Page 142 of 376 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152192242 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 9381
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah but you like shooters, platformers, and action games, right? How much do you have to know how to read for them? Even something like Princess Crown you could probably get by on google translate for the text. Now if you want to play RPG then yeah, learn the 2200 jouyou kanji, all the particles that and how they make up the grammar, as well as maybe 6000 vocabulary in a mix of kanji, hiragana, and katakana (three ing writing systems that are absolutely critical for reading). These days it's reasonably doable with mnemonics and SRS though.

I enjoy RPGs, as well. And so many on the Saturn were left in Japan. TED talk looks interesting. I'll give it a watch.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I enjoy RPGs, as well. And so many on the Saturn were left in Japan. TED talk looks interesting. I'll give it a watch.
    Mnemonics and SRS are really cool. I wish I knew about them when taking Spanish class at university. Then I might have actually picked up the language vs busting my ass to make a lousy B. Let me give you an example of what I mean by mnemonics though.

The kanji for mix is 混. But it's not mix like you mix some cement. It's much darker. It's used a lot for things involving miscegenation. For instance, mixed race is 混血 (mix + blood). Or it's used for bad things. Like confusion is 混同 (mix + same). Chaos is 混乱 (mix + riot). Let me show you a way to remember the kanji in a way that hints at a really nasty connotation of mix this word (and kanji symbol) seems to have:

First you have to know the kanji 匕 means spoon. It's just a pictograph. Then day is 日, which is a pictograph of the sun (it also means sun). For compare you have 比. E.g. spoon next to spoon, but the first is shaped a little weird being on the left. Left is bad in Japan. My Japanese grandmother was left handed and growing up in the 1930s-1940s they made her learn to write, to eat, to do everything right handed. So I remember 比 as comparing the cooking of my mothers in law's (bad, left) to my mother's, spoon in each hand. So compare = 比.

Now 昆 = descendant = day + compare. To remember this just think of grandparents who will spend the day comparing photos of their descendants. Since day is first in the sentence it reminds that it should either be on the left or the top of descendants. Here it's top of course.

The kanji for water is 水. But when on the left of another kanji to form a single kanji symbol it looks like this: 氵.

So just remember this horrible sentence: "Mixed marriages produce watered down descendants" to get the kanji 混 = mix = water + descendant and leave kind of a nasty feeling attached to this form of mix.

The mnemonics work for vocab too. For instance the verb "to die" is しぬ, which reads like し = "she" and ぬ = "new" but with shorter vowels (I didn't put the kanji in for it since it's distracting here). So to remember this verb just think of a sentence like "She knew too much, she had to die". To die = しぬ.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-01-2019 at 02:57 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feel like having to remember such intricate stories for every character is just gonna make it that much more difficult

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feel like having to remember such intricate stories for every character is just gonna make it that much more difficult
    You couldn't be more wrong honestly. It's way way easier using mnemonics, especially when you can personalize the stories to things that matter to you. Go study Japanese out of the standard textbook (Genki) and tell me how you pick up any of the kanji the way they show it just as graphics to copy (it's a great book aside from the garbage kanji presentation). Visual memory sucks, the vast majority of people will never be able to remember these symbols and their stroke order just from seeing and repe ion of writing unless they're Japanese kids drilling it for ten years, six days a week at school. The stories help you break things down into smaller parts that are easier to remember and work as short term memory with the goal of getting it to rote via SRS (spaced repe ion system). I have been studying kanji for three weeks now (~ 2 hours day) and I have about 550 down that I can write, understand, and recognize when reading Japanese thanks to these stories and organization that comes from a book called Remembering the Kanji by Heisig. Doing my SRS flash card deck weighted towards the ones I know worst (using a program called Anki) I'm getting about 95% of them right when doing batches of 100. ing blows me away because I always struggled with memory back in college (one time enrolled in a psychobio course for the GE credits and saw 30 definitions on the power point on the first day of class and said this and dropped it for another course instead ). Don't feel bad, I thought it sounded like bull too at first.

You have to know the 2200 jouyou kanji (means general use Chinese characters, it's a list created by Japan's equivalent to our Dept of Education) to be literate.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 06-01-2019 at 03:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mnemonics and SRS are really cool. I wish I knew about them when taking Spanish class at university. Then I might have actually picked up the language vs busting my ass to make a lousy B. Let me give you an example of what I mean by mnemonics though.

The kanji for mix is 混. But it's not mix like you mix some cement. It's much darker. It's used a lot for things involving miscegenation. For instance, mixed race is 混血 (mix + blood). Or it's used for bad things. Like confusion is 混同 (mix + same). Chaos is 混乱 (mix + riot). Let me show you a way to remember the kanji in a way that hints at a really nasty connotation of mix this word (and kanji symbol) seems to have:

First you have to know the kanji 匕 means spoon. It's just a pictograph. Then day is 日, which is a pictograph of the sun (it also means sun). For compare you have 比. E.g. spoon next to spoon, but the first is shaped a little weird being on the left. Left is bad in Japan. My Japanese grandmother was left handed and growing up in the 1930s-1940s they made her learn to write, to eat, to do everything right handed. So I remember 比 as comparing the cooking of my mothers in law's (bad, left) to my mother's, spoon in each hand. So compare = 比.

Now 昆 = descendant = day + compare. To remember this just think of grandparents who will spend the day comparing photos of their descendants. Since day is first in the sentence it reminds that it should either be on the left or the top of descendants. Here it's top of course.

The kanji for water is 水. But when on the left of another kanji to form a single kanji symbol it looks like this: 氵.

So just remember this horrible sentence: "Mixed marriages produce watered down descendants" to get the kanji 混 = mix = water + descendant and leave kind of a nasty feeling attached to this form of mix.

The mnemonics work for vocab too. For instance the verb "to die" is しぬ, which reads like し = "she" and ぬ = "new" but with shorter vowels (I didn't put the kanji in for it since it's distracting here). So to remember this verb just think of a sentence like "She knew too much, she had to die". To die = しぬ.
    Indeed. I've always liked Mnemonics, especially for something like remember long numbers. E.g. 80899736590, The music group 808 state and number 99 Wayne Gretzky released 73 records in 65 countries and 90 cities.

Obviously could be more and more refined to connect with your personal knowledge to make the sentence even easier to remember.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You couldn't be more wrong honestly. It's way way easier using mnemonics, especially when you can personalize the stories to things that matter to you. Go study Japanese out of the standard textbook (Genki) and tell me how you pick up any of the kanji the way they show it just as graphics to copy (it's a great book aside from the garbage kanji presentation). Visual memory sucks, the vast majority of people will never be able to remember these symbols and their stroke order just from seeing and repe ion of writing unless they're Japanese kids drilling it for ten years, six days a week at school. The stories help you break things down into smaller parts that are easier to remember and work as short term memory with the goal of getting it to rote via SRS (spaced repe ion system). I have been studying kanji for three weeks now (~ 2 hours day) and I have about 550 down that I can write, understand, and recognize when reading Japanese thanks to these stories and organization that comes from a book called Remembering the Kanji by Heisig. Doing my SRS flash card deck weighted towards the ones I know worst (using a program called Anki) I'm getting about 95% of them right when doing batches of 100. ing blows me away because I always struggled with memory back in college (one time enrolled in a psychobio course for the GE credits and saw 30 definitions on the power point on the first day of class and said this and dropped it for another course instead ). Don't feel bad, I thought it sounded like bull too at first.

You have to know the 2200 jouyou kanji (means general use Chinese characters, it's a list created by Japan's equivalent to our Dept of Education) to be literate.
    Yep.
    https://aeon.co/essays/your-brain-do...not-a-computer

If you don't feel like reading the excoriating of the terrible brain-as-computer metaphor, scroll down to the part where the writer tasked his students with drawing a dollar bill from memory.

That's not to say the brain might have some hidden visual memory potential, like savants being able to accurately draw a city scape from memory, but the increased horsepower in that regard usually comes at a price of some other more important mental function, like being able to cook for yourself or tie your shoes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep.
    https://aeon.co/essays/your-brain-do...not-a-computer

If you don't feel like reading the excoriating of the terrible brain-as-computer metaphor, scroll down to the part where the writer tasked his students with drawing a dollar bill from memory.

That's not to say the brain might have some hidden visual memory potential, like savants being able to accurately draw a city scape from memory, but the increased horsepower in that regard usually comes at a price of some other more important mental function, like being able to cook for yourself or tie your shoes.

That's cool about the dollar. I doubt I would have done much better other than putting the dark frame inside the outer white frame and shields in every corner. Though I would have drawn them as ovals instead of getting that more cross shaped one on the top right.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's cool about the dollar. I doubt I would have done much better other than putting the dark frame inside the outer white frame and shields in every corner. Though I would have drawn them as ovals instead of getting that more cross shaped one on the top right.
    Same. Then again, it's not like I've ever really sat and stared at a dollar bill either and tried to memorize its visual details. There are other objects I could draw from memory much more effectively.

I'd be interested to see how someone would do drawing a keyboard from memory. We don't look at keyboards a lot if we are good at typing without using sight, but we obviously have the main key locations memorized--just not visually. Makes me wonder how that would translate to trying to draw a visual image without looking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pulled the trigger on buying witcher 3 complete edition and the bioshock collection... probably wont even get to them for a while, but didnt want to pass up on those deals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pulled the trigger on buying witcher 3 complete edition and the bioshock collection... probably wont even get to them for a while, but didnt want to pass up on those deals
    Hey man since you're sharing PS Plus with someone, make sure he claims What Remains of Edith Finch real quickly before the June PS Plus games go live (it's a May PS Plus game). It's a really cool 2-3 hour story game that's a perfect palate cleanser after a long game. One of the best stories I have ever played about a cursed house and cursed family. Highly recommended when you want something really casual after taking down Sigrun.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...INCHPS4GAME001

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just scrolled up enough to read the entire explanation with the Kanji, and found it pretty cool. Stories work the same way for me as they do for you. I think it’s not only about breaking things down into smaller bits of information that are easier to remember, but attaching more meaning to them so they don’t seem completely arbitrary.

There’s a memory test where you’re given a set of a bunch of words (like 10-20 I think), and you’re given a couple minutes to study them. Then you go do something else for some time period (can’t remember if it’s 10 minutes or longer), then you are supposed to try and write down all the words you can remember. I came up with a story about the words, and managed to write down all of them. It works really well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey man since you're sharing PS Plus with someone, make sure he claims What Remains of Edith Finch real quickly before the June PS Plus games go live (it's a May PS Plus game). It's a really cool 2-3 hour story game that's a perfect palate cleanser after a long game. One of the best stories I have ever played about a cursed house and cursed family. Highly recommended when you want something really casual after taking down Sigrun.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...INCHPS4GAME001
    Journey too while he's at it. Although it's still at 15 bucks like 4 years later.

Worth it though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Journey too while he's at it. Although it's still at 15 bucks like 4 years later.

Worth it though.
    Doesn't Journey drop to $5 all the time? That's what I paid. Kind of overrated IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    somebody is supposedly selling the Dark Souls Trilogy for $35... seems too good to be true. not seeing it lower than $50 anywhere else. but this seller has good recent reviews for other dirt cheap games. i'm not an ebay regular at all, but seems sketch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Souls-Trilogy-PlayStation-4-Video-Game-PS4-New/183835265519?epid=25026719968&hash=item2acd6f89ef: g:hQsAAOSwk39c9ayp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    somebody is supposedly selling the Dark Souls Trilogy for $35... seems too good to be true. not seeing it lower than $50 anywhere else. but this seller has good recent reviews for other dirt cheap games. i'm not an ebay regular at all, but seems sketch

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Souls-Trilogy-PlayStation-4-Video-Game-PS4-New/183835265519?epid=25026719968&hash=item2acd6f89ef: g:hQsAAOSwk39c9ayp
    That'll be at least $50 by the end of the auction. I highly recommend getting at least Dark Souls 1 though. Not quite a 10/10 like Bloodborne, but an easy 9.5/10 for a couple of boss battles and for the atmosphere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That'll be at least $50 by the end of the auction. I highly recommend getting at least Dark Souls 1 though. Not quite a 10/10 like Bloodborne, but an easy 9.5/10 for a couple of boss battles and for the atmosphere.
    i've heard good things about 1 and 3. kinda like bioshock

but the collections tend to be good deals. i wonder if they'll do something during the summer sale or black friday...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've heard good things about 1 and 3. kinda like bioshock

but the collections tend to be good deals. i wonder if they'll do something during the summer sale or black friday...
    That Bioshock collection goes on sale cheap all the time. Can't say I have ever seen a deal on that Souls collection though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA2k

ing NBA finals got me pumped up. It was only for 20 dollars anyway.

Been playing with the Spurs 05 team.

Tried beating current raptors with that team but failed. Superstar in nba2k is still broken. Kawhi is making all his shots.

Tried double teaming Kawhi and ing Green, Lowry, Gasol, just dropping three point bombs.

And they changed th3 shooting mechanics again..dumbasses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    basketball games have been complete dog for over a decade. won't spend any money on one any time soon

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got a redeemable code from Sony for platting God of War. Did you get one too baseline bum

To bad I dont care for cosmetic bull like Avatars and such.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just got a redeemable code from Sony for platting God of War. Did you get one too baseline bum

To bad I dont care for cosmetic bull like Avatars and such.
    Nope. Never got mine for platting Horizon Zero Dawn either. Though I do get the PSN discount codes when they do a mass email of them, so that's way better I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Bioshock collection goes on sale cheap all the time. Can't say I have ever seen a deal on that Souls collection though.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1GJZM3EQ&th=1

just saw this pop up on amazon, dark souls collection for 38 + shipping... that seems great. says its a UK version, though. not sure what sort of compatibility issues there would be

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1GJZM3EQ&th=1

just saw this pop up on amazon, dark souls collection for 38 + shipping... that seems great. says its a UK version, though. not sure what sort of compatibility issues there would be
    None. PS3 and 4 are region free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    None. PS3 and 4 are region free.
    thats what i figured as well. 38 is a good price but since its from UK, after shipping and tax (not a prime eligible product) its adding up to $49. still a decent deal given what it normally sells for

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn Sony is not ing around on the Days of Play Sale starting tomorrow

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019...station-store/

BLOODBORNE COMPLETE EDITION BUNDLE $17.49
    DARK SOULS REMASTERED $23.99
    DARK SOULS III – DELUXE EDITION $21.24
    DYING LIGHT: THE FOLLOWING – ENHANCED EDITION $9.99
    GOD OF WAR $19.99
    HORIZON ZERO DAWN COMPLETE EDITION $9.99