Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather the Spurs get a hybrid wing that has great size/length to play next to Kawhi at the 3/4 than get a traditional PF that can't defend in space and can't put the ball on floor to close outs when they're spreading the floor.
    You mean converted combo forwards, who started off as primarily small forwards, but are now almost strictly power forwards, like M. Williams, T. Young and J. Johnson? I didn't include Green, because he can also play small ball center.

I don't know if you include Aldridge in this scenario, but if so, he wouldn't be a great fit next to those types because they'd have no roll man on offense and a lack of rebounding and shot blocking. Even if, as expected, he ages into primarily playing center, he still needs to be paired with a power forward who has some elements more typically associated with centers. The third big should be more of the type you're describing, with their role dependant on match-up, like Splitter and Diaw.

Primarily playing one big lineups, on a full time basis, only make sense if you have a big similar to Duncan, that does traditional center things at a high level or if you have James or Green.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Regarding Pau ....

I think they can offload him to Minnesota in a variety of scenarios. He and Thibs were good together, and he's gotten over his 'coming off the bench" issues.

Minnesota will probably have plenty of cap space to just absorb him considering how little of a free agent destination they are. Also, they signed Cole Aldrich and he was a disaster, less than 10 minutes a game in 62 games.

I could see a Pau for Rubio deal involving picks, or a Pau for Aldrich deal to shave off close to 9 million this coming year with only $2 guaranteed after that.

Getting the cap room this summer is looking much more desirable than waiting for next summer when the free agent class is even worse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook's is one of best posters on Internet! Unlike stupid Americans who only say stupids stuffs like "v-span is not nba levels".

NBA is like Goat sh*t, extra soft
    When V-Span is on the court no games is lost
    Teodosic over V-Span? You out of your mind?
    V-Span clock is never broken durin' crunch time
    wtf

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No more American whites or soft choking Euros.....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean converted combo forwards, who started off as primarily small forwards, but are now almost strictly power forwards, like M. Williams, T. Young and J. Johnson? I didn't include Green, because he can also play small ball center.

I don't know if you include Aldridge in this scenario, but if so, he wouldn't be a great fit next to those types because they'd have no roll man on offense and a lack of rebounding and shot blocking. Even if, as expected, he ages into primarily playing center, he still needs to be paired with a power forward who has some elements more typically associated with centers. The third big should be more of the type you're describing, with their role dependant on match-up, like Splitter and Diaw.

Primarily playing one big lineups, on a full time basis, only make sense if you have a big similar to Duncan, that does traditional center things at a high level or if you have James or Green.
    I'm not including LA in this scenario. I think he has one more year at best with the Spurs. He's gone by summer of 18'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand you saying that it was spent for last season. He has a player option for $16M next season. I don't see any other team offering him that much to entice him to leave that behind. If he decides to opt out, to give the Spurs a break? I'd love to have him back at a lower price. But if he exercises his option, the only way the Spurs move him is to give up something to sweeten the deal.

Jackie Butler got a big contract from the Spurs. (People like to forget that there were national analysts who said that it was one of the shrewd pick-ups of that offseason.) Butler got his big payday, and then sat on his ass and got fat. He did nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. Shedding his contract essentially cost the team rights to Luis Scola. The ST meltdowns over losing Scola went on for years.

The Spurs don't get better by mortgaging their future to get out of one year of Pau's salary. Figure that he will exercise his option, and that money is as good as spent. He'll be a damn good backup C. Unless they can't come up with a good starting C, in which case he'll be a weak link in next year's SL.

But, no, it's not likely that anyone will take his $16M salary off the Spurs' hands, out of the goodness of their hearts.
    I am sure that if they wanted to shed Pau they could.
    they easily shed Tiago who was injury prone and nowhere near the player Pau is and did the same with Diaw.
    They don't need to mortgage the future to shed Pau. I am positive he could find takers if he wanted, maybe not for that much, or maybe indeed for that much. But he's at market price. He is not a great pairing with Lamarcus IMO both too similar (sotf 7 footer shooters primarily, neither likes to roll or bang inside, Pau needs to play with a defensive big and so does Lamarcus etc.) We will just disagree that any future needs mortgaging. His contract is also an expiring contract next season. I am sure there is still a market for him.

Thanks for the Butler story, gives perspective. I don't think Pau has been lazy for the Spurs, he's the player he's been the past couple of seasons, he's just not a great fit with Lamarcus IMO and his minutes have decreased as a result as well as his usage.

It's no matter bc he's likely staying put. I find it hard to believe that Spurs didn't know Pau's game and weaknesses at this stage, so they signed him knowing where he's at bc they valued what he still brings.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 05-19-2017 at 05:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope you're right about that first part. I hate the thought of giving up a pick right now, even though I know that 59 isn't very likely to bring in any real help. But it happens. And cheap role-players are getting to be a valuable commodity with this salary situation.

Mostly it's the second part about the money not being used more efficiently with whoever they would be bringing in. Then it's just a salary dump that weakens the team AND the loss of a pick. Pau was making just short of $8M before he came here, IIRC. Best case scenario is that he opts out with the intention of re-signing. I wouldn't exactly cheer over a 3 year, $22M deal. But I would love to have that extra cap space this next year. And $7M for him as a backup C next year would be just fine.
    A second round pick was shed to acquire the rights to the last year of Ray McCallum's rook season in 2015-16. :0
    59 pick is no different than Livio Jean Charles tbh

Thread Information