Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I know it's high school math, but I read it was going to be hard. I biked the 30 miles to near downtown Dallas and took the test on Friday and passed (with zero studying) with a 290 out of 300. I know it's mostly high school math, but it did have statistics and derivatives on it, so I'm gonna give myself props, okay?

Since I signed up for the alternative cert thingy (already having had a BBA), they said I can probably get a job for the fall. I'll be able to work at any district in Texas but I live in Plano so I want something close enough by. Is this true?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    How's the marriage, Andrew?

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I know it's high school math, but I read it was going to be hard. I biked the 30 miles to near downtown Dallas and took the test on Friday and passed (with zero studying) with a 290 out of 300. I know it's mostly high school math, but it did have statistics and derivatives on it, so I'm gonna give myself props, okay?

Since I signed up for the alternative cert thingy (already having had a BBA), they said I can probably get a job for the fall. I'll be able to work at any district in Texas but I live in Plano so I want something close enough by. Is this true?
    congrats brah. I've actually taken that too. tbh I private tutor on the side of my real job and that's literally the only reason I got it just to appeal to parents but I have zero interest in ever teaching. I didn't really need to study at all either since I tutor all the Calc's and Diff Eq. It was basically a Pre-cal test with basic stats and calc principles.

I will say this...if you really want to teach you will have zero problem getting a job. I passed that and was too lazy to finish out the actual alternate cert (just want to say i'm "Highly Qualified") and I've still been FLOODED with random school districts wanting interviews. As long as you're qualified they don't even care if you finish off the cert or not. Math really is a high need in the state since most guys smart enough to do it like us would rather make good money in the tech sector as opposed to working 60 hours a week, for less pay, dealing with brats that hate us.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    congrats brah. I've actually taken that too. tbh I private tutor on the side of my real job and that's literally the only reason I got it just to appeal to parents but I have zero interest in ever teaching. I didn't really need to study at all either since I tutor all the Calc's and Diff Eq. It was basically a Pre-cal test with basic stats and calc principles.

I will say this...if you really want to teach you will have zero problem getting a job. I passed that and was too lazy to finish out the actual alternate cert (just want to say i'm "Highly Qualified") and I've still been FLOODED with random school districts wanting interviews. As long as you're qualified they don't even care if you finish off the cert or not. Math really is a high need in the state since most guys smart enough to do it like us would rather make good money in the tech sector as opposed to working 60 hours a week, for less pay, dealing with brats that hate us.
    Yeah I did that for 8 months, better part of last year and got laid off early this year, and couldn't stand sitting around on the computer 8 hours a day and falling asleep and being constantly being pestered by annoying, smelly Indians. If I hadn't gotten laid off I probably would have quit after being there 1 year. No thanks to that again.

Also, the market up here stinks for new IT jobs unless you really like Java/C#. I hate object oriented programming. I wouldn't mind doing data analytics/data mining though, but there's not many jobs for that.

I'd rather deal with passing off 16 year olds with gf/bf/sports/cheerleading problems than with smelly old Indian men who have zero respect for our country and our home culture... when in Rome, do as the Romans do, okay? They obviously don't get it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    How's the marriage, Andrew?
    She made me beer baked chicken and irish potatoes and vegetables today. Yum

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Yeah I did that for 8 months, better part of last year and got laid off early this year, and couldn't stand sitting around on the computer 8 hours a day and falling asleep and being constantly being pestered by annoying, smelly Indians. If I hadn't gotten laid off I probably would have quit after being there 1 year. No thanks to that again.

Also, the market up here stinks for new IT jobs unless you really like Java/C#. I hate object oriented programming. I wouldn't mind doing data analytics/data mining though, but there's not many jobs for that.

I'd rather deal with passing off 16 year olds with gf/bf/sports/cheerleading problems than with smelly old Indian men who have zero respect for our country and our home culture... when in Rome, do as the Romans do, okay? They obviously don't get it.
    Do what you gotta do tbh imho.

What class are you looking to teach? Even if you do higher level high school math like Pre-Cal or Calculus, my understanding is that you have to also teach a brainlet course (like non-AP Algebra 1 or 2) and deal with that headache. You live in Plano right? I thought that was a haven for IT related jobs? I'm trying to better myself in Java/C++ currently. Good with python though.

rofl, I know what you mean about dealing with tech coworkers. Some of these mongoloids are as socially inept as it gets and it really holds them back.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Here I am retired after 33 years in the insurance biz, while here you are.......probably get a job for the fall.....hahaha~~~

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Here I am retired after 33 years in the insurance biz, while here you are.......probably get a job for the fall.....hahaha~~~
    being able to hold a job as an insurance salesman for that long is nothing to beat your chest about

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    being able to hold a job as an insurance salesman for that long is nothing to beat your chest about
    Sure it is little man. Here I sit making $$$$$$$$$ on renewal %. Does it get any better than that?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Do what you gotta do tbh imho.

What class are you looking to teach? Even if you do higher level high school math like Pre-Cal or Calculus, my understanding is that you have to also teach a brainlet course (like non-AP Algebra 1 or 2) and deal with that headache. You live in Plano right? I thought that was a haven for IT related jobs? I'm trying to better myself in Java/C++ currently. Good with python though.

rofl, I know what you mean about dealing with tech coworkers. Some of these mongoloids are as socially inept as it gets and it really holds them back.
    3 years ago, yeah. Job outlook was great when I changed my major around January 2014. Most of them froze their hiring after around early-mid 2015. Now supply exceeds demand, unfortunately.

And yes they generally make you teach a full day to fill out your schedule, especially if your high school has a standard 8-class period day. The other option is coaching during the "other" periods where you're not teaching your primary subject, if the particular school has any vacancies there. There just aren't enough Pre-AP/AP Stats or Calculus students to go around. Personally, AP Stats would be my #1 choice. I wouldn't mind an Algebra I/II/College Algebra section or two, yeah it's meticulous but it should be easy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Sure it is little man. Here I sit making $$$$$$$$$ on renewal %. Does it get any better than that?
    67 years old and still worrying about $$$$$ ? Not even living in a mansion away from the city? Pathetic

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Pedovante bragging about being an old fart

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    3 years ago, yeah. Job outlook was great when I changed my major around January 2014. Most of them froze their hiring after around early-mid 2015. Now supply exceeds demand, unfortunately.

And yes they generally make you teach a full day to fill out your schedule, especially if your high school has a standard 8-class period day. The other option is coaching during the "other" periods where you're not teaching your primary subject, if the particular school has any vacancies there. There just aren't enough Pre-AP/AP Stats or Calculus students to go around. Personally, AP Stats would be my #1 choice. I wouldn't mind an Algebra I/II/College Algebra section or two, yeah it's meticulous but it should be easy.
    Interesting, thought you would be more of a Calculus guy than Stats considering your background but both are pretty cool IMO. Stats has det Bernoulli after all.

tbh from my experience, out of all the high school maths if you go to a good school, Pre-AP Algebra II actually covers the most interesting stuff and they pull stuff from completely out of left field (Probability and Counting Principles, Vectors, Maximizing and minimizing Multivariable functions, conic inequalities etc) . Makes for a pretty cool math course whereas AP courses like Calculus or Stats get pretty routine after awhile since you can't really stray away from the textbook.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Interesting, thought you would be more of a Calculus guy than Stats considering your background but both are pretty cool IMO. Stats has det Bernoulli after all.

tbh from my experience, out of all the high school maths if you go to a good school, Pre-AP Algebra II actually covers the most interesting stuff and they pull stuff from completely out of left field (Probability and Counting Principles, Vectors, Maximizing and minimizing Multivariable functions, conic inequalities etc) . Makes for a pretty cool math course whereas AP courses like Calculus or Stats get pretty routine after awhile since you can't really stray away from the textbook.
    Always been more of an algebra guy than a shapes/geometry/trig guy tbh. Not really a visual learner.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    67 years old and still worrying about $$$$$ ? Not even living in a mansion away from the city? Pathetic
    Little man, who is worried?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    maths/science high school teachers g et paid good money, nearly equivalent to what the principal earns...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    maths/science high school teachers g et paid good money, nearly equivalent to what the principal earns...
    Unfortunately in Texas at least, all teachers in a given district get paid the same regardless of subject/level

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Unfortunately in Texas at least, all teachers in a given district get paid the same regardless of subject/level
    that's fck up then man...u teaching hardest subjects and u earn the same amount some clown teaching basic or easy subjects Is just wrong...

I dunno how its in the usa, in Australia u get allocated, those jobs out in the countryside comes with incentives man, either free rent and or u don't have to pay back student loans...and the student to teacher ratio per class I dunno....but in the city its about 22-30 students per teacher each class...

the problem is oversupply of teachers and not enough schools, or hard to get a placement job....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    that's fck up then man...u teaching hardest subjects and u earn the same amount some clown teaching basic or easy subjects Is just wrong...

I dunno how its in the usa, in Australia u get allocated, those jobs out in the countryside comes with incentives man, either free rent and or u don't have to pay back student loans...and the student to teacher ratio per class I dunno....but in the city its about 22-30 students per teacher each class...

the problem is oversupply of teachers and not enough schools, or hard to get a placement job....
    brah it's a bureaucratic government job...there's no negotiating pay. But if you want to teach math in Texas and are qualified, you'd have to lock yourself in the closet with no access to your phone, e-mail, etc in order to not find a job. School districts will practically bang down your door and drag you kicking and screaming into a position whereas the Humanities teachers really struggle to find something.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    brah it's a bureaucratic government job...there's no negotiating pay. But if you want to teach math in Texas and are qualified, you'd have to lock yourself in the closet with no access to your phone, e-mail, etc in order to not find a job. School districts will practically bang down your door and drag you kicking and screaming into a position whereas the Humanities teachers really struggle to find something.
    Exactly. And if you want higher pay (ex. $50k or more as a first year teacher) you can always choose a district that pays more if you can teach a highly demanded field such as high school math. Different districts pay different salaries, even within a given city or county. Usually the more upscale suburban to medium-urban districts will pay the highest. But it could mean a longer commute.

My mom has qualifications for Generalist 4-8 (refuses to do math though)... EC-12 Art, and EC-6 education. Pretty much everything but high school and math. That's where the jobs are and it's why she struggles to find full time jobs from year to year.

There are other factors that can help you navigate into a slightly higher paid position, such as coaching for the school on the side of your teaching position.

But to answer his question, yes, in a given school in Texas the AP Calc/Stats guy gets paid the same base salary as the fashion design teacher lady. Fair or not, that's TExES rules.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Mark Celibate When I say calc vs stats I don't mean either are hard... give me algebraic derivatives and integrals all day, business-y calc problems etc... just keep the sin/cos/csc/tan crap the away from me. I don't do shapes or geometry, that . And no proofs, that's rubbish.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    But to answer his question, yes, in a given school in Texas the AP Calc/Stats guy gets paid the same base salary as the fashion design teacher lady. Fair or not, that's TExES rules.
    lol art teachers getting paid or bigger share of the school budget to fund their dept when they do nothing at all in class...

as for teachers and pay scale, depends on the school...if its a top school, to keep that pedigree they attract better teachers with better pay, leader to better results = better state funding....why is it some public schools are better then all of the public school? if its state own shouldn't it be equal playing field? yet some public schools has better funding, better facilities, yet how come the state cant spread that same concept/method across the board to increase other low performance public schools...that's because all the good teachers are being poach by better paying schools...

I heard they are making it harder, every 2-3yrs u need to go do extra classes or get retrain to keep up new teaching methods...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    lol art teachers getting paid or bigger share of the school budget to fund their dept when they do nothing at all in class...

as for teachers and pay scale, depends on the school...if its a top school, to keep that pedigree they attract better teachers with better pay, leader to better results = better state funding....why is it some public schools are better then all of the public school? if its state own shouldn't it be equal playing field? yet some public schools has better funding, better facilities, yet how come the state cant spread that same concept/method across the board to increase other low performance public schools...that's because all the good teachers are being poach by better paying schools...

I heard they are making it harder, every 2-3yrs u need to go do extra classes or get retrain to keep up new teaching methods...
    You have to do it a few days a year every year, usually 3 or so classes at the regional ed office during the schoolyear on a weekday. There's no way out of it unless you really want to go on Saturdays. Better to knock it out and give the kids a chance to get caught up on homework with a sub. It counts as school business so it doesn't count against your paid days off.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    You have to do it a few days a year every year, usually 3 or so classes at the regional ed office during the schoolyear on a weekday. There's no way out of it unless you really want to go on Saturdays. Better to knock it out and give the kids a chance to get caught up on homework with a sub. It counts as school business so it doesn't count against your paid days off.
    then aren't u better off going to into the private sector like tutoring? that's also good money, see a lot of t hem small businesses opening up with afterschool programs like tutoring and ...get paid good money unless ur tutoring ppl at home receiving cash in hand...

just like uni lecturers who get paid by contract instead of being a full time employee of the university, 200-300bucks per class lesson, but no other incentives compared to full time teachers...not bad just to stand up and talk to students, whether they understand it or not is up to the student

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    then aren't u better off going to into the private sector like tutoring? that's also good money, see a lot of t hem small businesses opening up with afterschool programs like tutoring and ...get paid good money unless ur tutoring ppl at home receiving cash in hand...

just like uni lecturers who get paid by contract instead of being a full time employee of the university, 200-300bucks per class lesson, but no other incentives compared to full time teachers...not bad just to stand up and talk to students, whether they understand it or not is up to the student
    If it's after school, who's to say you can't do both? If you're organized enough to do your grades and planning and during conference periods, student exams, etc.

Thread Information