Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I'm to the point where getting a different console might make more sense than me spending $ trying out crappy games.
    get a ps4

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I'm to the point where getting a different console might make more sense than me spending $ trying out crappy games.
    if you're bored with Switch, they're selling online for decent money since they're pretty much impossible to get new thanks to the supply chain disruption. Especially if your Switch in unpatched, which you can check here:

https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

Of course if your Switch is unpatched you can put custom firmware on it and play all games for free, though you can never go online with it again in that case.

If you're looking at a new console the PS4 is the way to go. It's absolutely loaded with great games in all kinds of genres and most of the big blockbusters that aren't new are $20 by now. The exceptions are Sekiro which still only goes on sale around $40 and Red Dead Redemption 2 who sale price is usually around $30. IMO PS4 is the no-brainer best console to come out since the PS2 twenty years ago. And it's also the cheapest console I ever bought (in inflation adjusted dollars) with the cheapest games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you're bored with Switch, they're selling online for decent money since they're pretty much impossible to get new thanks to the supply chain disruption. Especially if your Switch in unpatched, which you can check here:

Of course if your Switch is unpatched you can put custom firmware on it and play all games for free, though you can never go online with it again in that case.

If you're looking at a new console the PS4 is the way to go. It's absolutely loaded with great games in all kinds of genres and most of the big blockbusters that aren't new are $20 by now. The exceptions are Sekiro which still only goes on sale around $40 and Red Dead Redemption 2 who sale price is usually around $30. IMO PS4 is the no-brainer best console to come out since the PS2 twenty years ago. And it's also the cheapest console I ever bought (in inflation adjusted dollars) with the cheapest games.
    Do you put skins on your consoles? I'm looking to wall mount my PS4 but I want to put a skin on it first because it's black and hard to see otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you put skins on your consoles? I'm looking to wall mount my PS4 but I want to put a skin on it first because it's black and hard to see otherwise.
    Nah, I have no real interest in skins. I think they all look tacky as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not so bored that I want to sell it. And I'm looking forward to some of the games coming up : Outer Words, new Mario Odyssey, new Zelda, and a new Metroid at some point. Also, my daughter uses it quite a bit. I did end up buying Mario Maker 2 which is more fun than I was expecting.

But the PS4 is sounding like a good idea. Plus I can put it on a different TV so I'm not waiting for my kid to get off the Switch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man...I have to say I've been pretty happy with Mario Maker 2. I kind of blew this game off thinking it was just another 2D platformer. But didn't realize that it was bringing in mechanics from all the various Mario games so there's a decent variation between one stage and the next. I'm about 50% done with story mode and while it is starting to get redundant, it's pretty great for a game where I can sit down and play for either 30 minutes or a couple of hours. So story mode alone is worth the price. I'll probably move on to play shared courses but not try to make any of my own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got a switch for my daughter but have actually been enjoying splatoon 2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got a switch for my daughter but have actually been enjoying splatoon 2
    I all over the Switch when it first came out but it has been surprisingly awesome despite the underpowered hardware. Definitely the best Nintendo system since the legendary SNES.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I all over the Switch when it first came out but it has been surprisingly awesome despite the underpowered hardware. Definitely the best Nintendo system since the legendary SNES.
    That's a pretty bold statement.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any recommendations for how to get a Switch without going through scalpers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want the full fat dockable Switch with detachable joycons you're pretty much stuck paying scalper prices if you want it now. With hard to find systems Gamestop usually does bundles. Early last month they had a $430 pre-order bundle of Switch + Pro Controller + Game (I think it was Smash Bros) to be delivered by late April but that sold out in a few days. But that's MSRP system + MSRP Pro Controller (which is a must on a dockable Switch IMO) + MSRP Game, so you're not paying scalper prices for nothing extra in that case. So might be worth watching out for more full Switch bundles from them. If they get any new full fat Switches that's how Gamestop is going to sell them.

If you want Switch Lites all three colors are supringly available new at MSRP online from Gamestop without having to buy a game bundle, but they're not dockable. Probably the better system if you're absolutely sure you only want to play handheld, because the full fat Switch is kind of bulky and needs a case. But there are a few games much better on the bigscreen than handheld, such as Super Mario Odyssey which really uses motion controls well with split joycons or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 that takes a hatchet to resolution when handheld, which makes it look more like a Gamecube game than a Switch one.

It's a pretty cool system though and I like it both handheld and on the bigscreen. Really strong game library for a lot of different tastes too.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 05-17-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks yeah I want the full dockable system so I can play it on the TV. Talked to the GameStop guys today and they said they supply the website first, so that's how they're all getting to scalpers so fast. Would be nice if they reserved some for in-person purchase only but I guess there's no real incentive to do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks yeah I want the full dockable system so I can play it on the TV. Talked to the GameStop guys today and they said they supply the website first, so that's how they're all getting to scalpers so fast. Would be nice if they reserved some for in-person purchase only but I guess there's no real incentive to do that.
    Scalpers have bots checking Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Gamestop, Newegg, etc to snatch them up the second they're available to purchase online. They don't usually buy the expensive Gamestop bundles though, so that's where you'll have a chance. The fact that Gamestop hasn't made any of these bundles available for a month probably means they're not getting from Nintendo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bought mine back in March just as everything was shutting down. By then, they were sold out online and at every store I went to. Tried my luck at the most obvious spot - my local Gamestop - as a last ditch attempt to find one. Lady said they were out, but there were some boxes behind her and I asked what they were. No lie they were a box of 5 Switches.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bought mine back in March just as everything was shutting down. By then, they were sold out online and at every store I went to. Tried my luck at the most obvious spot - my local Gamestop - as a last ditch attempt to find one. Lady said they were out, but there were some boxes behind her and I asked what they were. No lie they were a box of 5 Switches.
    When in March did you get it? Just curious since I think Nintendo warned everyone in February that their supply chain was completely ed by COVID in China and that shortages were 100% coming. I feel kind of guilty having one and not even playing it much since I have been playing Persona 5 Royal and various Yakuza games all year on PS4 instead (especially since I have a holy grail hackable Switch with Atmosphere on it ). Though Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers is next in my backlog and I'll play that on Switch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When in March did you get it? Just curious since I think Nintendo warned everyone in February that their supply chain was completely ed by COVID in China and that shortages were 100% coming. I feel kind of guilty having one and not even playing it much since I have been playing Persona 5 Royal and various Yakuza games all year on PS4 instead (especially since I have a holy grail hackable Switch with Atmosphere on it ). Though Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers is next in my backlog and I'll play that on Switch.
    Around Mid-March. I'm lucky as because I haven't seen anything other than those ugly yellow Switch Lites since, and now those are hard to find.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Around Mid-March. I'm lucky as because I haven't seen anything other than those ugly yellow Switch Lites since, and now those are hard to find.
    Damn I would think the aqua Swith Lite would be the easy one to find, that thing looks horrible. I kind of like the yellow one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what are you playing on it? Man if you haven't checked Super Mario Odyssey, that game is unbelievably good. Best Mario game I have played since Super Mario World way back in like 1991.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's good on this thing? I have mine sitting here, haven't played anything since Zelda and Spyro trilogy.

I heard about Animal Crossings, but I don't feel like online . Give me a good story or a solid platformer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's good on this thing? I have mine sitting here, haven't played anything since Zelda and Spyro trilogy.

I heard about Animal Crossings, but I don't feel like online . Give me a good story or a solid platformer.
    Have you played Super Mario Odyssey? Best platformer since Super Mario World IMO. Then Super Mario Maker 2 is probably the second best platformer since, judging only from the single player levels that came with it since my Switch isn't exactly online capable.

Yoshi's Crafted World is a surprisingly good platformer with a hilarious art style. It's not Super Mario Maker 2 quality or anything, but still a lot of fun to play handheld. Ni No Kuni is supposed to have an awesome story if you're in the mood for an RPG, but it's also on PS3, PS4, XLOL1, and PC. I really gotta play that and Dragon Quest XI in the next few months. Persona 5 Scramble looks to have a really interesting story in an action game / RPG hybrid, though you have to be able to read Japanese. The demo's story was pretty cool though when I played it back in early February.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I played both Yoshi and SMO..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I played both Yoshi and SMO..
    Bend over, I'll give you something to play with.

Don't sleep on Super Mario Maker 2 though, it has some great levels in the main SP mode if you like 2D platformers.

One other really cool platformer / beat'em up is Guacamelee, if you never played it. I know I have probably recommended it to you before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bend over, I'll give you something to play with.

Don't sleep on Super Mario Maker 2 though, it has some great levels in the main SP mode if you like 2D platformers.

One other really cool platformer / beat'em up is Guacamelee, if you never played it. I know I have probably recommended it to you before.
    I'll pick those up... danke

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ended up getting an older game, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, yesterday. It's a 2D platformer with a semi-explorable overhead map screen to get to the different 2D chapters.
    So far it's pretty great. It's not as good as Mario Maker 2 but it's at least as good as DK Tropical Freeze. Great graphics and control. And the overhead map portion has various puzzles which breaks up
    the 2D stuff. Also, unlike DKTF, you don't have limited lives so you're always started at your last checkpoint no matter how many times you die. And each 2D chapter seems fairly long with plenty to do.

Also, it gives you the option to go to the final chapter and beat the game whenever you want. But it does seem impossible without the extra stuff you earn from getting through a lot of the chapters.

Anyway, if you like 2D platforming, this one is excellent (so far).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nintendo says their production is finally getting back to near 100%, so you might have a shot in the near future if you haven't landed one yet.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._supply_issues

Thread Information