Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    https://instagram.com/p/BSt2zqZAtKV/
    Truth nukes by the Big O?
    Last edited by whitemamba; 04-10-2017 at 03:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salty a much better player broke his ty record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he was a stat padder so he would shine on today's NBA

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Oscar played at a much faster pace than today's league, which inflated his stats. This is just more "old man yells at cloud" drivel from a salty retired player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salty a much better player broke his ty record.
    Funny thing is, back then, nobody really cares about triple doubles, they didn't even track them properly back then. What really fueled the triple-double craze was actually the Magic-Bird rivalry in the 80s, and then in the 90s and early 00s, NBA with it's enormous budget and people with nothing better to do, started to look back in history and peel out all the stats to track these triple doubles that people put up in the 60s.

Point is, Robertson wasn't gunning for a triple double every night, because there was no reason to. It just happened. Whereas a player like Westbrook would be making having a triple-double one of this top priority in the game. The change in the pace of the game obviously favoured the Big O, but if an entire system is catered around a single person to get triple doubles, then the record itself is really meaningless.

I blame this on Kobe, and to an extent, Jordan. In the past, players who sacrificed team success for individual glory would be frowned upon. Players like Nique, King, Big E, McAdoo, World B Free, etc ... were not viewed favourably in the context of NBA history, largely because their stats didn't come with wins and team success, and there are even evidence saying that their stats came at the expense of team success. That all changed the last few years, when Kobe was clearly running one of the proudest franchise into the ground for individual glory. Not only was he not chastised for it, he was celebrated, and it topped of with that 60-point game and millions upon millions in merchandise sale. Then franchises, which are businesses at the core, realized that people no longer care about team success, all they care about are story lines and incidents, and they do not care whether they are manufactured or not, they do not care whether this is a WWE spectacle, all they want are stories and they are willing to pay for it. And as a direct result, we see what Westbrook is doing.

Not saying what Westbrook is doing is not impressive, because you can't just get any Joe Blow to do what he did, but Lebron, Kidd, T-Mac, Carter, Wade and a number of other big wing players can probably average a triple double if that is all they were gunning for.

The reason I blame Jordan though is because he pioneered that entire individual over team concept. It has destroyed true basketball.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Funny thing is, back then, nobody really cares about triple doubles, they didn't even track them properly back then. What really fueled the triple-double craze was actually the Magic-Bird rivalry in the 80s, and then in the 90s and early 00s, NBA with it's enormous budget and people with nothing better to do, started to look back in history and peel out all the stats to track these triple doubles that people put up in the 60s.

Point is, Robertson wasn't gunning for a triple double every night, because there was no reason to. It just happened. Whereas a player like Westbrook would be making having a triple-double one of this top priority in the game. The change in the pace of the game obviously favoured the Big O, but if an entire system is catered around a single person to get triple doubles, then the record itself is really meaningless.

I blame this on Kobe, and to an extent, Jordan. In the past, players who sacrificed team success for individual glory would be frowned upon. Players like Nique, King, Big E, McAdoo, World B Free, etc ... were not viewed favourably in the context of NBA history, largely because their stats didn't come with wins and team success, and there are even evidence saying that their stats came at the expense of team success. That all changed the last few years, when Kobe was clearly running one of the proudest franchise into the ground for individual glory. Not only was he not chastised for it, he was celebrated, and it topped of with that 60-point game and millions upon millions in merchandise sale. Then franchises, which are businesses at the core, realized that people no longer care about team success, all they care about are story lines and incidents, and they do not care whether they are manufactured or not, they do not care whether this is a WWE spectacle, all they want are stories and they are willing to pay for it. And as a direct result, we see what Westbrook is doing.

Not saying what Westbrook is doing is not impressive, because you can't just get any Joe Blow to do what he did, but Lebron, Kidd, T-Mac, Carter, Wade and a number of other big wing players can probably average a triple double if that is all they were gunning for.

The reason I blame Jordan though is because he pioneered that entire individual over team concept. It has destroyed true basketball.
    I'm sorry but I don't think he's gunning for triple doubles , I mean maybe the last few but I still doubt it. The thunder need him to put up those numbers to win. They are 33-9 when he triple doubles and they are 13-25 when he doesn't. Sure he's a high turn over PG, but no one else on that team is doing . My goodnes if they had a boogie or a Anthony Davis , and 1 respectable shooter. That team is probably a favorite to win. How can you say he's putting personal success before the team, when they are miserable if he's not playing at that level?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sorry but I don't think he's gunning for triple doubles , I mean maybe the last few but I still doubt it. The thunder need him to put up those numbers to win. They are 33-9 when he triple doubles and they are 13-25 when he doesn't. Sure he's a high turn over PG, but no one else on that team is doing . My goodnes if they had a boogie or a Anthony Davis , and 1 respectable shooter. That team is probably a favorite to win. How can you say he's putting personal success before the team, when they are miserable if he's not playing at that level?
    They are miserable because the entire team is catered to him getting stats. Steven Adams was one of the best pick and roll man last year. Wher is that this year? Oladipo, while not the best, was a decent one on one player and very capable of creating his own shots. Enes Kanter is one of the best one on one low post scorer in the league. What happened to them this year?

The thunder should be a lower seed playoff team in this tanking league. It's not like they over achieved or anything.

As for the records, if a teams entire game is centred around him getting triple doubles, what do you think would happen if he could not get one?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oscar Robertson wouldn't be a top 10 PG in today's NBA.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Poor man's westbrook, tbh. Maybe even bankrupt man's westbrook

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oscar Robertson wouldn't be a top 10 PG in today's NBA.
    Still better than Parker and more athletic than beisbol players

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Still better than Parker
    He could come out of retirement now at age 78 and drop at least 20 on Porker. Not because of "muh today's NBA" schtick, but because Porker just sucks that badly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could come out of retirement now at age 78 and drop at least 20 on Porker. Not because of "muh today's NBA" schtick, but because Porker just sucks that badly.
    And yet he starts on the 2nd best team in the league. today's NBA.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    And yet he starts on the 2nd best team in the league. today's NBA.
    Shows how great Kawhi is that he can win in spite of Porker.

Today's NBA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shows how great Kawhi is that he can win in spite of Porker.

Today's NBA
    So why isn't there another player starting in Parker's place? What does that have to do with Kawhi? today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are miserable because the entire team is catered to him getting stats. Steven Adams was one of the best pick and roll man last year. Wher is that this year? Oladipo, while not the best, was a decent one on one player and very capable of creating his own shots. Enes Kanter is one of the best one on one low post scorer in the league. What happened to them this year?

The thunder should be a lower seed playoff team in this tanking league. It's not like they over achieved or anything.

As for the records, if a teams entire game is centred around him getting triple doubles, what do you think would happen if he could not get one?
    They LOSE!!!!! Damn, what is it that you dont understand. He has to go crazy mad off in order for the Thunder to win. Their team is mediocre without WB. Name one player on that team that would start for any other team in the NBA right now. I can answer that. No one.

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    So why isn't there another player starting in Parker's place?
    Because Poop - a product of yesterday's NBA - is too stubborn to see that Porker is trash.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Poop - a product of yesterday's NBA - is too stubborn to see that Porker is trash.
    Parker was 2007 finals MVP and has 4 rings with the Spurs. Pop is letting him, Ginobilli and let Duncan go out as they saw fit as a show of appreciation. Now Tonys prime is long gone, but he was a top 3pg in the NBA at his peak. Everyone gets old and loses their game. Nothing more or less. Tony will retire very soon, so your wish will come true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They LOSE!!!!! Damn, what is it that you dont understand. He has to go crazy mad off in order for the Thunder to win. Their team is mediocre without WB. Name one player on that team that would start for any other team in the NBA right now. I can answer that. No one.
    My argument isn't that he had to go crazy for them to win, it is that the entire system is built around him getting triple doubles, and it's aiming to get him the triple doubles, much like what 6ers and AI, or even Shaq with LA. It was expected to have Shaq dominate, or the Lakers lose. Same with Westbrook's triple doubles. The entire system is centred around him getting a TD. I am not even sure if winning is a parallel goal or just a bi-product.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is about as today's NBA as he was yesterday's NBA. He embraced the ball movement trend (even arguably popularized it). he is looking into exploiting the lack in the mid range game (and defense) in today's 3pt or layup philosophy.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Parker was 2007 finals MVP and has 4 rings with the Spurs. Pop is letting him, Ginobilli and let Duncan go out as they saw fit as a show of appreciation. Now Tonys prime is long gone, but he was a top 3pg in the NBA at his peak. Everyone gets old and loses their game. Nothing more or less. Tony will retire very soon, so your wish will come true.
    Porker wants to play 5 more years or something

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh the triple double vs no triple double win-loss is bunk. No his team wins when he gets 10 assists, that means other people are actually scoring. The 10 rebounds a joke because he stat pads those so hard it's irrelevant.

I'd rather look at points per possession when he gets 10 assists and when he doesn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TOdays soft no D league would be a cakewalk for Oscar tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TOdays soft no D league would be a cakewalk for Oscar tbqh
    You, Lefty and Fabbs just dig through your book of and see which of you can post the stupidest take that day. You won today btw.

You'd be hard pressed to build a compe ive team today from the greatest players from the pre-80's, given their same conditioning and skill sets. That changes if they are brought up with more handles and better all around basketball skills instead of watching the ball as they run wildly down the court and lay the ball up or get clotheslined trying. I mean, Dr J's dunk was the highlight of that era. You see that dunk every game now. If someone did what Vince did in just one game in the 70's they'd have shut down the league. Someone like Kyrie Irving could play solo against the entire Celtics team and score every trip down the floor. Ooooh Iceman had a sweet finger roll. Are you ing serious? A finger roll? Does anyone give a today?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very soon? To me, very soon is this upcoming off-season or the one after that. He wants to play another 4 years. I hope he's not looking for anymore than the minimum.

I hope TP was saving himself for the playoffs and is healthier than he's been in a while. I hope we can see some vintage TP in the playoffs. He'd really elevate the Spurs if he can turn back the clock a little bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Couldn't dribble with his head up - these people forget about youtube.

Thread Information