Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nintendo knows where their bread is buttered.
    the n64 is the last time i really got hyped for a nintendo console. that console seemed 20yrs ahead of its time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the n64 is the last time i really got hyped for a nintendo console. that console seemed 20yrs ahead of its time.
    N64 was ing awesome.

But here's my theory. Young adults end up getting married and having a kid(s). Buying a Nintendo Wii or Switch (or whatever) is an easy way to justify buying a video game system.
    "Honey, it's for the kids". And most dads don't play so many video games that there will be enough good games on any of the Nintendo platforms.

And keeping Mario and Zelda around means that when this next generation of kids grows up, they'll buy their kids some kind of Nintendo product.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    N64 was ing awesome.

But here's my theory. Young adults end up getting married and having a kid(s). Buying a Nintendo Wii or Switch (or whatever) is an easy way to justify buying a video game system.
    "Honey, it's for the kids". And most dads don't play so many video games that there will be enough good games on any of the Nintendo platforms.

And keeping Mario and Zelda around means that when this next generation of kids grows up, they'll buy their kids some kind of Nintendo product.
    i can totally see that being reality. makes sense to me.

now i just want to play waverace64!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skyward Sword HD remake... get in here jeebus
    Y'know, I got maybe.....45 mins into that game before I turned it off for the night.....and haven't turned it back on since. Which was around 6 or 7 years ago, whenever the ing thing came out. I couldn't do the wii controls dude. Then I hear it's not as open world as it was made to seem and the dungeons were repe ive....

Probably won't buy it unless it's HEAVILY discounted. Like 20 bucks. But I'd buy the out of the other zelda remakes if they get released on the switch. And I'd give my paycheck away for an ocarina/majora's mask HD remake. Not just on the damn 3ds.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'know, I got maybe.....45 mins into that game before I turned it off for the night.....and haven't turned it back on since. Which was around 6 or 7 years ago, whenever the ing thing came out. I couldn't do the wii controls dude. Then I hear it's not as open world as it was made to seem and the dungeons were repe ive....

Probably won't buy it unless it's HEAVILY discounted. Like 20 bucks. But I'd buy the out of the other zelda remakes if they get released on the switch. And I'd give my paycheck away for an ocarina/majora's mask HD remake. Not just on the damn 3ds.
    3DS is worth getting just for A Link Between Worlds. That's gotta be my favorite Zelda since Ocarina of Time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3DS is worth getting just for A Link Between Worlds. That's gotta be my favorite Zelda since Ocarina of Time.
    I know I know, I really ought to pick one up. Don't they have one out now that doesn't have the 3D gimmick and is just like a regular game boy? If so, I might finally get one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know I know, I really ought to pick one up. Don't they have one out now that doesn't have the 3D gimmick and is just like a regular game boy? If so, I might finally get one
    The 3D can actually be really good in the New 3DS XL with the face tracking so that it doesn't go out of focus. Of the games I have played I'd rank the 3D from best to worst as:

1. Mario Kart 7 - Essential. The game still looks good in 2D but is night and day better in 3D
    2. Zelda A Link Between Worlds - Essential - The game looks amazing in 3D but kind of crappy in 2D
    3. Mario Gold - Pretty good - The 3D effect looks great looking down the fairway
    4. New Super Mario Bros 2 - OK - There are a couple of things the 3D looks great in but there's not much difference one way or the other
    5. Super Mario 3D Land - Nothing special - It's sometimes cool for height but I have found the 3D very underwhelming in this game
    6. Bravely Default - Bad - I turn off the 3D. It doesn't work well at all with some of the dark environments unless you're playing it inside with the brightness cranked up.
    7. Shin Megami Tensei IV - Bad - Same as with Bravely Default

If you don't want 3D there is a 2DS tablet and then the New 2DS XL which is a New 3DS XL without the 3D and with weaker speakers. There are a few games like Xenoblade Chronicles that require one of the "New" models (eg New 3DS, New 3DS XL, or New 2DS XL) because of the stronger cpu and more ram in them. Same for the SNES Virtual Console games, which won't run on anything but "New" models. Honestly though, the 3D is worth spending the extra $25 on just for Mario Kart 7 and A Link Between Worlds. It's pretty impressive in both games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 3D can actually be really good in the New 3DS XL with the face tracking so that it doesn't go out of focus. Of the games I have played I'd rank the 3D from best to worst as:

1. Mario Kart 7 - Essential. The game still looks good in 2D but is night and day better in 3D
    2. Zelda A Link Between Worlds - Essential - The game looks amazing in 3D but kind of crappy in 2D
    3. Mario Gold - Pretty good - The 3D effect looks great looking down the fairway
    4. New Super Mario Bros 2 - OK - There are a couple of things the 3D looks great in but there's not much difference one way or the other
    5. Super Mario 3D Land - Nothing special - It's sometimes cool for height but I have found the 3D very underwhelming in this game
    6. Bravely Default - Bad - I turn off the 3D. It doesn't work well at all with some of the dark environments unless you're playing it inside with the brightness cranked up.
    7. Shin Megami Tensei IV - Bad - Same as with Bravely Default

If you don't want 3D there is a 2DS tablet and then the New 2DS XL which is a New 3DS XL without the 3D and with weaker speakers. There are a few games like Xenoblade Chronicles that require one of the "New" models (eg New 3DS, New 3DS XL, or New 2DS XL) because of the stronger cpu and more ram in them. Same for the SNES Virtual Console games, which won't run on anything but "New" models. Honestly though, the 3D is worth spending the extra $25 on just for Mario Kart 7 and A Link Between Worlds. It's pretty impressive in both games.
    Sounds good dude. 25 extra bucks isn't anything in the long run. How much are the virtual console game on average and is the library decent? I loved my old SNES and am kinda bitter my brother has hogged it over these past few years. the SNES classic is still a to get ahold of and I've been jonesing to play some old games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds good dude. 25 extra bucks isn't anything in the long run. How much are the virtual console game on average and is the library decent? I loved my old SNES and am kinda bitter my brother has hogged it over these past few years. the SNES classic is still a to get ahold of and I've been jonesing to play some old games.
    They're $8. Super Mario World is hard to play on a New 3DS XL but otherwise the VC games are really solid. I highly recommend the SNES Classic. I wasn't even considering buying one since I got a Raspberry Pi for old school gaming, but I ended up getting an SNES Classic from my brother for Christmas and I have to admit it is way better than the Raspberry Pi for SNES and NES gaming (you can dual boot the SNES Classic and NES Classic on the system since the hardware is the same). You can readily find the SNES Classic for $100 or so on craigslist and I have seen them at Gamestop too. I was looking because I was briefly thinking of selling mine until I saw how perfectly it plays Super Mario World.

The SNES Classic's emulator is the only one I have ever found acceptable for Super Mario World. That game is so sensitive to input lag, and playing it on the SNES Classic was the first time I have ever been able to make the running jumps I got used to doing on a real SNES. The SNES Classic controller feels just like the real thing. I can never go back to my Raspberry Pi for SNES and NES games after using the Classic. It's still solid for Genesis, MAME, Neo Geo, and so on, though I haven't tried the Sonic games on it yet so maybe those would suck too like Super Mario World does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're $8. Super Mario World is hard to play on a New 3DS XL but otherwise the VC games are really solid. I highly recommend the SNES Classic. I wasn't even considering buying one since I got a Raspberry Pi for old school gaming, but I ended up getting an SNES Classic from my brother for Christmas and I have to admit it is way better than the Raspberry Pi for SNES and NES gaming (you can dual boot the SNES Classic and NES Classic on the system since the hardware is the same). You can readily find the SNES Classic for $100 or so on craigslist and I have seen them at Gamestop too. I was looking because I was briefly thinking of selling mine until I saw how perfectly it plays Super Mario World.

The SNES Classic's emulator is the only one I have ever found acceptable for Super Mario World. That game is so sensitive to input lag, and playing it on the SNES Classic was the first time I have ever been able to make the running jumps I got used to doing on a real SNES. The SNES Classic controller feels just like the real thing. I can never go back to my Raspberry Pi for SNES and NES games after using the Classic. It's still solid for Genesis, MAME, Neo Geo, and so on, though I haven't tried the Sonic games on it yet so maybe those would suck too like Super Mario World does.
    My . Yeah I've seen them on amazon and the sort for around $100 so I might pull the trigger on one of those soon. I know they're gonna make the NES classic again but we all know that is gonna sell out super fast again. I'll look around this weekend and if I don't see a SNES, I'll just pay the extra $20 and get it online. I've also been contemplating just getting an actual SNES on ebay or wherever, but the nostalgia for old school games is still incredibly high. Might wait a bit for it to die down, as fads always do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My . Yeah I've seen them on amazon and the sort for around $100 so I might pull the trigger on one of those soon. I know they're gonna make the NES classic again but we all know that is gonna sell out super fast again. I'll look around this weekend and if I don't see a SNES, I'll just pay the extra $20 and get it online. I've also been contemplating just getting an actual SNES on ebay or wherever, but the nostalgia for old school games is still incredibly high. Might wait a bit for it to die down, as fads always do.
    If I was going the cartridge route I'd have to seriously look at the Analogue Super-Nt. You get a hardware SNES and Super Famicom with HDMI support and no worries about a yellowed console chipping apart.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

They also made a hardware NES/Famicom with HDMI a few years ago, but that was $500 and a lot of the best Japanese games of the era came on floppies for the Famicom Disk System; eg Japanese Super Mario 2, Doki Doki Panic (Japanese game that was reskinned into American Super Mario 2), Zelda (better sound than US Zelda), Metroid (better sound than US Metroid), etc.

I wouldn't buy an NES Classic unless there is a new revision with longer controller cables. The cables are a little short in the SNES Classic but they're really short in the NES Classic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you buy an SNES Classic check the youtube channel ETA Prime for how to add more SNES and Super Famicom roms and how to dual boot the NES Classic games on it. The only downside of doing this is one of the cool menu features that demos games while inactive only works on the original 23 or so games and sometimes when powering down you'll have to turn the system power back to on then off to shut down. These are the two mods I did to my SNES Classic, and playing some of these missed games like Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy IV, and some Japanese Super Famicom games on the official Nintendo emulator is great.

I haven't bothered with trying to put Famicom Disk System games on though since I'm doubtful the official Nintendo emulators that come with these systems would play them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you buy an SNES Classic check the youtube channel ETA Prime for how to add more SNES and Super Famicom roms and how to dual boot the NES Classic games on it. The only downside of doing this is one of the cool menu features that demos games while inactive only works on the original 23 or so games and sometimes when powering down you'll have to turn the system power back to on then off to shut down. These are the two mods I did to my SNES Classic, and playing some of these missed games like Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy IV, and some Japanese Super Famicom games on the official Nintendo emulator is great.

I haven't bothered with trying to put Famicom Disk System games on though since I'm doubtful the official Nintendo emulators that come with these systems would play them.
    yeah this sounds like the way to go. I don't wanna have to rebuy all those cartridges I used to have at inflated prices. I'll have to remember to mod my when I get it. But for now, I think I might get the 3ds first so I can have some to play during slow times at work. Phones just die too quickly playing games on there and I know nintendo handhelds are pretty good with battery life

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not use a raspberry pi???

Can emu not only nintendo but dozn other consoles/arcades

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not use a raspberry pi???

Can emu not only nintendo but dozn other consoles/arcades
    For SNES and NES games the SNES Classic is far better, at least comparing the SNES Classic to the Pi 3 with an XBox 360 controller. Maybe one of those iBuffalo wired pads would bring the input latency on par with the SNES Classic's, but SNES Classic with those wired SNES controllers is excellent for NES and SNES games. The wireless 360 pad just kicks the out of the PS3 DualShock3 though, wired or wireless on the DS3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont think I seen any lag on a pi w 360 controllers. But then again I am no nintendo expert

But for the fact you can emulate countless more consoles IMO the pi is way better choice. Also pretty sure you can conect nintendo type controllers to the pi

Im pi biased thou. I just setup 2 pis w/8TB drives each as NAS and mirroring each other

An 8TB NAS that costs less than $10 a year on power

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont think I seen any lag on a pi w 360 controllers. But then again I am no nintendo expert

But for the fact you can emulate countless more consoles IMO the pi is way better choice. Also pretty sure you can conect nintendo type controllers to the pi

Im pi biased thou. I just setup 2 pis w/8TB drives each as NAS and mirroring each other

An 8TB NAS that costs less than $10 a year on power
    There is definite lag with a 360 controller. In Level 1-2 of Super Mario Bros you know the part where you go down the pipe into the area with coins right after the 1-up mushroom? If I run full speed on my Pi + 360 controller setup and let go right before he hits the pipe he still goes into it. On the SNES Classic Mario won't go into that pipe if you're not still holding right when he gets to it, which is exactly how I remember it behaving on the real NES. That's a 100% reproducible spot showing either the default NES emulator is worse than the official NES Classic emulator or the controller has more lag. Super Mario Bros is still very playable on the Pi with a 360 controller as long as you set it up to use the left thumbstick instead of the horrible D-pad, but if you get used to playing it on the NES/SNES Classic and go back you realize how much looser the control is on the Pi + 360 controller setup.

This is the pipe I mean:
    Last edited by baseline bum; 02-28-2018 at 03:50 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha awesome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have repurposed my Pi from being mostly an NES/SNES emulator to being mostly a PS1 emulator. Most of the PS1 games I'm interested in don't require the kind of pinpoint accuracy SNES/NES games often do, so RetroPie with a 360 controller is excellent there. Though it does require a of a lot of tweaking since some PS1 games require the OG PS1 digital gamepad while others support the DualShock. And then some games supporting the DualShock still use the D-pad as the main control, which sucks on a 360 controller until you go into the config and force the left thumbstick to emulate the D-pad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Capcom is bringing Resident Evil 7 to Switch... by streaming it

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/20/1...ersion-release

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ended up getting the Switch over the weekend. I do value the portable aspect and I don't play so many games that I need more than what they're going to offer.
    Got Zelda, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart.

I've never played a Zelda game in my life despite having an NES, Super, 64, and Wii. So wasn't sure if I'd even like it but it's excellent.
    Mario Odyssey is as well.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Joker from P5 is in Smash! Nintendo is letting everybody in! I am so happy that Sakurai is making the purists rage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joker from P5 is in Smash! Nintendo is letting everybody in! I am so happy that Sakurai is making the purists rage.
    I literally just got the delivery from Amazon. Problem is that I have to wait until Christmas for my kid to unwrap it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought about getting the Switch since I fly a lot but I am not sold on the game selection. Never been a Zelda player, and the Super Mario games never appealed to me. If they could get GTA V in there..

Thread Information