Page 89 of 376 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 9386
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what game would change his mind

My bet is on GOW
    probably, based on how you've characterized the game. it's next on my list after i finish red dead.

from what i've read, im just gonna play one difficulty level below "give me a god of war"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably, based on how you've characterized the game. it's next on my list after i finish red dead.

from what i've read, im just gonna play one difficulty level below "give me a god of war"
    Give me god of war is torture. Def play hard though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i cant comment on gta v red dead because i havent played any GTA since 3 and never played read dead (hoping for a PC release for either one, they look great).

but I can comment on the last of us. For weird cir stantial reasons I was alone at a friend's house for a day and he had a (then) shiny new ps4 and the critically acclaimed Last of Us. I thought I was in for a treat but couldnt get past the first 30 minutes due to boredom so I went right back to nba2k. its a movie, not a game. I used to play tons of adventure games, a good story is not a problem, on the contrary, it can make poor gameplay bearable. But having basically 0 weight in the story is a problem, if you are going 10 minutes at a time watching without a button press thats not a game, its a frustrated movie director who went to video games.

The other problem is what kind of story. For example the first couple AC games had pretty good stories, or the original deus ex, of course some of it is out there but also in a good way, they were taking risks, casting the pope as a villain or the UN etc. Nowadays though everything is the same super safe daddy redemption story, not sure how many times people are going to play that crap and pretend its still interesting. there are obviously exceptions, the witcher 3 had several great stories, but stuff like the tomb raider series, as much as the presentation and mechanics improve the stories just get more and more re ed. whats the difference between AC origins and shadow of the tomb raider? Collect this, fetch that, grind here and level up there. they play almost exactly the same way, i see no one has touched the open world super hero games that midnight listed that are basically the same phenomenon (and they can be fun, i liked a lot of those games! execution counts!) but it seems rather silly to suggest that they are acclaimed because of their stories. they are acclaimed because they are pretty power fantasies with elaborate set pieces, the story is largely irrelevant in these games.

as far as a challenge, I guarantee you its way more of a challenge to be a tetris grand master than it is to %100 games like uncharted or last of us. and thats fine, a game doesnt have to be challenging to be enjoyable. I really liked games like minimetro or world of goo and they are basically impossible to lose.

and at spurraider questioning Celeste for having too much acclaim, then pulling the "modern gaming can be diverse no one forces you to like narrative heavy games" line. You think maybe there's enough supply and demand for all types of games, and quality isnt exclusive to any one genre or time period?? then why trash Celeste, which you evidently havent played?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i cant comment on gta v red dead because i havent played any GTA since 3 and never played read dead (hoping for a PC release for either one, they look great).

but I can comment on the last of us. For weird cir stantial reasons I was alone at a friend's house for a day and he had a (then) shiny new ps4 and the critically acclaimed Last of Us. I thought I was in for a treat but couldnt get past the first 30 minutes due to boredom so I went right back to nba2k. its a movie, not a game. I used to play tons of adventure games, a good story is not a problem, on the contrary, it can make poor gameplay bearable. But having basically 0 weight in the story is a problem, if you are going 10 minutes at a time watching without a button press thats not a game, its a frustrated movie director who went to video games.

The other problem is what kind of story. For example the first couple AC games had pretty good stories, or the original deus ex, of course some of it is out there but also in a good way, they were taking risks, casting the pope as a villain or the UN etc. Nowadays though everything is the same super safe daddy redemption story, not sure how many times people are going to play that crap and pretend its still interesting. there are obviously exceptions, the witcher 3 had several great stories, but stuff like the tomb raider series, as much as the presentation and mechanics improve the stories just get more and more re ed. whats the difference between AC origins and shadow of the tomb raider? Collect this, fetch that, grind here and level up there. they play almost exactly the same way, i see no one has touched the open world super hero games that midnight listed that are basically the same phenomenon (and they can be fun, i liked a lot of those games! execution counts!) but it seems rather silly to suggest that they are acclaimed because of their stories. they are acclaimed because they are pretty power fantasies with elaborate set pieces, the story is largely irrelevant in these games.

as far as a challenge, I guarantee you its way more of a challenge to be a tetris grand master than it is to %100 games like uncharted or last of us. and thats fine, a game doesnt have to be challenging to be enjoyable. I really liked games like minimetro or world of goo and they are basically impossible to lose.

and at spurraider questioning Celeste for having too much acclaim, then pulling the "modern gaming can be diverse no one forces you to like narrative heavy games" line. You think maybe there's enough supply and demand for all types of games, and quality isnt exclusive to any one genre or time period?? then why trash Celeste, which you evidently havent played?
    the introduction to TLOU is very much a movie. the first 15-20 minutes is basically when you're playing as Joel's daughter or Joel running through streets while carrying his daughter. then the next 20 minutes or so is basically an extended tutorial as Joel and Tess are approaching Robert.

one thing i will agree with, as a general point, is that in modern games, you cant just pop in a new game for 30 minutes and have fun. my bro in law isn't a gamer anymore, and every now and again when he comes over to visit, he just wants to pop in a casually play a new game, but the openings are always so cinematic that he just gets bored and puts the controller down. he tried god of war, ratchet and clank, just cause 3. all games that have high acclaim that i plan to play, but he just got bored because the games start off very slow. the only game he enjoyed that way was spider-man which sorta starts right away and blends the tutorial with an introductory action packed sequence. newer games definitely dont have that arcade vibe of just playing for 25 minutes of fun and putting it away. you have to invest in the game to get the payoff.

as for celeste, i just feel like basic 2d platformer is an outdated game model, which at the time was the best they could do with the tech. i feel the same way about pinball machines tbh

i think its nuts to say the stories dont matter in modern action games. the story of infamous 1 is pretty ing chilling, and when you play it a second time (the game's karma system basically means you SHOULD be playing the game at least twice, anyway), you really start to pick up on all the hints you missed, and it makes the game that much better. infamous 2 wasn't as good story-wise (it was still solid, and the good/evil system imo was improved upon with the ice/fire stuff, but the overall story wasn't on the same tier as infamous 1), but the game play was SO much better and smoother that i can go back and play through it over and over and still enjoy it. and on the harder difficulties you die pretty ing quick. means you cant just run around thinking ur an unstoppable destructive force, which would make sense as a criticism of the lower difficulty levels that are akin to using invulnerability cheat codes

one of the reasons spider man got so much acclaim is that they created an original story instead of tying it to a movie, and its story is considered to be basically as good as any of his movies tbh
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-21-2019 at 03:04 PM.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    like i said before, LoU is meant to be played on grounded, which is where the real challenge in combat lies, especially if youre all hurr durr stealth is too easy. and yes, it is so good because of its story + gameplay.

but i dont mind when people talk down on games like that, because it makes it easy for me to know i shouldnt really take their opinion on gaming seriously. if youre one of those hipsters who like to be contrary and hate on popular games just because, thats cool, but go post somewhere else tbh. if you havent actually played the game at all other than watching the opening cinematics then why bother even commenting on it

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    also, did you really just ask what the difference between a platformer like SotTR and an open world ARPG like AC Odyssey? its like youre asking "whats the difference between football and basketball? ball goes back and forth, points and scored, same thing." they are not even REMOTELY similar games.

Tetris is ing trash. if you like lame puzzle games thats cool, but please stfu when trying to compare it to a game like LoU. crofl "teris is harder than last of us!" yeah, no it isnt. take your last paragraph there and apply it to your posts. if youve never even actually played any of these games (playing LoU for 30 minutes it not actually playing it) then why are you even commenting on it?

why do posters feel the need to come into the tech forum and talk down on modern games? no one cares if you think Contra is the peak of gaming bro

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as for celeste, i just feel like basic 2d platformer is an outdated game model, which at the time was the best they could do with the tech. i feel the same way about pinball machines tbh
    Well agree to disagree then, pinball is awesome, and many modern games use pinball mechanics to great effect (peggle, Yuki's island express- yes they are kids games and yes they are fun). 2d platforming is basically the foundation of the most famous, popular game franchises ever, fail to see why it's outdated when Celeste does it, don't remember anyone complaining when Limbo was the rage a year ago- maybe you just need gore for some reason? Or celeste's emo story rubs people the wrong way, I can see that but it doesn't take away from the controls and level design, don't see why someone who likes platformers wouldn't like it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also, did you really just ask what the difference between a platformer like SotTR and an open world ARPG like AC Odyssey? its like youre asking "whats the difference between football and basketball? ball goes back and forth, points and scored, same thing." they are not even REMOTELY similar games.

Tetris is ing trash. if you like lame puzzle games thats cool, but please stfu when trying to compare it to a game like LoU. crofl "teris is harder than last of us!" yeah, no it isnt. take your last paragraph there and apply it to your posts. if youve never even actually played any of these games (playing LoU for 30 minutes it not actually playing it) then why are you even commenting on it?

why do posters feel the need to come into the tech forum and talk down on modern games? no one cares if you think Contra is the peak of gaming bro
    Don't think old games are automatically better than modern ones at all, never said that. Don't like bullet type games at all.

As for last of us, hey if you like 15 20 minute cutscenes that's great, when I want to watch a movie I watch a movie.

Now I did play origins and sotr extensively, please tell me what the difference is? How is sotr a platformer and origins open world? I see absolutely no difference in their structure and gameplay beyond setting and story, though I did like sotr more than origins as it felt like a tighter package vs the typical ubisoft laundry list of chores

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you really claim to have played shadow of the Tomb raider and AC Origins "extensively" and you can't tell what the difference is stylistically then idk what the point of this discussion is. Maybe you're just not someone who really is into games aside from sports games? Idk man. But I've played and beaten LoU at least 6 times and this whole "everything is a 15 min custscene" narrative you're trying to spin here is just plain false.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well agree to disagree then, pinball is awesome, and many modern games use pinball mechanics to great effect (peggle, Yuki's island express- yes they are kids games and yes they are fun). 2d platforming is basically the foundation of the most famous, popular game franchises ever, fail to see why it's outdated when Celeste does it, don't remember anyone complaining when Limbo was the rage a year ago- maybe you just need gore for some reason? Or celeste's emo story rubs people the wrong way, I can see that but it doesn't take away from the controls and level design, don't see why someone who likes platformers wouldn't like it.
    i probably woulda complained about Limbo if i was more active in this sub at the time.

i basically didnt game at all from 2014 through the end of 2018, so i've had to do a lot of catching up with the scene. i just got my ps4 in november so far all i've played have been spider man, the last of us, and i'm about 2/3 through RDR2 (also mixed in arkham asylum, which i had previously played on the ps3).

end of the year they do all the awards and and i heard a lot of stuff about celeste.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pinball is awesome
    also i think we can just end the conversation here tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said everything is, said I couldn't get into the game because I got bored of the excessively long intro. Plenty of games have stories and tutorials to start without being that long and that passive.

As for sotr and origins, only difference gameplay wise I can see is that origins had camels and horses to ride, and the hawk to scout areas. Otherwise everything else is about the same, collect this, craft that, buy and sell x thing here or there, side quests, fetch quests, some combat and some stealth here or there. They both have open worlds, and structured indoor environments with some light puzzles which I guess is the platforming you refer to. Don't see how either could be called an RPG, the skill trees in both fill up quickly , it's not like you choose one build over another..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never said everything is, said I couldn't get into the game because I got bored of the excessively long intro. Plenty of games have stories and tutorials to start without being that long and that passive.

As for sotr and origins, only difference gameplay wise I can see is that origins had camels and horses to ride, and the hawk to scout areas. Otherwise everything else is about the same, collect this, craft that, buy and sell x thing here or there, side quests, fetch quests, some combat and some stealth here or there. They both have open worlds, and structured indoor environments with some light puzzles which I guess is the platforming you refer to. Don't see how either could be called an RPG, the skill trees in both fill up quickly , it's not like you choose one build over another..
    i haven't played AC Odyssey yet, but from what i've read you absolutely do have to choose your build. there's a level cap and it's not possible to unlock all abilities in a single run. you have to choose some and exclude some.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pinball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    off niglet, pinball rules...

BTW, if you hate long story holdups, skip Yakuza 0 right now...

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    also i think we can just end the conversation here tbh
    whats next skiball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i haven't played AC Odyssey yet, but from what i've read you absolutely do have to choose your build. there's a level cap and it's not possible to unlock all abilities in a single run. you have to choose some and exclude some.
    IIRC, you can reset stats, but not sure, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    off niglet, pinball rules...

BTW, if you hate long story holdups, skip Yakuza 0 right now...
    pinball

i like the way bb and pinoymarauder have been describing yakuza 0, will probably add it to my list of games to get later on. i think i'd enjoy it much more than persona, which bb also advocates for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pinball

i like the way bb and pinoymarauder have been describing yakuza 0, will probably add it to my list of games to get later on. i think i'd enjoy it much more than persona, which bb also advocates for.
    still have to check Persona

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pinball

I love Persona but you gotta like turn based RPGs. Bloodborne is the main game I have been advocating to you man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i havent played a turn based rpg since i played gen 2 pokemon in the early 2000's tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walmart has it for $19.93 currently in store

https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent.../?sku=52539548

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Persona but you gotta like turn based RPGs. Bloodborne is the main game I have been advocating to you man.
    yeah and you've already convinced me on that, i'll end up buying the complete edition for sure. just not in a rush given i already have a pretty sizable backlog.

one of the games i was able to pick up from my cousin is MGS 5, for example. according to howlongtobeat, that is longer than ing RDR2, which is nuts... https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=5918

i probably wont get through my current log for several months. again, a lot can change depending on what happens with my potential moving situation. if i end up moving to a different state come summer time i'll have an absurd amount of free time on my hands and will burn through games a lot quicker than now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i havent played a turn based rpg since i played gen 2 pokemon in the early 2000's tbh
    Pokemon kind of copied the Shin Megami Tensei series, which is what Persona spun off from

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pokemon kind of copied the Shin Megami Tensei series, which is what Persona spun off from
    pokemon was only an rpg because you had to character (team) build... there was no actual choice as far as the actual game/story. no dialogue options, etc. if i'm going to start getting into RPG's, its going to be the ones that are not turn based tbh... things like bloodborne, witcher 3, i'll give a shot.

Thread Information