Page 88 of 376 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 9386
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah... can someone explain to me why a platformer that looks like it can be played on my TI-89 calculator has gotten to much acclaim?

i mean i get dinosaurs like midnightpulp refuse to play anything modern, but its absurd tbh
    I like fancy 3d gfx as much as anyone else but those games require crazy budgets and much like Hollywood you end up with safe rehashes of the same gameplay/stories. 2d games can be fun, I can actually Tetris on a calculator and it's not less fun because the bricks are in grayscale. Celeste is a tight platformer, the controls are solid and the levels well designed- challenging but doable. It's fun, provided you like platformers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will be getting Yakuza 0 as soon as I finish RE7.. no HDD soace

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just started Yakuza Kiwami
    Finished it. It was ok, a bit repe ive. Not really into Japanese culture, so it was kinda meh. It's not a bad game, just not my cup of tea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finished it. It was ok, a bit repe ive. Not really into Japanese culture, so it was kinda meh. It's not a bad game, just not my cup of tea.
    Kiwami is a ps2 game. Apperently its compared to 0.

Its the reason why I cant get myself to play kiwami. Apperently 0 is just way too good. Makes sense because games in ps2 days werent exactly known for top notch writing and plot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have listened to Baselinebum and ditched kiwami. It was never going to be as good as 0 since 0 is a ps4 game with ps4 standards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man no more good games in backlog. I dont want to play kiwami cause everyones telling me its extremely weak in plot and writing and acting compared to 0..which makes sense since its a ps2 game.

I'm a sucker for great plot but just cant seem to think of any games now that I havent played with great story.

I guess I just have to wait for the resident evil remake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kiwami is a ps2 game. Apperently its compared to 0.

Its the reason why I cant get myself to play kiwami. Apperently 0 is just way too good. Makes sense because games in ps2 days werent exactly known for top notch writing and plot.
    I'll probably play zero at some point. There's really not a whole lot coming out until Days Gone, IIRC...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might buy a ps3 for 40 bucks. Made a mistake selling.

Just looking at the list, theres some good games I havent played yet. Havent even played any of the bioshock games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Japanese style is exactly what I'm thinking I'll dislike about the game as I hate slant eyed Japs, but baseline bum compared it to Streets of Rage so I'll at least try it out

Other than that, I wanna play RE2 Remake and the new Ace Combat.. everything else is backlog

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Japanese style is exactly what I'm thinking I'll dislike about the game as I hate slant eyed Japs, but baseline bum compared it to Streets of Rage so I'll at least try it out

Other than that, I wanna play RE2 Remake and the new Ace Combat.. everything else is backlog
    It plays like a BUMP post, as in you're constantly beating the out of everything. Besides, CPY has a money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied with your game.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might buy a ps3 for 40 bucks. Made a mistake selling.

Just looking at the list, theres some good games I havent played yet. Havent even played any of the bioshock games.
    If they're not Playstation exclusives you'd be better off with a 360. And most of the good PS3 exclusives are already on PS4. Off the top of my head the only really good PS3 exclusives not on PS4 are Demon's Souls, Ni No Kuni, inFAMOUS 1 & 2, the Ratchet & Clank Future series, and the PS2 remasters like God of War 1 & 2, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank Trilogy, etc.

Also you can play better versions of the Bioshock games on PS4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I decided to check out dead by daylight since chris keeps going on about it.

Lol the gameplay is kinda pretty ty but I can see why it's somewhat addictive to play. There's a certain fulfilling aspect to surviving the killer or sacrificing all of them and winning. But it seems more like a game to play with friends to kill time. It's like the same thing as Friday the 13th
    Last edited by Leetonidas; 01-20-2019 at 02:04 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It plays like a BUMP post, as in you're constantly beating the out of everything. Besides, CPY has a money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied with your game.
    I'm renting Yakuza 0, tbh, check out what's the hype about... like I said, the game wasn't bad, I'm not a fan of the setting, that's all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I decided to check out dead by daylight since chris keeps going on about it.

Lol the gameplay is kinda pretty ty but I can see why it's somewhat addictive to play. There's a certain fulfilling aspect to surviving the killer or sacrificing all of them and winning. But it seems more like a game to play with friends to kill time. It's like the same thing as Friday the 13th
    I'm a big fan of the concept of both games.. but just watching a Youtube video of it in action and I don't want it even if they're marked down for 10 bucks.. The animations look stiff and re ed, and in a game like this it's ing ruined if there is no immersion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    \Besides, CPY has a money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied with your game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah... can someone explain to me why a platformer that looks like it can be played on my TI-89 calculator has gotten to much acclaim?

i mean i get dinosaurs like midnightpulp refuse to play anything modern, but its absurd tbh
    I don't refuse playing modern games, I said they're dumbed down in general and not as well designed as games in the past. Most feel like interactive movies more than a "game."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't refuse playing modern games, I said they're dumbed down in general and not as well designed as games in the past. Most feel like interactive movies more than a "game."
    Dude you have never played a single modern game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude you have never played a single modern game
    One of the most highly reviewed AAA game last year was Spiderman. What's different about it than the dozens of open world games that came before it (i.e. Infamous, Prototype, the Arkham series, etc, etc)? Isn't the Last of Us like your favorite game ever? stealth mechanics even compared to the first Splinter Cell, limited enemy variation, and a dumb 3rd act. What's fundamentally different about Red Dead than Grand Theft Auto 3?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the most highly reviewed AAA game last year was Spiderman. What's different about it than the dozens of open world games that came before it (i.e. Infamous, Prototype, the Arkham series, etc, etc)? Isn't the Last of Us like your favorite game ever? stealth mechanics even compared to the first Splinter Cell, limited enemy variation, and a dumb 3rd act. What's fundamentally different about Red Dead than Grand Theft Auto 3?
    How many of those listed les you played

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a big fan of the concept of both games.. but just watching a Youtube video of it in action and I don't want it even if they're marked down for 10 bucks.. The animations look stiff and re ed , and in a game like this it's ing ruined if there is no immersion.
    Pretty much and it definitely s up the gameplay...and for how slow and stiff your killer moves, it impedes gameplay. Like how lame is that this murderous killer is thwarted by a crate being pushed over and chases the survivor as slow as ing possible. It's fun when you kill people but the gameplay mechanics make the game feel like it's from 2012 not 2016

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many of those listed les you played
    The fact he is asking what the difference between GTA3 and RDR2 tells you all you need to know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact he is asking what the difference between GTA3 and RDR2 tells you all you need to know
    they're both 3rd person games where you break the law. that means they're identical!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they're both 3rd person games where you break the law. that means they're identical!
    I wonder what game would change his mind

My bet is on GOW

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean yeah, there's some truth to what you're saying. because modern games place a heavier emphasis on narrative, the developers WANT you to see the game through. i think this is a big deal in rockstar games. im currently playing RDR2, love it, but if i just wanted to play through the main story and beat it, sure, it wouldn't be a challenge. you could ignore side content/activities and plow through the main game and its basically a huge set piece without too much challenge. however, for me, the game gives you a lot of incentive to loot, and the only way to effectively do that is to unlock upgrades to your satchel that allow you to carry absurd amounts of items. and that means you have to really master how to hunt, find some very elusive creatures, make sure they're pristine condition, and execute a clean kill so you dont damage the pelt at all. there's quite a learning curve for this. early on i was struggling to even get a single clean kill on a deer, which in hindsight is pretty hilarious.

i do think rockstar games are kind of a different category... but i still think its absurd to take RDR2 and GTA3 and say they're basically re-skins of the same product. GTA V and RDR2 are the 2 most recent rockstar games to come out, i love them both, but they play drastically different, even if they have the same narrative heavy approach.

but that doesnt' personify "modern gaming" its just a sign that increased budgets and improvements in the underlying tech give developers a lot more variety to work with. you can still play sidescrollers, platformers, shoot-em-ups... but you also have the options to play this sort of game. you aren't forced to play narrative intensive games, and its unfair to suggest that modern games only follow that path.

i dont understand your gripe with the last of us. lets say you dont care for narrative/storyline that much, since you want a "game" and not a "movie game." even then, my first (and so far, only) playthrough of that game was gripping. i played on hard difficulty, not survivor or grounded (though i definitely am itching to go back and play on grounded)... and the atmosphere of the game was flawless tbh. on hard, there are a lot of moments where you find yourself pretty short on supplies, and you want to scavenge, but with your unfamiliarity of the levels, aren't sure if you can freely roam about or if some infected is sitting around the next corner. or more specifically, when you're in the basement and need to start the generator, it's ing terrifying .

while you might think the stealth mechanics aren't the best of all time, and that may well be true, the game will punish you for blowing stealth because you are often so limited in supplies. you also cant just go and stealth kill anybody because humans will react to corpses you leave on the ground. you cant afford to just waste melee weapons because you basically need to save those for clickers. not to mention mid, when you play on survivor/grounded, you lose the "listen mode" which is something you probably rely on a ton during your first play through, even on hard.

older games required massive learning curves because those games are able to be beaten in less than 1 hour once you've learned it, and the developers could never justify a full game price. so the "game over" concept was a necessary strategy they pulled from quarter-eating arcade games. but a lot of modern games do come with similar learning curves, but you have to play at the appropriate difficulty. again, as developers want to reach a wide range of audiences, they can dumb down difficulty in games where your character is a near invincible damage sponge. play the arkham asylum on hard difficulty... its not the most challenging game, but you realize how quickly batman goes down. play it again on normal and you realize just how much more of a margin of error you have. i agree that turning enemies into damage sponges is a poor method of ramping difficulty, but ramping down YOUR character's health is more intuitive. it means you cant be half paying attention and lazily spamming buttons. you need to be precise. you previously claimed you preferred old shooters because you died in one shot and didn't have regen. that's purely a damage threshold preference, and not a game design quirk. heck you can play HOD on hardcore difficulty online and basically have that same dynamic.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-21-2019 at 02:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thats a jumbled pile of thoughts tbh... because there's just so much that i think you've characterized, from past posts i've seen from you.

Thread Information