Page 231 of 376 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241281331 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 9381
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i played it for about half an hour and yeah, it's definitely not a great port the cut scenes are definitely where i see the poorest performance. frequent stuttering and frame drops. gonna have to wait for some updates
    Man you should refund that and then pirate it if there are any patches to fix it. No reason to pay $50 for a broken piece of .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some inspiration for you baseline bum

These guys are basically saying dont bother foreigners.

I wanna bend the thumbnail chick over and give her the good old Dale special though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some inspiration for you baseline bum

These guys are basically saying dont bother foreigners.

I wanna bend the thumbnail chick over and give her the good old Dale special though.
    It's really hard at first when you can't understand anything interesting, but the more you know the easier it is to learn more and the easier it is to immerse in manga, games, anime, etc. It's funny she brings up hashi for both chopsticks and bridge, which isn't typically that hard to tell apart honestly... In speech you can tell them apart in speech because haSHI is bridge, while HAshi is chopsticks, where the CAPS indicate speaking at a higher pitch than you do the lowercase. And in writing they're easy to tell apart since 橋=bridge and 箸=chopsticks. For sake = salmon vs sake = alcohol/sake, people will often say shake when they mean salmon and then throw a polite o on front and say osake when they mean sake. In writing sake = 酒 for alcohol/sake is easy to see while the fish will usually be written 鮭 or サケ.

The guy who talks about the falling and rising of intonation is right though. The pitch accent (eg haSHI vs HAshi) is an enormous pain in the ass, and most people learning JP as a second language don't bother with it. Plus pitch accent is completely different in Kansai (eg Kyoto, Osaka, Nara) vs Kanto (eg Tokyo, Yokohama, Chiba). I do study Kantou pitch accent only because it makes things easier to say when you try to follow one pitch accent for everything.

To me the grammar is the hardest part of it. For example, the words "you" (like[ness]) and "naru" (to become) combine in confusing ways, where "you" is pronounced like "Yo my ". The grammar can be really hard to process in real time, at least for someone like me that has only had maybe ~1000 hours listening to the language.

Thankfully the sounds in Japanese are no problem for native English speakers to hear and process, unlike say Mandarin where every syllable can have five different variations thanks to the five tones in Mandarin (even worse in Cantonese where there are 7 or 8 tones). There is only one sound in Japanese I have a hard time making, and that's the "broadcaster's accent g", which will make the "ga" sound some weird weighted average of how we'd say ga, na, and nga. Here is what I mean: check the pronunciation of 映画 = eiga, which means movie, at this link below:

https://forvo.com/word/%E6%98%A0%E7%94%BB/#ja

Strawberrybrown has that Tokyo broadcaster's accent where it sounds kind of like a cross between einga, eiga, and eina.

While jphonetics has a more standard accent where it sounds like straight eiga.

That nga sound is more pronounced with broadcasters and old people, while the ga sound is more universal with younger people and people outside the Tokyo area.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    finished witcher 3 campaign (still have both DLC's to play through)

i didnt quite hit every single little question mark location, though i did my fair share of exploring. otherwise completed all side quests i came across

it was really good but i dont think its a 10/10 game. the combat was too stale. i was playing hard difficulty and it just got too robotic and predictable. i think AC Odyssey actually had better combat. what it did do really well has actually write a very good narrative, and most side quests were pretty interesting. i did get fatigued by too many story elements (i stopped trying to follow the Novigrad plot when looking for Dandelion... too many names to keep track of... son, djikstra, dudu, zoltan, priscilla, king of beggars. i started just skipping all the dialogue because it was too much. and toward the end of the game i found myself doing the same.

like a lot of these massive games, i dont think i could envision myself playing it a second time. but the writing in the game was a-tier (not S tier plot like RDR2). a lot of effort into every little side quest. the monster variety was good enough to keep the game somewhat interesting, but eventually even with the writing, all the quest mechanics started feeling re-done (walk around with witcher senses), and the combat wasnt quite fun enough to keep it fresh. combat in games like bloodborne, sekiro, god of war were so addicting that i didnt care if anything felt redone.

i think its an 8 or 8.5 game to me

will see about DLC

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really hard at first when you can't understand anything interesting, but the more you know the easier it is to learn more and the easier it is to immerse in manga, games, anime, etc. It's funny she brings up hashi for both chopsticks and bridge, which isn't typically that hard to tell apart honestly... In speech you can tell them apart in speech because haSHI is bridge, while HAshi is chopsticks, where the CAPS indicate speaking at a higher pitch than you do the lowercase. And in writing they're easy to tell apart since 橋=bridge and 箸=chopsticks. For sake = salmon vs sake = alcohol/sake, people will often say shake when they mean salmon and then throw a polite o on front and say osake when they mean sake. In writing sake = 酒 for alcohol/sake is easy to see while the fish will usually be written 鮭 or サケ.

The guy who talks about the falling and rising of intonation is right though. The pitch accent (eg haSHI vs HAshi) is an enormous pain in the ass, and most people learning JP as a second language don't bother with it. Plus pitch accent is completely different in Kansai (eg Kyoto, Osaka, Nara) vs Kanto (eg Tokyo, Yokohama, Chiba). I do study Kantou pitch accent only because it makes things easier to say when you try to follow one pitch accent for everything.

To me the grammar is the hardest part of it. For example, the words "you" (like[ness]) and "naru" (to become) combine in confusing ways, where "you" is pronounced like "Yo my ". The grammar can be really hard to process in real time, at least for someone like me that has only had maybe ~1000 hours listening to the language.

Thankfully the sounds in Japanese are no problem for native English speakers to hear and process, unlike say Mandarin where every syllable can have five different variations thanks to the five tones in Mandarin (even worse in Cantonese where there are 7 or 8 tones). There is only one sound in Japanese I have a hard time making, and that's the "broadcaster's accent g", which will make the "ga" sound some weird weighted average of how we'd say ga, na, and nga. Here is what I mean: check the pronunciation of 映画 = eiga, which means movie, at this link below:

https://forvo.com/word/%E6%98%A0%E7%94%BB/#ja

Strawberrybrown has that Tokyo broadcaster's accent where it sounds kind of like a cross between einga, eiga, and eina.

While jphonetics has a more standard accent where it sounds like straight eiga.

That nga sound is more pronounced with broadcasters and old people, while the ga sound is more universal with younger people and people outside the Tokyo area.
    huh?? when i studied mandarin there were four tones! that is definitely the hardest part about character based languages, the phonetics are so hard if you're not there and immersed and even then locals have to help you out a bit yeah, my mandarins gone to , down to dirty words and ordering liquor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    huh?? when i studied mandarin there were four tones! that is definitely the hardest part about character based languages, the phonetics are so hard if you're not there and immersed and even then locals have to help you out a bit yeah, my mandarins gone to , down to dirty words and ordering liquor
    I thought there was a flat tone too and that some people called that the fifth tone? Oh well, I know all about the Sinitic languages

Don't you only have one or two readings for every hanzi character though? I envy Chinese for how much more elegant their writing system is. Isn't most hanzi given by a radical the gives a vague meaning and then a component for pronunciation? At least that's how on-yomi usually work in Japanese (by on-yomi I mean the Chinese derived reading). For instance, in Japanese when you see 同 as part of a kanji symbol it always has on-yomi "dou". So like 銅 = copper has the radical for metal on the left giving that vague meaning and then the component 同 indicating 銅 is pronounced "dou."

But Japan just ing stapled hanzi right onto their spoken language so you have this mess of readings. Like 同じ for same is pronounced "onaji", using the kun-yomi (Japanese derived reading) "ona". But unlike the Chinese on readings there is no rhyme or reason to the Japanese kun readings. Some kanji just have a ridiculous number of kun readings, such as 生 which can have:

* kun-reading 'i' in 生きる = ikiru = to live
    * kun-reading 'nama' in 生 = nama = raw
    * kun-reading 'u' in 生まれる = umareru = to be born
    * kun-read 'ha' in 生える = haeru = to grow

and many others. Though Japanese is so much easier to listen to. The grammar is a bas and so is the speed, but man I can't imagine training my ear to hear tones on every single syllable spoken in real-time.

But for the written language, Japanese is a lot like English where you really have no idea how a word is pronounced until you hear someone say it, because you don't know if you're using a kun reading or an on reading for each kanji or which kun reading or which on reading. And Japanese still gets multiple on readings for a lot of kanji owing to the different Chinese dialects.

BTW, you ever watch this youtuber named Xioama? ing kills me when he goes to Chinese restaurants and stores and talks to people there in English and then busts right into Mandarin, and sometimes Cantonese and Fuzhounese too.

I'd kill to speak Mandarin but ing Japanese is hard enough on its own to learn.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 08-10-2020 at 10:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh speaking of Japanese having ed up readings of kanji, 大人 is a bas .

Usually you'd read 大人= otona = adult (eg, large + person), though it can also be read dainin or daijin (also adult)

Now 人気 = ninki = popular (eg, person + feeling/spirit)

大 usually has reading dai or tai when it modifies another word as a prefix, so 大人気 = daininki = very popular (eg, large + popular).

But going back to 大人 = otona = adult, if instead you modify adult with 気 = feeling / spirit, you get

大人気 = otonage = mature (eg adult + feeling / spirit)

So , 大人気 = daininki and 大人気 = otonage are two completely different words written exactly the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh speaking of Japanese having ed up readings of kanji, 大人 is a bas .

Usually you'd read 大人= otona = adult (eg, large + person), though it can also be read dainin or daijin (also adult)

Now 人気 = ninki = popular (eg, person + feeling/spirit)

大 usually has reading dai or tai when it modifies another word as a prefix, so 大人気 = daininki = very popular (eg, large + popular).

But going back to 大人 = otona = adult, if instead you modify adult with 気 = feeling / spirit, you get

大人気 = otonage = mature (eg adult + feeling / spirit)

So , 大人気 = daininki and 大人気 = otonage are two completely different words written exactly the same.
    Agree. It's pretty much why I gave up on learning it and watching Netflix instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just use letters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's even worse then, Japanese has a billion words pronounced exactly the same, much more than English. It's why when you play games in Japanese, watch anime, watch JP TV, etc they often use a lot of puns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought there was a flat tone too and that some people called that the fifth tone? Oh well, I know all about the Sinitic languages

Don't you only have one or two readings for every hanzi character though? I envy Chinese for how much more elegant their writing system is. Isn't most hanzi given by a radical the gives a vague meaning and then a component for pronunciation? At least that's how on-yomi usually work in Japanese (by on-yomi I mean the Chinese derived reading). For instance, in Japanese when you see 同 as part of a kanji symbol it always has on-yomi "dou". So like 銅 = copper has the radical for metal on the left giving that vague meaning and then the component 同 indicating 銅 is pronounced "dou."

But Japan just ing stapled hanzi right onto their spoken language so you have this mess of readings. Like 同じ for same is pronounced "onaji", using the kun-yomi (Japanese derived reading) "ona". But unlike the Chinese on readings there is no rhyme or reason to the Japanese kun readings. Some kanji just have a ridiculous number of kun readings, such as 生 which can have:

* kun-reading 'i' in 生きる = ikiru = to live
    * kun-reading 'nama' in 生 = nama = raw
    * kun-reading 'u' in 生まれる = umareru = to be born
    * kun-read 'ha' in 生える = haeru = to grow

and many others. Though Japanese is so much easier to listen to. The grammar is a bas and so is the speed, but man I can't imagine training my ear to hear tones on every single syllable spoken in real-time.

But for the written language, Japanese is a lot like English where you really have no idea how a word is pronounced until you hear someone say it, because you don't know if you're using a kun reading or an on reading for each kanji or which kun reading or which on reading. And Japanese still gets multiple on readings for a lot of kanji owing to the different Chinese dialects.

BTW, you ever watch this youtuber named Xioama? ing kills me when he goes to Chinese restaurants and stores and talks to people there in English and then busts right into Mandarin, and sometimes Cantonese and Fuzhounese too.

I'd kill to speak Mandarin but ing Japanese is hard enough on its own to learn.
    yeah the writing uses radicals, its a little daunting coming from letters but once you get a hang of the radicals you can figure stuff out and it makes sense, just a matter of memory. i remember grammar being fairly easy too. but getting the pronunciation right and recognizing it in other speakers is hard AF, since leaving beijing i just lose more and more, but still fairly comfortable writing.

asians in general are so surprised to hear foreigners attempt their language they usually are easily impressed and encouraging (unlike those french bas s ). i also ha(d) a thick beijing accent and most people got a kick out of that

sounds like japanese is the other way around, easier to speak /understand but harder to read and write. i also found it very amusing, that in china (at least in the mid90s) most people had terrible english but were still curious and brash enough to throw one or two words at you and try and figure out where you were from... japanese people, i always got the sensation they studied english since childhood, but were too afraid to make a mistake and would default to "sorry no english" for fear of embarassment

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah the writing uses radicals, its a little daunting coming from letters but once you get a hang of the radicals you can figure stuff out and it makes sense, just a matter of memory. i remember grammar being fairly easy too. but getting the pronunciation right and recognizing it in other speakers is hard AF, since leaving beijing i just lose more and more, but still fairly comfortable writing.

asians in general are so surprised to hear foreigners attempt their language they usually are easily impressed and encouraging (unlike those french bas s ). i also ha(d) a thick beijing accent and most people got a kick out of that

sounds like japanese is the other way around, easier to speak /understand but harder to read and write. i also found it very amusing, that in china (at least in the mid90s) most people had terrible english but were still curious and brash enough to throw one or two words at you and try and figure out where you were from... japanese people, i always got the sensation they studied english since childhood, but were too afraid to make a mistake and would default to "sorry no english" for fear of embarassment
    Japanese kids and high schoolers all take English classes, but they don't learn . Same way Americans take Spanish or French classes and don't learn either. It's funny you bring up Asian countries going nuts fawning over people who make an attempt to speak their language. In Japan supposedly the best way to tell if your Japanese is good is that people stop telling you your Japanese is good (eg 日本語上手 = nihongo jouzu = you're skilled at Japanese).

The readings are bas s in Japanese. So often I'll know what a word means from the kanji but not how to pronounce it. I was playing Persona 4 Golden and looked inside a store and read the word 店番 for tending to a store in the textbox. Usually 店 (=store) is pronounced with the Chinese derived reading "ten" like it 喫茶店 = kissaten = coffee shop or 店長 = tenchou = store manager when combined with other kanji into a word, and 店 = mise = store when by itself. And 番 almost always has its on-reading "ban" used (eg like 一番 = ichiban = first / best / Number one) so since 店番 was a compound kanji word using a kanji 番 that almost always is pronounced with the Chinese derived reading "ban", surely 店番 is a Chinese loanword and pronounced tenban. Nope, looked the word up and it's ing miseban.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    japanese people, i always got the sensation they studied english since childhood, but were too afraid to make a mistake and would default to "sorry no english" for fear of embarassment

Speaking of English in Japan, another hilarious thing about Japanese is 和製英語 = waseiego, which are psuedo-English words invented in Japan. There is so much Engrish in Japanese now they make up words that sound English but aren't. Like ぺーパードライバ = peppaadoraiba = paper driver, which is a person who has a drivers license but can't drive worth a because they never do it.

But so much Engrish in 日本語 now

Last edited by baseline bum; 08-11-2020 at 01:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TLOU2 is getting a grounded setting (not surprising) and also a permadeath mode that can be applied to any difficulty setting - only people I can see doing that are speedrunners.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    TLOU2 is getting a grounded setting (not surprising) and also a permadeath mode that can be applied to any difficulty setting - only people I can see doing that are speedrunners.
    yes, but also annoying because i am going to have restart the game (again). i had started it again before Ghost of Tsushima came out and now i'm going to have to do it again good thing i wasnt that far in, right before the Joel golfing scene

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, but also annoying because i am going to have restart the game (again). i had started it again before Ghost of Tsushima came out and now i'm going to have to do it again good thing i wasnt that far in, right before the Joel golfing scene
    Wish there was a way to skip the entire Jackson section on a newgame+ tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of English in Japan, another hilarious thing about Japanese is 和製英語 = waseiego, which are psuedo-English words invented in Japan. There is so much Engrish in Japanese now they make up words that sound English but aren't. Like ぺーパードライバ = peppaadoraiba = paper driver, which is a person who has a drivers license but can't drive worth a because they never do it.

But so much Engrish in 日本語 now

i used to watch NHK and WOWOW when i lived in beijing, the japanese commentators for sports were ing hilarious. english being the global language, has been bas ized everywhere .. this conversation reminds me of that game deadly premonition, heard of it? the translation has that its so bad its good thing going for it i got a few laughs but couldnt be bothered to finish it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'll get a kick out of this song, Reck.

A few words:

boku = I
    itsumo = always
    o =
    manko = pussy
    iritai = I want to insert
    peropero = licking
    ketsu = asshole
    kimochi = feeling
    nakadashi = creampie
    daisuki = I love
    yaritai = I want to do
    mainichi = every day
    nurunuru = wet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This might seriously be the worst PC port since Batman Arkham Knight was at launch.
    I heard the settings have an option labled "original" - so what is the performance like running everything at ps4 settings?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard the settings have an option labled "original" - so what is the performance like running everything at ps4 settings?
    Here is gamegpu.ru's benchmark at medium (which is PS4 quality settings).

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-t...n-test-gpu-cpu

Also the game has microstutter too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a new Batman game is getting revealed on the 22nd

https://www.dualshockers.com/batman-...eal-dc-fandom/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is gamegpu.ru's benchmark at medium (which is PS4 quality settings).

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-t...n-test-gpu-cpu

Also the game has microstutter too.
    Piss poor(t) - I wasn't planning on bootlegging it after seeing how fantasy/sci-fi the game was, but this is still pathetic on the devs part

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Piss poor(t) - I wasn't planning on bootlegging it after seeing how fantasy/sci-fi the game was, but this is still pathetic on the devs part
    There is supposed to be a performance patch next week. It's actually a great game. If you like the Far Cry games at all it's kind of like those but with much better combat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saw that factorio had its full release today.. started playing with my son a couple months ago, game is definitely not for everyone but if you like strategy/resource management its addictive fun

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been playing Fallen Order... pretty good, tbh

Thread Information