is that Gasol has too high a salary to be a bench player. He could be convinced to renegotiate his deal to fit Dedmon in. If Deadman becomes a key guy to retain like he seems trending to, Spurs will have to do what they must to keep him, including having that awkward conversation with Gasol about that subject.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a clarification, under the new CBA, raises have increased by .5 percent. So Dedmon's deal could contain up to a 5-percent increase.
    Thanks - knew I was forgetting something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is Pau's deadline to opt-in?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By Erler, though this has been discussed plenty here in so many threads that it is not news.

With the team’s cap situation being what it is, the club will be forced to make some tough decisions this summer. Assuming Gasol opts in to the second year of his deal (it’s a mortal lock though I suspect the team wishes it wasn’t), the quintet of Leonard, Aldridge, Gasol, Parker and Green will account for 80.37 percent of the team’s available cap space for next season. Even if Ginobili retires and the team renounces Mills’ cap hold, they’re only going to have around $10 million in cap space, assuming Dedmon opts out of his deal, too. (Disclaimer: Jesus Gomez is a lot better at this cap stuff than I am, but I don’t think I’m too far off the mark here.)
    Simply put, the Spurs are going to be able to afford just one between Dedmon, Mills and Jonathon Simmons, and perhaps none. I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt, because of PATFO’s track record, that they will be able to get creative enough or perhaps inspire enough loyalty to get a “hometown discount” from one of those three. So that’s another reason for them to give Dedmon as much playing time with the starters as possible, to see if it’s worth choosing him over Mills, whose departure would sadden many Spurs fans, myself included.
    We have a pretty good idea what the ceiling is with Gasol. Now it’s time to see what the Spurs have in Dedmon.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/2/28/14767246/spurs-keep-starting-dewayne-dedmon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't, but the second-rounder is only a min deal, so it can't go away. If anything, it would go up if the Spurs signed a vet with the money. It would actually cost money to replace that with a vet. Speaking of that, I was actually off on my numbers for the second rounder and rookie slots. The hold is $815,615, not $1,471,382, also Forbes and Bertans should count as $1,312,611 each. All that gives the team like $1.5 Million in extra space. Not nothing, considering how tight they are. Between that and keeping the split guys in Austin most of the year, they probably have enough to give Simmons and Patty pretty decent contracts.

I would agree normally. But him and Manu walking with no one Murray, picks and min contracts to replace them would be hard to imagine. Moving on from Simmons would give the Spurs another $800k or so, which makes it completely possible to keep Mills.
    Can you see SA waiving guys like Forbes in addition to LJC to open up more space or does waiving them still keep their money on the books (I think it does).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you see SA waiving guys like Forbes in addition to LJC to open up more space or does waiving them still keep their money on the books (I think it does).
    Livio is already waived. His money is dead. Forbes' money isn't guaranteed, though it may not save much money at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Livio is already waived. His money is dead. Forbes' money isn't guaranteed, though it may not save much money at all.
    That's right, forgot about that. So basically if SA wanted to reasonably maximize cap space, they could clear Manu's cap hold (he retires), clear Mills cap hold, clear Lee & Dedmon & waive Forbes plus stash picks & Milu. If they did that they would have about ~92M in salaries with a cap of 102M so only 10M in cap space.

Cap space, unless you trade TP or Danny or Pau surprisingly opts out does not seem likely at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any chance Spurs would have enough to sign George Hill? That TP contract sure doesn't help.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for sharing that. Seems lower than expected...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the idea that the Spurs will worry about cap space this summer is extremely remote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the idea that the Spurs will worry about cap space this summer is extremely remote.
    You are being enigmatic here.
    I am not sure I understand what you mean...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are being enigmatic here.
    I am not sure I understand what you mean...
    Probably that even if the Spurs are under the cap it would be by less than the MLE value, thus they'll use the exceptions to improve the team, rather than cap space.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just confirming, Spurs have cost control over Bertans and Forbes next year right? And after the 2018 season they're RFAs?

Thread Information