Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet the best 3 players in the league are SFs, with Kawhi (arguably the #1) doing most of his damage in the midrange/post/defense.

Kawhi keeping the league healthy
    Even then Durant is mostly perimeter-oriented, with Kawhi and LeBron being pretty balanced in terms of jumpers and post-ups.

I think the point was more that you have to go distressingly far down the list of the best players in the league to find a big man who works even half the time in the low block.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even then Durant is mostly perimeter-oriented, with Kawhi and LeBron being pretty balanced in terms of jumpers and post-ups.

I think the point was more that you have to go distressingly far down the list of the best players in the league to find a big man who works even half the time in the low block.
    Well, the point I was responding to was that PGs are the most valuable position in the league.

But even if that's not true, we're still seeing a "downsizing" - 10 years ago, the top 3 players were PFs (Duncan/Garnett/Dirk), and 20 years ago they were centers (Shaq/Hakeem/Dave). So they're gradually getting smaller

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the point I was responding to was that PGs are the most valuable position in the league.

But even if that's not true, we're still seeing a "downsizing" - 10 years ago, the top 3 players were PFs (Duncan/Garnett/Dirk), and 20 years ago they were centers (Shaq/Hakeem/Dave). So they're gradually getting smaller
    You definitely need an elite primary ball handler to have a top offense, but it doesn't have to be in the form of a small guard. Teams led by small guards almost always have a limited ceiling and the only ones who have been the best players on championship teams, are Thomas, Billups and Curry. The first two were more ensemble casts and the latter's play has been relatively subpar in back to back Finals, though he was not at 100% in the last one. But that's another issue with them: the slightest injury can greatly diminish their value.

Despite what the league and their partners try to sell the no nothing casuals, who supposedly "can't relate" to most NBA players, this sport will always be about size and not just power forwards and centers. Johnson, Bird, Jordan, Bryant, James, were/are all big for their position. The difference between now and the past is, the way the size is utilized has evolved. This started with Webber, Garnett, Wallace, Duncan, Nowitzki, Gasol and has carried on to Durant, Griffin, Cousins, Davis, Antetokounmpo, Embiid, Towns, Jokic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is your "modern" NBA. The power of the 3 point shot has transformed basketball from an inside/out game to an outside/in game, and because PGs conduct most of their business beyond the 3 point line, it gives them an immense impact, especially if they're good from distance off the dribble, which nearly every young PG is today. This forces defense to over-commit and thus opens up passing lanes even more, giving PGs numerous playmaking options. Furthermore, PG centric offenses are easier. Less moving parts. If your PG can dribble and shoot, all he needs is a pick to get free to initiate a defensive breakdown.

It makes for an aesthetically pleasing, "fast paced" game that casuals love, but it's trash basketball.

But there's no denying that PGs are by far the most important players in basketball now. Kawhi, etc are a dying breed, even if their style of basketball is technically more difficult and more impressive. People don't want to watch a post-game anymore. They want to see chucked 3s off the dribble, a la Wardell.

Today's NBA indeed.
    While I agree with your general point, 3 of the top 5 players in the league are still non-PGs (LeBron, Kawhi, KD)...I still think wings are more important. PGs have a tendency to get slowed down in the playoffs when other teams throw length at them.

How many times has a PG led a team to a le as the clear-cut best player on the team? Curry did it in 2015, but when was the last time it happened before that? Isiah?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Payton best PG ever

in his prime of course

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gary Payton best PG ever

in his prime of course
    Gary Payton just picked Raymond as his DPoY

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curry is still the only PG that can consistently hit 3's off the dribble, he's just a freak. Obviously the 3 point line isn't fair in the sense that the shot is worth 50% more but not 50% more in terms of difficulty.

Thread Information