Page 12 of 376 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zelda's so tempting right now...but hard to justify buying a console for one game.
    Super Mario Odyssey looks like it's going to be pretty killer too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fighting games were bad on the pc then. All we had were those 4 button gravis gamepads. Remember those
    LOL the Gravis Gamepads with the screw in joystick. I used those things until I bought a 360. Man Street Fighter II was such a slideshow on DOS and the music sounded like I was playing on a 2600.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fighting games were bad on the pc then. All we had were those 4 button gravis gamepads. Remember those
    I do, those gamepads were stiff as and the fighting games were complete too. I remember playing FX Fighter on the PC back in the day, which also was complete . It was very floaty from what I remember, the characters moved around like they were underwater. I also remember 4D boxing , man so horrible yet I was oddly addicted to that game. The concept was new enough for me, despite the game being horrible, for me to have fun with it.

Back to the gamepad though, I remember getting a Microsoft Sidewinder and it was a lot better than those Gravis gamepads but the D-pad was horrible for fighting games. Good times though despite the struggle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do, those gamepads were stiff as and the games were complete too. I remember playing FX Fighter on the PC back in the day.

Back to the gamepad though, I remember getting a Microsoft Sidewinder and it was a lot better than those Gravis gamepads but the D-pad was horrible for fighting games. Good times though despite the struggle.
    Man those Gravis Gamepads were so much better than the Logitech F310 that I bought a year or so ago when my 360 controller dongle for PC started acting ty. That ing thing had triggers so stiff it hurt your fingers to hold them down. I remember playing Assassins Creed Revelations where you're constantly holding the right trigger down to run and jump and and my finger was just ing dead after 15 minutes holding that trigger down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do, those gamepads were stiff as and the fighting games were complete too. I remember playing FX Fighter on the PC back in the day, which also was complete . It was very floaty from what I remember, the characters moved around like they were underwater. I also remember 4D boxing , man so horrible yet I was oddly addicted to that game. The concept was new enough for me, despite the game being horrible, for me to have fun with it.

I bought FXFighter on release, as well. Virtua Fighter 2 blew me away in the arcades so much, that I needed a 3D fighter, no matter how ty. FXFighter held me over until I got a Sega Saturn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bought FXFighter on release, as well. Virtua Fighter 2 blew me away in the arcades so much, that I needed a 3D fighter, no matter how ty. FXFighter held me over until I got a Sega Saturn.
    Ouch, the Saturn was such a flop in the US. I was surprised to find out it did pretty well in Japan though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ouch, the Saturn was such a flop in the US. I was surprised to find out it did pretty well in Japan though.
    the Saturn, I had that piece of too. I remember being at Toys R Us with my dad in the summer of '95 I think. I saw the Saturn there and I was like "holy " and begged my dad to get it for me that same day. He got it for me, for the low price of $399 in 1995, which with inflation today would be like $600 I'm guessing. I was a kid, I didn't know how much money was back then. Anyway, I feel bad for him since $400 was a ton of money and the thing was such a ing flop that I rarely played because the games mostly sucked but there was a good year or so where I had a lot of fun.

I think the launch games that I got were Clockwork Knights and Virtua Fighter. CK was just a horrible game, holy . VF had its problems but it was fun. Then months later, Sega released VF Remix which was Virtua Fighter but with updated graphics and wow, that game blew my mind. But yeah, the best one was Virtua Fighter 2. I also had a lot of fun with Virtual On, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix. I remember you could fight freaking Daytona USA cars against one another in Fighters Megamix. Fighting Vipers was also great game, it had a gimmick where your characters' armor just started to breakaway if you were hit enough. But the most fun I had was with Virtual On, that game was an acquired taste from what I gathered throughout the years. You either liked it or you didn't but back then but to me, it was so much fun. Fighting mechs with the camera behind in a 3rd person view and each mech were unique enough that you favored one over the other because of their strengths and weaknesses. Such a great game.

But apparently what made the Saturn (and I didn't know until way later) were the Saturn imports from Japan. Like baseline bum said, the Saturn was huge over there and it had such a huge library. But if I knew anything about importing games back in '95. The American version only had 258 games while the Japanese version had 1,265 games.
    Last edited by NASpurs; 07-26-2017 at 09:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ouch at all. The Saturn library was stronger than playstation's for the first couple of years. All those great Sega arcade ports (VF2, Virtual On, Virtua Cop, Sega Rally, Fighting Vipers, etc). And since the Saturn had a better 2d chip than the PS1, the best ports of Darkstalkers and Sf alpha were on there.

And then you had original ips like nights and panzer dragoon. Saturn also had the best baseball and soccer games in world series baseball and worldwide soccer 97, which stomped fifa in the reviews.

Really underrated system.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 07-26-2017 at 09:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Saturn, I had that piece of too. I remember being at Toys R Us with my dad in the summer of '95 I think. I saw the Saturn there and I was like "holy " and begged my dad to get it for me that same day. He got it for me, for the low price of $399 in 1995, which with inflation today would be like $600 I'm guessing. I was a kid, I didn't know how much money was back then. Anyway, I feel bad for him since $400 was a ton of money and the thing was such a ing flop that I rarely played because the games mostly sucked but there was a good year or so where I had a lot of fun.

I think the launch games that I got were Clockwork Knights and Virtua Fighter. CK was just a horrible game, holy . VF had its problems but it was fun. Then months later, Sega released VF Remix which was Virtua Fighter but with updated graphics and wow, that game blew my mind. But yeah, the best one was Virtua Fighter 2. I also had a lot of fun with Virtual On, Fighting Vipers and Fighters Megamix. I remember you could fight freaking Daytona USA cars against one another in Fighters Megamix. Fighting Vipers was also great game, it had a gimmick where your characters' armor just started to breakaway if you were hit enough. But the most fun I had was with Virtual On, that game was an acquired taste from what I gathered throughout the years. You either liked it or you didn't but back then but to me, it was so much fun. Fighting mechs with the camera behind in a 3rd person view and each mech were unique enough that you favored one over the other because of their strengths and weaknesses. Such a great game.

But apparently what made the Saturn (and I didn't know until way later) were the Saturn imports from Japan. Like baseline bum said, the Saturn was huge over there and it had such a huge library. But if I knew anything about importing games back in '95. The American version only had 258 games while the Japanese version had 1,265 games.
    I had all those games. See my reply to bum. The saturn was really good actually. A lot of great arcade ports. PS1 didn't start to pull away library wise until 97. Ff7 was their killer app. Funny enough, panzer dragoon saga is the better game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Man wasn't the Daytona USA port terrible on Saturn? I remember loving that game in the arcade with its smooth 60 fps (back before I knew what fps were) and then playing console ports it felt like it was stuck in molasses.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 07-26-2017 at 11:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ouch at all. The Saturn library was stronger than playstation's for the first couple of years. All those great Sega arcade ports (VF2, Virtual On, Virtua Cop, Sega Rally, Fighting Vipers, etc). And since the Saturn had a better 2d chip than the PS1, the best ports of Darkstalkers and Sf alpha were on there.

And then you had original ips like nights and panzer dragoon. Saturn also had the best baseball and soccer games in world series baseball and worldwide soccer 97, which stomped fifa in the reviews.

Really underrated system.
    What? The Ps1 had some killer games in 97. Fifa 97 was neat and world cup 98 is one of the goats..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had all those games. See my reply to bum. The saturn was really good actually. A lot of great arcade ports. PS1 didn't start to pull away library wise until 97. Ff7 was their killer app. Funny enough, panzer dragoon saga is the better game.
    That's the problem though, it had a lot of great arcade ports but severely lacked traditional games. Too bad it was a to program for and it was severely lacking in the 3D department. Sony knew that gaming was headed towards 3D while Sega didn't really make the Saturn with that in mind. But as far as 2D games were concerned, the Saturn versions of 2D games were way better than the PSX versions. But yeah, Panzer Dragoon was a really good game. Nights was alright, it was cool and used that weird Saturn 3D controller that came packed in with the game. I remember buying that. Speaking of which, the regular six button Saturn controller was so ing good. One of the best controllers ever made imo.

So many quirky things too, those Sega Saturn game cases always ing broke. They were so flimsy. And I still remember the intro and menu when you powered the system to insert the CD. Good times despite its short life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man wasn't the Daytona USA port terrible on Saturn? I remember loving that game in the arcade with its smooth 60 fps (back before I knew what fps were) and then playing console ports it felt like it was stuck in molasses.
    Yeah I remember it sucking ass on the Saturn as well. Arcade games were always so far ahead of the consoles back in the 90s though. Eventually consoles caught up to the arcades in the late 90s when the Dreamcast came out. The Dreamcast will always be my #1 system. So ing good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no the Saturns lineup was not better than the PS1's, especially the first year.. Sega threw a ing curveball at the world and launched 9 months early to try and get the advantage on Sony..

My friend had a Saturn, I had a PS1, and there was almost nothing worthy of playing on that piece of other than the Sega arcade ports like VF, Daytona, etc..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Dreamcast was an amazing console though.. So many good games, and the jump to the Dreamcast graphically was a larger margin than any other I'd seen besides maybe watching NBA 2K6 in motion on 360 for the first time. Watching that opening level on Sonic with the orca jumping behind you was epic IMO.. Resident Evil Code Veronica while fried on acid was one of my best moments in gaming as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseline bum remember that dumbass song on the le screen for Clockwork Knights?? Wellllll welllllll.. Still gives me nightmares

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseline bum remember that dumbass song on the le screen for Clockwork Knights?? Wellllll welllllll.. Still gives me nightmares
    Never heard of that game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never heard of that game
    My bad, it was NASpurs post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow Just Cause 3 is one of the included PS Plus games for August. You almost never see a big budget PS4 game on the PS Plus list. Though I heard the PS4 and XB1 versions are supposed to have really bad framerates (my PC plays it at a pretty solid 60 fps).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow Just Cause 3 is one of the included PS Plus games for August. You almost never see a big budget PS4 game on the PS Plus list. Though I heard the PS4 and XB1 versions are supposed to have really bad framerates (my PC plays it at a pretty solid 60 fps).
    Is JC3 worth the download? I loved JC 2.. the storyline was god awful along with the cutscenes and voice acting but I mainly just like doing stunts and killing people in amusing ways..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is JC3 worth the download? I loved JC 2.. the storyline was god awful along with the cutscenes and voice acting but I mainly just like doing stunts and killing people in amusing ways..
    JC2 is MILES better, but JC3 wasn't bad, IMO... just way cheesier...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no the Saturns lineup was not better than the PS1's, especially the first year.. Sega threw a ing curveball at the world and launched 9 months early to try and get the advantage on Sony..

My friend had a Saturn, I had a PS1, and there was almost nothing worthy of playing on that piece of other than the Sega arcade ports like VF, Daytona, etc..
    Yes it was (in the first two years, not overall) Did you read Next Generation back then? (if you don't know, Next Gen was considered the "mature" magazine for hardcore gamers in contrast to mags like Gamepro and EGM, which were targeted toward kids). In 1996, they released their 100 greatest games of all-time issue (I have it right here). 5 games made the list from the Playstation's library, with the highest being Tekken 2 at #22. 7 games from the Saturn's library made the list, with VF2 ranking the highest at #6. I can also dig out my 1996 buying guide from Gameplayers that does recommend gamers to buy a PS1 since its future looks brighter, but also states that the Saturn's current library is stronger.

I'm sure you remember that 5th generation consoles back then were built around fighting games, racing games, and sports games. Genres like FPSes (on consoles), third person shooters, and RPGs were either terrible (FPSes on consoles), in their infancy, or niche. And developers were still figuring out how to do 3D platformers right.

Taste is subjective, obviously, but VF2 and Fighting Vipers out-rated Tekken 2 and Toshinden in virtually all the mags. Sega Rally out-rated Ridge Racer. You had games like Virtua Cop and Virtual On. The best ports of Capcom's 2D fighters were on the Saturn. The best reviewed soccer and baseball games were on the Saturn (I would also personally put NBA Action ahead of Live and Showdown, but Saturn had nothing like NFL Gameday). Panzer Dragoon was a better rail shooter than Warhawk (which was a big game for the PS1 in its formative days) and Nights was better than Jumping Flash. The really only killer exclusives Playstation had at this time were Resident Evil and Wipeout XL.

Obviously, the Playstation would pull massively ahead in the coming years, but from 1995-1997, the Saturn's library was stronger (per reviews, obviously. If you like Ridge Racer more than Sega Rally, or Tekken better than VF, then more power to ya. It's subjective at the end of the day).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only played it long enough to see how it performed on my PC, so I can't comment. Fitgirl has an 18GB repack of it, though her repacks can take a couple of hours to install even if you have an overclocked i7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Dreamcast was an amazing console though.. So many good games, and the jump to the Dreamcast graphically was a larger margin than any other I'd seen besides maybe watching NBA 2K6 in motion on 360 for the first time. Watching that opening level on Sonic with the orca jumping behind you was epic IMO.. Resident Evil Code Veronica while fried on acid was one of my best moments in gaming as well.
    Dreamcast was amazing, much better graphically than anything else at the time. Plus the VMU was so unique.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been playing ME:A... game had a lot of bad rep, but it's not halfway bad, IMO
    Not exactly a glowing endorsement, but good to hear nonetheless. I still plan on picking it up when it bottoms out in price.

Thread Information