Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's awful.
    I don't even want Gasol tbqh with you.
    they have nothing in the way of centers with that group when Gasol turns unplayable with another year in those bones.
    Gasol's on the team. I'm not paying to move him if I'm the Spurs. And I don't even think I am inclined to use cap space on a PG. They simply need to stay over the cap from here on out. I can understand not wanting Teodosic (even though this was always going to be his contract range), but the team needs to realistically address its guard issues.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're too new of a poster, just like everyone else I suppose.

I was Harlem's Enemy in the Spurs Dark days 08-13

I made a thread about him a few years ago asking for him to get banned. He got banned for months thanks to my request of course.
    I remember Harlem back when he was a Green hater. You have seniority on me for sure, but that only makes it sadder that you've become his schizophrenic twin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon=Mills >>>> Simmons on my "players to keep" list, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't all make our (board) living being caricatures of Harlem.

Lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the deal with that Hanga guy? I haven't been keeping yo much with Euroball as much as in the past but he doesn't seem to be much of a shooter. And we need shooters, tbh.
    Hard to to tell. He seems like he has a decent understanding of positional defending and he won DPOY for his league this year..But who knows how good he is defensively. So many of his highlights are all blocks and steals...None of which tell the whole story. Maybe Europe is a bit behind in terms of awarding individual accolades.

He's not as good of a shooter as Green..Probably not even Manu's level.

Straight line driver..and hard to tell if his athleticism is NBA level.

I'm really not sold on him having a role at all, no one should...Summer league should paint a clearer picture.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yep..Salary-dumping Pau is my first off-season priority if I were PATFO..
    I would too, but unfortunately we aren't PATFO. Plus, who's to say SA can utilize the 15-16 million for one year better than 1 yr of Gasol? Just because they could create the space, doesn't mean they could actually use it better than Gasol. Nothing is guaranteed in Free Agency. I'm just glad he just has 1 yr left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon=Mills >>>> Simmons on my "players to keep" list, tbh.
    Dedmon's all about opportunity cost for me. It costs almost nothing to keep Simmons. It costs a ton to keep Dedmon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree w/ Bertans getting a bigger role.

I do think Lee will be back and him and Bertans will back up Gasol/LA initially. However, I do think there's talent in the front court late in 1st that can play right away and there's a chance that can happen on the Spurs because of how thin the front-court will be if they just re-sign Lee -- since Dedmon will likely go elsewhere because of his late season demotion ( his agent has to hate the current situation - see Nazr).
    I think people are reading too much into Dedmon's demotion. With the need to up Aldridge's minutes and play small some against the Rockets/Warriors, either Lee or Dedmon was going to get squeezed and in typical Pop fashion, he went with the veteran over the playoff neophyte (to be fair, they needed as much offense as possible).

I think they want Dedmon to be the starting center going forward. Next season, if re-signed, he'll be in his second season as a Spur, be making the MLE and Lee will be gone, all of which will guarantee a rotation spot throughout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would too, but unfortunately we aren't PATFO. Plus, who's to say SA can utilize the 15-16 million for one year better than 1 yr of Gasol? Just because they could create the space, doesn't mean they could actually use it better than Gasol. Nothing is guaranteed in Free Agency. I'm just glad he just has 1 yr left.
    I wonder if its at all possible to trade his expiring contract. He's going to opt in, but I am also fairly convinced that he's not happy with his role at all specially since there is a possibility they keep Dedmon for the MLE

Don't really know CBA enough to know if that's even legal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to to tell. He seems like he has a decent understanding of positional defending and he won DPOY for his league this year..But who knows how good he is defensively. So many of his highlights are all blocks and steals...None of which tell the whole story. Maybe Europe is a bit behind in terms of awarding individual accolades.

He's not as good of a shooter as Green..Probably not even Manu's level.

Straight line driver..and hard to tell if his athleticism is NBA level.

I'm really not sold on him having a role at all, no one should...Summer league should paint a clearer picture.
    "probably not Manu's level"? He shot like 30% from 3 on thr Euroleague with a FIBA three pt line. That would make him the worst 3 pt shooter on the Spurs. If that's his norm, I do not want, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dedmon's all about opportunity cost for me. It costs almost nothing to keep Simmons. It costs a ton to keep Dedmon.
    Why do you think it will cost nothing to keep Simmons?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people are reading too much into Dedmon's demotion. This is typical Pop, trusting the veteran Lee over the playoff neophyte. I think they want Dedmon to be the starting center going forward. Next season, if re-signed, he'll be in his second season as a Spur, be making the MLE and Lee will be gone, all of which will guarantee a rotation spot throughout.
    I know Spurs value him. They like him. I know his minutes have decreased because of Pop going with the offensive option who is a proven vet over him as the 3rd big off the bench. I know Pop has chosen to go small a lot more than usual ( which is the right move). Going small gives LA minutes a lot of minutes at the 5, creating a cir stance where Dedmon has no real shot at getting minutes. I mean Pau started game 1 and only got 16 minutes.

I'm just looking at it through the lenses of Dedmon and his agent. You think they like this situation going into one of his most important summers of his life? You think they'd choose SA over another team offering the same deal? After this? Its exactly what happened with Nazr in 06', Spurs loved him but sat him going into the most important summer for him. Spurs offered the same as Detroit did, but Nazr chose Detroit because of his demotion at the end of the season.

Now do I know Dedmon is thinking this? Of course not. I'm just using common sense and some empathy towards this situation to come up with these thoughts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "probably not Manu's level"? He shot like 30% from 3 on thr Euroleague with a FIBA three pt line. That would make him the worst 3 pt shooter on the Spurs. If that's his norm, I do not want, tbh.
    I was speaking in terms of shooting potential. Manu's mechanics is suspect if he was rookie a today.

I'm saying his shooting mechanics makes it a bit more difficult to believe he can improve it to around 37% at a decent volume.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you think it will cost nothing to keep Simmons?
    His cap hold is so small that pretty much any scenario can include keeping him. Mills is medium because the team has his Bird rights. Dedmon will likely take cap space, which means letting a lot of players go. Huge opportunity cost there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know Spurs value him. They like him. I know his minutes have decreased because of Pop going with the offensive option who is a proven vet over him as the 3rd big off the bench. I know Pop has chosen to go small a lot more than usual ( which is the right move). Going small gives LA minutes a lot of minutes at the 5, creating a cir stance where Dedmon has no real shot at getting minutes. I mean Pau started game 1 and only got 16 minutes.

I'm just looking at it through the lenses of Dedmon and his agent. You think they like this situation going into one of his most important summers of his life? You think they'd choose SA over another team offering the same deal? After this? Its exactly what happened with Nazr in 06', Spurs loved him but sat him going into the most important summer for him. Spurs offered the same as Detroit did, but Nazr chose Detroit because of his demotion at the end of the season.

Now do I know Dedmon is thinking this? Of course not. I'm just using common sense and some empathy towards this situation to come up with these thoughts.
    Yeah, I know and it's logical to do so. But I think if the reasoning is explained to him and the money is equal or relatively so, he re-signs. By spurning the Warriors, he made it clear he wanted to be a Spur and he seems to have really enjoyed his time as one. Plus, Gasol will be 37 and potentially gone in a season and depending on what happens with the draft, the only other center in the pipeline is Milutinov (though Aldridge will play more as he ages). Throw in that it's an elite team and they check every box.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I made a thread about him a few years ago asking for him to get banned. He got banned for months thanks to my request of course.
    and yet you only got on kawhi's wagon after the 2013 finals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His cap hold is so small that pretty much any scenario can include keeping him. Mills is medium because the team has his Bird rights. Dedmon will likely take cap space, which means letting a lot of players go. Huge opportunity cost there.
    but if he gets signed to an offer sheet elsewhere, it would force us to accelerate other moves...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I know and it's logical to do so. But I think if the reasoning is explained to him and the money is equal or relatively so, he re-signs. By spurning the Warriors, he made it clear he wanted to be a Spur and he seems to have really enjoyed his time as one. Plus, Gasol will be 37 and potentially gone in a season and depending on what happens with the draft, the only other center in the pipeline is Milutinov (though Aldridge will play more as he ages). Throw in that it's an elite team and they check every box.
    Someone said that there was a tweet or article stating Dedmon was unhappy with the Spurs' culture earlier in the season. So I'm not sure. I think he'd really need a good plan to stay on. Dude's also going to be 28 and may only have this one contract to set himself up. I think the full MLE is more than fair (would like the third year to be partially guaranteed and the fourth completely non-guaranteed), but I could see a team offering $50M/3 easily trying to get their Moreyball center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but if he gets signed to an offer sheet elsewhere, it would force us to accelerate other moves...
    Not really. The moratorium should give them all the time they need unless Jon just wants to be an asshole and sign at midnight just to make the Spurs weaker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really. The moratorium should give them all the time they need unless Jon just wants to be an asshole and sign at midnight just to make the Spurs weaker.
    its also in his interest to sign earlier before market dries up/funds run out... especially if he plays himself into a good sized deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's awful.
    I don't even want Gasol tbqh with you.
    they have nothing in the way of centers with that group when Gasol turns unplayable with another year in those bones.

Gasol has been pretty damn good off the bench. That's too much to pay for a bench big, but the money is already committed. He's got at least another year at this level, playing against other bench bigs. I can't imagine the Spurs just dumping him, only to get another player of (hopefully) the same level. And if he's really as bad as you're saying, why would any team give full contract value for him?

I think he's pretty close to inevitable next year. The big question is whether the Spurs can score a C who is good enough to be a legit starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Holding out is not the way to go, if you're a second-tier player who really needs to get paid to secure his future. If he was one of the most sought-after FA's of the season, sure. But you're right, he needs to jump on a good package early, and not chance having to settle for a 1-year deal somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    troll account

Can't you just hand this account to TDMVPDPOY. this board needs more unique personalities

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its also in his interest to sign earlier before market dries up/funds run out... especially if he plays himself into a good sized deal
    Not really. Like the Spurs should know before the moratorium ends who they're getting and how they can fit them into the cap. Should only take a few minutes to fax in those transactions. Simmons (knowing he's going to be a Spur) would have to be camping out in front of his deal in order to obstruct that.

Yes, it's possible for teams to sign a guy to an offer sheet during the moratorium under the new CBA (and I hope I'm wrong about that, because it's a stupid rule change). In that case, the clock doesn't start until the moratorium is lifted, but there isn't a delay to get the transactions in, I'm pretty sure. I do think a Tyler Johnson--like deal sees Simmons in a different uniform. But if it's something that can be contained in the MLE, then he's definitely not signing anything, as the Spurs can offer him such a deal without the need to match.

I don't think the team will have to pick their way through too much strife to hold onto him, especially if they remain over the cap like I hope they do.

Thread Information