Best call of all time

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Congrats Astros fans, that was a of a series. Sorry mid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gratz to Astros and their fans. Like they say, you'll never forget your first time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would "going beyond Moneyball" be?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    going into work tomorrow lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doyers shoulda won that game they started 3-0, then 4-0, then 7-4... Not taking anything away from the Astros, tbh, but LA had it's chances...

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doyers shoulda won that game they started 3-0, then 4-0, then 7-4... Not taking anything away from the Astros, tbh, but LA had it's chances...
    had their chances tonight, their manager is ing idiot who dragged his bullpen through the dirt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correa with the boss proposal.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    What would "going beyond Moneyball" be?
    Jeff Luhnow is an engineer, economist, and businessman. His analytics go beyond just the evaluation of statistical analysis. He's hired people with backgrounds in engineering, economy, psychology, law to his analytic department. Not only people without direct baseball backgrounds, but people without necessarily statistics backgrounds. His philosophy essentially and in short is to come up with any idea that may help the team and organization better. It doesn't have to deal with scouting players or pitching or swing mechanics. It doesn't have to deal with baseball or statistics at all. Any good idea that helps the organization and is worth pursuing is pursued.

It's beyond what we all know about moneyball. It's pretty crazy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeff Luhnow is an engineer, economist, and businessman. His analytics go beyond just the evaluation of statistical analysis. He's hired people with backgrounds in engineering, economy, psychology, law to his analytic department. Not only people without direct baseball backgrounds, but people without necessarily statistics backgrounds. His philosophy essentially and in short is to come up with any idea that may help the team and organization better. It doesn't have to deal with scouting players or pitching or swing mechanics. It doesn't have to deal with baseball or statistics at all. Any good idea that helps the organization and is worth pursuing is pursued.

It's beyond what we all know about moneyball. It's pretty crazy.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond son, but I didn't take anything away from that, tbh.

So, he is interested on any idea that would help his organization? Well, isn't that what all managers/owners do? I'm gonna need to look for some kind of examples of what they do, tbh.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

lol wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Thanks for taking the time to respond son, but I didn't take anything away from that, tbh.

So, he is interested on any idea that would help his organization? Well, isn't that what all managers/owners do? I'm gonna need to look for some kind of examples of what they do, tbh.
    I'll give you a baseball example first. As good as Verlander already was before Houston traded for him, Houston's resources made him better. The Astros have a very in depth program to analyze everything about their pitchers. They have a super high definition video that their organization uses and it helped identify something in Verlander's mechanics on his slider that helped him make an adjustment to add more downward tilt to make his slider even more effective. It's something I believe no other team uses.

As far as the other stuff, I don't know enough to speak in specific detail about how they use economics and psychology and philosophy and sociology and law to their advantage. But what I've read is that they use those things in greater detail than any other team. So this is sort of short guessing of the types of examples that may be what they do. So as far as evaluating prospects, beyond statistical analysis of their talent on the baseball field, let's say they would not only do a standard psychiatric evaluation on how a guy may project mentally, but they would go into the psychology and social behaviors of their family history to evaluate a prospect's mental and projectable social behavior. They would go into the socio-economics of where a player is from to help project him. Why are Venezuelan shortstops so successful? Why do Dominican corner outfielders project so well? Find the trends, identify the markers, create algorithms to provide information. Use it in the evaluation process.

Now that extends beyond their player evaluations. They use those things in hiring their front office and minor league coaches and instructors. They have those engineers in their analytics department that come up with algorithms for all sorts of things. And again I can't give you specific examples. But when you ask doesn't every owner / manager do everything they can to make their organization better? The short answer is no. Because the basic premise for Luhnow is essentially don't leave any stone unturned, no matter how irrelevant it might seem, beyond just baseball and statistics. And that's what the Astros under Luhnow has been trying to do. It's beyond advanced statistical analysis. It's everything and anything they can think of.

I'm no expert on it. I'm not trying to purport to be. That's just what I've gathered from what I've read on Luhnow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll give you a baseball example first. As good as Verlander already was before Houston traded for him, Houston's resources made him better. The Astros have a very in depth program to analyze everything about their pitchers. They have a super high definition video that their organization uses and it helped identify something in Verlander's mechanics on his slider that helped him make an adjustment to add more downward tilt to make his slider even more effective. It's something I believe no other team uses.

As far as the other stuff, I don't know enough to speak in specific detail about how they use economics and psychology and philosophy and sociology and law to their advantage. But what I've read is that they use those things in greater detail than any other team. So this is sort of short guessing of the types of examples that may be what they do. So as far as evaluating prospects, beyond statistical analysis of their talent on the baseball field, let's say they would not only do a standard psychiatric evaluation on how a guy may project mentally, but they would go into the psychology and social behaviors of their family history to evaluate a prospect's mental and projectable social behavior. They would go into the socio-economics of where a player is from to help project him. Why are Venezuelan shortstops so successful? Why do Dominican corner outfielders project so well? Find the trends, identify the markers, create algorithms to provide information. Use it in the evaluation process.

Now that extends beyond their player evaluations. They use those things in hiring their front office and minor league coaches and instructors. They have those engineers in their analytics department that come up with algorithms for all sorts of things. And again I can't give you specific examples. But when you ask doesn't every owner / manager do everything they can to make their organization better? The short answer is no. Because the basic premise for Luhnow is essentially don't leave any stone unturned, no matter how irrelevant it might seem, beyond just baseball and statistics. And that's what the Astros under Luhnow has been trying to do. It's beyond advanced statistical analysis. It's everything and anything they can think of.

I'm no expert on it. I'm not trying to purport to be. That's just what I've gathered from what I've read on Luhnow.
    Thanks for the info.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Thanks man great series btw. Hope to see you guys again next year.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    This feels unreal. Cant believe we won without a bullpen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a baseball fan, I like it. You guys were the hardest to strikeout and showed analytic calculator heads that bullpens can be overrated. Without Verlander being an innings eater against the Yankees, the Stros aren't here. The 7/8 inning starting pitcher needs to become valued again.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can. I banked a lot on Houston. They were beating the out of teams all season. As an Angels fan, it quickly became apparent that we would not be competing for the division this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dinger ball ftw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dinger ball ftw
    Those swings are so easy for good pitchers to shut down. You know from watching Javy. Hopefully he'll learn.

Thread Information